Lupus gets moving.

Loopus

New challenge means a new focus.

So yeah - new challenge! Woo! I had a heap of good progress in the last one, and I feel really good about it. But, I can't help but feel... "What's the point?" Personally, I think that this strength I've worked up should be put to use. So, I'm finally going to try pursue something that I've always loved and wanted to go for;

This challenge, I'm learning/training Parkour.

I used to train and practice quite a lot, in Scotland, before moving to Australia. Vaults, climbing, falling off of things - it was fun, and it was good exercise. I've never really continued with that, until this challenge. There's a group of traceurs in Australia - the APA, or Australian Parkour Association - who count among their instructors a member of Nerd Fitness (Hey, hitlionsoul!). So, imma be going to some training sessions and just generally working on parkour movements and techniques this challenge, with a little bit of lifting included so that my progress doesn't go to waste.

So, onto the details!

Exercise

Parkour

So, I've planned out 6 sub goals for me to progress with throughout the challenge. The aren't exactly progressive, but they cover what I consider the primary steps/areas of parkour. Of course, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

1. Running and Falling - Perform a passable roll over both sides of my body
  2. Climbing and Precision Jumping - TBA
  3. Vaults I - Side, Monkey
  4. Vaults II - Speed, Dash
  5. Vaults III - Kong, Lazy
  6. Movement - Quadrupedal and Balance

Each sub goal will be performed as well as the previous goals. Ambidexterity is important here - I'm terrible with my left side - but thats just down to practice. Ill also be running at least 2km - 3km as a warmup for this.

Lifting and BW Exercises

At the advice of those much wiser than I am, I'm going to be using lifting simply as a maintenance thing this challenge around, combining it with body weight exercises for a fuller workout. 

So, the lifting will involve;

• Squats - Current working weight of 80kg. 
  • Deadlifts - Current working weight of 65kg
  • OHP - Current working weight of 50kg 

Pretty simple, right? Ill be warming up with the bar (10 reps), then doing half working weight (10 reps), 10kg under working weight (5 reps) then working weight (3 reps) for each lift.

The body weight stuff can be found at [insert link here] this link - its a fantastic looking bodyweight routine that I think'll do me a lot more good than the standard NF bbww or abww. 

Goals

• Achieve competency in all vaults attempted - +3 STA, +2 DEX
  • Maintain or increase lifting weight - +2 STR
  • Attend at least one APA training session - +3 CHA
  • Get uni off to a good start - + 2 WIS
  • Save $1000 - +3 CON

Timetable

• Monday - Parkour
  • Tuesday - Lifting/BW
  • Wednesday - Rest
  • Thursday - Parkour
  • Friday - Lifting/BW
  • Saturday  - Parkour
  • Sunday - Rest

Good luck to you all, check back in every week for updates :D

(TL:DR - Parkour challenge with some lifting and bw stuff thrown in. Woo!)

• Like 4

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

Lupus!!  Good to see you again.  I'm impressed by the parkour sub goals!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Hey, Chris-Tien Jinn, im still going, albeit quietly :P

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

OK guys, week one is finished! It went pretty well, I did a good bit of training, my diet was a success, lifting occurred, and I've not spent much at all :P So its going well! A few injuries and sore bits though, mostly parkour related, but nothing too dire.

• Like 1

- Marcus Aurelius

Been training with hitlionsoul this weekend, I'll stick the video of (mostly) her and me in here when she gets round to posting it!

Apparently, im rather good at parkour. Weird... :P

• Like 2

- Marcus Aurelius

I am still alive, and everything Hitlionsoul soul said os true, I do need to train more. Im still dping it, but it's been raining a bit lately. I did one run last week and some lifting, but the last two weeks have been roughly 2 runs a week and some lifting, but nothing intense. My schedule has gone out the window too :P But I'm still going! Weather has perked up now :D 

Dark, I'll post the video soon, I'm on my phonr atm :P

- Marcus Aurelius

I am. University killed this challenge off rather quickly, and in a rather saddening way. I have very little time for anything but study, nowadays. Im dealing with it, but barely coping, I'll be honest. I have another challenge readied up, though.  Should work better - easy tracking, etc.

Just hope I don't go back to my old self.

- Marcus Aurelius

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines