Merganser Outruns/Swims/Bikes Her First-World Problems

Merganser

My last challenge never got [its dragging feet] off the ground and therefore went nowhere fast (6 weeks really does fly by!), but although I [therefore] didn't "figure out where I (really) want to be and how to get there", I have determined that I (really!) don't want to be 14 pounds heavier than I was 3 months ago  :rolleyes: 

Especially since, in non-metaphysical terms, I did figure out that I want to be in Tuscany in 8 weeks, and how I'm going to get there is via a 15th work anniversary present from my company  

Main Quest

So, the primary goal this challenge is to shed the extra weight -- which is largely (ahem) the result of too many nights of good bread and cheese and wine and craft cocktails consumed while reclining in a lounge chair on my deck (boo-hoo! poor pitiful me!!!) -- and deal with some of my other first-world problems:

Missions

1) Eat

I thought about doing another Whole30 -- since I'm actually pretty good at following strict, simple plans like that -- but since I have no intention of permanently eliminating bread, cheese and cocktails from my diet, that would just defer the inevitable time when I have to learn how to be mindful and moderate -- I'm just going​ to implement some limits that will let me practice being flexible, but are strict enough that my weight-loss goal is not overly jeopardized:

• Food-wise, home is a primal only zone (although I can have wine or cocktails on Saturday nights, on my deck), work is a no-free-food zone (I've recently resumed taking advantage of free Friday lunches and Bagel Tuesdays...), and I can only eat non-primal food when I'm out eating socially (and other people sitting at the bar does not count! when I get slothful and feel "fat", I don't socialize, which is stupid and self-defeating!) (CON 1)
  • Resume tracking food (diligently! consistently! promptly!) in MyFitnessPal (CON 1) 
  • Continue weekly food planning and prep! (This is the one thing I never stopped doing...but the extra bagels and excess cheese, etc. do accumulate!) (WIS 1)

​​2) Exercise

I have 2 triathlons coming up during this challenge, and there are probably a few hills in Tuscany, so I really need to get back on track (so to speak) with my fitness and stop sulking about my aches and pains (since LOTS of rest hasn't made them magically better anyway! :P)

• Bike-commuting (yeah, I've even been slacking about this a bit lately, which is really low! Especially since I maintain not one, but TWO gym memberships, and one of them has a branch near my office, with showers, so hot weather is no excuse!) (STA 1)
  • Kettlebell bootcamp 2 days/week (STR 1)
  • Push-ups, bodyweight squats, one-legged bridges = # of points my fantasy baseball team earned the prior day (STR 1, NERD 10)
  • Swim 2 days/week (STA 1, STR 1)
  • Run 2 days/week (STA 1)
  • Learn how to ride my freakin' road bike with the efficient (and not inexpensive!) pedals and shoes, already (DEX 1)

3) Sleep, Stretch, Reflect

• Pre-bedtime meditation (WIS 1)
  • Resume tracking my spending of my money (WIS 1)
  • Hamstring stretches morning, midday, evening (CON 1)

Life Quest

In a prior challenge, I got rid of stuff, but I left it all to the end/afterwards (i.e. procrastinated)

It's still applicable to the themes of my current challenge -- i.e. shedding stuff -- so I'm going to try removing at least one material possession per day (including -- once my weight is back within a reasonable range -- another closet purge, since I still have more clothes than I can ever remember, which is definitely too many clothes!!!) (WIS 1)

• Like 1

Merganser: Level 4 Anatidae Scout

STR 4 | DEX 5 | STA 5 | CON 7 | WIS 6 | CHA 2

Intro | Current Challenge: Train for Spain!

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

of the family Anatidae on our hands." --Douglas Adams

Very detailed takedown of your problems, I look forward to watching you demolish them.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Just popping my head in to sub, it looks like you have a very well thought out challenge there. With all that going on its good to see you have goals surrounding good fuel and rest :) I like the idea of meditation before bed, sounds like a recipe for a restful nights sleep.

Level: 3 - Wood Elf - Wanderer

STR: 0 | DEX: 5 | STA: 11 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 2

Challenges: 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | Current

"Quit...don't quit...noodles...don't noodles. You are too concerned with what was, and what will be"

- Master Oogway

How goes it?

If I had answered that question on Thursday? Great! Today...eh, this is why it's 6 weeks, and a challenge, right?  :rolleyes: 

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

Week 1 Status Report

My "Eat" missions went as planned through Thursday, and most of Friday: I ate just my planned, virtuous food at home and at work, with no cocktails, etc. (even after a REALLY aggravating work day on Thursday).

But then I had bread and cheese and chocolate (and wine and cocktails) on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, at home, which was not according to plan, and also not recorded in My Fitness Pal. (But was excellent bread and cheese and chocolate!)

So, I'm not feeling much less...puffy today than I did last Monday, but it really wasn't an outrageous amount of food and drink, and I'm feeling pretty re-motivated for week 2: I felt great last Friday morning, and that's how I'd like to feel next Sunday for my triathlon, so I will eat and (not) drink accordingly  :tongue:

All of my breakfasts and lunches for the (work) week are primal and prepped (well, except Friday's lunch, which is planned and purchased for) AND feature new recipes, and my dinners are simple, planned and purchased for, so I'm off to a great start there.

My "Exercise" accomplishments tracked a little closer to my goals:

I bike commuted every day (Monday was a vacation day, so the bike commute was to and from the gym rather than work, but same difference), and unless it was a gym day, I took the long way to and from work, for a round trip of 18-19 miles. It was beautiful biking weather all week, so my morning rides, in particular, were great. (It was warmer in the afternoons, and home is uphill, so the evening rides were grubbier, but that's okay, since showering before supper is also great.)

I also made it to my two kettlebell classes AND kept up with my fantasy baseball point push-ups, squats and single-legged bridges (310; I've been rounding up to the next multiple of 10...which means that today I'll be doing 70 of each, in part because John Lackey isn't struggling much to adjust to his new team, and my relief staff had a couple of saves yesterday  :lol:)

I did NOT get to the pool at ALL, and will try harder this week: mornings were tough last week because of work deadlines, and it's a real struggle for me to motivate myself to go to the pool after work. And on Saturday, I was suffering from post-kettlebell shoulder distress, so I wanted to be cautious. (And felt better on Sunday, thankfully.) (I should log into my bank account and "motivate" myself by reminding myself how much I pay every month for the gym membership I maintain ONLY because it gives me pool access!!!)

did run twice, although not for very long either time: Wednesday was a turn around the reservoir, which was 1.5 miles, and Sunday was my "Magic Mile", which, while short, was actually pretty motivating, since I've never run that fast outside before. Maybe I'll try shorter, intermittent sprints when I run this week. And maybe even in my triathlon next weekend  :tongue: 

But the accomplishment which (I think) dwarfs all of my sins of omission (and commission) is that I FINALLY got both feet attached to my pedals -- at the same time -- on Saturday morning and rode my road bike, on the road, while attached to it. And although I DID start to fall over at a stop sign, I relaxed so I wouldn't hurt myself...and my foot popped out of the pedal anyway and I was able to break my fall.

Of course, that was all before 7 AM Saturday, when there were very few cars or people. 

But on Sunday, I brought the bike to the shop for new tires (because I got ANOTHER flat, and I need tires that are sturdy enough for these roads!) and even though it was noon on Sunday, and there was lots of traffic, I wore my bike shoes, instead of my sneakers!

Honestly, as late as Friday afternoon I was trying to figure out what to do about my triathlon next weekend (since I not only have to ride my bike IN the race, but also TO the race, through the city), and was waffling between getting flat pedals put back on my road bike or riding my commuter bike. I really didn't think I'd be able to do it with the big-kid pedals, but now I know I can. (And will!) 

And I also signed up for a 50-mile Women's Bike Ride the weekend after the triathlon, and I'm psyched that I'll get to practice pedaling during that, as well  :D 

Elsewhere in my challenge, my sleep has been great (well, except for last night, but that's a standard Sunday night thing) I've been tracking my money (yeah, I know exactly how much I spent on excellent cheese!) and I've been doing my hamstring stretches, and feeling better.

I've also been keeping up with my "Life Quest" of random acts of (scheduled) minimization, and getting rid of Stuff, which has been fun and also thought-provoking. (And in some cases, useful! When I cleaned out the bathroom medicine cabinet of hair stuff I haven't used in ages, I found some products that are actually useful again, since I had my hair chopped off a few weeks ago!)

But now, since my anniversary trip was officially booked and paid for last week by work, I should move onto THAT...  :lol: 

• Like 1

My Fitness Pal

Sounds like you had a great first week. Congrats to on levelling up your bike skills with the "big -kid" pedals. I have very little idea about cycling properly but the idea of being attached to the thing while on a road sounds terrifying to me, so well done to you for taking that step, sounds like it will really help with your upcoming tri.

Level: 3 - Wood Elf - Wanderer

STR: 0 | DEX: 5 | STA: 11 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 2

Challenges: 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | Current

"Quit...don't quit...noodles...don't noodles. You are too concerned with what was, and what will be"

- Master Oogway

Sounds like you had a great first week. Congrats to on levelling up your bike skills with the "big -kid" pedals. I have very little idea about cycling properly but the idea of being attached to the thing while on a road sounds terrifying to me, so well done to you for taking that step, sounds like it will really help with your upcoming tri.

Yeah, it was pretty terrifyingly --

But, of course, after worrying all weekend about tipping over while attached to my pedals -- which didn't happen -- I managed to fall over on my *regular* bike on my homeward commute Monday night for the first time since snow and ice season :P

(Dramatic bruise, but no damage done! :))

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

My Fitness Pal

Hi Merganser

I saw your tri tomorrow pop up on my calendar and it reminded me I was out of touch with what you were up to. I'm like you about pedals - they seem scary but they are (I'm told) a great way of using muscles you just can't use in normal riding so in sure they'll help. It sounds like you're doing well in the non-tri-related goals too, which is fab.

Good luck in the tri. I'm sure you'll smash it!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I'm glad you got up there on your road bike! When is your anniversary?

Thanks! It was actually at the end of June. 15 years!!!

My Fitness Pal

Hi Merganser

I saw your tri tomorrow pop up on my calendar and it reminded me I was out of touch with what you were up to. I'm like you about pedals - they seem scary but they are (I'm told) a great way of using muscles you just can't use in normal riding so in sure they'll help. It sounds like you're doing well in the non-tri-related goals too, which is fab.

Good luck in the tri. I'm sure you'll smash it!

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty out of touch with what I'm supposed to be up to  :rolleyes: (Not a fabulous food week!  <_<)

And, thanks for the good luck, I can probably use it!

I'm a little under-the-weather on top of being a little out-of-shape, so I'm treating tomorrow as good practice and motivation for my longer race in 4 weeks (where I'll have an actual audience of members of my family!!!)

And an opportunity for trying out my new triathlon suit (I know, I know -- I should never wear something new for a race, but I finished this race in 1:50 last year even with a flat front tire, so even though I expect I will be slower on the run, it shouldn't take more than 2 hours)

I actually think the most challenging part of the race will be the 7.5 mile ride TO the race at, like, 5 AM (I'll probably try to use my special shoes for that, and I'll definitely use them in the race, but I may chicken out and ride home in my running shoes -- as I learned a couple of weekends ago when someone stole the seat to my regular bike and I had to get somewhere faster than walking, I'm actually pretty good at riding my special pedals with regular sneakers for upwards of miles and miles and miles!)

Okay. I'm feeling more psyched. Woot! Time to dig out my US triathlon membership card!  :tongue: 

My Fitness Pal

Thieving bastids. Did you not try to ride it seatless then? After a few miles your legs are jelly. Hurty , hurty jelly. Anyway, I'm sure you'll do better than you think. Get to bed early and just try to enjoy it.

• Like 1

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Thieving bastids. Did you not try to ride it seatless then? After a few miles your legs are jelly. Hurty , hurty jelly. Anyway, I'm sure you'll do better than you think. Get to bed early and just try to enjoy it.

Okay, glad I did it, but I definitely have some work(ing out) to do to feel more prepared for the next one!

(Which fortunately won't involve a ridiculous bike commute to the race: I failed to follow my mapped route, and managed to take 10 miles to get there...and then found an 11-mile route on the way home :P)

My Fitness Pal

It was a good experience -- my run was "meh", as I had expected, but my swim was tough: I thought (hoped) it would be a little easier than last year, since I wasn't (quite) a novice anymore, but apparently not getting to the pool in, like, a month, is really poor training, and I really, REALLY dislike swimming in (i.e. attempting to breathe in/around) salt water :P

(So, I went to the pool Monday for a quick swim and remembered that, yeah, it DOES take me, like, 200 meters to warm up until I stop saying to myself: "Wow, swimming is hard. Why am I doing this? Am I really planning to do this for [N meters or N minutes]?!" So, for my NEXT race, I'll: a) Do a swim warm-up BEFORE the race, and B) Be really, really grateful that it's in an inland lake! :))

Overall, a good education experience, and really re-motivating (I just had two consecutive good food and exercise days! Yay, me! :P)

(Although I'm sure there are easier ways to build up a barware collection...)

gallery_25678_963_28434.jpg

gallery_25678_963_419183.jpg

• Like 2

My Fitness Pal

Greetings! If you’d like to take home a win in this week’s side challenge I’ve got just the link for you. Click below to meet SilentJay3205, a budding Scout and all around awesome Rebel.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51608-silentjay3205-first-challenge/

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Hey there!

I just stopped by to wish you luck in your tri tomorrow (second tri of the challenge - such badassitude!). I guess you're not around much though - maybe busy with real life or some such thing. Well, I know that feeling. Anyway, if you're reading this - good luck! And if you're not... well, good luck anyway!

Blah. No, I'm injured comprehensively enough that I'm eschewing the race, but I practiced road-biking locally this AM so I can practice road-biking in earnest tomorrow AM :)

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

My Fitness Pal

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines