Kobnach Seeks Stamina with a Side of Strength

Kobnach

Hi Rangers! I've decided to explore outside of Adventurer land this time, because my routine badly needs shaking up. Unfortunately this means I'm not sure quite what I'm doing ;-)

I've had fundamentally the same main quest since I started on Nerd Fitness - create habits that enhance my health. Walking increasing distances every challenge has been very successful. Attempts to deal with food, sleep, and depression have been kind of variable, and my adventures with a personal trainer have been unsatisfactory. (Yes, I was getting fitter, but I never started to enjoy the process, and consequently failed to establish workout habits when not with the trainer.)

Well, insanity is doing the same things again and again while expecting different results. Today was my last trainer session. Now I have a great big gap, which I hope to fill with swimming. I also hope to establish a very basic, very low level home core fitness routine, and actually follow it.

However, this isn't set up - designing the routine, finding a pool, etc. etc. all need to be part of this challenge. So this challenge thread is starting as a place holder, to be replaced as I figure out what my missions really are.

Here's an approximate set of missions:

1. Walk - average of 6000 steps per day, as measured by my somewhat flaky Basis Band. This is not an increase, but I failed at my steps goal last challenge, for the first time ever, so I'm cutting myself some slack. It's *hot* and that's limiting my walking somewhat.  --> 4 STA

2. Swimming - find a pool, acquire swim gear that fits, determine what I'm currently capable of, and then try doing it 3 times a week. (Time commitment to be adjusted.) --> 2 CON, 2 STR

3. Core Fitness - design a routine, then do it. Probably on 3 of the days when I'm not swimming. Consistency far more important than difficulty. --> 2 DEX 2 STR

Life quest - not sure yet. I've got a major list of candidates for this slot. The three leading candidates are:

- hire someone to deal with some of my excess workload, thereby ensuring it gets done

- mental exercises to control a tendency to depression.

- reduce household clutter

--> 3 WIS, probably  -- CHA if it's clutter

I anticipate spending a week out of town during this challenge, and 2 days mostly stuck in airplanes. Swimming is unlikely to happen while away. Core fitness will be limited to bodyweight exercises. Walking should be quite feasible except the two days when I'm stuck in airplanes.

I won't have any explicit missions for food or sleep. I'm doing decently on controlling undesirable foods, and will continue the same rules. Actually eating the good stuff isn't working so well - but that suggests there's no point repeating the same tired old approach.

• Like 7

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 16 | CON 10 | WIS 13 | CHA 6

Current Challenge  Battle Log   Past: 5 4 3 2 1 0.1

YEA!!!!  Welcome to the Rangers!

How can we help you achieve goals?? 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

I found swimming a very soothing activity when I used to swim laps with a Special Olympian.  There is something very Zen about it.  I bet it would help you clear some mindspace.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

I've just joined the Positivity Group which is a nerd-fitness accountability group devoted to positive thinking as a means of combattting depression. So that's one of my 3 life quest choices committed to - but not sure whether or not it will be the official "life quest" this time.

• Like 3

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Subbed mate. For the home fitness what about Angry Birds or BBWW on the NF site? Both are good for kicking your butt and developing a routine with consistency. During summer I used to do the BBWW around 10pm at night, cool enough to exercise then.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

YEA!!!!  Welcome to the Rangers!

How can we help you achieve goals?? 

Welcome to the Rangers!  It's good to have you here.  How can we help get you started?   :)

Thanks. I'm not sure what help I need, if any, unless you can control my local weather, or provide a willpower transplant. Maybe advice on the core fitness/strength part of this, once I start writing about it. I've actually got a rough idea though - basically selected exercises that I don't despise, can do with my mini-home gym (bosu, exercise ball, a few dumbbells), and figure I have my form solid enough they won't do more harm than good - and which don't overstrain my still somewhat fragile knees.

First, though, I'm unpacking the boxes that got stacked in my exercise space, in front of my exercise tools. I figure that counts as fitness training of a kind ;-) Though I'm a bit tempted to dig out the weights and do something a little more standard, now I'm all warmed up unpacking boxes. (Or maybe that's all warmed up from the heat in my house.)

• Like 2

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Alright! You and Beaucastle are both going to be rangers this time! 

Swimming sounds like a great addition to your challenge.

Have you thought about a couple of kettlebells? I'm finding I like them a lot more than dumbbells and I can get some more dynamic workouts with the swings and getups. Quite versatile and more fun than the usual hand held weights.

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Things that may belong in a home grown core fitness routine:

- lateral raises - last noted as doing 3 sets of 15 * 5 lb dumbbells

- bicep curls - last noted as 3 * 20 * 5 lb dumbbells; lots of variants possible including standing on the bosu

- floor press - my notes say things like 3 * 15 * 5 lb dumbbells; my memory says bigger weights, fewer reps. good for developing muscles I need for proper pushups

- various flavours of shrugs

- yet another exercise I don't know the name of, which would be like an out of phase shrug, if it didn't involve the whole body ;-)

- something I think is called a plank-

- various yoga derived stretches.  I have specific ones in mind, but need to look up names ;-)

- door frame stretches

- steps ups - onto bosu, or onto doorstep

- wall or furniture pushups. (Can't do real ones.)

- various flavours of crunches.  But given that I dislike them, not at the start.

- a couple of odd exercises with the bosu I can't put a name to ;-)

- supermen, but not immediately (dislike)

- cobras, but not immediately (dislike)

Things that don't belong in *my* fitness routine, either because I hate them or because I know they are likely to cause problems

- running (knees)

- jumping jacks (knees)

- more than tiny amounts of squats or lunges (knees)

- sun salutations (hate)

- anything involving gripping monstrous rubber bands in my hands (hate)

Things that might be more fun:

- picking up the dog (50 lb)

- swinging from playground equipment, in evenings after the kids have gone home ;-)

- digging out the wii-fit and its boxing exercise

I'm thinking I'll start with "pick a few" not anything specific, and see whether a routine develops.

• Like 4

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Go with what works best for you my friend. Otherwise you are wasting your time.

• Like 1

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Things that may belong in a home grown core fitness routine:

- lateral raises - last noted as doing 3 sets of 15 * 5 lb dumbbells

- bicep curls - last noted as 3 * 20 * 5 lb dumbbells; lots of variants possible including standing on the bosu

- floor press - my notes say things like 3 * 15 * 5 lb dumbbells; my memory says bigger weights, fewer reps. good for developing muscles I need for proper pushups

- various flavours of shrugs

- yet another exercise I don't know the name of, which would be like an out of phase shrug, if it didn't involve the whole body ;-)

- something I think is called a plank-

- various yoga derived stretches.  I have specific ones in mind, but need to look up names ;-)

- door frame stretches

- steps ups - onto bosu, or onto doorstep

- wall or furniture pushups. (Can't do real ones.)

- various flavours of crunches.  But given that I dislike them, not at the start.

- a couple of odd exercises with the bosu I can't put a name to ;-)

- supermen, but not immediately (dislike)

- cobras, but not immediately (dislike)

Things that don't belong in *my* fitness routine, either because I hate them or because I know they are likely to cause problems

- running (knees)

- jumping jacks (knees)

- more than tiny amounts of squats or lunges (knees)

- sun salutations (hate)

- anything involving gripping monstrous rubber bands in my hands (hate)

Things that might be more fun:

- picking up the dog (50 lb)

- swinging from playground equipment, in evenings after the kids have gone home ;-)

- digging out the wii-fit and its boxing exercise

I'm thinking I'll start with "pick a few" not anything specific, and see whether a routine develops.

I think you are wise to eliminate exercises you hate.  Although those exercises have their benefits, the best exercise is the one you will actually do.  The NF Advanced BWW did awesome things for my figure in six weeks, but I dreaded each workout.  I'd rather get there slower and do it happy!

• Like 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

An interesting start:

- I'm walking. Except I forgot and kept with the 7K step target ;-)

- I've been clearing out my exercise space and gained access to my weights, bosu, etc, though the space is still a bit too crowded

- I located several reasonably priced pools with workable schedules. (Nothing wonderful, but adequate.)

BUT - even sitting here sweltering, I couldn't find the courage to try on my swim suit, and see how much too small it's probably become :-(  Needless to say getting my butt to a store to buy one that fits didn't happen either :-( Even though the idea of being in water on these hot days - and exercising there, not in the heat - is absolutely wonderful.

Maybe I should revise my challenge - swim *or* core i.e. if I wimp out on the pool, I have to exercise in the heat :-(

• Like 4

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Day one cobber. Dont jump on yourself just yet.

• Like 1

Hi there!

I second the 'dont do things you hate'...if you dislike crunches, then pfft don't bother. There are a bazilllion different ab exercises (and if you read Steve's shape-up recap, he didn't actually do any ab-specific exercises and still got results). 

While creating habits that enhance your health is a great goal, maybe consider a more specific/measurable main quest? What would that enhanced health look like (being able to swim a mile, reaching a certain weight or body fat, fitting into smaller clothes) to you? Imagining what the best version of you could do/be can be motivating...it's tough to see progress with no metric. 

But I'm not trying to pressure you to change your goals, different approaches work for different people. Just a thought. :rapture:

I've also struggled with depressed/negative thoughts, the community here is so encouraging though  :positive:  it's so rare (especially on the Internet) to find such a positive community.

• Like 3

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Hiroro, this is the most positive site that I have ever been on in my 10+ years of net surfing.

Many here have depression/self esteem issues so we know how to treat people.

• Like 1

Hi there!

I second the 'dont do things you hate'...if you dislike crunches, then pfft don't bother. There are a bazilllion different ab exercises (and if you read Steve's shape-up recap, he didn't actually do any ab-specific exercises and still got results). 

While creating habits that enhance your health is a great goal, maybe consider a more specific/measurable main quest? What would that enhanced health look like (being able to swim a mile, reaching a certain weight or body fat, fitting into smaller clothes) to you? Imagining what the best version of you could do/be can be motivating...it's tough to see progress with no metric. 

But I'm not trying to pressure you to change your goals, different approaches work for different people. Just a thought. :rapture:

I've also struggled with depressed/negative thoughts, the community here is so encouraging though  :positive:  it's so rare (especially on the Internet) to find such a positive community.

It's hard to define what enhanced health looks like for me, and much of it is negative. But you've got me thinking.

- no backaches (or fewer)

- ditto re shoulders and any other piece of me that tends to get stiff or imbalanced for no reason

- no problems with exertion in daily life (can lift 50 lb, can carry 30 comfortably without special props, can do physical work as long as I need to)

- no IBS attacks

- excellent balance

- no bad report cards from my annual physical. (And have the doc decide I don't need statins any more?)

- no more weight gain; weight between 135 and its current position

- no more clothes size gain, and losing about 1 size would be nice

- robust knees that don't keep me from running

Positive milestones are easier:

- walk 10K steps daily

- able to swim 1 mile (would be great, and I'd even be willing to ease off the steps on days when I do that much swimming ;-))

- eating at least 5 fruits/veggies per day, not counting cheats like juice

- not normally tired during the day

In fact, my original main quest (first challenge) expressed healthy habits as:

- 10K steps

- 5 fruits/veggies

- 8 hours of sleep

if I recall correctly.

• Like 5

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Yay for a new challenge! Glad you quit the trainer and decided to go with exercise you like. :D

Subbed.

Sent using Tapatalk Owl Post.

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

Hey fellow Positivity Group 2 mate! 

I like how your goals are more like, "discover" how you'll do what you like, instead of "swim 8mi/day" and not even have a pool yet.

I too recommend Steve's body weight workouts - the beginner, angry birds, hotel.  He's had amazing results while traveling and not having a gym.

Also take a look at the Tough Mudder workouts.  They have three levels and they're a mix of cardio and body weight/some weights (and you have dumbbells, so that works).  They're worth throwing on some loud music with a beat and trying it out.

I went pretty far on my fitness journey with Steve's resources and bw stuff.  Even the gym I'm at now (it's just...ok) has amazing stuff - big pool, aerobic classes, gymnasium, exercise room - and I just head straight for the squat rack.  It's as though I only need that 8x8ft space, then rest is just waste.

• Like 3

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

masejyny.jpg

Here is the Positivity Shark for you.

You are welcome.

• Like 3

Super great.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines