Sara Kingdom's Auron Rebel Training (sarakingdom)

sarakingdom

I was going to do a Doctor Who-themed challenge, but I can meet you halfway on the Firefly theme, and go with the original Western-inspired criminal-rebel-misfits-in-space show, the grandfather of them all: Blake's 7.

Gosh, that makes it look so... serious.  I suppose I'll be disabusing you of that idea over the course of this challenge.

This show's got a smuggler, and a computer hacker who broke a bank, and a petty thief, and a murderer, and two political criminals trying to topple a corrupt government: the lead, Blake, and Cally, an alien from Auron, who's an actual proper trained rebel.  (Those who can count have noticed that's not seven.  Yeah, slightly sore point there.  They never got around to it and tried to claim the disembodied talking computer Zen was the seventh.)  They're on the run, pursued by a madman with a grudge and the most dangerous woman from any TV show ever, planning rebellion and trying not to kill each other or snark each other to death, and, despite the show occasionally forgetting it has female characters, Cally is one of the best of whole lot: the committed alien terrorist and vicious killer who's also the kindest and most genuinely moral one of the entire bunch.  (Admittedly, it's a low bar on that ship.)

So it's time for some actual proper rebel training.

My longer-term goal is weight loss and building up strength, flexibility, and good conditioning for martial arts, maybe take up some climbing or parkour on the side for kicks.

gallery_19426_1288_3057.png

This is Cally trying to interrogate and kill three of her future friends, as one does.  The great thing about the DVD releases is that, now, after she pushes Blake down that hill and onto the ground, you can see her bootprint clearly on his chest.  She genuinely got a good kick in there; that always makes my day.  Also, I think there's some ukemi in there, or at least we'll say there is, cuz she takes a fall and ends up on the ground.  It counts.  So:

Goal: Aikido training

I'm dojo-less at the moment, but I want to get a training plan for what I can train, so that when I go back, I'm in better shape than when I left.  The basic warmups from training sessions each morning, some ukemi training, some sword kata.  Those seem like the immediate things to work into my training routine.

gallery_19426_1288_37584.png

That's Cally scaling a castle with Blake to free a deposed and imprisoned president because politics.  The politics, and the president, were actually very interesting.  But the important bit here is scaling a castle.  Hauling your body weight up two storeys takes some strength.

Goal: Strength Training

I've been doing a strength workout that is more of a placeholder than a real plan.  I'm going to start El Diablo's Start Bodyweight Training plan to scale up a bit.  I like bodyweight training, and that's got some well-laid-out exercise progressions, which can be one of my frustrations as I hit uneven patches in my fitness.  I've got a bit of weight to lose, so I'm going to be following his suggestion for weight loss, with some cardio and HIIT in between - I'm basically doing that now, but the goal is to get it all working with a scaled-up strength training plan.

gallery_19426_1288_118890.png

This is Cally meditating while... god, best not to ask.  It was the '70s.  I think the men are doing Space Yoga, which is like regular yoga, but infinitely dorkier.  (And those who've seen the show will get the pun in that banner.  That's the computer, Zen.)

Goal: Meditation

This doesn't seem like a fitness goal, but in a way it is, because in a sense it's very like aikido training for the brain, with the repetitiveness and the focus.  My ADHD significantly gets in the way of my forming new habits, so that's the thing I need to work on for my fitness habits to stick.  I feel like a terrible martial arts cliché here, but screw it: that's the training I need, so that's the training I'll do.

My plan is to step up over the six weeks, so a passing score will get more demanding over the challenge and the habits can work into place gradually, rather than make for an overwhelming week 1 and 2.

Aikido stretching/warmups: The goal is every day.  In week 1, three days a week is a pass.  In week 6, six days a week is a pass. (6 points total, 1 per week of pass)

Aikido ukemi practice and sword kata: For this challenge, I'm going to aim for adding one session a week.  I might want to increase to two or three, but let's start with one and see how it goes. (6 points total, 1 per week of pass)

Meditation: The goal is every day.  In week 1, four days a week is a pass.  In week 6, six days a week is a pass. (6 points total, 1 per week of pass)

Bodyweight strength/cardio training sessions: The sample plan is the basic strength training routine 3x/week, and 35 minutes of cardio (two steady state and one with Tabata intervals) 3x/week.  Week 1, I'm going to consider a pass as three cardio days, and using the other days to find my baseline in the progressions and learn the exercises I don't know well.  Week 2, a pass will be getting the scheduling right, but I won't consider it a fail if I run out of time and can't get the full session in.  Weeks 3 and onward, getting 5/6ths of it done is a pass. (6 points total, 1 per week of pass)

0%
0%
(0/24)
  • Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Awesome. Can't wait to see you fill it in!

Thanks, Kishi!  Hit enter a bit too soon on posting it, so it became a placeholder instead of a draft. :)

I got a foam roller this week to try to take care of some tightness in my shoulders and upper back after I swim (and from sitting hunched over my computer all day).  Aaaaaaaagh, the first session was excruciating.  And took forever, because I was constantly finding pain points to lean into until the muscles eased up.  Seriously, half an hour to roll my back in two directions.  I think this'll be good, although I'm hoping that eventually that time will go down.  I'm also going to try it on my quads.  They're always super-tight when I stretch them, and I might be able to loosen them up with a bit of foam roller massage on top of my morning stretching.

I also think I'm going to count it as meditation, because I'm counting breaths to time my holds, so it's not a big jump from there to maintaining proper focus.  (A bit questionable in the traditional sense, but if you're doing the mental part, I think a deliberately-held posture fits the basic goals.  And, when in doubt, my yardstick is What Would A Very Busy Samurai Do, and then I discard any answer that involves toenails dropping off, certain death, prostitutes, or drinking six quarts of booze an evening.  I think A Very Busy Samurai would decide to count training time that can be mixed with meditation as an appropriate real-world application of mental training.)  That could make the meditation part of this challenge awfully easy and very rewarding, if I'm getting two benefits in one.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

The time does go down eventually. It takes a while, though, depending on how long the fascia have been building in the muscle. Sometimes it breaks up nice and easy, and sometimes it does not. Unfortunately, there isn't any kind of a blanket answer to that.

Hahaha! WWAVBSD. I like that. And I think it totally works for the meditation goal. :D

Another aikidoka!  Huzzah!  I love aikido stretches (though I'm not sure how universal they are, but I love them anyway).

Sounds like a really nice, solid challenge.  Foam rollers are great, you will love them eventually.  After they fix all the pain and make it go away.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Another aikidoka!  Huzzah!  I love aikido stretches (though I'm not sure how universal they are, but I love them anyway).

The ordinary stretches in the routine make a nice little warmup for the day, and the aikido-specific ones at the very least make my wrists RSI-proof, so that's good enough.  The rest, well, funakogi undo may not push my fitness stats, but it's a combination of keeping my head in the game and being willing to accept that they're trying to train a subtle physical awareness.  Not a universal one, by any means, but almost nothing about aikido is universal.  It's a crazy sideways mental leap of a martial art. :)

Monday morning!  Let's put up some supplementary posts here.  First up:

Task List

I'm not going to grade based on these, but just to give me reminders of the things I'd like to get done.

Habit Debugging

1. My Brain Is Problematic (Brainstorm 0x || Practiced 1x) I'm finding there are periodic clusters of days where I have a firestorm of ADHD effects, and... it's got to go.  I've discovered some of the cues that it's going on, but I don't have great responses.  In keeping with the general theme of the challenge, this will involve discovering irimi and tenkan techniques for responding to brain attacks, if for no other reason than that using your brain to debug your brain is doomed to failure unless you take an oblique strategy and surprise it from behind.

2. My Writing Habits (Brainstorm 0x || Practiced 0x) Less the doing of it - though that, too - but actually working on why it doesn't happen and strategies/routines to make sure it does.

3. I'll Be In My Bunk (Brainstorm 0x || Practiced 0x) Repeat, with my uneven sleep habits.

Aikido

1. Add Ushiro Ukemi to my practice routine.  (Goal 20x || Done 4x) "One of the all time great Ki exercises. If you have time for only one Ki exercise in the morning, do this one."?  I don't know, but I'll try it.  For some reason, it seems to have dropped out of the routine I've been doing, though I'm pretty sure I recall it regularly being there at my dojo.  So I'm just going to have to add it back in until I remember to do it.

2. Ukemi Core Strengthening  (Goal 3x || Done 0.3x) This seems to be a thing on YouTube.  What the heck, I'll try a session or two.  Stronger ukemi is better ukemi, and my ukemi could use it.

3. Back Roll session  (Goal 3x || Done 0x)  You know, as I look over some of the back roll theory discussions, this looks like incredibly like foam rolling your back, using the entire planet as your roller.

4. Front Roll session (Goal 3x || Done 0x)

5. Look up bokken kata  (Goal 2x || Done 0x) I've actually forgotten all my sword kata.  It'll come back to me, but I'm going to need to look these up.

6. Bokken Kata session (Goal 3x || Done 0x)

Meditation

1. Moving Meditation (Goal 3x || Done 0x) Some of the aikido styles seem to have some of these.  They're not my styles, so I'm probably not using them as intended, but I'd like to give them a try, so I have some options for days when I'd rather move than sit still, or seriously need to put myself into a dojo mindset to get centered.

Just for Fun

Okay, I'm not feeling fun right now, but it wouldn't hurt me to throw in some stuff just for general amusement.

Progress Check-Off

Week 1

Aikido stretching/warmups: Three days a week is a pass. (Fail.)

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

Aikido ukemi practice and sword kata:

• One session ukemi practice (I'll give this half a point, because I've been doing it incrementally.)

Meditation: Four days a week is a pass. (Docking 0.25 of a point, because some of those were really not good effort.)

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

Bodyweight strength/cardio training sessions: A pass as three cardio days, and using the other days to find my baseline in the progressions and learn the exercises I don't know well. (I'm going to call this a pass, although really my strength training prep was not fully done - I solved the two big problems, though, and that extra-long swim session was good resistance work, so I'll cheat that towards a pass.)

• Monday - DDR 50 minutes.  No, I'm not fifteen.  Go away.
  • Tuesday - Hiking for 65 minutes, for ankle rehab.  So tired of trees.
  • Wednesday - Not a great one, but 3 miles of walking is better than nothing.
  • Thursday - I, er, printed out my strength training plan and put it in a binder.  I must have lifted all of an ounce.
  • Friday - 15 minutes warmup in the pool with some kick drills, 55 minutes front crawl.  That's more like it.
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

Total points: 2.25/4

Week 2

Aikido stretching/warmups: Three-is-four-ish days a week is a pass.

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

• One session a week. (Partial.)

Meditation: Fourish-fiveish days a week is a pass.

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

Bodyweight strength/cardio training sessions: Basic strength training routine 3x/week, and 35 minutes of cardio (two steady state and one with Tabata intervals) 3x/week.  A pass will be getting the scheduling right, but I won't consider it a fail if I run out of time and can't get the full session in.

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

Total points: 0

Week 3

Aikido stretching/warmups: Four days a week is a pass.

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

• One session a week.

Meditation: Five days a week is a pass.

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

Bodyweight strength/cardio training sessions: Basic strength training routine 3x/week, and 35 minutes of cardio (two steady state and one with Tabata intervals) 3x/week.  Getting 5/6ths of it done is a pass.

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

Week 4

Aikido stretching/warmups: Fourish-fiveish days a week is a pass.

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

• One session a week.

Meditation: Five days a week is a pass.

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

Bodyweight strength/cardio training sessions: Basic strength training routine 3x/week, and 35 minutes of cardio (two steady state and one with Tabata intervals) 3x/week.  Getting 5/6ths of it done is a pass.

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

Week 5

Aikido stretching/warmups: Five days a week is a pass.

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

• One session a week.

Meditation: Fiveish-sixish days a week is a pass.

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

Week 6

Aikido stretching/warmups: Six days a week is a pass.

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

• One session a week.

Meditation: Six days a week is a pass.

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

9.4%
9.4%
(2.25/24)

Day 1: Monday, July 28

(Expect many edits.)

The Good

• Foam rolling, meditation, and aikido-related stretching knocked off quickly in the morning.  (Added quads to foam rolling a few days ago.  A fresh new world of hurt.  But it's getting better, and my quad stretches feel a little more solid.)
  • Took my measurements for the start of the week.
  • ETA: Schedule mostly recovered from a Bad Brain Morning.  I got back on that horse.
  • ETA: Cardio workout done.  I'm not going to win any v. srs athlete points for this, but I will win many nerd points. Recovering my schedule and still getting a workout in meant that I invoked one of my Emergency Workout Protocols.  Today's Emergency Workout involved the spare Linux box with the open source DDR clone and a directory full of Creative Commons-licensed electronica.  I had planned to do 45 minutes of front crawl with sprints down at the pool like a real person with a real fitness plan, but instead it was 50 minutes of terrible video game dancing and getting my work schedule back on track, like a programmer who's heard of real life but rarely visits.  It's embarrassing, but it gets one more Day 1 item done.  Er, I mean, we're monks on a spaceship, so of course we all exercise by computer?
  • ETA: My protein's been a bit low lately, so I've pulled it up a bit.  Ditto water intake.

The Bad

• It's day one, and I'm already reconsidering my WWAVBSD stance on prostitutes and booze.
  • I had a series of Bad Brain Days last week - hence that part of my challenge - and I'm struggling to shake it off.  This morning has been a mix of progress and focus, and hyperfocussy time loss.  However, the ADHD is not the boss of me.  Gonna eat my lunch and start my day over.  I do need a better solution here, but today we're just going to go for "get back on the horse".

The Ugly

• I'm not thinking about this too closely, because I'd be a little discouraged, but I've been tracking diet and exercise carefully for ten weeks now; the first four weeks, I was seeing progress.  After that, I lost a little ground and gained back about 3 of the 5-6 pounds I lost.  That's well within the realm of standard variation, and I had started doing more strength training, which tends to cause an initial small boost in weight, so I put it down to that and started taking body measurements instead.  Measurements looked promising the first week or two after that.  But it's pretty clear now that it's just been sort of hovering for five or six weeks.  I can't say there's been no progress, because I'm a bit stronger and my ankle rehab's been going well, so there's that.  And given how long I was basically out of the game for ankle injuries this spring, maybe it's just going to take time to start to see bigger changes.  I see three possible things to do here: while my calories have been on target, I have had some carb drift upwards, which I've been bringing back down this past week; looking at the weeks that have gone well, I think calorie deficit isn't enough, and workout frequency makes a difference; and, lastly, basically just double down on the plan and wait it out.

Day 2: Tuesday, July 29

Over in the cargo hold, we're fighting Reavers.  Here in the B7verse, we've got mutoids - mind-wiped technologically-enhanced vampire foot soldiers under the command of the Federation Spacefleet.  (Usually women.  In this show, the men talk big, but the women are far more deadly than the males.  Exhibit A is wearing white in this picture, the mastermind behind Spacefleet Command.  We do not have many sartorial triumphs in Blake's 7.  It's basically a disaster of low budget and fashion of the late 1970s.  The one we can unequivocally claim, though, is Supreme Commander Servalan, who somehow got the best dressmaker the BBC had.)

blakes1web2404_468x481.jpg

I like my chances against the mutoids.  Honestly, they won't even take all the monking.  Sure, they're single-minded killing machines, but they go a bit passive when you mind-wipe them.  They need the right orders.  The Supreme Commander... that's another story.  All the monking, and then maybe some running away.  Good cardio, right?

So here we go, Day 2.

The Good

• Foam rolling (argh), meditation (ack), and aikido exercises (aaaah... oops).  Everything feels a little bit off today, but in sort of a comic way, rather than a serious way, so whatever.  Done.
  • Added some ukemi strength-building exercises.  Rather than do these all as one session, I'm going to add them a couple at a time.  I'd way prefer all at once (and count it as a light strength training session, because I cheat like that), but I don't have the physical space inside to do them, so it's gonna be memorizing one or two at a time and taking them outside.  Note to self: get more clothes that are good with grass stains.
  • 65-minute hike.  Not my preferred cardio, but I've been using it as ankle rehab - speed can be adjusted not to overtax weak joints, but dealing with uneven ground seems to do good things for strength and flexibility.  It's been pretty effective and I'm mostly back to normal.  I'm keeping at it because I think there's a temptation to stop too soon, and I'd like to make sure it's really solid, not just good 19 days out of 20.  (I had a lot of minor ankle injuries this spring, and there's not a lot I can do about being prone to turned ankles, but I can work on functional strength around those tendons.)  I'm getting seriously tired of the sight of dirt and trees.

The Bad

• Sleep.  I'm failing badly at sleep, and it's taking a toll.  I might move that bit up.

The Ugly

• None yet.

I'm entirely pulling them off Youtube - I came across them by accident recently and used the challenge as an excuse to try them.  There's a short set from one instructor that look like a lot of core strengthening things, and a portion of a filmed class that starts with a combination of body rolls in the superman position (which I need to do more to figure out what they're isolating, it feels like it's how to roll the body over full turns and two full turns from just core muscles again, because the arms and legs are disengaged from the ground).  I'm learning them so slowly, only a move or two at a time, that I can't tell you a huge amount about them yet.  The superman body rolls is what I did today.  There's some yoga moves later in that class, but I've only watched about 10-15 minutes of it in detail so far.  My ukemi's not really very strong or smooth, so I'm hoping I can improve my strength and feeling for the rolls before I do major sessions of them, or at least get a better feel for the muscles I need to think about engaging in a strong roll.

Good start to your challenge!  I totally agree that DDR is good training. Not only are you doing a variety of movements, you are also practicing following another person's movement pattern in real time. That skill applies directly to martial arts training.

I know how disappointing it is to gain a few pounds when you were so happy about recently losing them. In addition to the possible reasons you list, here are two more:

- not enough sleep. Fatigue causes hormone changes that make people gain weight and leads to eating more calories for energy.

- water weight.  Depending on the time of month, this can easily add three pounds.

I found that weighing myself once a week or only at the beginning and end of the challenge works best. The scale is just too subject to short term variation to be a reliable guide on a daily basis. The progress you can see in the mirror every day is real.

Level 58  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

I'm entirely pulling them off Youtube - I came across them by accident recently and used the challenge as an excuse to try them.  There's a short set from one instructor that look like a lot of core strengthening things, and a portion of a filmed class that starts with a combination of body rolls in the superman position (which I need to do more to figure out what they're isolating, it feels like it's how to roll the body over full turns and two full turns from just core muscles again, because the arms and legs are disengaged from the ground).  I'm learning them so slowly, only a move or two at a time, that I can't tell you a huge amount about them yet.  The superman body rolls is what I did today.  There's some yoga moves later in that class, but I've only watched about 10-15 minutes of it in detail so far.  My ukemi's not really very strong or smooth, so I'm hoping I can improve my strength and feeling for the rolls before I do major sessions of them, or at least get a better feel for the muscles I need to think about engaging in a strong roll.

Neat, thanks!

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

I totally agree that DDR is good training. Not only are you doing a variety of movements, you are also practicing following another person's movement pattern in real time. That skill applies directly to martial arts training.

That will be my excuse. :)  As an emergency fallback for those days when I'm running out of time or frustration levels are high, it's at least a way to get moving and bring down the stress levels a bit.  And if I can make some excuse about speeding up footwork, well, it's a stretch, but I'll go for it for this challenge.  Get the habit in place, then tweak it up.

Lack of sleep might well be an issue.  My sleep habits always fall apart a little when the ADHD kicks in hard.

Day 3: Wednesday, July 30

The Good

• This is my heavy commuting day, over two hours each way, where I count my walking as cardio and try to squeeze a few basic strength exercises in at the end of the day.  3 miles walking, the boring urban sort rather than the nice climbing-up-and-down-rocky-shit sort that's all good for my ankles.  But, meh, it's a thing.  It keeps me active on the heavy schedule day.
  • Today was quite an organized brain day, and I'm hoping I can carry it through till at least tomorrow.

The Bad

• Counting that sort of walking really does not make me happy.  I can walk forever.  It doesn't do much to push my fitness level at all, and certainly not when we're talking under 6 miles.  It's like the empty (negative) calories of exercise.  (When I get around to being organized about scheduling strength and cardio days, probably I should make this the rest day, rather than a real day.)

The Ugly

• I'm looking at how I want to schedule my jobs and things, and get enough rest, and do the exercise I want, and I think I'm up to something like 28-29 hours a day so far, and it's making me flail.  I think I'm just going to have to start with what I need to get done and half of what I want to get done, get that schedule working, then step it up till I can't anymore.

You gotta put the first things first. You have four different categories of things to consider: urgent and important, urgent but not important, important but not urgent, and neither urgent nor important. The first thing to figure out is what truly goes in urgent and important - in other words, what needs to get done and needs to get done soonest. Once you figure that out, the rest will fall where it has to, and what is neither important nor urgent can be phased out of your schedule over time.

Y'know, urgent is pretty clear, but important is sometimes very tough to figure out.  For one thing, it'd basically result in no housework getting done until I've run out of clean clothes and dishes, and the mess is causing stress. :)  I try to set a frequency that reflects priority instead.

Day 4: Thursday, July 31

The Good

• I was really productive today, in lots of organizing-for-future-work sorts of ways.  And I did remember that 5pm task-list clean-up.  My to-do list, and my living space, are both looking better for it.
  • I did print out my strength-training tracking docs in my spurt of organizing, which is sort of one of the things on this week's list, so maybe I'll put that here.

The Bad

• I sort of fell down on everything else, because I was just concentrating on one thing.  Oops.
  • Calories went a bit over goal due to a protein craving, but I'm not going to stress over it, because I've had a few days of being under this week.  It'll even out in the wash.

The Ugly

• Sleep, man.  I was so good about it Wednesday night, but missed the mark by a long ways again.  It's like sometime around midnight, hyperfocus kicks in like mad, and whatever I'm doing, I'll be doing for the next 2-3 hours.

Day 5: Friday, August 1

The Good

• Because yesterday was not much of a day on the fitness front, I'm upping today's difficulty.  Instead of a 15 minute warmup and 30 minute swim, I did a 15 minute warmup and a 55 minutes of front crawl (with 30 second breaks every 5 minutes, because my lungs aren't used to this yet, and it's better to finish than to swallow half the pool and stop to heave it out).  Now that's starting to feel like a proper workout.
  • [Next break: aikido stretches and ukemi strengthening exercises.]

The Bad

• None yet.

The Ugly

• None yet.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines