FortBacon - less body fat, patient progress

FortBacon

Keeping things SUPER simple right now while I juggle work, studies, parenting, spousing, sleeping... etc... I just want to keep losing fat while gaining what I can in strength and mobility.

Here are the simple challenge goals, then will copy-paste in my long-term goal stuff...

Lose fat while growing a little strength - drop belly below 43" and scale below 218

* FOOD: Carb Nite Solution stuff - ultra-low-carb most days - carb-load 1 day per week while tracking in MyFitnessPal

* Prep 90% or more of my food (save money, eat less junk)

* Lunch workouts - lift 3x per week, walk 3x per week (plus evening walks with family)

* Mobility work 15 min per evening

* CAIA - go through Level 1 material 3 times - learn it - and pass September exam

Time to kick fear in the teeth... acknowledge it and move forward.

That's all I got time for (no gifs, no pretty, no prose... but thanks for the love anyway nerds). I gotta get through these things (fitness, studies, etc) to take care of this family I've been given.

Here is the big-goal-life stuff...

THE BIG QUEST by summer 2016: LEAN, JACKED and LEARN-ed and vocationally settled in a long-term city

* Year 1: Lean out - down to 36" waist (is 32 possible? not sure what’s is under all this fat) while getting my first financial certification and learn Python

* Year 2: Get jacked - bulk up while honing outdoor/survival skills, second financial certification and skilled enough in coding to be at decent freelance developer

* At the end of year 2 - have the skills and knowledge that would be envied by integrity-based hedge funds and/or leading software/tech shop (or a combination of both - maybe work my own niche in finance and coding/tech).

More simply put...

MAIN QUEST: By summery 2016, get lean and jacked, be on a strong career path, and move to a long-term city with strong coding skills

My WHY remains - husband and dad trying to provide while also trying to not-die (of poor health)... and live fully!

STUFF TO ADD (for future):

* Fear - freedom from fear - I fear some people and interactions (I'm a nerd, right? this is how we are)... I want to be free of it

- of boss

- of a couple co-workers

- of rejection

- of failure

• Like 1

Rebel - Hunter - Trader - Renewing the body and mind to be as capable as possible - lean & strength

Welcome back!

For the last one, the fear of failure, it's hard for me. Engineer in me really hates failing.

I admire this guy.

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava

Welcome back!

For the last one, the fear of failure, it's hard for me. Engineer in me really hates failing.

I admire this guy.

That's good stuff - thanks - that's the kind of list I need to build. It's just hard to see it that way with big tasks like these studies or work projects - long, drawn out things that carry consequences in failure.

Very helpful.

Rebel - Hunter - Trader - Renewing the body and mind to be as capable as possible - lean & strength

i had beer for dinner, but it was a fantastic time with my wife and son... and I still stayed light on food today. Time to study and then go to bed.

• Like 1

Just found your thread.  Love the fact that you have specific long term goals for the next couple of years! Very Organized (and totally achievable!)  I too am a Father/Husband just trying to be a good example (and not die early from poor health).  Looking forward to seeing how this challenge goes for you.  Good luck.

Half/Ogre, Ranger Level 0

STR: 0, Dex: 0, STA: 0, Con: 0, WIS: 0, CHA: 0

Just found your thread.  Love the fact that you have specific long term goals for the next couple of years! Very Organized (and totally achievable!)  I too am a Father/Husband just trying to be a good example (and not die early from poor health).  Looking forward to seeing how this challenge goes for you.  Good luck.

SO GLAD you stopped by... need to find more dad-types.

Also, love the avatar - is that from the new 52 Batman comics?

<<goes to find AverageJoe's threads>>

Python! 

I'm sorry, I meant-- Great, achievable, organized goal, and I'm sure you'll succee--

Python!!!!

SO GLAD you stopped by... need to find more dad-types.

Also, love the avatar - is that from the new 52 Batman comics?

<<goes to find AverageJoe's threads>>

Us Nerd-Dads need to stick together right?  I think the avatar image is from either new 52 or Earth One

Python! 

I'm sorry, I meant-- Great, achievable, organized goal, and I'm sure you'll succee--

Python!!!!

HAHA! Similar to "SQUIRREL!" right? You're a python minion?

Great goals. Subbing. I am mom of a 3yr old trying to do the same thing. Good luck to you.

I'm the lucky father of a 4 yr old daughter and 4 month old son.  All the training I do I do for them (and my wife  :playful: she enjoys the New Joe too)

• Like 1

Great goals. Subbing. I am mom of a 3yr old trying to do the same thing. Good luck to you.

Thanks rmkwilson - nerd-parents UNITE... and good luck to you

I'm the lucky father of a 4 yr old daughter and 4 month old son.  All the training I do I do for them (and my wife  :playful: she enjoys the New Joe too)

Wow - two kiddos... we do it all for them. Mine is a 5 year old boy 

• Like 1

HAHA! Similar to "SQUIRREL!" right? You're a python minion?

No, but I have learned some basic and was recommended to learn more. It was not exactly my favorite script, but then again, I am very new to the world of coding. :)

/me pokes in to show she's still watching

/me nods approvingly at the progress

/me isn't a nerd parent so sidles off

Don't go!! :-D

Thanks for stopping by, young'n.

No, but I have learned some basic and was recommended to learn more. It was not exactly my favorite script, but then again, I am very new to the world of coding. :)

Ah. Well, I wasn't even aware of the "squirrel" coding language. I was reading the way you typed Python and it cracked me up because it seemed me think of the good dog from Up...

UP-squirrel-dog-animated-gif.gif

• Like 2

Hi Fbacon! Nice goals  :rapture: so cool that you included dealing with fear, I think everyone struggles with fears but few of us are brave enough to take them on publicly so kudos...even though I'm not a parent... or a guy...I know talking to people can be scary  :playful: 

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

I enjoyed today quite a bit! Yes, I ended it with beer, but it's to top of a recommitment to my goals (and I'm still in a decent deficit

So, back to CarbNite after today. Ran a few miles too.

So, for some accountability tomorrow:

* Up early WHEN the alarm goes of (no snoozing) - prayer and plan the day

* Go to the 5 am gym time and run a quick 5k (after which I rest until my Warrior Dash this Saturday)

* STUDY until 8am

* 8am - overdeliver at work

* Study at lunch, then back to work

* love on the family after work!

Just ran my best 5k ever... best for me, which is still pretty ugly, but for me - HOORAY! Almost down to 10min/mile

Back to work, and study

• Like 4

Just ran my best 5k ever... best for me, which is still pretty ugly, but for me - HOORAY! Almost down to 10min/mile

Back to work, and study

PR's FTW!!!! That's how you start out a challenge!
  • Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines