smftexas86 | oh the traveling pains

smftexas86

Where to start, what to say.

So here is the dealio, yo. There have been some major changes to my life in the recent months. Some things at work changed for me, and I am traveling quite a bit. This overall is a good thing, but there are a bunch of issues i am having to work myself through, most of it being mental.

Let me explain, so when i travel i have very little choice as to what i eat. I am limited to hotel breakfast in the morning, lunch is what ever is provided (typically pizz) or something really fast and so my only choice is dinner. Overall, not horrible, just very difficult to maintain any sort of regularity. Working out is very similar. While i am out traveling i typically work 10-15hr days, so between dinner and sleep, i have very little to no time to work out. My challenge goals will explain it all further.

Challenge 1. Eat how much i need not what i want

So, i can only partially control as to what I eat, so I think really the name of the game this time will be controlling how much I eat. Lets face it, I can eat a large pizza and a gallon of ice cream in a sitting, and if its there, in front of my nose, i may actually do so. This is a huge struggle for me, portion control has always been a big problem. This will be my goal. Instead of half a pizza, eat a slice, instead of 4 double cheese burgers, have one or two etc. Tracking calories will be hard, as i am not making it, so really i will have to go strictly based of portion.

Challenge 2. Just do something

If i work insane hours and only get like 4 hrs of sleep, i can't sit there and hope to workout 1hr as well. I just need to wrap my mind around the fact that doing anything is better than nothing. A few minutes early to do some pushups and squats etc, will be better than nothing at all. At the same time though, i need to make sure if i do have the time that i do go to the gym and use the time effectively. There is no plan here, just do what i can

Challenge 3. Make the right choices, when i am able to make a choice

Doing a lot of traveling make it very easy to excuse horrible eating. Hotel breakfasts have mainly breads, and other carbs sitting out. Lunch is typically something fast and my dinners are company expensed, so why not eat a giant steak with a fully loaded potato right? Well, I am starting to realize this is horrible thinking. Fast doesn't mean horrible, a wrap from MCd's is better than a double cheese burger for example. A smaller steak with veggie sides is better than a 20oz porterhouse with a loaded baked white potato. I can't have a perfect nutrition, but i can make the best choices possible.

Side quest

Ever wonder what it would be like if our Food was teleported straight from the plate into our stomache? Watch me eat sometime, you may understand. The comments are always there "damn you ate that already?" "No way you could've enjoyed that food" "Did you even breath while you ate that?" I do not know if it will help, but people seem to think if i slow down, i may actually stop eating so damn much. So i will try it out. Though I have no clue how, i have eaten the same way i do, ever since HS. Count every time i chew? Don't load up the fork till i swallow? Hell I don't know, i will try though.

Hey, if you guys have suggestions, please let me know. Luckily i start the challenge off being at home, but week 2 will have me in charlotte, NC. And i am anticipating 18hr days because of the work load there, after i don't know where or when yet.

Lvl 3 Half-Orc Warrior Assasin

Male, Age: 30

STR 4 - DEX 2 - STA 5- CON 2 - WIS 4  - CHA 3

Intro Post --- Current Challenge

"Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try" Jedi Master Yoda

"Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out"

First! I'm pro bodyweight exercises for those days workouts just can't fit otherwise. Also, I love the format of that food goal I may steal that.

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

yup, it will have to be body weight exercises, I got excited yesterday when i had a bunch of extra time in the evening to use the hotel Gym. They had nothing but treadmills. I have resistance bands with me now and just workout in my room, if time allows, mostly doing body weight exercises.

"Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out"

I think you're spot on that you can really only control what you can control - opt for oatmeal over a bagel, grab some eggs, etc. For lunch, eat less or make a slightly better choice here... same with dinner. Assess what you are for breakfast and lunch and have something that will add nutritional value to your daily intake - fish/steak/veggies.

As for the exercise, I agree. All hotel gyms are going to have cardio machines and a handful of dumbbells and a few machines. Get in what you can, when you can.

Letting go is the hardest asana. 

Instagram: WholeBodySwoleHeart

Travel eating SUCKS.

Unfortunately, it mostly tends to be whatever works for you. I am an all or nothing person so I pick a diet to go by. Whole30 or primal or paleo....just because if I don't have definitive boundaries, I will "logic" my way into eating whatever for the day.... and nothing become a good habit from that.

Thanks all! Well, this week is fairly easy for me as i get to be home for the week.

This weekend was spend out camping up at lake taxoma. Talk about being out of shape. I walk a couple of steps and swim a couple of yards; i wasnt just out of breath but damn sore the next day.

Camping is alwayd good though, makes it easy not to over eat and also eat ok which we did.

Yesterday was the first day of the challenge. I stayed at the GF place, to prepare i brought my pull up bar with me. And did a quick workout in the morning.

Pushups: 3x6

Wall squats: 3x6

Leg raises: 3x6

Negative pullups: 2x6 & 1x2

40lbs resistance band rows: 3x6

Food wasnt bad either, i had 2 strips of bacon,eggs and some cuties for breakfast. Some left over seasame chicken for lunch, peanut butter and honey sandwhiches for a snack after work and a bit if a potato and ground beef thing i cooked.

Never alot of food, good portions. I felt ok about yesterday.

The gf wants to get back into running and asked me to try out trail running with her tonight, that should be interesting, but maybe i'll like it. Who knows?!

Week going good so far. Eating wise i havent over done it. I have kept up with workouts. DOMS had me begging for my mommy yesterday though.

Workout wise i went outside and did a little running, and i mean a little. I think we did about a mile and a half all together, but i am ok with it.

I did the same workout today as on monday, just increased the first set of each exercise by one rep.

Somehow, i dont even feel bad or wrong about it :P

So I did make this huh, so i should update this to.

Lets break this down into a couple of wins.

I worked out 5 times last week, 3 BW routines and 2 running routines, also on that note my portions were ok as well.

I do need to be realistic as well though. I am ok with my workouts, they are quick, to the point, and will keep me going. Food though, meh. I was good during the week, had some salads few sweets etc. The weekend was bad, i drank entirely to much booze and spend all day eating the next day to the cure the hang over.

This being said, I just got right back on the saddle sunday.

I am in NC this week, long days, lots of work, few food choices. At the airport yesterday i had qdoba, and then for dinner i had some grilled chicken sandwich from wendy's, no side.

I only got 4 hours of sleep last night, so my workout this morning was super short.

I did 3 sets of 7 each of squats, pushups and 40lb resistance bad rows, ate 2 hard boiled eggs, some oatmeal with fruit and more fruit on the side for breakfast, for lunch i had 2 of those breaded chicken sandwhiches from chic-fila ( there are probably better options, but somebody picked it up for me and i didnt know what chic-fila has) for dinner we just stopped at jack in the crack real quick and i got myself a teriyaki bowl with an eggroll and a unsweetened tea.

Its no where near great, but i think i made the best choices with what i was able to so far this week.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines