Sandylion Searches for Sparta

Sandylion

Finally got around to doing measurements. I hate doing them. Especially my neck! It freaks me out. Anyway, we will do it again end of challenge and see what we get.

Waist 32.125

Under-bust 34.125

Left arm 13

Right arm 12.75

Widest hip 47.5

Right thigh 28.375

Left thigh 28.5

Right calf 16.875

Left calf 17.375

Neck 14.5

32" waist and 47" hips. No wonder I can't get jeans that fit right! That right there is ridiculous.

Ok, edited to update today. I went to the gym. In this challenge I'm counting this toward my goal of the work out routine. Here is what I did:

Warm-up: 2300m rowing in 12 min. I needed something easy on my feet; they're upset with me.

Squat:

45x5 warm up

50 lb 5x5 -having major issues here. My shoulders hurt so much from holding the bar! Never mind the weight, it's the bar positioning. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it feels like shoulder contortion.

OHP:

16lb warm up

45 lb 5x5

DL:

95lb 1x5

Holy jelly legs! This was so hard to do. My pride has been kicked in The kidneys. I used to squat 125! DL 165! So much ground to recover. Pissing and moaning doesn't fix it, but I do not like seeing all the backward progress... Time to move forward!

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.â€- Mahatma Gandhi

Dammit dammit dammit I suck!

The first week I was looking all over for you and you hadn't posted up when I was looking.

Then you did, but I forgot to look.

And then I even followed your tall one!   And every time I checked HIS thread, I thought, 'omg where is Sandylion?'

And then something would distract me ... OH SHINY.

And and ... siiiiiigh.   I here now!  I will catch up in the actual reading in a bit, I need to make a list of things I wanna do, so I stop forgetting!

• Like 2

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

The first week I was looking all over for you and you hadn't posted up when I was looking.

And then I even followed your tall one! And every time I checked HIS thread, I thought, 'omg where is Sandylion?'

And and ... siiiiiigh. I here now! I will catch up in the actual reading in a bit, I need to make a list of things I wanna do, so I stop forgetting!

You no suck, you here now

Lovin' Life

Hope you are as well.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

And then I even followed your tall one!   And every time I checked HIS thread, I thought, 'omg where is Sandylion?'

And and ... siiiiiigh.   I here now!  I will catch up in the actual reading in a bit, I need to make a list of things I wanna do, so I stop forgetting!

Starpuck's here!!!!!!11111oneoneoneone

I didn't even notice you were late cause I'm so excited that you're here!!!

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.â€- Mahatma Gandhi

What do you use for shoulder warm up?

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Ummm... I squat an empty bar, do some shoulder circles and a couple shoulder stretches?  of course, squatting an empty bar is not much of a warm up when my work weight is 50lbs.  Advice?

Sooo...  stairs suck.  Shelves suck.  Coughing sucks.  So. Many. Sore. Muscles.  

I was going to go climbing tonight (first time also, in forever) but put it off tomorrow.  I do not want to over-do it and really actually hurt myself.  

I'm a bit proud to be sore, not because "I worked so hard rawr!" but because I actually worked!!  I only squatted 50lbs, but hell, I SQUATTED!!! I am going to keep this going.  

My eating hasn't been great today, but I am under my calorie goals and got some decent protein in. I still tracked too, instead of being all like "Ugh, I ate something bad! I guess I should just give up on today and eat all of the things!"  So that's good.  

I wanted to go for a walk, but my quads are just killing me, and my house is full of cat hair, so I cleaned a bunch instead.  Still worked up a sweat actually, and accomplished something, so I'm proud of that!

G'night nerds!

hello! i figured we're actually in the same boat for this spartan coming up

tumblr_inline_n9jyv0CzHO1ry6k3h.gif

so i thought I'd stop by and see how you were doing!

10 air squats- I feel like I am folding in half doing these and I can't figure out how not to...

I wanted to address this comment that you mentioned a few weeks ago and say that I have the same problem. For me, it has to do with my ankle and calf mobility. Try the test on this page and see if you can touch your knees to the wall (or close). If you can then I would hazard a guess that your "folding" is due to hip area mobility. If you can't... well, welcome to my life. I do goblet squats with a DB now and haven't picked up a barbell for squats since i realized I shouldn't have been folding so much :( Slowly working on correcting it though! slowly...

Looks like you are back at it after vaca time! keep it up!

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

I am glad CM brought up goblet squats. It is a good way to warm up, say 35#, and you can also do them instead of the bar to get yourself organized. Either way using the bar afterwards will feel better. Have you done a form check vid on your squat? There's a thread where you can post it and get feedback on what others see.

Keep squatting!!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

hello! i figured we're actually in the same boat for this spartan coming up

tumblr_inline_n9jyv0CzHO1ry6k3h.gif

so i thought I'd stop by and see how you were doing!

I wanted to address this comment that you mentioned a few weeks ago and say that I have the same problem. For me, it has to do with my ankle and calf mobility. Try the test on this page and see if you can touch your knees to the wall (or close). If you can then I would hazard a guess that your "folding" is due to hip area mobility. If you can't... well, welcome to my life. I do goblet squats with a DB now and haven't picked up a barbell for squats since i realized I shouldn't have been folding so much :( Slowly working on correcting it though! slowly...

Looks like you are back at it after vaca time! keep it up!

So... that was super interesting! I dunno what a goblet squat is yet (will look in to it!) but I did the knee wall test on that page and was really, really surprised! I could NOT get my knee to the wall! My calf felt all tight and my heel came right up about half way :o I figured part of my problem was feet/ankle, but I was blaming my atrociously collapsed arches, not lack of ankle mobility.  Something else to work on!

I am glad CM brought up goblet squats. It is a good way to warm up, say 35#, and you can also do them instead of the bar to get yourself organized. Either way using the bar afterwards will feel better. Have you done a form check vid on your squat? There's a thread where you can post it and get feedback on what others see.

Keep squatting!!

7FG took a video of my second set.  I will do a form check... I did one when I was lifting ages and ages ago, but suffice it to say that was then, this is now! And I will find out what these goblet squats are. *google search commencing*

Thanks for the help, everybody!

• Like 1

There are at least 2 styles of goblet squat. One with the dumb bell by your chest. One with it between your legs.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Ummm... I squat an empty bar, do some shoulder circles and a couple shoulder stretches?  of course, squatting an empty bar is not much of a warm up when my work weight is 50lbs.  Advice?

General things to help with shoulders on squat

1) Try adjusting your grip position in and probably out

2) Put your thumbs on top of the bar..ie, don't grab the bar

3) Concentrate on pushing the bar into your shoulder/back (forward) rather than trying to push up on it (this will save your elbows as well)

For warmup/stretching

1) I usually grab the rack at shoulder height with 1 arm, then pivot as far as I can, basically taking my arm behind my shoulder.  Repeat a couple times for each shoulder. 

2) Windmills as you mentioned

3) A few pushups.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Hey girl!  Heeeey.

Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

• Like 1

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Starpuck, That is the creepiest thing I have ever seen!  And now its watching me every time I look at my thread!!! Is it an alpaca??

Teri! *hug*

I've been a giant stress head.  I am changing positions at work at the end of this week, so I am trying to wrap up a million things, and feeling nervous as heck about going back to my old job.  Doesn't help that me taking my old position back caused a cascade of like 3 other people moving that pissed EVERYBODY off... I felt guilty, but at the same time, it's my spot, they knew I was coming back.  Especially cause all that pissed off ness is falling on my fellow manager, soon to be boss (that's going to be weird as anything), and she's already got her hands full!   There is another big kerfuffle and it's just like a major mess.  I hate it.  Too many changes make me squirrely.

ANyway, for fitness related stuff, I have done F-ALL.  No gym, no yoga, 2 short walks at work.  Eating crap, though staying MOSTLY away from glutens, which is something.  Its not helping my guts though, they are all atwist.  

I am starting school next week and I need a routine that works.  This is what I need:

Time to work out/be physically active 5x week

Time to keep the house clean

Time to study 15 hrs/week

Time to cook/plan food

Time to practice cello 3hrs week (in whatever increments are available)

Occasionally time to relax.

The only solution here I see is to be going to bed around 2130 so I can be getting up at 0600 and working out in the morning.  Otherwise, in the evenings, it will ALWAYS get pushed aside. If my evenings are free, I can find a couple hours a couple times a week for cleaning, I have 2 days/week off for studying, and the occasional evening, and 7FG is going to have to help a lot in regards to food.  Relaxing...well... should have time here and there.  

I am really fighting the feeling stuck, and the emotional eating again.  Chips.  Really? They're disgusting, horrible, practically nutritionally devoid... but I saw cinnamon bun flavoured lays! What?? So I had to try them, then it says vote on your favourite new flavour, and there is tzitziki, and jalapeño mac and cheese.  Also bacon and poutine but 7FG says they have guten.  Anyway, what do I do?  well, gotta try them all of course! And they weren't even that good... sour cream and onion is still my fave.  

I have still been eating lots of smoothies, and I make really good ones.  Also healthy breakfasts, pretty good lunches, avoiding most junk at work (I ate a wagon wheel though... I don't even like them but it was there and I was hungry so...*face palm*), but getting in trouble with the hangries when I get home STARVING.  

I've been wanting to do this 30 day cleanse thing with isagenix.  A girl I know lost like 9lbs, 5 inches of the hips, 3 off the waist, and said the first week was really hard, but then it was ok and the results were great.  She said that her gut issues settled right down, and now she is really pleased with the resuls and has an easier time sticking to good choices.  Its really, really expensive though, and I tend to think of these things as total money grabbing BS.  Anybody have thoughts?

Hey Sweetie!

Guess who you'll meet in November??? That's right...

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spartan Sprint Spectator at your service!!

I know things are tough, but it sounds like you have no reason to be guilty at work. Are you trying to save your boss some headaches? Or am I reading into that wrong? If you are, stop! It's their job to detangle themselves from work issues. YOU will want to focus on doing your job the best way you can and then see about helping others.

I wish I could help you with the time management, but I truly suck at it!

Isagenix:: My gut reaction would be, it's not worth it. If it's a jump starter to natural weight management maybe. But to claim drastic guarantees like that, I would not bother with it. Here's a few articles I found.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/defending_isagenix_a_case_study_in_flawed_thinking

http://ancestral-nutrition.com/an-unbiased-review-of-isagenix/

http://365fitt.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-is-isagenix-and-is-it-magic-diet.html

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/isagenix-study-is-not-convincing/

Good luck this week and a half.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

phew! you've got a ton going on!

regarding the morning workouts - I also like to get 7-8 hours of sleep. I have no problem being a lame-o on week nights and getting into bed between 8 and 9 (usually don't fall asleep until 9-930). I wake up at 5 and do a workout. Because, like you, it won't get done at night. I used to do night workouts and changing to morning completely rocked my world. I love it! i hope you find a rhythm you love! and then I hope you can play it on the cello! ba dum tchhhh! see what I did there?

My gut reaction to the cleanse is the same as Teri's. First I might try cutting out something that tempts you. Maybe lump work junk food into one group and allow yourself two days a week where you can enjoy one or two things like that at work but the other 3,4,or 5 days (however often you work!) be strict about only eating the stuff that makes your body feel good :)

whatever you decide, good luck!

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

I thought I was going to use a friend over yesterday as an excuse not to do anything.  Instead, we went for a walk where I did some box jumps on a park bench, did some inverted rows (which she had to criticize), and practiced some balance on a curb!  Then went home and did some yoga (well, I did yoga, and the cats were very well played with), and enjoyed... pumpkin pie cupcakes with cream cheese ice cream.

I regret nothing.  

• Like 1

"pumpkin pie cupcakes with cream cheese ice cream" aw! have some for me - it sounds fantastic!

how were the box jumps?

I will! Maybe I'll bring some to Boston!

Apparently I cheated on the jumps... I did 10, but for 9 of them, I jumped up and let myself fall back down instead of firmly landing it. I guess it made it easier. I'll try them again this weekend I think!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

phew! you've got a ton going on!

regarding the morning workouts - I also like to get 7-8 hours of sleep. I have no problem being a lame-o on week nights and getting into bed between 8 and 9 (usually don't fall asleep until 9-930). I wake up at 5 and do a workout. Because, like you, it won't get done at night. I used to do night workouts and changing to morning completely rocked my world. I love it! i hope you find a rhythm you love! and then I hope you can play it on the cello! ba dum tchhhh! see what I did there?

My gut reaction to the cleanse is the same as Teri's. First I might try cutting out something that tempts you. Maybe lump work junk food into one group and allow yourself two days a week where you can enjoy one or two things like that at work but the other 3,4,or 5 days (however often you work!) be strict about only eating the stuff that makes your body feel good :)

whatever you decide, good luck!

I saw what you did there!! I. Love. Pun.!!

I did a goal last challenge that involved stopping eating the work junk. I did pretty well at it, but recently I've been sliding a bit. Gotta get it back!

Good to hear of someone else with the same scheduling issue that found a schedule that works!! I have this impossible time getting to bed before 10. I try and try and it's just not happening. Lack of meal planning contributes... Everything ends up too late!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey chica,  on the box jumps when you say fall back down instead of landing solidly, you're not jumping OFF the box are you?

Jump onto box, step off the box.   Repeat.   Super safer for your achilles tendons - which you really want to be kind to!  (My teammate ruptured hers once, it was like a 6 month ordeal before she got back to her regular activities.)   And, the explosive part of the set up is in the jump up, so it's not cheating to step off the box.    I watched a workout by an NHL star, and on his box jumps, he jumped up to the highest one, then the trainer had him walk down a series of 'steps' from smaller boxes so he wasn't jumping off.   If it's good for Zetterberg, it's good for me! 

Just my 2c. :)   Take and put in coin jar, or fling it in a fountain as you see fit.

• Like 1

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Got up at 0630 to do a short workout despite being to bed an hour later then I wanted and sleeping like craaaaaaap! So far, I think I feel worse for the workout, but I gotta have time to get used to it.

AROO!!!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines