Virutalmonkey - We're going streakin!

virtualmonkey

Sorry this my first challenge with the scouts and the post is so short, I've been fighting a nasty stomach bug since Sunday afternoon and just really want to get back out and run.

Main Quest:  Tower of Terror 10m - Disney World - October 4th 2014. 

Quest 1: Quit skipping my strength training.

Its on my calendar I just need to quit thinking up reasons not to do it, such as going for another run.

A- 2x a week STR +2 CON +1

B- Miss 1-2 days. STR +1

Fail - anything else

Quest 2: Hydrate!

I've been seriously slacking on my water intake. My plan is 1/2 gallon between meals daily. (still working on how to reward for this one)

A - 38-42 days

B - 33-37 days

C - 29-33 days

Fail - Anything else

Quest 3: Learn how to hula hoop 

My 9 and 6 year old nieces found out I can't hula hoop and have been making fun of me for it. They fail to grasp that they are the only ones in my family that can do it but none the less I must now learn!

Can do it - Dex +1

• Like 2

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Actually, hooping is making a comeback.  They offer classes at this eclectic gym I go to (along with belly dancing, barre fitness, and aerial dance).  And I've seen a few nerds with hooping goals...but mostly among the Assassins.  They get really fancy with hoop-dance moves over there.  I've been tempted to pick up a hoop myself.  Best of luck!

P.S.  I also find hydration a challenge.  Well done making a goal of it.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

As is often commented on around here I'm rather fond of streaks, and also disney races. I hope both go well for you

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Welcome to Scouts. I love how enthusiastic you are for running and glad you sat still long enough to post.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Great goals to have!  You have hooping goals and I have juggling goals.  Hooping is great for your core and is a lot of fun. I must admit that I don't do it personally at this time, but it's a lot of fun to watch.

Once you can maintain hooping for a while, try these tips to impress those kids!

• Like 2

Level 9 Tiefling Ranger/Scout

STR 9 DEX 16 CON 15 INT 10 WIS 13

Current challenge

Mordor: Hobbiton -> Rivendell (238/458 miles)

Water advice  Join the Circus!

As is often commented on around here I'm rather fond of streaks, and also disney races. I hope both go well for you

My  wife laughs and shakes her head at me b/c every time I run out the door for a run I yell to the whole house "We're going streakin! We're going up to the quad." Unless the baby is sleeping, then she gets a text.

I'm not sure I'll be learning any hula hoop tricks, maybe in a future challenge I do need more core work. Oddly enough I have the talent to do it around my neck and single leg just not around my hips.

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Time for a weekly recap b/c i know I wont post one this weekend, something about the lake house and no internets makes it hard to do that.

STR training

Monday - success! Today is the second day and pending no major work explosions in the next hour I will be doing it on my lunch break...did I mention I love working from home

Hydrate 

My bottle holds a quarter of a gallon, I finished what was left of my 3rd gallon jug to fill it up so I'm above my target so far. None of this counts the 3-4 glasses I drink watching TV and playing with the kiddo or the bottle or two when I'm running so I'm well over my daily intake. Debating raising this amount for the rest of the challenge. On the plus side my pitcher of kool-aid hasn't been touched since I made it Monday.

Hula Hooping

I bought the hula hoop, does that count as a good start? Still fighting the fringes of being sick so I just haven't had the extra energy to devote to it yet. But last nights kick ass run seemed to knock something loose and I feel amazing today so I'm taking it to the lake house with me.

• Like 1

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Virtual Monkey - 

I've gotten a few newbies that are talking about hula hooping...you should so start an accountabilibuddies group for those uniquely skilled individuals.

I, on the other hand, will not be joining you, because my hips just don't work right!

Yes, it's true - I had a master teacher try to teach me - told me that anyone could do it...and, um, well, I broke her record!

I'll have to find that fb youtube of the oriental man that just dances with his hulahoop - AMAZING!

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

How are you learning to hoola hoop? Are you taking classes, or following a video series? Or having a friend/kid show you?

Level Three Oracle of Doom.

Level Eight Dragon Tamer, Warrior Dash participant. Trail runner.   Respawned.

So I finally figured it out...kind of... I was able to hula hoop for about 10 seconds twice last night, this was pure exhaustion after spending all day roaming around the PGA practice rounds then a nice mid length run. I couldn't repeat it this morning so I'm not considering it a win until I can do it mostly on demand and for at least 20 seconds.

• Like 2

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Week #2 Update

Hydrate 

Is it possible to take in too much water too quickly and my body need time to adapt? I'm having an energy crisis lately, more on that below. I'm already 6 gallons down for the week and that doesn't count 2 50oz camel backs, 3 bottles of water at the PGA practice round, or any water with a meal.

STR training

So, Monday we did the TMNT training. Train like a reptile to out run giant reptiles right?! We didn't touch a single weight, which was nice. I did skip Thursday's training session but I spent 6 hours helping my buddy move into his new house, all those boxes and furniture count right? I spent most of Friday rearranging my own home so after two days of moving furniture I felt like I'd spent a week lifting. On a side note - nothing against crossfit - my buddy that moved is a big crossfitter (all he talks about, goes 6 days a week etc) and he was tired and about useless after hour two, I just kept plugging along not really showing much fatigue until the end. Guess all that endurance training is really paying off :)

Hula hooping

Almost ready to call this one a win! I usually try this for 10 mins 4-5x a week. I have about a 50% success rate with a record of 33 seconds. A little more consistency and I will be happy. it might even make it into my normal routine, its kind of fun.

Now the energy crisis. I'm not really sure what's going on. I feel completely fine, not sick, allergies aren't acting up, no pains to really talk about,in the same good mood I'm always in. But I have zero energy when I try to go for a run. My short runs I'm a full 2 min/mile slower, my long runs are only about 1:30 min/mile slower but I've had to start taking walk breaks just to push through. I've been logging my food again, other than not eating as much ice cream and eating a few more cookies than usual, nothing has changed besides the massive amounts of water I've been drinking. I don't feel weak, dizzy, or anything else just drained. Weather hasn't really changed all that much, been a little rainy the past few days so more humid but its not really abnormal compared to the last few weeks, plus I love running the rain. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts. I'm thinking maybe I need to up my calorie in take a little. Usually 1800-2000 calories daily. On the day i do my long run I try to eat 50-60% of my calories back as well. 

Level 6 - Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

From what I know of hypernatremia, it is unlikely that you are over-hydrated without other symptoms like nausea, lethargy, etc.  Most people with healthy kidneys are able to rid themselves of excess water.  If you are still concerned about it, try adding more salt into your diet and see if your energy improves, since the biggest worry about too much water is having your sodium levels dip too low.

Do you feel equally tired during your strength training sessions?  If not, probably the heat and humidity are just getting to you (or you are bored of your training route?  Maybe try a more stimulating location). 

If you are fatigued all the time, though, you may want to consider that you are over-training/under-recovering.  I had a horrible episode two summers ago, where I actually checked into a hospital overnight because I was abnormally tired all the time.  After a whole series of tests (blood analysis, sleep study, etc), the doctors couldn't find anything.  I took things into my own hands, started sleeping 9-10 hours a night instead of my usual 7 and cut back my runs and saw serious improvement.  I think I just didn't have enough recovery time between my runs, and my body couldn't keep up.  I have no idea how often you are running, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Good luck.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Yes, it is possible to drink too much, and although your kidneys can get rid of the water, other minerals get peed away at the same time, so there's a balance there. I think the mania for water has got a bit out of hand lately. You can hydrate with milk or juice and get almost the same amount of water but with added vitamins, minerals and (in the case of juice) easily-absorbed Fructose which will get to your bloodstream as fast as a sports drink. Maybe try adding some of that and cutting back on the water slightly and see if that helps?

That said, there are other reasons for low energy. You're doing strength training more often now, aren't you? Where does that fit in relation to your run? Are you squatting your legs to pieces the day before? How much sleep are you getting?

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines