Tough For Cancer Joins The Wolf Pack

Hi Everyone

So, my name is Ben, 31 years old, this is my second Nerd Fitness challenge.

My first challenge went pretty well and I reached my target of getting to 20% body fat but, if I'm honest, it feels like a bit of a failure because I all but ignored my strength training during the six weeks. I started with the aim of doing Convict Conditioning three days a week but only managed one workout!

So, now it's time to get serious with body weight training!

My overall goal is to get down to 15% body fat and the plan is to do this by:

1) Eating clean: Lots of fresh veggies, lean meats, healthy fats etc.

2) Following Convict Conditioning and committing to completing a CC workout three times a week. I'll be doing a full body workout in every session rather than 2 exercises per session as recommended by Coach Wade

3) Continuing to run as normal. That means around 15 miles a week. One easy session, one tempo or interval session and one longer run at the weekend.

I also have my first Wolf Run on September 6th so whilst the focus is on bodyweight training there's also a six week running plan to follow!

Unfortunately since doing a Tough Mudder last week my old Sacroiliac injury seems to have returned and is causing me no small amount of hip pain :-(

So a big part of this challenge is going to be staying injury free. Hopefully committing to bodyweight training will help with injuries but I'm also going to foam roller and stretch every day and do the exercises for my sacroiliac that my physio gave me.

So, provided I stick to this plan (and with kids, family life work etc. who knows what obstacles will be thrown in the way!) here's how I plan on distributing my shiny new points:

• Strength (STR) - physical strength - 3 points
  • Dexterity (DEX) - agility and speed - 2 points
  • Stamina (STA) - Endurance and Energy - 2 points
  • Constitution (CON) - ability to resist damage and disease - 3 points
  • Wisdom (WIS) - intuition and sense of things around himself
  • Charisma (CHA) - force of personality and physical attractiveness

Looking forward to meeting some Assassins alongside the friends I've made on NF so far :-)

Hope your challenges go well!

• Like 4

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer
STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Life is full of misery, loneliness and suffering and it's all over much too soon - Woody Allen

My Challenges: Current Challenge, 1st Challenge

My Battle Log

That wolf run looks like it could be amazing fun! I'm sorry to hear about your hip from the Tough Mudder though!

You have a solid plan so I'm sure you're going to rock this challenge :) And you'll obviously have to let us know how awesome the Wolf Run is!

• Like 2

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

That wolf run looks like it could be amazing fun! I'm sorry to hear about your hip from the Tough Mudder though!

You have a solid plan so I'm sure you're going to rock this challenge :) And you'll obviously have to let us know how awesome the Wolf Run is!

Cheers! Yep, the Wolf Run looks great :nevreness: I think there's an open lake swim on the course just to make it extra cold and tough! I must be a glutton for punishment because I've also signed up to do the November Winter Wolf with my Tough Mudder team.

I'll take my GoPro so will hopefully get some good footage to inspire any potential NF Wolf Runners!

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

Life is full of misery, loneliness and suffering and it's all over much too soon - Woody Allen

My Battle Log

Congrats on moving into a guild! You're awesome!

Thanks! Went with the Assassins because i think my bodyweight training is the area I need to focus on the most but it could just have easily been the rangers or the scouts. Maybe I'll end up moving around it bit from challenge to challenge.

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

A Wolf Run.....SHAWEEEET!!!!! *Raises hand up* Sign me up too!

Wolf

• Like 2

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Lazily reposting this from my Daily Battle Log......

So, the first week of a new challenge begins!

Tried to preserve my lower back and hips with a bike ride yesterday so took my road bike out for a 14 mile ride. Still getting used to riding in clipless pedals so went out at 6am so no-one could see me fall over everytime I stopped at a junction. Otherwise still not sure I'm taking to cycling. I miss the physicality of running and do keep thinking "I could have just gone for a run". Plus the downhills are terrifying and I can only go round corners at high speeds - if I slow down I topple over like a domino.

I've also completed two Convict Conditioning sessions. Really pleased I've made a strong start with this. Now I've got my head around the format a typical workout looks like this:

21 x Shouldstand Squats

21 x Shoulderstand squats

21 x Knee Tucks

21 x Knee Tucks

32 x Vertical Pulls

32 x Vertical Pulls

7 x Full Push Ups

7 x Fulls Push Ups

I think I'm just going to keep adding one rep per set per week now, as the book recommends, until I meet the progression standard for each exercise.

Not sure when I add in the third work set but guess it's when I've reached the progression number of reps in the first two work sets.

Tomorrow is Wolf Run training with the guys - more on that tomorrow!

• Like 1

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

When I realized this wolf run was in the UK I was very sad...

Let's get that thing over in the states so I can show everyone how a REAL wolf runs this course [emoji12]

How are you enjoying convict conditioning?? Paul Wade is a badass!

Wolf

• Like 1

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Spoiler

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

When I realized this wolf run was in the UK I was very sad...

Let's get that thing over in the states so I can show everyone how a REAL wolf runs this course [emoji12]

How are you enjoying convict conditioning?? Paul Wade is a badass!

Wolf

Lol. They definitely need to export the Wolf Run - 5 weeks to go! Really enjoying Convict Conditioning. I've started at the most progression for every exercise with the exception of Push Ups where I've started with full push-ups. Hoping this approach will mean I get injured less along the way. It definitely fits in with my lifestyle too - really good to be able to do a workout anywhere at any time.

• Like 1

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

So, week one down!

Didn't exactly stick to my training plan last week as kid related commitments meant no Convict Conditioning on Sat and no run on Sunday. Did manage to get in a fifteen mile bike ride on Sunday though and even made a new friend along the way - a fellow cyclist who was riding the same route as me!

Had a good interval run on Thursday and another decent recovery run today. The tempo and interval runs are definitely paying off on my overall running with my average pace down to about 08:30 minute miles.

Eating was good last week. Lots of salads, stir-frys, sweet potatoes etc. Might have over done the red wine on the weekend though.

So, without further ado, this weeks stats are:

Weight: 176.4 (4 ounces down from last week)

Waist: 35 inches

Bodyfat: 18%

Six weeks to go now until our family summer holiday. I'd really like that body fat figure to be closer to 14% and my weight closer to 171 lbs. Just need to be consistent!

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

Arghhhh!!!!!! Today is utter pain. Spent the best part of today walking like John Wayne due to some serious post-training muscle soreness.

Yesterday was training with the guys and our unofficial team leader decided that we hadn't been training hard enough recently and we all needed to be put through our paces! We don't call him Beastmaster McNasty for nothing!

So.... training looked something like this:

1 mile warm up run

40 squats

100 yard sprint

Lunge back to starting line

30 squats

100 yard sprint

20 squats

100 yard sprint

10 squats

100 yard sprint

10 squats

100 yard sprint

20 squats

100 yard sprint

Lunge back to start

30 squats

100 yard sprint

Lunge to start

40 squats

100 yard sprint

Lunge to start

then.......

Rope climb x 2

20 16 kg medicine ball twist and slams x 2

20 20kg kettle bell snatches x 2

20 tyre flips x 2

20 hitting tyre with hammer (there must be a name for this?! I shall call it "Hammer of the gods!" x 2

20 bicep curls with the Bulgarian Bag x 2

20 weighted squats (more, squats, really?!!) with the bulgarian bag x 2

Cool down run although this was more like a waddle by the time we'd finished!

So tonight I sit here typing this, slathered in deep heat with my foam roller ominously waiting for me.

Was great fun though - will try and get some photos of next week's session.

• Like 2

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

I'm pretty sure that workout contravenes the Geneva Convention or something. Did the foam roller restore you to biped status?

• Like 2

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

1 mile warm up run

40 squats

100 yard sprint

30 squats

100 yard sprint

20 squats

100 yard sprint

10 squats

100 yard sprint

10 squats

100 yard sprint

20 squats

100 yard sprint

Lunge back to start

30 squats

100 yard sprint

Lunge to start

40 squats

100 yard sprint

Lunge to start

then.......

Rope climb x 2

20 16 kg medicine ball twist and slams x 2

20 20kg kettle bell snatches x 2

20 tyre flips x 2

20 hitting tyre with hammer (there must be a name for this?! I shall call it "Hammer of the gods!" x 2

20 bicep curls with the Bulgarian Bag x 2

20 weighted squats (more, squats, really?!!) with the bulgarian bag x 2

You lost me at 1 mile run as a warm-up...

That really is beastly. Sounds like you have some pretty solid goals. Good luck over the next 4 weeks.

• Like 1
Gnome Assassin: [3]
[sTR: 6] [DEX: 1] [STA: 5] [CON: 4] [WIS: 0] [CHA: 1]

âWhat we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. Albert Pike

I'm pretty sure that workout contravenes the Geneva Convention or something. Did the foam roller restore you to biped status?

I got my revenge my making him a particularly weak cup of tea in the office today. Who's laughing now?! Unfortunately, in the immortal words of Sir Elton I'm still standing and stiffer than I've ever been. No sitting down for me at the moment!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

You lost me at 1 mile run as a warm-up...

That really is beastly. Sounds like you have some pretty solid goals. Good luck over the next 4 weeks.

Cheers! It wasn't pretty, that's for sure. That second round of circuits looked more like Apocalypse Now than the Dirty Dozen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

I got my revenge my making him a particularly weak cup of tea in the office today. Who's laughing now?!

Ha! He'll think twice before messing with you again.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

how'd week 2 shape up? Are you racked with DOMS after that workout?

I'm curious about week 2 as well. How did it pan out?

âWhat we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. Albert Pike

Hi Guys

Sorry about the lack of progress posting, despite my best resolutions to be more active in the community during this challenge kids, work etc. keep doing their best to get in the way.

Last week was a good week. After bootcamp from hell the DOMS was back with a vengeance! Wednesday felt like someone had set fire to my limbs and then pummeled them with baseball bats. By the time Thursday rolled around I was moving about like Boris Karloff in Frankenstein and making slow, guttural groaning noises.

Decided enough was enough on Thursday night and went for a three mile run which I completed in 27 minutes.

Friday I did Convict Conditioning at home and I've now started the 30 day plank challenge to put some core work into my routine throughout the course of this challenge. I've also added one rep, per set, per exercise as per the programme. Still not sure when I add in that third work set. I guess it's once I reach intermediate standard on my exercises. If that's correct then I'll be adding in some third work sets for some of my exercises next week.

Saturday I went for a 6.5 mile run which I completed in 56 minutes. Pleased with how my running's going at the moment. Feel like I should be in good shape for the Wolf Run in 3 weeks time, provided I stay injury free.

Sunday, I felt completely burned out. Slept on the sofa for three hours in the afternoon and then polished off three huge slices of homemade banana cake which my wife had baked with a mug of tea. Followed by Sausage, egg and chips with a Yorkie bar for tea!! Very unlike me but i think, because I've stuck to my clean eating relentlessly for a few months now, I was due a bit of a blow out. I don't really ever do cheat days so maybe these are something I should factor in.

Anyway, my weight and waist were both up a bit on Monday. I think this is just a result of Sunday's binge and it wasn't a real reflection of my progress. I weighted and measured myself yesterday (Tuesday) and today (Wednesday) and found that my weight had dropped compared to a week ago so pretty sure Monday's was a false reading.

Determined to get my bodyfat % as low as possible by the end of this challenge as I would then like to start focusing more on calisthenics and eating a calorie surplus to build mass.

I've also signed up for another Tough Mudder - think I have a serious TM addiction!

• Like 2

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

By the time Thursday rolled around I was moving about like Boris Karloff in Frankenstein and making slow, guttural groaning noises.

Saturday I went for a 6.5 mile run which I completed in 56 minutes. Pleased with how my running's going at the moment. Feel like I should be in good shape for the Wolf Run in 3 weeks time, provided I stay injury free.

Sunday, I felt completely burned out. Slept on the sofa for three hours in the afternoon and then polished off three huge slices of homemade banana cake which my wife had baked with a mug of tea. Followed by Sausage, egg and chips with a Yorkie bar for tea!! Very unlike me but i think, because I've stuck to my clean eating relentlessly for a few months now, I was due a bit of a blow out. I don't really ever do cheat days so maybe these are something I should factor in.

I've also signed up for another Tough Mudder - think I have a serious TM addiction!

Hey, I had one of those days last week. I was surprised when I could bend my legs and raise my arms above my naval again. DOMS FTW.

Are you shooting for a certain time for the Wolf Run? Looks like your run times have been pretty good.

I haven't formally added in cheat days either, but I'm with you. It may be a good idea so you know if you hold out for a couple more days you can make it. Also, it would probably keep you more accountable so you don't blow it too often (read: there is personal experience in those words).

I've never done a TM but I do remember sand runs when I was in the military. What draws you to them?

Hey TfC, haven't heard from you in a week or so...just wanted to check in and see how everything is going.

Sounds like things are going good, dude! I'm still insanely jealous that I can't run this race unless I purchase a plan ticket overseas 1st. Oh well...looks like I'll have to just save up and do it one day!! Though...I've never been much of a runner. I could change that though ;)

Wolf

Spoiler

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines