• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

cn3wton

cn3wton, Dúnedain, Ranger of the North.

Recommended Posts

Thanks for all the birthday wishes everybody! It was a good day. Got some of my favorite foods and had a bunch of people over to just hang out. 

 

Didn't go to the gym but thats ok. I've done good this week.

 

Something I need to get back into is walking the dog in the morning and at night. I stopped doing it on days when he goes to day care, and now when he wakes up in the morning he will happily lay on the bed with me and snooze. And I love that. But I need to do whats best for him, and I these walks are good for both of us.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did some stuff with the dog over the weekend and game night last night.

 

I've decided to stop drinking so much Iced tea and drink more water. Because it seems every weekend I end up getting killer headaches and am just tired all the time. I don't know why this doesn't happen during the week... But gotta work on this. I think dehyrdation is a huge part of it.

 

Game night went ok. I used to DM for this group but ended up getting frustrated with it and we stopped. No one really takes it seriously and talks over me. Well the new DM got a taste of it last night and I could see the frustration. I felt bad, because I know how much work hes putting into it. But I was trying to get people to make their characters and they just ignored me while I tried to help him out. I am hoping next time things go smoother but maybe now hes seen what I have put up with.

 

No gym the next two days, but back wednesday. Nutrition is my next focus.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great morning. Dog threw up on the bed. Don't think anythings wrong after googling. Just says he may have had an empty stomach and the bile upset him. He was also licking at something and that may have done it. Mom's watching him today and hes acting fine so maybe just a fluke.

 

He goes to the vet tonight for his shots. See how he acts tonight wether or not I take him for a long walk or just play in the yard.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9/27

 

Helped out moving a tv mount at the gym last night. Didn't work out though because I had to pick up the dog from day care.

 

Dog's learned how to escape the fenced in area, by leaping through a gap in the wall... so that is a project for the weekend.

 

Gym tonight is questionable as I don't have any shoes, left them at home. But I'm sure I can borrow a pair from the owner or just go shoeless. 

 

Spoke to one of the coaches at the gym, just got his yoga certification and he does the kind of yoga I liked to do. Reached out to him about possibly doing private 1 on 1 stuff once a week to get back to where I once was. I love yoga for the flexibility and strength it offers. Also I got hurt/hurt in general less when doing yoga. So this might be a way to get back into it.

 

9/28

 

Brought donuts for the workers on the floor. Put them out in the factory to help prevent me from eating any. Not much to report honestly fitness wise.

 

However finances I've started making a huge change to try to pay off the debt that accumulated while unemployed. Now I have a plan, and that will influence my food. No more eating out for breakfast lunch and dinner. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't go to the gym last week. Life came up most days, but honestly I could have made it work a few days and I just didn't... But I won't dwell on it too much just gotta move forward.

 

Saturday was a relatively lazy day, driving the dog around spending some time with him. Not much to report.

 

Sunday was a fun day, but nuts. Up early to go to book club, then a 2 hour drive out to visit someone who received Rykers litter mate and the breeder. I was excited to visit this state park and walk around with them. Sharing our common experience with this breed. And it was great. We walked a total of 4 miles, and there was a pumpkin festival going on. 100's of people and a good amount of dogs everywhere and Ryker did great. Didn't bark, just stayed near me and ignored most everyone around him. 2 of the vendors where selling home made dog treats so he and the other dogs where spoiled. Our group garnered quite a bit of attention. As 3 wiemaraners is quite a rare sight.

 

The do not pet collar help to determined some unwanted attention, and everyone when it came to Ryker was considerate and asked if they could pet him. And I always oblige if someone has the courtesy to ask. However some of the other dogs where not afforded that opportunity, and a little bit of snarling happened in one meeting between Rykers brother, Louie, and a golden that was obviously not comfortable in the situation and was extremely tense.

 

Read your dogs folks. If they seem on edge and jumpy in a big festival, leave them home. And especially don't introduce them to strange dogs and people...

 

Ryker did great around the Breeders kids. Licking them but no nipping (thank god!). It makes me so happy to just have him be a part of these kinds of activities without having to be embarrassed about how he acts. Got a little present for myself for my podcast (some local whiskey) and we went separate ways. Knowing that I had a long drive ahead of us I avoided searching for a local restaurant to get a really good meal at and just ate at wendys. Something I really regret because Ryker could have easily slept in his crate while I went in to eat as it was a nice cool day and he slept the 2 hour ride home anyways. Also the food sucked... I think it would have been a nice part of the trip. I plan on doing more of these day trips with the dog in the future.

 

As of today I have switched to budget mode for food. In an attempt to get my life back on track. I need to pinch pennies to get things back so no more eating out every meal every day. Its also a good start to get me back into meal prep. I picked some controversial foods to start off with. But I really need something I can stick with. 

 

Breakfast is a healthier choice cereal with almond milk

Lunch is a pbj with locally made bread and some veggies

Dinner is low carb microwavable chicken breast and steamfresh veggies.

 

Comes out to roughly 50 bucks a week for food. And while obviously not the best food for me to have, its better than 3 slices of pizza a day for lunch. 

 

I have given myself some allowance of 50 bucks for free money each week. This will cover my friday lunch with the other engineer at work and other random expenses.

 

Thats about it for now.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I don't know if anyone else listens to the Joe Rogan podcast but I am an avid listener. And the last two episodes he has posted are pretty interesting. Debates between two professionals (scientists) in regards to nutrition and diets. Paleo vs Vegan, etc.

 

They are pretty interesting and I highly suggest listening to them.

 

But Joe said something that I don't quite know how I feel about. They kept bringing up sustainability and adherence. And it was a pretty shocking statistic. Of all the people that lose weight 95% of them gain it back within the next few years. I of course, am part of that 95%. But Joe said the issue with these diets and a lot of nutritional advice is that they give people an out. Saying things like "Is it sustainable?" and other questions just gives people an out. And that they should just suck it up and do it. That he didn't wan't to hear and talk about people who fail because it drags you down and are not people you want to associate with. That he only wants to talk about outliers and those who are successful as those are the people you want to talk to and learn from. 

 

And I had the realization that I was just called an undesirable by Joe Rogan. And it made me angry, because its true when it comes to that part of my life. He went on to explain that hes telling this 95% what they need to hear. Sure hes gonna piss a lot of people of, but its true. And its got me thinking about quite a bit of stuff.

 

More on this later.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to have to find this podcast...I'm one that adhered 95% for years (Paleo) and still gained weight :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cn3wton said:

But Joe said something that I don't quite know how I feel about. They kept bringing up sustainability and adherence. And it was a pretty shocking statistic. Of all the people that lose weight 95% of them gain it back within the next few years. I of course, am part of that 95%. But Joe said the issue with these diets and a lot of nutritional advice is that they give people an out. Saying things like "Is it sustainable?" and other questions just gives people an out. And that they should just suck it up and do it. That he didn't wan't to hear and talk about people who fail because it drags you down and are not people you want to associate with. That he only wants to talk about outliers and those who are successful as those are the people you want to talk to and learn from. 

So he only wants an audience that comprises 5% of the population? The reason 95% of people gain weight back is not because of lack of character as Joe seems to imply. If only 5% of people keep weight off with diets, it's not the people that are the problem. That's not to say we are not responsible for our health, but that "dieting" is not the way to get to a healthy weight. Furthermore, study after study has shown that the shaming approach Joe employed simply does not work. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RES said:

I'm going to have to find this podcast...I'm one that adhered 95% for years (Paleo) and still gained weight :( 

 

They have some really interesting thoughts on that kind of stuff. They literally said that sometimes low carb diets don't trigger weight loss in some people... 

 

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

So he only wants an audience that comprises 5% of the population? The reason 95% of people gain weight back is not because of lack of character as Joe seems to imply. If only 5% of people keep weight off with diets, it's not the people that are the problem. That's not to say we are not responsible for our health, but that "dieting" is not the way to get to a healthy weight. Furthermore, study after study has shown that the shaming approach Joe employed simply does not work. 

 

I think it was a bit harsh, but I think out of context it sounds a bit worse than it was. I think he agreed with what you where saying, but had an issue more with the idea of working this stuff in from the get go. Saying things like sustainability of a way of eating. Everyone on the podcast agreed that diets dont work. It changing how you eat for life. And Joe said that he hates lumping words like sustainability in with something because he feels as soon as people "fall of the wagon" they are gone for good because they have the excuse of saying "X diet just isn't sustainable."

 

Though he does say some things that I don't agree with. He did straight out say something along the lines that the issue with it is discipline when it comes to food and people need to realize its going to be hard and keep doing it and not be weak.

 

I strongly think theres a good middle ground when it comes to this whole thing. I think a lot more people need a bit of tough love, but not shaming. I think I will relisten to the podcast again and strongly encourage everyone to listen and let me know what there take from what he said was.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for reminding me about the podcast, I wanted to listen to that. I see somewhat what he's saying, but I don't think it is all about discipline. I think way too many diet plans say this is going to be easy, whether it's Paleo, low- carb ,vegan, whatever. But it isn't . We are surrounded by food . And a lot of that food is designed to tell your brain that you need MORE of it. And we've grown up using food as rewards, or comfort. To lose and maintain weight loss requires you to really change your whole relationship with food. And I don't think it's a pas / fail. I think the point he was making about sustainability was right. If  we have the mindset of the rule is to never eat sugar, I ate sugar, therefore I fail and I may as well eat the whole pie,  then yeah that sets us up for failure. But that could be said for discipline too. If we have the mindset of " I will have self control and never again eat pizza, then the moment we eat pizza we figure we've lost.  I think  most people are really good at making

themselves feel guilty about their food choices, I don't think we need more of that. Learning to treat ourselves with kindness, and  looking at it objectively and figuring out why we made choices contrary to our goals (which doesn't make us lazy or bad) and how we might improve is what makes the difference.

 

Also interesting is the scientist are now researching into how the bacteria in our gut influences our weight and food choices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm glad to know that in context it wasn't as harsh as it seems. 

 

I think it was definitely harsh, but not malicious. Does that make sense?

 

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Thanks for reminding me about the podcast, I wanted to listen to that. I see somewhat what he's saying, but I don't think it is all about discipline. I think way too many diet plans say this is going to be easy, whether it's Paleo, low- carb ,vegan, whatever. But it isn't . We are surrounded by food . And a lot of that food is designed to tell your brain that you need MORE of it. And we've grown up using food as rewards, or comfort. To lose and maintain weight loss requires you to really change your whole relationship with food. And I don't think it's a pas / fail. I think the point he was making about sustainability was right. If  we have the mindset of the rule is to never eat sugar, I ate sugar, therefore I fail and I may as well eat the whole pie,  then yeah that sets us up for failure. But that could be said for discipline too. If we have the mindset of " I will have self control and never again eat pizza, then the moment we eat pizza we figure we've lost.  I think  most people are really good at making

themselves feel guilty about their food choices, I don't think we need more of that. Learning to treat ourselves with kindness, and  looking at it objectively and figuring out why we made choices contrary to our goals (which doesn't make us lazy or bad) and how we might improve is what makes the difference.

 

Also interesting is the scientist are now researching into how the bacteria in our gut influences our weight and food choices. 

 

The book Wired to Eat is a pretty great resource on the science of this whole thing. And it proves, through science, exactly what you are saying. The issue is its counterintuitive for our bodies not to eat everything we see, because our bodies still havent adapted to our current way of life where food is readily available. Interesting read for sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cn3wton said:

 

I think it was definitely harsh, but not malicious. Does that make sense?

 

 

The book Wired to Eat is a pretty great resource on the science of this whole thing. And it proves, through science, exactly what you are saying. The issue is its counterintuitive for our bodies not to eat everything we see, because our bodies still havent adapted to our current way of life where food is readily available. Interesting read for sure.

Yeah, I've read that book (or listened to is actually-) Which is where I get that information. I find that information very helpful. Strict rule of never eating processed food doesn't really work for me, but the awareness that things like potato chips may mess with my normal satiety signals ,helps me when I do decide to eat them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a weekend. Forgot about my 10year high school reunion. Only about 20 people showed up but I ripped up the dance floor and drank more than I would have liked. But I was a good time.

 

Payed for it the next day. Sore and exhausted. Still took a 2 mile hike with the dog though. But his sneezing got really bad...

 

After an emergency trip to the vet this morning because I got barely an hours sleep hes got some meds to hopefully get whatever is stuck in his nose out... If it doesn't get any better they will have to put a scope up his nose. Which will require putting him under... So fun times. Food has been meh, and havent been back to the gym. Soon though.... once things calm down.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another great weekend has gone by.

 

Saturday was haunted hay ride and maze at a local farm. The hay ride wasn't very scary, but the maze was the highlight.

 

Sunday was the memorial for my grandfather, we also buried his ashes. It was a nice time to remember him. Its hard to believe its been almost a year. Since he was the caretaker of the cemetery, a job his son now holds, we all took turns filling in the grave and cleaning up. It was odd, but also nice. Something I think he would have appreciated.

 

Still not back to the gym and eating extremely well, but I am making progress. I will be back to the gym this week.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've decided that tomorow I am going back to the gym. Everything points to that being the best day for it.

 

This weekends focus will be trying to get my nutrition back on track.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still alive and still kicking. Still struggling with nutrition and settling into a routine. But I am getting there.

 

Red dead redemption 2 isn't helping though...

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now