[sharong] DefADwarf's quest to LGN

Short?  Check.  Muscular?  Check.  Grumpy?  You betcha.  Yep, I'm def a Warrior Dwarf.  And, I'm on a quest to Look Good Naked!  Naked Dwarf?  Hells yeah!  Why not?  I quest to become the short, muscular, sassy person I was in my early 20s, though with the wisdom, "natural hair highlights" and contour lines on my face that I have acquired in my mid-40s.

I calculated the number of calories I consumed in excess that allowed me to go from a healthy, muscular 130 lb army soldier to the rather plump, our of shape desk jockey that I am at 185, and that amounts to roughly 50 calories PER DAY in excess.  That's all it takes, folks, to develop the dreaded middle-age spread. 

Now that I'm quickly approaching 45, it's about time that I stop the "creep" and reverse literally decades of slow, insidious weight gain.  I don't mind the wrinkles and encroaching gray hair - heck, I earned them all.  I do mind growing old, fat, and frail.  I want my next 45 years (and more!), to be full of vitality, health, and overflowing bad-assery.  Here's how I intend to achieve that:

Main Quest:

LGN, Baby!  No numbers, no scales, no measurements (ok, maybe a few measurements.  I am a nerd, and I have to quantify things...). 

Mission 1:

Work up to the beginner bodyweight workout 3 times a week.  I am already performing the BBW at half the reps twice a week.  Within the first three weeks, I hope to be able to perform the entire workout twice a week, adding an additional workout day in the second three weeks. By the end of the challenge, I hope to perform at least one full push up instead of inclines or knee push ups.  

Mission 2:

Walk between one and 1.5 miles per day, 5 days per week.  I already walk almost a mile every weekday at work, and usually half a mile in the evenings with the hub and dogs, but I want to consciously solidify this habit into one that sticks.  The dogs will appreciate it as well as my heart.  From the person who sat at her desk literally 9-10 hours per day, only getting up for bio-breaks, it is very hard to carve out that sort of time for myself.  I'm starting to dig it.    The real challenge lies in November, when here in the Pacific NW, someone turns the water on and doesn't turn it off till late June.  With the right rain gear and an ingrained habit, I will continue walking when it gets dark and wet around here. 

Mission 3:

Eat paleo/low-carb 6 days per week.  I've been working up to this for a while, so it seems like it is a punk goal.  However, I am a willing participant of the dreaded creep - sneaking in one or two fast food meals per week when I'm "too busy" to cook, having a sweet at work here and there, mixing in a little splash of regular Coke into my glass of diet coke a little more often than I should, just to make it "taste better," and indulging in 'just one more square' of dark chocolate than my daily allotment of two, or eating crap commercial candy bars instead of high quality dark that is my indulgence.  Again, solidifying a habit that I have been toying around with for a few months.  

There will be a cheat day every week.  I know myself well enough that I am not so hardcore as to manage anything 7 days a week religiously.  I have to factor in wiggle room, or I will fail.    

Life Quest:

Throughout the six weeks, working my way through "Drawing with the Right Side of Your Brain," an awesome book that teaches you to draw/see the world through different eyes.  I drew in college and found out I wasn't the worst in the world at it.  In fact, I was pretty good, and I enjoy the space it puts your brain into.  Not quite a trance, but in a zone that allows maximum concentration with a joyful relaxation.  Hard to describe, but you know it when you feel it, and you have a pretty picture at the end of your efforts.  This will be a hard one for me, because I'm not used to carving time out for myself to do solitary activities (same for walking and the BBW - hard to make that time).  Also, my family is not used to me going off and enjoying solitary time.  When I'm in my studio, all creatures in the household eventually drift up there, thus defeating the purpose of having a studio.  

The SMART goal at the end of this endeavor is to have a fully executed landscape or still life picture drawn. Yes, I will post it on my thread at the end of the challenge (Yikes!  Did I really just write that?!)

Motivation:

My mother - or rather, what she has become.  My mother is digging her grave with a fork by making a lifetime of poor food choices, choosing inactivity, and by withdrawing herself from companionship/social interaction.  Sad, but true.  I look just like her (really - you can't tell our elementary school photos apart.), but I don't have to be like her.  My motivation is showing the world/my family what she *could* have looked like, had she taken better care of herself.  Of course, there are decades of "mother issues' going on here that I won't bore you with.  Suffice to say, I hate wasted potential, and I need to be the example.  

Grading

A - Perfect execution of BBW, daily walks, and 6 days/week paleo eating.

B - One missed BBW, one missed walk day, and 5 days paleo eating (life happens. . . )

C - One missed BBW, 2 missed walk days, 2 days of messed up eating

D - One missed BBW, 3 missed walk days, 3 days of messed up eating

F - Anything less than a D's worth of activity and eating right per week.

I'll work out the minuses and plusses of the letter grades per week (there is a large number of permutations of the above criteria, so I'll need that flexibility of + and - to dial in the accuracy of grading.)

Let's do this thing!!!  :redface-new:

Levelling up one girlie push up at a time. .  .

“This is your life and its ending one moment at a time.† - Tyler Durden

First Challenge  - LGN!

STR - 0 | DEX - 0 | STA - 0 | CON - 0 | WIS - 0 | CHA - 0 

Sounds like good, well thought-out goals for you.  Sounds like the life quest is going to be to the toughest one what with all the demands on your time.  Best of luck to you.  

• Like 1

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

Welcome to NF.  I understand using your mum as a motivation.  My mum passed away at 30 - i've already succeeded her in terms of years, but i continuously need to start working on the rest.

You might notice that i added an Adventurers tag to your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a guild (that's your choice at the end of the day) but rather to bring you to the attention of one of their ambassadors.  You have goals that are in line with things that they focus on and they should be able to support, motivate and advise you during your challenge.  You're also welcome to pop into their Tavern and introduce yourself to them. Don't forget you're also welcome to drop me a line anytime too.

Good Luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

You might notice that i added an Adventurers tag to your thread.  This is not to pigeonhole you into a guild (that's your choice at the end of the day) but rather to bring you to the attention of one of their ambassadors.  

Thank you so much.  I had forgotten to add a tag and then tried to go back and add one with no luck.  Perchance, could you add a Warriors tag for me?   :nevreness:

First Challenge  - LGN!

Pork in the crock pot.  Beef will be browned later.  Chicken already done. . . getting ready for a week's worth of paleo meals.  Already did some dry runs on the NF body weight workout (ouch!), as that is my major fitness goal of the challenge.  I'm ready!  RAWR. . . 

First Challenge  - LGN!

Hey Sharong, I’m RogueWelkin Ambassador for the Adventurer’s.

Looks like you have a pretty good challenge set up here. I see that you're interested in becoming a warrior. You could try heading over to their general chat and see what their folk have to say. Although if your strength exercise focus is going to be with bodyweight, you might want to check out the Assassins as well.

The Adventurers focus on diet, weight loss, and trying out different types of exercises instead of focusing on specific ones.

If you’re interested in finding more tips, stories, and motivation from Adventurers that have similar goals to yours head on over to the Adventurer’s Tavern where you’ll find people always willing to chat. If you’d like to talk to me you can either check out my current challenge or pm me on the board. If you have any questions on how to use the forums, check out this tutorial. I’ll be following your topic here as well so you’ll probably see me again anyway. I’ve also created an accountabilibuddy group just for Level 1’s called Rogue Squadron Recruits. Feel free to check it out if you want to get and provide support with other Level 1’s.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Race:Gamorrean | Class: Adventurer10

{STR:27.5||DEX:3||STA:27||CON:52.50||WIS:35.5||CHA:16.5}

Inventory: Belt of Dietary Willpower

Accountibilibuddies:Rogue Squadron

Challenges --> 1-->2-->3-->4-->5-->6-->7--> 8-->9-->Challenge 10(Current)

Logs: | Fitocracy | Measurements | My Fitness Pal

Reach 180 lbs from 225 lbs (currently 225 lbs)

4.44%
4.44%

Why am I so flippin schweddy after a 1 mile walk?  And why is there melted chocolate on my boob?  WTH?!  :onthego:

Happy Challenge Day 1, Y'All!!!

First Challenge  - LGN!

Sweat is all about your body being hot, not necessarily about exertion (it's a myth that you're not working out if you're not sweating, you can get a great workout without breaking a sweat as long as it's cool). So if it's a hot day chances are that's what's causing the sweat, unless of course you're pushing yourself....the melted chocolate though...that one's a mystery, chocolate ninjas maybe?

• Like 1

Race:Gamorrean | Class: Adventurer10

{STR:27.5||DEX:3||STA:27||CON:52.50||WIS:35.5||CHA:16.5}

Inventory: Belt of Dietary Willpower

Accountibilibuddies:Rogue Squadron

Challenges --> 1-->2-->3-->4-->5-->6-->7--> 8-->9-->Challenge 10(Current)

Logs: | Fitocracy | Measurements | My Fitness Pal

Reach 180 lbs from 225 lbs (currently 225 lbs)

4.44%
4.44%

Hello a fellow Level 1 Rebel Potential! The book you're reading sounds really cool. I can kind of relate to what you mentioned about everyone going into your studio, thereby deafeating the purpose - when I unroll my yoga mat at home every living thing in the house decides to crawl on top of it. Haha.

I look forward to seeing your progress! :tickled_pink: 

• Like 1

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Sweat is all about your body being hot, not necessarily about exertion (it's a myth that you're not working out if you're not sweating, you can get a great workout without breaking a sweat as long as it's cool). So if it's a hot day chances are that's what's causing the sweat, unless of course you're pushing yourself...

Indeed, it was an unseasonably warm day here in the Pacific NW, as it has been all summer.  Very warm here, relatively speaking.   :redface-new:

First Challenge  - LGN!

First day rocked my socks off.  Great day, despite only having 6 hours of sleep.  I find that lack of sleep has a great deal to do with the choices I make during the day, so it's an early night for me.  Tomorrow is BBWW day for me.  Woot!

Test: 

http://laughingsquid.com/three-banded-armadillo-rolls-around-on-the-floor-with-his-favorite-pink-toy/

Ok, how do I get nifty text into the space the hyperlink usually occupies?

First Challenge  - LGN!

First day rocked my socks off.  Great day, despite only having 6 hours of sleep.  I find that lack of sleep has a great deal to do with the choices I make during the day, so it's an early night for me.  Tomorrow is BBWW day for me.  Woot!

Test: 

http://laughingsquid.com/three-banded-armadillo-rolls-around-on-the-floor-with-his-favorite-pink-toy/

First Challenge  - LGN!

Test: 

First Challenge  - LGN!

Test: 

First Challenge  - LGN!

Test: 

Write the text, select the word you want the link to go on, then hit the link button in the bar - it looks like a chain link with a green plus sign. :)

• Like 1

Level 1 Half Elf Warrior

STR 2 | STA 3 | DEX 1 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 0

Challenges: [1]  [2]  [3]

Current Challenge  

Because who doesn't want to be a laser magician?

Great, a 4-fer. . . 

First Challenge  - LGN!

Test:

I didn't know that armadillos like to play.  Back home, they're just speed bumps.  

• Like 1

First Challenge  - LGN!

Another Pacific NW'er. We can encourage each other through the dark months. And the hot, I'm a total weather wimp. It's 80 degrees, I'm just so hooott...that was me today. Until I slapped myself and said to stop whining it was sunny ;) 

Great job of precooking your meat.

• Like 2

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I got one look at an armadillo and laughed all my way back north.  Man .... that's one odd beast.

If you like to walk .... think about helping the group get to back from Mordor!! 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Another Pacific NW'er. We can encourage each other through the dark months. And the hot, I'm a total weather wimp. It's 80 degrees, I'm just so hooott...that was me today. Until I slapped myself and said to stop whining it was sunny ;) 

Great job of precooking your meat.

SWEET!   Are you a wet or dry sider?  I know - isn't it ridiculous how we curse the dark then have the nerve to curse the sun as well?

First Challenge  - LGN!

SWEET!   Are you a wet or dry sider?  I know - isn't it ridiculous how we curse the dark then have the nerve to curse the sun as well?

I like it sunny and warm .  But not hot, yesterday it was over 80 and I whined. But decided to enjoy the sun more today.

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines