PrincessHeather's Goofy Challenge

I totally had to google garlic scapes, and now I'm going to be on the lookout for some! I am intrigued. I cook a lot with green and young onions, and I use everything but the little roots. I try so hard not to waste anything, which is why I have a pot of fish stock from our salmon yesterday cooling in my fridge. Looks gross, but it's nutritious!

Do you drink fish broth? I've never made it, but see people make a quick broth on Chopped sometimes to make a sauce to go with the fish they're serving. I always think that looks awesome! 

I'm OK with gross looking. But gross tasting isn't worth it for me, no matter how nutritious. As long as it's good, I don't care what it looks like! 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Thanks for sharing the hiking photo! Your mountains look much more difficult to scale than my mountains. 

I've also never reached the "too much garlic" point :P. One of my old roommates would bake pure garlic, along with some butter, and put in on bread. It was delicious.

What YA novels did you read? I'm always looking for more books to add to my reading list.

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

Man, fish broth.  Boyf used to make fish broth all the time. He only ever used it for soups and chowders, but I've wanted to make and use it for a long time. It just smells so damn disgusting (and the thought of drinking hot fish water is just not appetizing).  So share your ideas!  What are you doing with it?

Reading all this garlic talk is making me hungry.  You bastards. :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

What YA novels did you read? I'm always looking for more books to add to my reading list.

I've been reading through all of John Green's novels (all the ones that aren't The Fault in Our Stars), and they've been fairly good. Nothing earth shattering, but enjoyable. And I read some short stories in The Heroes of Olympus series. I have one more John Green novel, and then I'm going to finish up the Sookie Stackhouse series (hoping the finale of the books is a little more interesting than the show's was).

Do you drink fish broth? I've never made it, but see people make a quick broth on Chopped sometimes to make a sauce to go with the fish they're serving. I always think that looks awesome! 

I'm OK with gross looking. But gross tasting isn't worth it for me, no matter how nutritious. As long as it's good, I don't care what it looks like! 

Man, fish broth.  Boyf used to make fish broth all the time. He only ever used it for soups and chowders, but I've wanted to make and use it for a long time. It just smells so damn disgusting (and the thought of drinking hot fish water is just not appetizing).  So share your ideas!  What are you doing with it?

Reading all this garlic talk is making me hungry.  You bastards. :)

I was making the fish broth to use for a salmon chowder, since I've been freezing all the little extra bits that aren't filet-able when I process the fish.... but sadly when I froze the broth the jars shattered for some reason and I won't risk eating glass so I threw them out. Sigh.

I'm big on garlic, love it sauteed in butter and salt as a side dish. Delish... but man, I tell you that rib sauce was STRONG.

So, I have been pretty terrible at keeping up on here, sad/bad nerd am I.

But I have been doing fairly decent on things IRL, so no huge problem. I have been lifting at least once if not twice a week, and I have kept up with yoga and Alaskan excursions. We went on a glacier cruise, which was amazing!

I'm still having some pain in the shoulder blades, even after a visit to the chiropractor. I'm starting to think that my pullups are the problem. It just doesn't feel the same as the soreness I get in my legs or arms when I've pushed it on a workout.

Food has been okay, sort of new recipes but really only variations on things I've had before. But tomorrow I'm making some paleo chicken pot pie, so I'm excited about that.

I've been back into a crappy place with body image and frustration with my health in general. And sleep is becoming a major issue again, as I am always always tired and then I somehow get energy back in the evenings and stay up too late. Still avoiding caffeine most days, but it's rough. I'm not sure what's really going on. Maybe its just the weather getting cold bumming me out, who knows. I feel like I'm in a funk, and I need to get over it!

Also, I wonder if you could find a sports chiro. I would say 75% of my problem was strength imbalances (which then threw off form, which was the other 25%). My chiro out me through an hour of simple movements to measure where I was weak. And then on my pain points whether anything was particularly tight. The chiro I have does ART (active release technique) which is like localized massage, so you rebuild the weak spots for balance, and the chiro works to release tightness built up over time. It was eight weeks for my shoulder, but worth every penny and every hour with the chiro and doing PT. I'm still working on hips. And a bit on calves.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I was making the fish broth to use for a salmon chowder, since I've been freezing all the little extra bits that aren't filet-able when I process the fish.... but sadly when I froze the broth the jars shattered for some reason and I won't risk eating glass so I threw them out. Sigh.

I'm big on garlic, love it sauteed in butter and salt as a side dish. Delish... but man, I tell you that rib sauce was STRONG.

Oh man! That stinks! But that makes sense that you were using it for chowder. Maybe one day!

So, I have been pretty terrible at keeping up on here, sad/bad nerd am I.

But I have been doing fairly decent on things IRL, so no huge problem. I have been lifting at least once if not twice a week, and I have kept up with yoga and Alaskan excursions. We went on a glacier cruise, which was amazing!

I'm still having some pain in the shoulder blades, even after a visit to the chiropractor. I'm starting to think that my pullups are the problem. It just doesn't feel the same as the soreness I get in my legs or arms when I've pushed it on a workout.

Food has been okay, sort of new recipes but really only variations on things I've had before. But tomorrow I'm making some paleo chicken pot pie, so I'm excited about that.

I've been back into a crappy place with body image and frustration with my health in general. And sleep is becoming a major issue again, as I am always always tired and then I somehow get energy back in the evenings and stay up too late. Still avoiding caffeine most days, but it's rough. I'm not sure what's really going on. Maybe its just the weather getting cold bumming me out, who knows. I feel like I'm in a funk, and I need to get over it!

When I had ouchie issues with my pull ups I switched to chin ups and that allowed me to do some pulling without the pain. NOW if I do pull ups I'm okay.  For me it was definitely a strength imbalance/not using my shoulders/lats the right way thing.  

IIRC, you've followed or are following the NR 'Get a Pull Up' program/thing so yours may be something else since I'm sure that's a little more well designed than any of my programs. ha.

How'd the paleo chicken pot pie turn out?

Have you ever roasted garlic? Omg. So. Good. It gets all melty. I add it to butter. Or even spread it directly on stuff.

OMG. I love roasted garlic.  I make a roasted garlic mash a lot.  It's parsnips, carrots, something else.. maybe butternut squash? and roasted garlic. AMAZING. Really, any veggie with roasted garlic will be amazing.. so, ya know, there's that.

• Like 1

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I haven't been following the NR program, I've just been winging it. I start with the lowest assistance I can use to make a pull/chin up and max out, and then add assistance and do as many at that level, until I'm basically at whole body weight assistance. I've noticed pretty great improvement in arm definition doing this, and I'm gradually needing less assistance for that first set. But I'll look up the NR program, having a plan is certainly better than just BSing it. I'm thinking now that I was just overtraining, and maybe I'm hyper extending on the first few reps because I'm not quite there to keep tight through the whole thing at the lower levels of assistance from the machine. I should probably go back to using bands.

Paleo pot pie came out alright... I forgot a step in making the sauce so it was a little runny (I forgot to add egg yolks), and the crust was WAY too thick. But overall it tasted alright, and next time I think I'll use more chicken and some dark meat, just to add some more bulk to the meal. It was pretty veggie heavy, which was good, but I ate a lot more to feel full that I thought I would.

I have a recipe for roasted garlic soup I got from the chef at my fave restaurant back in South Dakota. I make in huge batches to freeze for easy lunches during the cold months here, so it's just about time to start making some to store again. I need more jars...

Still trucking along with workouts and food improvements. I'm going to be doing a whole 30 starting Monday, just to further get things back on track and maybe give my gut a break from some of the less healthy treats I've been allowing, particularly popcorn and cheese. It's good, and I'm getting good quality mostly, but it's certainly not necessary.

I've also been moving forward on creating a blog. I'm just starting the writing process, and I'm sure it's all info and ideas that already exist out there in teh internets, but I just want to try something new and see where it takes me. I'll share the link once I get some actual content up, I have like 4 things in drafts.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines