The Swedish Ninja becomes Mindful

Hi Druids!

A Ninja (in training) is joining your ranks for this challenge.

Short recap: In my previous challenge, we followed Swen, my alter ego, who is attending a camp in the Shadow Mountains. His mentor, BrusLi, has now explained that Swen for the remainder of the summer must leave and explore the world outside camp. Swen has reached the physical requirements for joining the fellowship of the Shadow Ninjas, but now he has to for the next 6 weeks be prepared mentally as well.

In this challenge, I won’t be as thorough as I was in my previous one. For instance, I will meditate daily, but it´s not the end of the world if I miss a session. Looking at the bigger picture is key, and my grading will be based thereafter.

• Mindfulness and awareness (WIS+4): I will be more mindful, more present, more aware of my feelings and thoughts. In plain English, this means:
    • I will meditate daily (Qigong and/or other meditation forms)
    • I will eat mindfully and slowly (no computer, and preferably no reading either)
    • I will be more mindful during my day (no constant checking the iPhone, not turn on the computer at once when I feel bored etc)
    • I will be aware of how blessed I am by writing a gratitude journal daily
    • I will focus on how I feel, instead of how I look. This means no weighing myself or looking in the mirror (body composition). This will be tough….
    • I will take a day of mindfulness every week and some nights. This means, no phone, no computer (unless for writing) and no TV.

egyma2y3.jpg

• Taking part of in the world (CHA+4): I have few friends, and I feel that I´m slipping away from the ones I have (different interest, so it´s not a bad thing). Therefor, I will expand my circle and trying to meet new people (IRL…..).
    • I will meet new people who share my hobbies and values.
    • I will every day make the world a better place. It doesn´t have to be big things, it can be anything from picking up litter, writing a kind compliment in the woot room to doing a random act of kindness in the supermarket. The important thing is that I do something and that I do it daily to get the habit going.

6e3a9epa.jpg

• Food and fitness (STR+2, STA+2): This is mainly not a fitness challenge, but I still want to stay in shape, so……
    • I will track and plan my food intake so as to be sure that I eat enough but don´t binge (>1500 kcal in one meal)
    • I will work out / climb 7 times a week
    • I hate the rowing machine (ok, maybe don´t hate it, but it just so fricking exhausting J), but since my knee injury won´t let me run, and this is supposed to be a challenge…..I will row once a week (assuming my knees are holding up), starting with 2 K, then gradually going up (goal will be somewhere around 5-7 K). The longest I´ve ever rowed so far is 1 K so I have no idea how my body will react.a3e3ajer.jpg

Life goal (WIS+3):

I will write my personal manifesto. The hope is that this declaration will help me focus on what I deem most important in my life, and provide me with guidelines when making decisions.

Motivation:

“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.â€

This pretty much says it all. I want to live my life to the fullest, and I do this by staying fit, by eating food that gives me energy, by being a “good†human, by not wasting my life in the couch watching crappy B-movies on Netflix.

Psyched to be here, and hope to meet some new friend in this guild!

Ohh, PS, If you don´t like people who ponder and submit their random thoughts, you probably should´t follow this thread…..:)

• Like 5

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

All that tree walking led you into the druid forest, I see,

Great lookin' challenge!  I've sub'd and am looking forward to following.  Now for some thoughts.

Mindful eating is hard.  I did that last challenge and I made it almost a habit but still I get a little screwed up.  It's so hard because stuff like checking one's iPhone is so ingrained.  I'll say "best of luck," but I know you'll succeed.

Writing your personal manifesto is awesome.  I have not succeeded in writing one myself, they never turn out the way I want. I don't know who or what might have influenced your decision to write your manifesto, but I have read that it is a very important thing to do.  Both Brett McKay over at the ArtofManliness.com, who wrote a whole article on it; and Mark Devine, author of The Way of the SEAL and The Unbeatable Mind, encourage it.  If you're not familiar with their writing, and you're looking for more inspiration, I recommend checking out their stuff.  I haven't read The Unbeatable Mind, but in The Way of the SEAL he writes a lot of good stuff about knowing your values as well as meditation, mindfulness, goal setting, and visualisation. 

• Like 2

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]

Huzzah!

Absolutely love this challenge, Ninja.

Please share - I am looking forward to learning from you as you walk this path with the Druids.

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

I had a feeling that you would be doing a challenge with the druids sooner or later =) and an awesome challenge it is!

I will chip in with the hatter and offer help on goal number 2! You might one to try a day of bouldering and/or rope climbing in Västerås sometime in late August/September?

• Like 1

Lincarte - Level 3 - Dwarf Warrior 

Str: 7 | Dex: 1 | Sta: 3 | Con: 6 | Wis: 3 | Cha: 5

Squat - 120(~265 lb.) | Bench - 95(~209lb.) | Deadlift - 190(~419 lb.) | Total: 405(~893 lb.)

PvP:The 800 club - Daily Battle Log - #3, #2, #1

I will every day make the world a better place. It doesn´t have to be big things, it can be anything from picking up litter, writing a kind compliment in the woot room to doing a random act of kindness in the supermarket. The important thing is that I do something and that I do it daily to get the habit going.

I love, love, love this!

Overall I have the feeling you could easily distribute those quests onto three separate challenges, else it could be easy to get overwhelmed?

Anyway, I wish you a nice challenge :)

• Like 1

Level 2 | Human | Druid

beeing prepared for... stuff

[ STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 1 | CON: 5 | WIS: 11 | CHA: 1 ]

Current: Challenge 2: Clean Home & Clean Mind

Challenge 1: Nutrition

So you left us for the druids.... Tut tut, don't know what to say about that. I guess I forgive you this time because you have some really great goals. And lucky for you there's a fellow rebel in Stockholm who will happily help out with your second goal. ;)

Don´t worry, I will come back some day, I´m just an assassin spying on the druids right now. (Writing in text only druids can see: No worries folks, I´m a druid who is spying on assassins). Hmm, I think i might have put myself between a rock and a hard place, will be banned by both guild…..:)

YES, we have to meet!! Stay in touch, we shall.

Mindful eating is hard.  I did that last challenge and I made it almost a habit but still I get a little screwed up.  It's so hard because stuff like checking one's iPhone is so ingrained.  I'll say "best of luck," but I know you'll succeed.

Writing your personal manifesto is awesome.  I have not succeeded in writing one myself, they never turn out the way I want. I don't know who or what might have influenced your decision to write your manifesto, but I have read that it is a very important thing to do.  Both Brett McKay over at the ArtofManliness.com, who wrote a whole article on it; and Mark Devine, author of The Way of the SEAL and The Unbeatable Mind, encourage it.  If you're not familiar with their writing, and you're looking for more inspiration, I recommend checking out their stuff.  I haven't read The Unbeatable Mind, but in The Way of the SEAL he writes a lot of good stuff about knowing your values as well as meditation, mindfulness, goal setting, and visualisation. 

Same for me. I have eaten mindfully earlier on, but slipped back on my ways. But hoping for more consistency now, lets see how it goes.

Thanks for the tips. Had checked out art of manliness before, but the SEAL was new. Great!

I had a feeling that you would be doing a challenge with the druids sooner or later =) and an awesome challenge it is!

I will chip in with the hatter and offer help on goal number 2! You might one to try a day of bouldering and/or rope climbing in Västerås sometime in late August/September?

Looks like one of my goals is getting easy :). A trip to Västerås in a month or so sounds like a plan!

I love, love, love this!

Overall I have the feeling you could easily distribute those quests onto three separate challenges, else it could be easy to get overwhelmed?

Anyway, I wish you a nice challenge :)

Thanks! The risk for overwhelming is there, but as they say, with great risk comes great reward :)

Well, hello there Swedish Ninja!  Welcome to the Druids!  I read some of the most profound things in your challenge just now, so I shall address them:

5. I will focus on how I feel, instead of how I look. This means no weighing myself or looking in the mirror (body composition). This will be tough….

I really like this.  I shall adopt this line of thinking.  Sometimes I wake up feeling awesome, but then something about the way I look bothers me and it sometimes ruins my whole day and that's just not okay.  

"Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become."

This pretty much says it all. I want to live my life to the fullest, and I do this by staying fit, by eating food that gives me energy, by being a “good” human, by not wasting my life in the couch watching crappy B-movies on Netflix.

That quote just blew my mind.  It's one I won't be forgetting soon.  Thank you for sharing.

I hope to be one of your many new friends!   :)

Ohh, PS, If you don´t like people who ponder and submit their random thoughts, you probably should´t follow this thread….. :)

I love random thoughts.  Please share them all!  

Best of luck to you for these next six weeks.  I'll be right here to cheer you along.

• Like 2
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Good strong challenge ahead of you, I especially love #5. Being in the military I have to constantly worry about how I look, what I weigh just to keep my job.  I hate it. I've gotten to the point where I actually don't feel very good about myself everytime I have to get measured. So it is something I am working on as well. I wish you the best in this challenge and will be looking forward to cheering you on!

• Like 1

People always say, "When the time is right..." or "I'm waiting for the perfect..." Guess what the right time never comes along, the perfect moment, guy, gal or opportunity will never drop into your lap. Don't wait, start now. Do what is necessary, then what's possible... and suddenly you're doing the impossible.

Wayward Son

Level 1 Barbarian Shaman

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

Wayward Son on Facebook | Wayward Son on Fitbit

Weight Loss : Current weight (240lbs) Goal weight (185lbs)

0%
0%

Current WIP: Amidst Broken Hearts Current Word Count (16,353) Goal Word Count (75,000)

22%
22%

You've quite a lot underpoints in each quest, can you do that?

The quote about the hell just blew my mind....

• Like 1

Katastrophenkatzchen - Progress, not Perfection!

Race: Troll | Class : one ambitious  Druid-kitty

Level: 2 | STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: 0,5, 1, 2 , Babysteps

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

No alcohol (12/42) 26/9/14

28%
28%

Start: 194 lbs, Final Goal: 154 lbs, Next Goal: 190 lbs / Current: 194.9 lbs (15. Sept. 2014)

-1%
-1%

You've quite a lot underpoints in each quest, can you do that?

The quote about the hell just blew my mind....

Yeah, I know it seems a lot, but it´s just the way a work, all or nothing :). But I have taken the precaution that I won´t measure everything in so much detail, which I hope will make it easier looking at the bigger picture.

The "hell-quote" is truly a great source for inspiration and I´m glad you like it.

Well, hello there Swedish Ninja!  Welcome to the Druids!  I ead some of the most profound things in your challenge just now, so I shall address them:

5. I will focus on how I feel, instead of how I look. This means no weighing myself or looking in the mirror (body composition). This will be tough….

I really like this.  I shall adopt this line of thinking.  Sometimes I wake up feeling awesome, but then something about the way I look bothers me and it sometimes ruins my whole day and that's just not okay.  

"Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become."

This pretty much says it all. I want to live my life to the fullest, and I do this by staying fit, by eating food that gives me energy, by being a “good†human, by not wasting my life in the couch watching crappy B-movies on Netflix.

That quote just blew my mind.  It's one I won't be forgetting soon.  Thank you for sharing.

I hope to be one of your many new friends!   :)

Ohh, PS, If you don´t like people who ponder and submit their random thoughts, you probably should´t follow this thread….. :)

I love random thoughts.  Please share them all!  

Best of luck to you for these next six weeks.  I'll be right here to cheer you along.

Thanks! And I´ll be sure to post my random thoughts, you can count on it :)

Good strong challenge ahead of you, I especially love #5. Being in the military I have to constantly worry about how I look, what I weigh just to keep my job.  I hate it. I've gotten to the point where I actually don't feel very good about myself everytime I have to get measured. So it is something I am working on as well. I wish you the best in this challenge and will be looking forward to cheering you on!

Thanks! I can get that you have to worry about appearance (and "function") whilst in the military. The good thing is that you have a motivation to stay in shape, but I find that motivation works best when used as a carrot rather than a stick.

Thanks to all of you who decide to follow, I can already tell there are some awesome people here in this guild!

• Like 4

I will be more mindful during my day (no constant checking the iPhone, not turn on the computer at once when I feel bored etc)

I hate the rowing machine (ok, maybe don´t hate it, but it just so fricking exhausting J), but since my knee injury won´t let me run, and this is supposed to be a challenge…..I will row once a week (assuming my knees are holding up), starting with 2 K, then gradually going up (goal will be somewhere around 5-7 K). The longest I´ve ever rowed so far is 1 K so I have no idea how my body will react.

I'm not sure about ditching us for the druids, but really, your challenge seems to fit well here.  :)  All of your goals are great!

I've been trying to work through the constant checking of the iPhone, too, for the last few challenges.  It is tough, because there are so many small intervals of time in the day, and we've been pretty thoroughly conditioned to need to fill those times, rather than just sit, take a few breaths, enjoy nature, think, meditate, or whatever.  I haven't had as much luck with "stop playing on your phone" goals, but I've done much better when I have a positive action to fill the time, like "meditate for 5 minutes", "do some quick stretching", "declutter the house a bit" or whatever.

For the rowing, I hope it works out with your knee.  If you find that your knee is still acting up and the whole thing is too painful, you should hit the stationary bike instead.  Cycling seems to be a major part of every knee PT program out there.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I had to make a habit of leaving my phone in my backpack or in the car or at home in order to break my always-on habit.

It's supposed to be there for when I need to make a call. Period. And so I allowed myself to check for texts and calls before work, at lunchtime and after work only. It was hell for a bit. But now I'm so much happier with how I spend my time.

• Like 3

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

YES YES YES!!!

THE SWEDES ARE TAKING OVER THE DRUIDS!!

And now in normal writing that Druids can read: very welcome here Swedish Ninja. I think your goals (albeit ambitious) are perfect for a Druid challenge and am also very inspired by the quote about Hell.

What methods do you have in mind to make sure of succeeding in for instance not taking up your phone (hiding it in the bag like Heidi or something else?)

I think that Spezzy had a similar thing of mindfulness days when she stayed here recently (challenge before last I think) and she was very pleased with the result.

Namaste

• Like 1

I have chosen to believe in myself.

YES YES YES!!!

THE SWEDES ARE TAKING OVER THE DRUIDS!!

And now in normal writing that Druids can read: very welcome here Swedish Ninja. I think your goals (albeit ambitious) are perfect for a Druid challenge and am also very inspired by the quote about Hell.

What methods do you have in mind to make sure of succeeding in for instance not taking up your phone (hiding it in the bag like Heidi or something else?)

I think that Spezzy had a similar thing of mindfulness days when she stayed here recently (challenge before last I think) and she was very pleased with the result.

Namaste

Haha, yes, the Swedes are coming!! (Doesn't sound that terrifying though…:) )

I don't actually have a structured plan just yet, but I think I´ll just bring the phone with me less often. 

I actually have an app that measures how much I use it, so I think I´ll start using it. The downside with the app is that it really eats my battery, but I think it can be a point using it for the first weeks.

Haha no it really doesn't sound that terrifying. Especially considering there's 3 of us. :tongue:

Perhaps, but consider the trio of Harry, Ron and Hermione, they beat Voldemort and practically saved the world together. Maybe 3 is enough…… :P

Soon time for bed, super psyched for the challenge to begin! 

• Like 2

Perhaps, but consider the trio of Harry, Ron and Hermione, they beat Voldemort and practically saved the world together. Maybe 3 is enough…… :tongue:

Soon time for bed, super psyched for the challenge to begin! 

Three is plenty!  :mushroom:

• Like 1

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Three is plenty! :mushroom:

And then there were three.

Just saying.

• Like 1

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

And that's how the Druids became purveyors of cheese, meatballs, and clever furniture.

• Like 3

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]

I like the new direction--not so workout-focused but no less epic! You've put a lot on your plate, but I think you have the mindset to handle it. Good luck, looking forward to following along again! :)

• Like 1

Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha.

Member of CNF: TOS

Good luck on your challenge, Ninja.  Taking part in the world is a good way to find what you want out of it.  

And because I can:

tumblr_lpzmvaXyzj1qa3j66o1_500.gif

• Like 5

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines