Thister, Calling into Rebel HQ!

Introduction: My name is Thister and this is my first challenge. I am a fairly avid runner and I'm in average shape, but I would like to get more fit and gain more lean muscle mass. I am a PhD student, so I can easily schedule time to run outdoors and to do weight training at the gym. I am here because I want to be healthier, more fit, and improve my confidence as I work on finishing up my dissertation this year. I get a bit anxious about writing, so I am trying to improve my confidence in this realm too.

Main Quest: Lose weight and fit into a 31/32 waist-size. I'm currently at a 33/34, so it's not a big jump. I've got an average body with some love handles that I would eventually love to lose. So this is just the first step in that process.

25%
25%

Quest One: Do beginning body workout 3 times a week.

Measurement: A = 3x/wk; B = 2x/wk; C = 1x/wk

Reward: A = +3 STR, +2 STA ; B = +2 STR, +1 STA; C = +1 STR

33.3%
33.3%

Quest Two: Meditate at least 3 times a week. Each is a 15 minute session. I've been meditating just not consistently. (To decrease anxiety and improve confidence.)

Measurement: A = 3x/wk; B = 2x/wk; C = 1x/wk

Reward: A = +3 WIS, +2 CHA; B = +2 WIS, +1 CHA; C = +1 WIS

33.3%
33.3%

Quest ThreeRun intervals at least twice a week for roughly 30 minutes total time.

Measurement: A = 30 mins 2x/wk; B =  30 mins 1x/wk or 15 mins 2x/wk; C = 15 mins 1x/wk

Reward: A = +3 DEX; B = +2 DEX; C = +1 Dex

33.3%
33.3%

Life Quest: Write a dissertation chapter in six weeks time (or roughly 40 pages).

Measurement: A = Whole Chapter ~40 pages; B = 2/3 Chapter ~30-35 pages; C = 1/2 Chapter ~20 pages

Reward: A = +2 WIS; B = +1 WIS; C =+.5 WIS

12%
; background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, 0 0, 100% 100%, color-stop(.25, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2)), color-stop(.25, transparent), color-stop(.5, transparent), color-stop(.5, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2)), color-stop(.75, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2)), color-stop(.75, transparent), to(transparent) ); background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); background-image: -moz-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); background-image: -ms-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); background-image: -o-linear-gradient( -45deg, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 25%, transparent 25%, transparent 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 50%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .2) 75%, transparent 75%, transparent ); -webkit-background-size: 23px 23px; -moz-background-size: 23px 23px; background-size: 23px 23px; border-radius: 4px;">12%

Motivation: Ultimately, I am motivated to find a greater balance between the mental labor I engage in on a daily basis and the lack of physical labor I succumb to because of it.  I want to have a more sound mind AND body, and I want to be more confident in my skin when I talk to my committee members about my dissertation. I want to emit confidence and show my committee and others that I as physically fit as I am mentally fit.

• Like 4

- — Thister — -

Level 3, Cylon (Humanoid IntelliScout/Ranger)

STR 6 | DEX  7 | STA 7 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 4

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (Checking in most days, weekly updates)

"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." â€• Ludwig Wittgenstein

Hello Thister!

I’m Hazard, a Guild Leader for the Assassins.  I see in your signature that you're an aspiring Assassin, We'd love to help you reach your goals!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, I'll happily assist you.  An easy way to get my attention is to use the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody uses that button to quote me in their reply. :)  You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic, or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top of the screen).

Here is a link to more information about the Assassin Guild.  And here is a link to the Assassin Phonebook with a list of various exercises/skills that guild members are working on for this challenge, as well as links to their challenge topics.  There are numerous other people in the Assassin’s guild who you can also get help from.  I recommend stopping by the Assassin's Den – a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introducing yourself. 

In any case, the Assassin Ambassadors and I will stop by here from time to time to check in and see how you're doing.   Best of luck!

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Hello Hazard!

Thanks for the information! I'm excited to start this challenge and to eventually become an Assassin. Running is in my blood, but I want to challenge myself to go beyond that. 

I'll read these materials and check out the Assassin's Den.

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." â€• Ludwig Wittgenstein

Hi Thister!

It looks like you are headed in the right direction! I'm sure that you will do well with the Assassins after this 6 weeks.  Do go and familiarize yourself with them during this challenge!

I have created an accountabilibuddy group for level 1s to support each other for the next 6 weeks.  If you are interested in Storming the Castle - please come join me!

I’ll be following your thread here as well so Let’s do this!

• Like 1

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Hi Thister, great to meet you! Best of luck with your goals! I always found the exercise while studying thing to be tricky, on the one hand you do have more flexibility, but on the other it's so easy to get caught up in your work and prioritise that over everything else. Good on you for making time for the physical parts of life!

• Like 1

LEVEL 0 GOBLIN PRINCESS

Rebel

Current challenge: Down the Rabbit Hole ... Alaia Gets Started

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast" - Lewis Carroll

Good to meet you, Thister!  I hope to find the same sort of balance you are trying to achieve in this challenge.  Seems like you have a solid plan!  Good luck!

• Like 2

Level 2 Half-Elf Ranger

STR - 2 | DEX - 3 | STA - 4 | CON - 7 | WIS - 5.5 | CHA - 0

Current Challenge

#1, #2TWburn (MFP), FitForMyTwins

Weight Loss Meter : Starting 184.7 lbs, Goal: 140

13.65%
13.65%

"Imagine with all your mind.  Believe with all your heart.  Achieve with all your might."

Hey Thister!

Best of luck on your goals and the idea of having a strong mind and body is always a great motivation.  I'm actually trying to get into a masters program and later PhD in Botany.  If you don't mind me asking what is your dissertation on?

Scarlet Legend  lvl: 1

Psalms 18:32-36

Race: Hobbit /// Class: Assassin

| STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA  1 | CON  6 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

Battle Log  ~~~  Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4

Main Quest:  Lose 30 Lbs.

10%
10%

Start: 172  Current: 169

Challenge #4

50%
50%

Hey Thister!

Best of luck on your goals and the idea of having a strong mind and body is always a great motivation.  I'm actually trying to get into a masters program and later PhD in Botany.  If you don't mind me asking what is your dissertation on?

• Like 1

10%
10%

Challenge #4

50%
50%

Greetings everyone, and thanks for the good cheer!

To make this process efficient, easy to follow, and clearer, I created a GoogleDoc for my workouts (Sheet 1) and Meal Plans/Logs (Sheet 2). I've decided to color code when workouts are completed and to what degree they were successfully completed. I will update this daily. Here's the short link: http://bit.ly/1zoabzd 

I'll put it in my signature to make it easier to access and follow. I plan to update my Battle Log here on this thread each Saturday by posting a single post that documents, in brief, the day-to-day workouts and overall successes and continual challenges I am having. This way everyone can quickly read it and see what's going on. I'll also update the progress bars on Saturday too in these posts. (I may eventually just start a blog, but not until after this challenge.)

I started off strong today, completing the beginning body workout in full this morning. I also meditated this afternoon using the "Guided Meditations" album and 15 minute track through Spotify. I feel great and I'm ready for tomorrow!

• Like 3

- — Thister — -

Hey Thister!

Hey! Thanks for stopping by!

My dissertation is on cyberbullying and police intervention through social media. I'm particularly interested in how privacy is negotiated with newer surveillance practices (by authority figures and by groups of people and by individuals) and the growing divide between these practices and the law. My dissertation explores three case studies related so social media, cyberbullying, and police power: Oscar Grant Jr., Rehtaeh Parsons, and Nikki Catsouras. Unfortunately all of these individuals are deceased due to either police violence, misconduct, or cyberbullying. Using these case studies, laws, and shifting historical practices, definitions, and context-specific practices of privacy, I am ultimately trying to articulate how we live in a surveillance state that relies on transparency from its citizens  to codify the individual, make projections about her or him, and, in most instances, curtail, discipline, and control their behaviors and actions.

Heavy stuff, eh? I'm in a Communication Studies program with a New Media and Technology emphasis, hence the focus of my diss.

What are you doing in Botany? Did you read Harry Potter and decide you wanted to be a Herbologist?  :witless:

• Like 2

- — Thister — -

Hey! Thanks for stopping by!

My dissertation is on cyberbullying and police intervention through social media. I'm particularly interested in how privacy is negotiated with newer surveillance practices (by authority figures and by groups of people and by individuals) and the growing divide between these practices and the law. My dissertation explores three case studies related so social media, cyberbullying, and police power: Oscar Grant Jr., Rehtaeh Parsons, and Nikki Catsouras. Unfortunately all of these individuals are deceased due to either police violence, misconduct, or cyberbullying. Using these case studies, laws, and shifting historical practices, definitions, and context-specific practices of privacy, I am ultimately trying to articulate how we live in a surveillance state that relies on transparency from its citizens  to codify the individual, make projections about her or him, and, in most instances, curtail, discipline, and control their behaviors and actions.

Heavy stuff, eh? I'm in a Communication Studies program with a New Media and Technology emphasis, hence the focus of my diss.

What are you doing in Botany? Did you read Harry Potter and decide you wanted to be a Herbologist?  :witless:

I would expect nothing less from someone doing a dissertation on a subject.  It seems very intricate and full of discussion to compare and contrast the different cases.  I think the controversy between privacy and security is very interesting to think about as well.

I did read Harry Potter but I am not a Hufflepuff.

I got into Botany during my undergrad.  I took the class and I really liked the intricacy and usefulness that only plants can do.  I liked it so much I was the TA for the class for 3 semesters.  I also like gardening and environmental awareness stuff.  One of my dreams is to travel to the rain forest and discover a rare orchid or something like that; kind of like Indiana Jones but Botany style.

• Like 2

10%
10%

Challenge #4

50%
50%

Very cool, Scarlet Legend! I had you pegged as more of a Ravenclaw.

I'm into environmental awareness too. I took a few classes in my undergrad, but then I wen the way of crazy communication since I was a debater and I liked reading about technology. I think it is great that you are doing that! Good luck with the Master's. Grad school can be so crazy and hectic, but Master's programs aren't so bad. PhD programs are insanely intense and often unnecessarily brutal (lots of egos to please).

Let's rock this week and join the Assassin's guild officially when these six weeks are done. I really want to get into parkour after this first six week challenge!

• Like 2

- — Thister — -

Hello Hazard!

Thanks for the information! I'm excited to start this challenge and to eventually become an Assassin. Running is in my blood, but I want to challenge myself to go beyond that. 

I'll read these materials and check out the Assassin's Den.

This is good.  To take a castle with so few, assassin skills become quite valuable.  I'll be glad to have another as a part of the company.

• Like 3

Race: Dark Elf Cyborg

Specialties: Parkour, Archery, Stealth, and Bladecraft

Level: 0 

Challenge: 1st Challenge (July 28 - Sept. 6)

Quote: "We can rebuild him.  We have the technology..."

I was reading about your dissertation and I kept looking over at your profile pic and thinking "he looks like such a nice young man...."

LOL.

My husband used to have his CISSP(I think that's it - security certification) for computers...and I was in communication in the Navy - and it's quite the different environment now from 1978, teletypes for communication!  At least I was up from the morse code level, though, it was still very much in use...as well as the flags - but that just makes sense.

OK - so, obviously, you can ascertain the security issues at the castle gate!  AWESOME!

• Like 2

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Hi Thister! My name is Kailer and I am an Ambassador. That means I am here to help you make the most of your first Six Week Challenge! Welcome to NerdFitness – great new users like you are what keeps this place going strong :)

If you have any questions at all I am here to help you. One question you’ll ponder during your first six weeks is which guild to choose next time. Myself, I’m a proud Scout! That’s part of why I stopped by your thread – you’re interested in endurance sports, just like us. If you ever need help, answers, or high-fives from other people interested in cardio sports, come by our Tavern! The link is in my signature.  Of course, no matter which guild to which you are drawn I’ll be here to help you!

Let me know if I can do anything to help. If you feel discouraged or confused at any point during this Challenge I suggest you get in touch with myself or another Ambassador (regardless of guild!) before throwing in the towel. You have made a great choice coming to NF and we are here to help you succeed!

• Like 1

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Hey Kailer,

Thanks so much for the heads up and 411. I'll look into the Scouts Tavern today.

My internet connection was down for a whole day; a clearing crew nicked the wires and there wasn't anything I could do about fixing it myself. 

- — Thister — -

I was reading about your dissertation and I kept looking over at your profile pic and thinking "he looks like such a nice young man...."

LOL.

My husband used to have his CISSP(I think that's it - security certification) for computers...and I was in communication in the Navy - and it's quite the different environment now from 1978, teletypes for communication!  At least I was up from the morse code level, though, it was still very much in use...as well as the flags - but that just makes sense.

OK - so, obviously, you can ascertain the security issues at the castle gate!  AWESOME!

I totally get that lingo! I used to have CCNA certification before I went hardcore COMM STUDIES. In fact, I may renew my certification if I can access the study materials again later this academic year. It never hurts to have the certification to get into working with network security.

So, yeah, I can figure out the deetz for stroming the castle! 

Vizzini: Finish him. Finish him, your way. 

Fezzik: Oh good, my way. Thank you Vizzini… what’s my way? 

Vizzini: Pick up one of those rocks, get behind a boulder, in a few minutes the man in black will come running around the bend, the minute his head is in view, hit it with the rock. 

Fezzik: My way’s not very sportsman-like.

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

ALRIGHT! Back online!

System malfunction yesterday. The internet was down, but my motivation for doing workouts was not. I ran my intervals successfully, did 30 minutes of yoga, and journaled because I couldn't do much else at home (tsk, tsk, this connected life). 

I did the BBW today, too. 3 rotations! It felt much better today, easier and more fluid. I enjoy how my body feels after it.

Anyway, I'm back online and I am ready to rock on!

• Like 2

- — Thister — -

Just posting this here for my records:

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable? Yes, it is. I decided to do a goal that I believe is achievable and reasonable for a six week period. I'm not trying to do anything major because this is my first challenge; I gradually want to achieve bigger goals (like losing those damn love handles), but gradually going paleo, eating more, trimming my waist, and getting toned come before that.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on? Yes, they do. I think two of the three are closely related to my main goal (i.e. Quest 1 and Quest 3). Quest 2 is tangential to this, but I am supplementing it with yoga three times a week. I believe it works well with meditation because, to me, yoga is a form of meditation.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?I think my main goal is realistic and that the small quests are the smaller steps. I designed a schedule (my battle log in my signature) to make it flexible. Each day has a set workout to build consistency, but there is no set time for the workout. I simply must make time for it either in the morning, afternoon, or evening as I see fit.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them? Yes, I am using my Battle Log and weekly journals to track everything. If needed, I can supply my Lose It account information too.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€? For running and meditation, I am assessing them by time and completeness. If I fill the full 30/15 minutes, then it is complete. I will do this for each 2 and 3 times a week, respectively for running and meditation. For the beginning body workout, I am assessing it by three complete rotations per each workout and three times a week.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured? Reframe, reassess, and scale back. If I am injured I will reduce the intensity of my running, or knock out a rotation on the beginning body workout, or cut out a specific exercise (like lunges and squats if my knees are hurting). There is no reason to get too intense to quickly and I know my body well enough to know my limits with most things. Running in HS taught me my limits with endurance and stamina. I've got weak t-rex arms, so I can't go beyond 5-10 pounds with weights until I build up my arm strength. I am in no hurry.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those? Well... fortunately I don't have much to worry about during this challenge. The real trick will be making my own means on the weekends once I move in with my parental units (yeah, PhD life...frak me...but "free"/conditional rent), freezing the meals, and trying not to insult my folks when I do not eat whatever they are having. The main consideration I'm keeping in mind is that I can stick to paleo meals for the majority of the week or month and, once a month, have pizza and beer with my cylon comrades, or Mexican with my parental units, or a slice of cake with my cylon siblings. I'm hoping that I can also get them to eat some of my meals if I cook them fresh and even when I do make my own meals, I hope to eat with my cylon counterparts.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another? No. I think they are clearly delineated and support the main quest. The life quest is its own beast and is unrelated to the physical labor as long as I keep it in check in my schedule too. The only conflict is my move, but I'm planning to take care of that by bringing my yoga mat, running gear, and tablet device with me when I travel. I have no excuse to miss a workout, really.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them? Yes. My schedule is flexible as a scholar. I am teaching an online class that gives me freedom to move my schedule around as I need it, so, again, I have no excuse to not follow my schedule. The only way I can miss it is if I am either being lazy or incredibly hard on myself for missing a workout or a deadline on my dissertation, and I refuse to go that route.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest? I think I'm trying to build a foundation of multiple habits that will eventually become routine behaviors. They feed into the main quest, sure, but they are really meant to go beyond that so that I can become more fit, happier in my skin, and sexier nakkid. Yeah.   :D But seriously, I've always wanted to have a more toned body, and I know you have to work at it over time, and I have the time and I am prepared to devote the necessary energy to it and I have accountabilibuddies to keep me on it. I cannot lose, unless I lose myself.

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

Damn! You already got in your BBWO for the day? Way to rock it!! 

Yup! Did that first thing this morning before the internet peeps showed up. I'm in it to win it!

• Like 2

- — Thister — -

Hey Thister! Love the organisation you're bringing to the challenge, you seem very on top of things! Your diss sounds really interesting. I was also a debater when I was at uni, and got asked recently to speak in a public debate with a moot that's basically privacy vs security. If I decide to say yes perhaps I'll hit you up for some specialised knowledge!

So glad to see you're nailing your training so far, keep up the good work! 

• Like 1

LEVEL 0 GOBLIN PRINCESS

Rebel

Current challenge: Down the Rabbit Hole ... Alaia Gets Started

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast" - Lewis Carroll

Thanks for stopping by, Alaia!

I'm all for organization. Of course, it could be my OCD tendencies too. Hahaha!

Moot court? Debate? You're speaking my language! I did NPDA, IPDA, LD and I had a very brief stint with CEDA (which I do not like). We also did IEs. I'm actually a national champion in Impromptu Speaking and Humorous Interpretation. Yeah, I could probably provide some pointers. Plus, it might help push me to dig into my writing more (my life goal), which I've been neglecting a bit. 

I'm glad to see you are doing well on your challenge and recognizing your limits and adjusting. I am learning to do the same with running intervals. I am one of those crazy people that loves to run wildly, so when I get into a good run my feet and legs move faster than my body might be ready to do. I push myself, which can be good, but I also need to keep it in check to balance out with the BBW. That's what I'm learning.

Keep up the great work. I'll be journaling here on Saturday about this week's progress. 

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines