Level 1 - Renaissance Rebel Apprentices: In the Atelier

Do you have a creative streak? Do you plan to have a creative life quest

among your challenge goals once you graduate from Level One?

Become an apprentice in the Renaissance Rebel Atelier

and enjoy the camaraderie of fellow apprentices and

the mentorship of experienced RenRebs!

YOU are invited to join

The Renaissance Rebel Apprentices

for fitness, fun, creativity, and camaraderie!

RRRLogo.png

You can check out previous Renaissance Rebels challenge threads: 12345, and 6. If it looks like fun to you, sign up to be an apprentice on the Level One page and post a reply below to introduce yourself. We're happy to have you!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Renaissance Rebel Apprentices

Deepforest

DreamPirate/Jazzy

Roninspirit

Villikissa

Weekly Activities

Weekly activities will be posted here to make tracking and completing them easier.

Week One

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Hi! I'm ShadowLion. I'm a nerd who plays music, writes, draws, and does fiber arts. This is my ninth challenge and my seventh with the Renaissance Rebels.

I started this group to give Level One Rebels an introduction to the Renaissance Rebels accountabilibuddies. I have two main goals for this group:

One, to give "apprentices" a place to support each other as they learn their way around Nerd Fitness and the challenges.

And, two, to pair up each apprentice with an experienced Renaissance Rebel so when it's time to level up, you will be ready to go with a creative life quest for your next challenge.

Welcome!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Greetings. 

My name is RoninSpirit. I'm a nerd who writes and dabbles in filmmaking and photography. I've signed up on the Accountabilibuddy spreadsheet as a Level 1 Apprentice for this group.

My fitness activities are mainly focused around running, as that's what I'm currently best at. I could be better with habit. I've dabbled in yoga, and have committed to a regular practice with this challenge. At some point, I want to pick up a martial art (capoeira or some form of kung fu) and become skilled at parkour. But those will be for future challenges. 

My Life Quest for the current challenge is to write everyday for 30 minutes. Just last week I completed a beginner's class on novel writing. I've been working on a novel for the past 7 years or so and I signed up for this class to force myself to go back to it and make some progress on it. In that respect it was a success. Having to read newly written material to an audience of strangers is the best form of accountability. There's this narcissistic tendency to write your best material and show it off in that situation. Anyway, now I'm dedicated to finishing it.

When I'm not trying to become a superhero bard, I work as a scientist doing private sector research in clean technology.

Feel free to check out my introduction, challenge and other information in my signature links.

-RS

• Like 1

Level 0

STR (0)  â€¢  DEX (0)  â€¢  STA (0)  â€¢  CON (0)  â€¢  WIS (0)  â€¢  CHA (0)

Introduction  â€¢  6WC 7/28/14-9/7/14  â€¢  Battle Log

Nike+  •  Strava  •  Fitocracy  •  Twitter  •  Blog - As Is  • Instagram

I am my own avatar.

I'm Villikissa, and this group attracted me because I do a variety of creative things. Or perhaps I should say, I try to do a variety of creative things, but don't always have time for all of them in practice!

I have a fine arts degree (BFA - my never-quite-completed master's degree was in environmental studies), a career in web design (and development - I do a fair bit of the tech side as well as the creative side), and a 7-year-old who is confident that I can create pretty much anything for him out of cardboard, papier-maché, and found objects. I've been writing both fiction and non-fiction on and off for a long time, though the fiction part's not really been done professionally as yet. But I've got a novel in progress that I have high hopes for... I also like doing various sorts of crafts, from sewing (not that I'm terribly good at it, but I can turn a baggy concert T into a nice fitted one with a wider neck and cap sleeves) to maskmaking to bookbinding.

I don't always have time for doing all the creative stuff I want to do, and probably never will unless I become independently wealthy at some point, and even then, I'd probably still have more ideas than time! However, my life quest for this challenge is designed to make it a bit easier for me to do some of it without as much setup or having to clear half a ton of Lego off the coffee table, so hopefully that will help! Fitness-wise, my major priorities at present are getting back into the groove of going to the gym, and squeezing some physical activity breaks into my work day.

My challenge thread can be found here: Villikissa vs. the Demons of Time.

• Like 1

Level 1 Cait Sidhe Adventurer | STR 2 - DEX 2 - STA 2 - CON 1 - WIS 2 - CHA 1

"They told me 'dress for the job you want, not the job you have.' So now I'm sitting in a disciplinary hearing in a Catwoman costume..."

Introduction: Aging goth geek seeks renewed youth, character creation tips
First challenge: Villikissa vs. the Demons of Time

Accountability Groups: Apprenticed Aboard the Queen o' Swords & Renaissance Rebel Apprentices
Battle Log: We're all mad here: the adventures of a time-travelling fairy cat

German officer: "What are you doing here?"
River Song: "Well, I was on my way to this gay Gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled, when I suddenly thought to myself 'Gosh! This Third Reich thing's a bit rubbish, isn't it? I think I'll kill the Fuehrer!'" (Doctor Who: Let's Kill Hitler)

Welcome, roninspirit and Villikissa! I will post on your threads soon.

In the meantime, while you get settled into your challenges, go ahead and follow the Renaissance Rebels main thread so you can see what is going on there and see what different people are doing for creative quests. That group will be where you will be find mentors and will also have some activities that you may want to try out. (Use the upper red button above the first post on this page to get updates delivered to your email.)

I'm glad you decided to join and please pass the word along if you see other Level One rebels who might be interested in learning more about creative questing along with their fitness goals!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

For this week, be sure you do the Level One mini-quest that Blaidd has posted.  Then check out our first activity, as adapted from the Renaissance Rebels:

Week One Activity

By now, I hope you are settling into your challenges and are ready to do a little creating!

First, if you haven't already done so, post your intro with a link to your thread, and signup on the Accountabilibuddy spreadsheet.

Second, take a little time to read and post on your fellow RenReb Apprentices threads. Follow them and get to know them better.

This week, list your name, thread and creative goals/help needs on theRenaissance Rebels main roster, so Apprentices and Renaissance Rebels with similar interests can find and support you. Then, pick your activity:

1. Find one other Ren Reb or Apprentice and team up to do a daily checkin - via personal threads, PM, Skype, whatever works for you - to encourage each other to meet your daily fitness and creative targets. You may choose to do this for the whole challenge, just this week, or anything in between. Link to squad buddies spreadsheet

2. Create a mini-team of three or more people (Ren Rebs and/or Apprentices) who have a similar quest and create your own activity together and determine how to best support one another. You may choose to do this for the whole challenge, just this week, or anything in between. Link to squad buddies spreadsheet

3. Post three or more times on the main Renaissance Rebels thread over the course of the next seven days to keep your fellow accountabilibuddies dated on your goals and progress.

Keep in mind these are optional. Your personal challenge comes first. However, do your best to make the most of the group resources to further your creative quest!

Note: A chronological list of weekly activities are posted here.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Hello. I hope it's okay that I'm a little late.

I sporadically do several creative things-I have a few stories I'm writing and sometimes I work on them, I knit and crochet, and have a blanket project going that I haven't worked on in a while, and I'm currently taking a drawing class. I made a cloak once, with my mom's help, and I'd like to learn to sew properly, so that I can make awesome tunics and things for costumes, and fix my jeans (which almost fit, but not quite). I would, in future, like to spend more time on creative pursuits.

I actually have a creative goal this challenge-I play clarinet, and my practice habits have historically been terrible. My college marching band is starting again in mid September, and I'm working on developing good practice habits before that happens. I didn't put it as a Life Quest, as it's working towards my overall challenge goal of being ready for band.

My challenge thread is here.

• Like 1

Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer

STR 3|DEX 0|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 4

Battle Log

Challenges: 1 current

Walking to Mordor and back, in Sam's footsteps (168.2/3482):

4.83%
4.83%

Hello! I am joining this group because it looks awesome! I don't have a creative goal this time around, but I plan to next challenge.

I'm Jazzy *waves spastically* and I'm a writer, cosplayer, jack-of-all-art-trades. i'm working towards an AA in fashion design and a BA in costume design. Nothing makes me happier than when I'm working on a costume. Planning, building, sewing, all of it. Makes me glow. I also cross stitch, kind of quilt, and would love to learn more about crocheting (I dislocated my shoulder crocheting once... not a very long story there, though there should be lol). 

My challenge thread is in my signature. :D

• Like 1

Jazzy

Fox Demon

Level 3

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Spread Sheet

Lvl: 1 |

No Soda PVP - 367/365 days Soda free Starting: 08/30/14 

100%
100%

Welcome, deepforest and DreamPirate/Jazzy! You both have lots of creative interests and sound like the Renaissance Rebel Apprentices will be a good fit for you.

If you have not done so yet, go ahead and check out your fellow apprentices' threads and say, "Hi!" Your first responsibility, after tending to your own challenge, is to support your fellow apprentices in their challenges.

Then check out the main Renaissance Rebel thread to see what experienced RenRebs are up to and who's doing things similar to your interests. The Week One activity above will extend into Week Two a bit, so you have a little time to scout out the spreadsheets, as well.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Gathering of the Groups

Preparing for the Mid-Challenge Activity

If you still haven't signed up for a sub-group yet or gotten a buddy, go here and get on the list. Our next activity will be centered on the smaller groups. Apprentices, this includes you!

Some of you who came in late may have missed the original post. We are creating some sub-groups around special interests, the idea being that the main Renaissance Rebels group has gotten so big that it is hard to follow everyone, and it will be more effective if we focus on smaller subsets of people. Think of us all as members of a large creative workshop, the atelier in this challenge's title, and who then breaking off to work on special projects in smaller groups.

This is an experiment, so if you've got ideas on how to do it better, speak up! I will be posting the next activity Sunday night, Mountain Standard Time, USA. (-7 hours GMT)

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Mid-Challenge Madness!

Hard at Work in the Atelier Through the Middle of the Challenge!

Activity for Weeks Three and Four

Preparation

If you still haven't signed up for a sub-group yet or gotten a buddy, go here and get on the list. Our next activity will be centered on the smaller groups. Apprentices, this includes you, too!

Some of you who came in late may have missed the original post. We are creating some sub-groups around special interests, the idea being that the group has gotten so big that it is hard to follow everyone, and it will be more effective if we focus on smaller subsets of people. Think of us all as members of a large creative workshop, the atelier in this challenge's title, and who then breaking off to work on special projects in smaller groups.

NOTE: Don't see a group that fits your interest? Pair up with one other person for this activity. You don't have to be doing the same thing. Or, form another small group of people who are each doing their own thing...this activity can be done many different ways.

The Activity

You have three things to accomplish over the next two weeks. How you do it, divide the tasks, communicate, and so on is up to your group. I will suggest that you use private messaging, or even Skype or Google Groups, to coordinate your activities and support one another. If your group is spread across too many time zones for that to work well, you could work off of each others threads, or a spreadsheet, or whatever makes sense.

The three tasks

1) Pick a group/team name and setup your method of support and communication. Once you have done that, post back to the main Renaissance Rebels thread with your results.

2) Once you have posted there, your group will be given a "Commission" from a "Patron." Just as in Leonardo's studio or MIchelangelo's workshop, there could be many people working on any one commission at any one time or over the course of time.

Hint: The sooner you have your name and methods worked out, the sooner you will get your commission and the longer you will have to complete it. How you go about it is totally up to you. I will say that your "patron" will reward you based on the amount of creativity and fun you have with the "commission," as opposed to things like difficulty, artistic merit, complexity... Have fun and find ways to use this activity to support each other and further your own creative goals.

3) At the end of the activity, we will have a virtual show and tell. Deadline to finish your commission will be Midnight, August 24th, GMT.

Questions...Post 'em below.

Ready, Set, GO!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Ooh, this sounds great! I picked the writers' group, even though lately I've been doing more sewing than writing, because writing is something I really like doing but haven't been doing enough of lately. Maybe we can do a collaboratively written short story or something...

• Like 1

Level 1 Cait Sidhe Adventurer | STR 2 - DEX 2 - STA 2 - CON 1 - WIS 2 - CHA 1

"They told me 'dress for the job you want, not the job you have.' So now I'm sitting in a disciplinary hearing in a Catwoman costume..."

Introduction: Aging goth geek seeks renewed youth, character creation tips
First challenge: Villikissa vs. the Demons of Time

Accountability Groups: Apprenticed Aboard the Queen o' Swords & Renaissance Rebel Apprentices
Battle Log: We're all mad here: the adventures of a time-travelling fairy cat

German officer: "What are you doing here?"
River Song: "Well, I was on my way to this gay Gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled, when I suddenly thought to myself 'Gosh! This Third Reich thing's a bit rubbish, isn't it? I think I'll kill the Fuehrer!'" (Doctor Who: Let's Kill Hitler)

Does the group we pick need to be related to our challenge goal, if we have one? I'm working on developing better practice habits (I play clarinet) this challenge, but I am also interested in the groups that currently exist.

• Like 1

Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer

STR 3|DEX 0|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 4

Battle Log

Challenges: 1 current

Walking to Mordor and back, in Sam's footsteps (168.2/3482):

4.83%
4.83%

Does the group we pick need to be related to our challenge goal, if we have one? I'm working on developing better practice habits (I play clarinet) this challenge, but I am also interested in the groups that currently exist.

It can be whatever group you are interested in, not necessarily related to a specific challenge goal. The big thing is to have some fun and get know your fellow RenRebs a little better. The support for your specfic challenge goals will come out of that.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Hallo! My name is Haniya in short Hans

I am a 19 year old and a 5 foot 2 inch human and like everybody else I enjoy my art; in both writing and drawing form—but I can only express myself in words and sentences(I am not that good so I may need help with this). Apart from that, I also associate myself with music even though I am not a professional or anything, I just love singing and to sing is to express happiness, I say.

I joined NF a year ago but stopped using it because of my laziness but this time I am not going to procrastinate on my health. So. I. Am. Here. Hi.

Personality wise, I am funny, witty, hyper and really calm and lazy (I rarely cuss pssh I don't even use the eff word because it gives me the "stingy feels", ya dig??

I am from Pakistan (it's in Asia) and know only two languages but I want to change that someday; maybe learn Russian or Japanese, if I can.

I study in dental college (MWAHHAHAHAHAHA I SHALL GET YOUR TEEETH! Not really~ I am a nice person, okay ;A;). In my spare time, I listen to music, I read books, I indulge in arts and sketching (sometimes) and listen to music. Also, I really enjoy international affairs and news and politics of the world (even though my mum hates it)

Lastly, I enjoy laughter. Making people laugh and motivating them is like a hobby of mine so don't be shy, okay c:

If you have any problem, ya come to me B|

• Like 1

Class and Profession: Rangers
Background: 25 year old Nerdling. Here to kick some health......butt?? I need to work on that.

Current Challenge: Hani Gets Back On The Health Choo-Choo

P.S: I am prone to make silly mistakes AND RANDOMNESS c:

NEHEHHEEH

• Like 1

Background: 25 year old Nerdling. Here to kick some health......butt?? I need to work on that.

Uh oh. Frozen jokes...

Welcome, Hans!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Hello Hans! i see you have found a place to call your own. Do you like sandwiches?

Okay, no more Frozen jokes lol

But welcome!

I see we have a frozen fan. Come let me stab----I mean love you. :L

"This message was brought to you by my fingers who were activated by the electrical signals from my brain which travelled through a network of nerves and ganglia".

Uh oh. Frozen jokes...

Welcome, Hans!

You're just too kind to me, mang. ;__;

Such love, much hearts, so amazing, wow creyz.

"This message was brought to you by my fingers who were activated by the electrical signals from my brain which travelled through a network of nerves and ganglia".

I see we have a frozen fan. Come let me stab----I mean love you. :L

I couldn't help it. I promise, no more Frozen jokes.

Jazzy

Fox Demon

Level 3

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Spread Sheet

Lvl: 1 |

No Soda PVP - 367/365 days Soda free Starting: 08/30/14 

100%
100%

I couldn't help it. I promise, no more Frozen jokes.

NOOOOooooooooOoooOoo (but whyyyy) I love frozen jokes ;_;

Don't do dis.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines