Maledictus: You run like a girl

Maledictus

Goal 1: When I say run, run. (pause) RUN! (+4 DEX)

I want to do at least a 5k a week and a set of sprints.  This is more for time than distance.  Use the 5ks to improve running technique.

Grade: Lose a grade per week without a full set of runs skipped (1 or 2, taking genuine factors into account).

This is to be done with Zombies, Run (season 3! yay!) Intervals! Yay!

Goal 2: Keep Running (+5 STA)

I'm doing (probably) 4 Tough Mudders this challenge (I know I was supposed to not have anything, change of plan, see next post for details).  But only at two events.  So I need to get the first one of each done ASAP.  One's on the 3rd and the next is on the 17th of August.  So I can compare times.  I'll have a week's holiday in between that is going to be nothing but running after 7 kids and the occasional bodyweight workout so we'll see what difference that makes,  So 50/50 split if I make it round in time to do a second lap.

Goal 3:  Cut me (calorific intake) mick (+5 CON)

So I've figured out why I'm not losing any weight at the moment - I've been stuck on one phase of a program for a while that's primarily strength based.  Mainly because I don't recognise half the exercises in the next phase.  However, phase one is for bulking.  Plus by the time you take recover shake, yogurt + full fat milk into account, I'm having double my suggested fat intake.  Oddly I'm not gaining either though.  So it's 7 weeks of actually tracking macros and calories (sob).  I know that will work it's just a load of really boring logging..

Side Quest: STFU

Spartan season is here and the sprint/super are due in this challenge.  Then on the 7th I'm running a final sprint, hopefully with my daughter (if Spartan HQ UK ever bother replying, they're not always the most responsive of people),  I have times from last year so I have no reason not to smash them into little bits.  It's the shorter distance (she can't do 10ks yet for example) but she does a lot of sports, so I need to keep up with her.  So the thread title is more an aspiration than anything else.  I hope to be able to run as fast as a girl by the end of this, hence the focus on running, BW exercises and cutting.

• Like 3

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

So yeah.  Tough Mudders.  Because I have a seaon ticket my wife is insisting I get my money's worth and run a couple more.  I figure, if I'm driving 2-3 hours* for a race, I'm doing it twice... of course, on a "book it in the last couple of months" basis it's already paid for itself.  But if she insists...

*In the opening chapter of Notes from a Small Island, Bryson writes: "If you mention in the pub that you intend to drive from, say, Surrey to Cornwall, a distance that most Americans would happily go to get a taco, your companions will puff their cheeks, look knowingly at each other, and blow out air as if to say, "Well, now that's a bit of a tall order..." 

• Like 1

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Subbing for the inspiration!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I'm psyched to see how your races come out. I'm not judging or criticizing, but I'm not sure I totally understand your diet goal. As I read it, (and I might misunderstand) you think you are doing a program designed for bulking but you actually want to lose weight. i see that you are planning on doing some tracking, but are you also planning to change the program/eating goals?

I know relatively little about this, so I'm honestly just asking.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I'm psyched to see how your races come out. I'm not judging or criticizing, but I'm not sure I totally understand your diet goal. As I read it, (and I mgiht misunderstand) you think you are doing a program designed for bulking but you actually want to loose weight. i see that you are planning on doing some tracking, but are you also planning to change the program/eating goals?

I know relatively little about this, so I'm honestly just asking.

Nope, not as such.  I'm on a program that over 4 phases is meant to lose a little weight but increase the amount of muscle (so body recomp effectively).  Phase 1 is about packing on a bit of muscle and you really need to take in calories for that.  Because I like overhead pressing (actually because I haven't topped out yet on the newb gains I can make) and also because I literally don't know what half the exercise/my gym doesn't have the requisite gear I've been pushing back moving on to the next phase (where calories are reduced but exercise is also more focussed on density training) I've been delaying it for about 4 weeks. Basically I've been sticking to the stuff I like doing instead of progressing with it because

a) reducing that low on the macros requires actual tracking

B) the exercises are new to me so I'll suck at them

c) I LIKE overhead pressing and cleans etc.  

So it's more like I like the bulking/strength part and I've allowed myself to get stuck on it.  So I need to get my arse in gear.  I did a ridiculous number of pullups/burpees at the end of the last challenge (I was already planning on doing murph with a vest that weekend but it got out of hand).  Let me tell you, you feel every lb you shouldn't be carrying after a couple of hundred pullups/burpees.  Plus I like racing at about 200lb.   Any lower (which isn't happening long term unless I switch to running/body weight and lose some muscle OR cut off a leg) and I feel weak, anything over 205 (210 now) and I feel like a bloater.  Which is hilarious considering I was 40lb heavier on my first ever spartan race.

It doesn't make much sense because I have conflicting goals.  I like obstacle racing but the ideal build for that looks nothing like someone who enjoys deadlifts/squats/OHP (bench, not so much) and also wants to improve with them.

But I have about 12 lbs more muscle than I did last time I weighed myself at 211.  So there's progress but it's all over the place because my goals are.  It'd be a lot easier if I picked one thing and just stuck to it, but that's not really my style :)

• Like 1

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Tough mudder is one of my will do goal! 

It's pricer than most but makes an excellent gateway drug into this weird stuff I do most weekends.  Plus it's very slickly organised compared to most.  Book early or help out at an earlier race and it isn't too pricey.

Subbing for the inspiration!

Not talking to you.  My arms and sides still hurt after those pullups/burpees.  :)

• Like 1

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Exercising with the kidlets is very cool. Running OCRs with them is full of awesome!!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

It's pricer than most but makes an excellent gateway drug into this weird stuff I do most weekends.  Plus it's very slickly organised compared to most.  Book early or help out at an earlier race and it isn't too pricey.

Not talking to you.  My arms and sides still hurt after those pullups/burpees.   :)

:sorrow:  Mea culpa. Does it help that I have a goal to do 1,000 burpees this challenge? And you have the gratitude of a number of us rangers that were spared a late Sunday night burpee fest because of your heroics? (I think Xena will vouch for me on this...)

Or should this old lady up her goal to 1600 burpees as penance?  :tongue:  (Uh oh, NSAID time...)

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

HAIL

Maledictus

AND

CARRY 

ON

• Like 2

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

All the running!!!  I am on the fence about running.  I enjoy trail running most of the time and I LOVE OCRs!!  So I need to keep running.  

I haven't done a Tough Mudder yet but it is on the list.  :)

Love the goals, excited to hear about your races!

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

HAIL

Maledictus

AND

CARRY 

ON

MjAxMi02MWJiZGI5NzM2ZGMzMGM2.png

All the running!!!  I am on the fence about running.  I enjoy trail running most of the time and I LOVE OCRs!!  So I need to keep running.  

I haven't done a Tough Mudder yet but it is on the list.   :)

Love the goals, excited to hear about your races!

I HATE running.  Seriously.  But I suck at it and it's a prerequisite for OCR (the clues in the R).  So I end up trying to do more of it so I can suck less.  I still make up all my time on the obstacles/carries/endurance/sheer bloody mindedness sections.

Ummm Bill Bryson is da best! Actually, I just really love any travel writing, but his style is so approachable and lovely.

Anyway, your goals look solid, I hope you rock this challenge. Running is also da best :)

They look solid but macro tracking ... blech.

Oh and Spartan got back in touch and my daughter is signed up.  Her one ticket cost 1/2 of what my season pass did.  Ouch.  Still, should be a giggle.

Oh and started yoga on saturday.  New instructor at the gym who is very knowledgeable.  Gym owner was raving about it so I thought I'd give it a go.  He neglected to mention it was me, him and a butt load of women.  In a heated room.  Doing slow movements under tension.  It was not a good look on me.  On the plus side my hips feel much looser (20-30 miles in I generally have to pick my legs up and throw them over obstacles).  So I'll keep going and see how it turns out.  I'm generally running kids around but I'll make it when I can.

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

No training at all since last sunday - combination of illness and taking a rest (for once).

Decided to see where my deadlift/squat are tonight.

Deadlift is 140kg, with 150kg being almost there.  The annoying thing is I did 160kg easily at the start of the year (I was also eating about 7000 cals a day at that point though...)

Squat was 120kg for 5 reps.  130 was doable for 1 (current PR).  140kg was ok till about 1/4 ROM down.  Then it got nasty and I had to bail.  Mainly because one of the trainers was showing a couple of people round and one of them decided to shout over at me while I was lowering down.  I racked it and then threatened to throw a plate through his head if he ever pulled a stunt like that again.  I think I turned into a meathead when I wasn't looking.

Ran out of time for a run tonight, so do that tomorrow night.

Tough Guy have been back in touch, getting that sorted (slowly).  They really are a unique bunch of people.  Plus there's ANOTHER NEW OCR in the UK for me to sign up for :).  According to the main guy at mudstacle this one is a bit special.

Had to measure my wrist/forearm for a new gps watch.  7 inches at the wrist and 8.5 a little further up.  Hopefully the TomTom can manage that (apparently it has a really big strap, the garmin is getting a little tight and it has a custom strap so I can't just swap it out).

• Like 1

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

No training at all since last sunday - combination of illness and taking a rest (for once).

Wait, what? A rest? I didn't think you knew what that meant :tongue:

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

I wouldn't worry about your strength numbers all too much. When I was doing mainly weights my deads were 205 for 3 rep max, but now that I'm doing mostly cardio and endurance training their closer to 155.... but I can do 50 reps (with breaks).

Rest is good :)

And yes, I agree tracking kinda sucks, but sometimes it's necessary temporarily until you get everything dialed in.

Wait, what? A rest? I didn't think you knew what that meant :tongue:

A rest is what they threaten to do to me once I've had too many beers.

And yes, I agree tracking kinda sucks, but sometimes it's necessary temporarily until you get everything dialed in.

Yeah, I've really been overdoing it on the fat intake - although getting as much protein as I need without overshooting the fat is ... interesting.  I ended up having 1 recovery shake with water + 1/2 protein shake with water this evening.  Coconut yogurt has to wait till tomorrow when I can haz fat again.

Eat Me

My own fault - the smoked aubergine in this salad was 20g of fat... the salmon was gooood though.

lift Me

When you can't go past something like this without wondering how far you could run carrying it, you may be overdoing the OCRs...

So tonight.  Gym workout that destroyed me.  

As many sets of the following as you can squeeze into 25 minutes.  I managed 4.5 (which means I get to increase the weight next time.  Yay me!)

Jump Lunges 10

Body Weight Inverted Row (Let Me Ups) 10 reps
Barbell Squat 70 kg x 10 reps
Slideboard Bodysaw 10 reps
Alternating Dumbbell Bench Press 22.5 kg x 10
Bent-Over Rear Delt Raise 8 kg x 10 

I went light on the alternating db press as I figured it was more about working the stabilisers on the alternate side.  Boy was I right.
Went the bathroom after this and thought someone had lousy aim - nope, it was me sweating ...

Pull-Up 10 because hey, they have a bar there...

Rowing (machine) 00:15:00 | 3311 m 

Because there's a week 1 mini challenge.  I reckon if I manage what I want on sunday, I get 50 miles on my own.

Running
00:33:01 | 5.3 km

Went for a zombies, run session when I got home.  First km was 5:28 which is a PR for that hill.  I matched my best 5k time although when I did that 

a) I was 10 lb lighter
B) It was the only exercise I'd done that day

Still had a bit in the tank.  Not much though :)

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

I went light on the alternating db press as I figured it was more about working the stabilisers on the alternate side.  Boy was I right.

I was skimming through your update and read this word as light sabers. Naturally, I stopped and re-read it to see what you meant by "working the light sabers".  You and your fancy English spelling... And yes, that single-arm press is a good one.  I was doing that this morning with my KB.

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Did I read right...pull-ups in the gym bathroom??

At first I thought it was gross because people might not wash their hands etc etc...but then I realized those same people would be going out into the gym and using the pull-up bar anyway.

Still slightly confused but also amused :-)

Nope, but the pullup bars are between the bathroom and the exit. At home I've destroyed pretty much every door frame with my pull up bar so I've done pull ups in pretty much every room...
  • Like 1

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Went to Tough Mudder class last night, for the first time since the instructor has actually done a Tough Mudder.  There's a lot more strength work (carries etc.) in the workout these days :).  Instructor asked me if I'd lost weight and I said no.  Checked today and I'm 9 lbs down from the last time I weighed myself.  But since that was only 4 days ago .... this was in the morning vs after a full day and I do keep ridiculously liquored up hydrated to fool myself into thinking I'm full.  I don't normally check that often but when someone says that as the first thing they say to you it's worth checking up on.  I suspect it has more to do with all the additional core work I'm doing at the moment than actual weight loss.  Plus I was carrying a 25 kg plate overhead at the time so you better believe I was bracing my core :).

For most people losing weight is a good thing.  I just sulk because it cuts into the amount of fat I can have on a daily basis.  Seriously.  Two days where I've had to put off having that coconut yogurt (smoked aubergine one day and my boss wanted to go to a japanese place yesterday  where everything I wanted  was slathered in oil - except the waitress :().

They had a new plyo box and I got told off for showing off when I upended it to increase the height to 30".  There was some new guy that came along last night that kept telling people about the massive number of races he was doing this year.  Five of them.  I didn't feel like saying anything until he started getting the distances wrong on some of them.  Then when the instructor went on about Tough Mudder he started going on about how it wasn't a challenge.  Which is when she (bless her) turned to me and said "that's probably why you do them with a weighted backpack on or two in one day, isn't it?".  He calmed down a bit after that.

My phone holder armband has popped open all along one side (bloody stupid over developed bicep) so my wife started up zombies run on the phone and then duct taped it to my arm.  Stylish AND effective.

Yoga today and then  a very early night in anticipation of all sorts of ridiculousness tomorrow.  I know you aren't supposed to go wild with food after a run (at least 60% of the November Project memes have to do with how much food you have straight after it) but you better believe there cliff bars/jelly beans/full fat milk and yogurt in my future tomorrow.  Probably a whole heap of chicken as well.

• Like 2

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

I was skimming through your update and read this word as light sabers. Naturally, I stopped and re-read it to see what you meant by "working the light sabers".  You and your fancy English spelling... And yes, that single-arm press is a good one.  I was doing that this morning with my KB.

I'm changing my phone sig to "in the gym, working the light sabers".

My fat gripz turned up yesterday (the gym doesn't have any).  It's ... odd.

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines