Korvida kicks Sugar to the curb, courts Protein and quests for the elusive Pull-Up!

Main Quest: Build strength, lose fat (end goal is 18-21% range, estimated current BF around 26-28% so this is a more-than-one-challenge type main quest)

Missions:

1) Less than 100 g carbs/day (so the body burns fat instead of using sugar for energy)  and 80-90 g protein/day minimum

• As little as possible (!) of this should come from added sugars in food
  • Follow Paleo/Primal principals as closely as possible (meat and veg, natural foods only)

2) Drink 2L of water/day (I'm horrible with this and it's dragging me down, so time to really grind in this habit!)

• Purposefully measure this out each day to know how much water I am taking in

3) Strength training 3 times per week (at least) and low-impact activity on off-days

• Weight lifting (dumbbells when available, Strong Lifts 5x5 at the gym w/barbell, resistance bands when on the road)
  • Make opportunities to start Level 2 on the road to a pullup (I'm gonna go for the chin-up for now, or whichever I can get to first lol): Bodyweight Rows

Life Quest:

Consciously choose not to allow low self esteem or self-consciousness get in the way of living my life

• One way to accomplish this is to use public spaces to train toward pull-ups, such as finding a playground/park where I can practice bodyweight rows

This is gonna be a tough one because for the next 6 weeks I will be on the road 80% of the time and I won't have control over my menu options.  I'm gonna do my absolute best to crush this challenge, however.  This time around it's going to be especially important to define success and map out how I'm gonna accomplish this stuff, so:

• For mission 1, I will track my food as meticulously as possible using MyPlate app on my phone while on the go.  This is not so much for calorie counting as for nutrient tracking, to try to make sure I'm not going over my carb goal and not falling too far under my protein goal.
  • For mission 2, I will use a water-tracking app on my phone that reminds me to drink water.  I will actually listen to it, lol.  I will pack the minimum amount of water with me for my day and make sure those bottles are empty at day-end.
  • For mission 3, I will use work-out tracking apps (StrongLifts 5x5 and MyPlate) to keep track of my activity and make sure I don't miss more than one workout due to the chaos that is surely waiting for me (heh!)

How I'll grade myself, based on missions

1) A = < 100 g carbs/90+ g protein; B = 100-125 g carbs/ 70-80 g protein; C = 125-150 g carbs/ 60-70 g protein; D = 150-175 g carbs/ 50-60 g protein; Fail = 175+g carbs/<50 g protein

2) A = 2 L + water;  B = 1.5-2.0 L water; C = 1.0-1.5 L water; D = 0.5-1.0 L water; F = <0.5 L water

3) A = All 3 workouts completed each week; B = 2 workouts completed and other physical activity during the week; C = 1 workout and other physical activity during week; D = 0 workouts; physical activity during week; FAIL = sat around all week!

I foresee Mission 1 being the most challenging with the lack of menu control and the complexity of the grading system I just made (jeez), but it's something to aim for and maybe even if I don't manage it this round I'll have a better idea what is realistic and aim for something more within my grasp.  It's something to aim for anyway.  The other 2 should be very doable and within my control, so I should have no excuses there!

• Like 1

Level: 3 Race: Human-Wood Elf Hybrid Class: Rebel

[STR - 1] [DEX - 1] [STA - 8] [CON - 7] [WIS - 13] [CHA - 3]

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

If you have a hard time staying sufficiently hydrated, you can always get one of those adult sippy cups with the straw. I keep one at my desk and when it empties, I fill it back up again. Solves my hydration issues, fast.

• Like 1

Bandcamp
Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger/Warrior
[str 8 || Dex 4 || Con 3 || Wis 3 || Cha 2] 

1st Challenge: The First Ideal

2nd Challenge: Perfection Through Practice
Fitocracy: Bandcamp14

feelings of self worth often are the biggest hurdles that we need to overcome in our challenges.  you deserve to have better self worth.

You might notice that I have added a warriors tag to your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a guild or anything, it's merely to bring you to the attention of their ambassadors.  You have goals that are similar to their focus and they might be able to support, motivate and advise you during your challenge.  You are also welcome to pop into their Meadhall and introduce yourself or ask questions. You're welcome to drop me a line anytime too if you need.

Good Luck

AB x

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thanks Blaidd!!  I appreciate the support :D

I am posting today because I just realised something mind-blowing (for me).... after reading Steve's 20 minute hotel workout post I thought... hmm if I can use my suitcase for rows... can I use it for other 5x5 stuff?  YES!  I can overhead press, squat (carefully!), deadlift and chest press my suitcase (minimally filled) and take stuff out or put stuff back in it to decrease/increase difficulty.  With a travel yoga mat tucked in the front pocket and some workout clothes I may just be set for these next six weeks of  chaos!  :topsy_turvy:  :eagerness:

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Oh I have a suggestion for staying hydrated.  I noticed something a few years ago. For me, if I don't see my water bottle, I don't even think about drinking anything.  Out of sight, out of mind I guess.  This happens to me all the time, I will be busy at work, and it will get around 4pm and I'll start getting a headache.  Its then I will realize that I haven't had anything to drink all day.  So my suggestion, is to keep it always in your vision.  When it's there I tend to drink it. 

Good luck with your goals!

• Like 1

2nd First Quest  | 3rd Quest | 4th Quest | 5th Quest | 6th

Epic progress bar of epicness.

92%
92%

Let's face it, I'm fairly epic. 

Ease in day today lol.  Some wins, some not so much lol.  I did get a 5x5 workout in yesterday.  Today I went for a walk for about an hour.  So there's some fitness done.  Even if yesterday didn't technically count as part of the challenge, I'm gonna give myself bonus points for not skimping during a non-challenge week.  

Protein intake = win! 112 g

Carb intake = ouch!  225 g 

Overall quality of food = not bad... broke down and grabbed a froyo before I leave civilization for a while, but besides that it was all pretty paleo-friendly.  I'm going to have to say goodbye to my Elevate Me protein bars pretty soon though... they're 1/4 my daily carb limit per bar :(  time to start slow cooking meats lol

Water = 1.5 L (not too shabby)

Workout tomorrow?  I hope so!  Tomorrow is a travel and logistics day so it might be rather exhausting.  I've got my workout clothes packed since I know there's a good gym at my destination.  I'm hoping they have barbells and a power rack there so I can do some 5x5... otherwise I will use dumbbells/kettlebells or at worst, do a hotel room workout (hoping I'm on the 1st floor for that!)

Time to finish packing for the road!

• Like 1

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Checking in for the day.  Despite a lot of driving and flying, I still squeaked in a 5x5 workout... and a huge milestone for me was overcoming my extreme gym-phobia and just getting myself into a gym, doing my best not to care what people thought of me as I fumbled around with the weight section trying to set up my equipment and not caring what people thought of me when I couldn't do all my overhead press reps using just an empty bar lol.  This gym is not the best.  There is no power rack, so I cannot safely set up for squats... they have a smith machine and I know from reading to avoid those like crazy if I want to build real strength and not injure myself.  I had to improvise and use dumbbells for my squat routine, I still got to the point where they were tough to do so I feel like it was a reasonable substitution.  I did a bunch of extra deadlift sets even though I was only supposed to do 1 set.  I just like doing them too much to only do one.  I'm sure I won't say that when the weight levels are higher lol.   Another tough day for carbs... 255 g, but good for protein, 148 g.  Water decent at 1.25 L approximately.  

That's all for now.  Tomorrow is working outdoors during a heatwave so hydration will be an absolute must... do not want to be writing this with a killer headache tomorrow!

• Like 1

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

If the gym doesn't have a power rack, go for the 45 degree leg press machine (I know in Australia every gym I have been in has one).. those things are a pretty awesome alternative to start building quads and gluts for when you get stuck into proper squats and you increase your weights on them a lot every single session, the progress is ridiculous. They may even have a pin loaded machine squat (not smith, one that has pads to go on your shoulders).

Listen to your body when it comes to water, 2L is a lot! Everyone is different and it's even been said that the medical community just had to come up with a number for educational purposes but it's not a hard and fast rule. You're going great guns, keep it up!

Stormshock

<Level 1 Asgardian Newbie>

STR 3 | STA 3 | DEX 1 | WIS 1 | CON 1 | CHA 2

"Comfort is the enemy of achievement"

First 6 week challenge | Before/After Photo GalleryMyfitnesspal exercise logging | Rogue Squadron Recruits Accountibilibuddies

If I may offer a thought to help with gym-phobia:

Nobody in the gym really cares about what you are doing.  They aren't judging your lifts, they don't really care about your form or anything else.  When in there, everybody is very focused on their own work.

They are as concerned with you as you are of someone at the grocery store checkout, 2 lanes down from you.  Vaguely aware of the existence but don't care unless made to care. :)

• Like 1

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

It's hard to find the lifting challenges, but it's worthwhile when you do.

I dropped my body fat% by 10% by following a low carb diet, so your goal seems very achievable to me. It took me about three months on a very mild calorie deficit, if that information is of any use to you.

• Like 1

I will do today what others won't, so that I can do tomorrow what others can't.

Building a Better Beast: Challenge #1, #2, #3 #4

Another check-in.  Missed a couple days of posting on here but I get the impression that is acceptable.  The heat wave was pretty intense and not a lot was accomplished that day, but that was alright since it was my rest day.  I drank lots of water and did alright with food.  I've been doing well to stay out of the grains but some dairy and sugar squeaks in here and there... sometimes the physically demanding work just requires a reward lol!  It has been tough to track my food and water so I'm having to estimate.  I'm sure I'm still failing my carb goal, but the protein goal seems to be going ok.  Lots of fish, chicken, beef and pork in the evening and eggs/sausage in the morning to fuel me up.  During the workday I eat some eggs, protein bar, cheese, fruit and veggies.  Yesterday I did another 5x5, working on barbell row, squats (using 2 35 lb dumbbells!) and bench press.  Once again I set up 3 unneeded deadlift sets because I lurv them.  I did just enough to wear myself out without going further since they weren't a required exercise that day.  Did a warm up and some stretches afterward.  Today I did a lot of bush-crash walking through the forests in very wet, uneven, squishy terrain so I'm sure I burned hella calories there.  Water was 1.5-2 L.  All in all not doing too shabby!  Thanks for all the great messages of support everyone :)

• Like 1

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Yep, it is good to come on often but you are not expected to come on everyday, life happens after all, but you know, it's nice to see how people are getting on!

It is really impressive that you ate well in the hot weather and keeping up with important stuff like water! Have you tried myfitness pal? For me it takes the headache out of tracking food You can edit the macros to track the numbers you want and the list is pretty comprehensive with brands and general weights of stuff, you can even enter your own recipes!

Anyway, well done on your week and enjoy week 2!

Be More Ninja

Current Challenge

Instagram

TY KingLeeroy!

I kinda fell off the fitness wagon at the start of this week, we've been working for the past 7 days in a heatwave.  Today it got up past 32 degrees C, and I was sitting in the passenger side of an Argo, which was in the process of overheating.  I generally get back to camp at the end of the day freaking exhausted and the days have been so go go go that I don't get enough water either.  Bummer on two counts.  I am eating quite decently as the camp food is fairly simply prepared and always has a clean protein and veggie option.  For example, today's meals consisted of scrambled eggs and hashbrowns for breakfast, baked fish with veggies for lunch, carrot sticks and grapes for a snack and pork loin + beets, carrots and potatoes for dinner.  Some small cheats in there: cheese, ketchup and honey in my tea.  Other than that, I'm really glad that the food options here are simple and clean.  That helps me out a lot!  There are of course the dessert options, but I'm way too picky with my goodies to ruin my clean eating for any old run-of-the-mill crap food.  So I've resolved to wait til I get back home to satisfy my chocolate cravings lol. 

The fitness goals may get a little neglected with an absolutely ridiculous work schedule over the next 2-3 weeks which is a bummer, but I'm going to adhere to the diet goals as much as possible especially if my work day wasn't particularly active.  This might be  repeat challenge for me when the field season calms down lol.

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Well things are definitely in full swing Chaos with a capital C.  My days off got turned into a mini shift and I am basically exhausted, covered in all manner of insect bites and going a little crazy as I spend what should be my days off in lieu of missed days off planning another shift so that I can work more without days off lol.  This would be totally unacceptable except that in about a month and a half there may be absolutely nothing to do and I feel like this is my window to prove that I'm worth keeping should the layoff hammer come down before the next field season arrives.  I think I'm kicking ass... but it's taking a toll on my challenges!   My challenge goals have basically been pared down to trying to avoid grain as much as possible (I've been eating dairy because cheese is an easy field food that can be packed, is a quick burst of calories and will stay good for the day in my field bag).  Sugar has crept into my diet but I am keeping it at bay as best as possible (I feel like this is akin to trying to slay a Hydra).  Workouts get left by the wayside when I have spent a 12 hour day walking through peat (which we affectionately refer to Nature's stairmaster) carrying equipment and digging holes in the ground.  Today after work I basically laid down and passed out.  Screw you 1 hour nap alarm, this girl needs like 3-4 hours so just deal with it, lol.  So am I kinda failing this challenge?  Yeah a bit... but I did get some stronglifts 5x5 workouts in over the course of my field days and I actually managed a new overhead press PR... get ready for this chunk of lameness (but it is awesome to me because I have been failing at every workout, so yay, progress!) 5 full sets of 5 overhead presses using an empty bar.  LOL I know... sadness.   But I was failing miserably each time and during the last workout I busted it out with the best form yet and almost no hint of impending failure.   Aww yeah, here comes the gun show!  lol.  Yes this is my crazy field ranting self coming out but I felt the need to check in.  I'll probably be revamping and reusing this challenge next round(s) when I can really dedicate myself fully to these goals because I think they are really important to follow as closely as possible.

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

The sugar demon is a mighty beast hope that you can punch it in the face!

Sounds like you are doing well, hope it keeps you in good stead for not being made redundant, never a nice feeling! 

I don't think you are failing it sounds like you were exhausted and needed the extra rest,you are still working away slowly, these are things you can build on, keep going you are awesome!

• Like 1

Be More Ninja

Current Challenge

Instagram

Well things are definitely in full swing Chaos with a capital C.  My days off got turned into a mini shift and I am basically exhausted, covered in all manner of insect bites and going a little crazy as I spend what should be my days off in lieu of missed days off planning another shift so that I can work more without days off lol.  This would be totally unacceptable except that in about a month and a half there may be absolutely nothing to do and I feel like this is my window to prove that I'm worth keeping should the layoff hammer come down before the next field season arrives.  I think I'm kicking ass... but it's taking a toll on my challenges!   My challenge goals have basically been pared down to trying to avoid grain as much as possible (I've been eating dairy because cheese is an easy field food that can be packed, is a quick burst of calories and will stay good for the day in my field bag).  Sugar has crept into my diet but I am keeping it at bay as best as possible (I feel like this is akin to trying to slay a Hydra).  Workouts get left by the wayside when I have spent a 12 hour day walking through peat (which we affectionately refer to Nature's stairmaster) carrying equipment and digging holes in the ground.  Today after work I basically laid down and passed out.  Screw you 1 hour nap alarm, this girl needs like 3-4 hours so just deal with it, lol.  So am I kinda failing this challenge?  Yeah a bit... but I did get some stronglifts 5x5 workouts in over the course of my field days and I actually managed a new overhead press PR... get ready for this chunk of lameness (but it is awesome to me because I have been failing at every workout, so yay, progress!) 5 full sets of 5 overhead presses using an empty bar.  LOL I know... sadness.   But I was failing miserably each time and during the last workout I busted it out with the best form yet and almost no hint of impending failure.   Aww yeah, here comes the gun show!  lol.  Yes this is my crazy field ranting self coming out but I felt the need to check in.  I'll probably be revamping and reusing this challenge next round(s) when I can really dedicate myself fully to these goals because I think they are really important to follow as closely as possible.

Any new PR is a new PR. Don't worry about what others are doing. Worry what you're doing. ALWAYS LISTEN TO SARGE

• Like 3

Bandcamp
Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger/Warrior
[str 8 || Dex 4 || Con 3 || Wis 3 || Cha 2] 

1st Challenge: The First Ideal

2nd Challenge: Perfection Through Practice
Fitocracy: Bandcamp14

Taking a quick 5 min to check in halfway through:

Diet: moderate success - doing a decent job of choosing paleo options but do not have time to track intakes.  Sugar too high, protein might be too low, but do try to eat lots of eggs and meat when possible.  When working physically I eat some dairy products (cheese, yogurt) to help a bit.

Water: not so great - did not drink enough water during heatwave, suffered dizziness and nausea for an evening, then charliehorse cramps in my legs the next night.  Drank more water and took calcium-magnesium supplements to ease suffering there.  Still not stopping frequently enough for water :(

Gym: doing not too bad actually!  Couldn't sleep and so I hit the amazingly excellent and brand new gym in the camp I'm currently at and busted out my 5x5... I'm now deadlifting 50 kg and squatting 35 kg.  So getting better!  The squats were moderately easy and the deadlift was right where I needed it to be to be challenging but doable.  I keep getting a little better and that helps me know that I can go into a gym, set up, and do my stuff and not care what anyone thinks!!  

Alright now crashing - sleepy time!  Happy hump day NF!

• Like 1

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines