We are the Pirate Queens...

Fierce in our commitment to our goals

and determined to pursue our destinies

wherever our dreams may take us.

gallery_17054_1045_17687.jpg

We raise our standard and set sail!

gallery_17054_1045_5765.jpg

To come aboard, sign on here.

Then grab a mug of rum and introduce yerself.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

(Trainees Thread, CutLasses - Please Follow n' Encourage!)

The Queen o' Swords

Crew Manifest

ShadowLion, Captain

Able Seawomen

Anaticula

Apprentice Seawomen

Busy Chiseling

Courtneyr2

Villlikissa

Zuul

The Laughing Mermaid

Crew Manifest

Elinox, Captain

Able Seawomen

Elfikay

crazyjerseygirl

starsapart

Apprentice Seawomen

Elisha

The Valkyrie

Crew Manifest

Chris-Tien Jinn, Captain

Fleet Cook n' Nutritionist

DarK_RaideR

Able Seawomen

DreamPirate/Jazzy

Apprentice Seawomen

Thyra

TINSIngredient

Master o' Swords

Skorri

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Ahoy! I'm ShadowLion, the captain o' the Queen O' Swords. 

We be pirate lasses who evolved a purpose last challenge, namely teh plunder the threads o' experienced rebels who have many glittering gifs n' other shiny baubles, n' redistribute said booty teh youngling rebels in need a bit o' encouragement n' fun. Oh, n' have a bit o' fun, encouragement, n' camaraderie ourselves in the process!

We're loading the last o' our provisions n' getting our gear squared away. Our little fleet sets sail tomorrow on the tides o' the new challenge and we hope you will join us!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Chris-Tien clung tightly to the netting of the pallet as it was hoisted jerkily upward and swung over the gaping mouth of the deck hatch.  She cursed and tightened her grip on the rough rope as the cargo swung lazily.  Heights were not her favorite thing, and she tried to distract herself by watching her plan unfold on the dock.  A grey-robed figure stopped for a moment and pointed to the entrance to a narrow alley before he gestured quickly to similarly-clad companions to follow him through the rough archway.  The group - and Chris counted 8 of the hooded figures - hurried off of the docks while Captain Hook cautiously skirted his way to the Jolly Roger, tied up on an adjacent pier.  The timing was working perfectly, Chris mused, as the pallet began its slow descent into the hold.  Now, she hoped, ShadowLion wouldn't mind the arrival of an unexpected addition to her crew. 

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

"Let's see what the cat dragged aboard today, shall we?" ShadowLion murmured to the black cat draped across her shoulder.

Scratching the cat's ears, the captain addressed her by the name the ship's mouser had been known by ever since the Queen o' Sword's damaging encounter with a giant squid. "Somebody, I believe we have a stowaway n' I would recognize the feel of her magic anywhere..."

Somebody scampered down into the hold, followed by ShadowLion.

"Ye be lucky, Jinn. We be done with our repairs an' the rest o' the lasses are due back from their shore leave. We'll be away before whatever trouble is after ye has a chance to find ye." The captain clapped Chris-Tien on the back and laughed. "An' I have a job a-fittin' yer skills. Ye'll earn yer keep until we take another prize!"

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

"Well, ye know me all too well, Shadow.  I never could resist the offer of a job, but you should know what you're taking on before we shake hands on it."  Chris lowered her voice, hoping the crew was too busy stowing supplies to take note.  "It's a god that's unhappy with me, you see, and he'll chase us across the seas if he figures out where I've gone and how he's been tricked. On the other hand, it's a god that will reward us beyond what we take in booty along the way.  What say ye?"

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"I appreciate your candor, but I do not put over much stock in the gods o' men, Jinn. The one I bow to is a Lady. And that Lady has treated me very kindly o' late." Shadow Lion gestures to the ship around them, then catches Somebody as the cat leaps towards her from the top of a pallet. Ensconced once again across the captain's shoulders, Somebody fixes her green, green eyes upon Chris-Tien and starts to purr.

ShadowLion grins. "I put a great deal o' stock in Somebody's opinion, however," she says as she extends her hand to Chris-Tien Jinn.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Smiling in return, Chris grasped the captain's strong hand and shook it.  For the first time in months, she felt herself relax a bit, and the set of her shoulders loosened beneath the shadowed cloak.  "Then we have an accord, Capt'n."  She shifted her eyes to ShadowLion's shoulder.  "'Somebody', hum??  Does she get into all the mischief blamed on her?" she quipped. 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

Ahoy there me fellow lassies! It be I, Elinox the bonnie bosun from our last sailin' adventure! This go round, the good Cap'n ShadowLion has allowed me the use of me own ship teh captain in order to terrorize...er, I mean encourage new lassies in their endeavors. :D

As the Queen o' Swords prepares to set sail, Eli walks across the deck of her own new ship, the Laughing Mermaid. Moored next to each other, she can see ShadowLion conversin' with Chris so she offers a friendly wave. Smiling to herself at her fellow past-shipmates, she eyes the rigging and anchor, eager to be on her own way. With strong sails as blue as the waters they'll be sailing on an' a smart wind comin' in from the west, she is ready for adventure and treasure! She calls to the crew who are aloft, "Ready the main sails!"

• Like 2

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

Lasses! Ye will want teh follow the Apprentices' thread, as well as this one, so ye'll know what yer captain n' Chris-Tien are about with the young lasses. Find a Level One lass or two teh assist in learning the ways o' the CutLasses n' the pirate skills teh keep her safe from noose or sword!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Smiling in return, Chris grasped the captain's strong hand and shook it.  For the first time in months, she felt herself relax a bit, and the set of her shoulders loosened beneath the shadowed cloak.  "Then we have an accord, Capt'n."  She shifted her eyes to ShadowLion's shoulder.  "'Somebody', hum??  Does she get into all the mischief blamed on her?" she quipped. 

"That n' more! Sort o' like somebody else aboard me ship..." ShadowLion raised an eyebrow at Chris-Tien. "I'm a-thinkin' I need teh hear more o' this god business from ye, Jinn, as distasteful as I may find it. I know there are foul things that happen in this city and on up the river. And while Lady Fortuna has looked with favor upon this ship, she can be a fickle one n' the safety o' all aboard the Queen is my responsibility. I need teh know what may lay ahead."

Chris-Tien nodded and sighed. "Over a mug o' rum?"

"Aye. In my quarters." Seeing the shadow pass across Chris-Tien's face, after having watched the other woman finally start to relax, ShadowLion added, "It is not teh worry ye. I am cautious aforehand, ye know that from the past, but when swords and pistols are drawn, there will be no hesitation."

Chris-Tien started to protest, "It is not swords or pistols that are my worry..."

ShadowLion gazed levelly at the mage, "And magic is not mine. I have faith in you. And there be others in my crew who know more than a little magic as well, hidden though they be."

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Ahoy there me fellow lassies! It be I, Elinox the bonnie bosun from our last sailin' adventure! This go round, the good Cap'n ShadowLion has allowed me the use of me own ship teh captain in order to terrorize...er, I mean encourage new lassies in their endeavors. :D

As the Queen o' Swords prepares to set sail, Eli walks across the deck of her own new ship, the Laughing Mermaid. Moored next to each other, she can see ShadowLion conversin' with Chris so she offers a friendly wave. Smiling to herself at her fellow past-shipmates, she eyes the rigging and anchor, eager to be on her own way. With strong sails as blue as the waters they'll be sailing on an' a smart wind comin' in from the west, she is ready for adventure and treasure! She calls to the crew who are aloft, "Ready the main sails!"

Ahoy, Elinox! I see ye've changed yer avatar teh one more appropriate teh a fierce pirate queen like yerself!

Save yer terrorizin' fer our next prize n' let the new lassies be fer now. I want them teh watch n' see what fun a boarding party can be before ye scare them witless with yer maneuvers!

I'm going teh take a little sail out o' port right now teh test the repairs on the Queen - I have a passenger that needs a breath o' fresh air.

Stay at the dock to collect the rest o' the lasses n' keep an ear out fer anything concerning our visitor or a likely prize. Once we have our crew, we'll get teh piratin' in earnest!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Safely in ShadowLion's quarters, the the door bolted behind them, Chris-Tien lost no time in filling in her captain.  Pulling a roll of canvas out of her vest, she laid it carefully on the desk and smoothed it out.

goldenlioness

"This be our quarry.   It is said to be pure gold and the size of Somebody there."  She gestured at the cat peering down from Shadow's shoulder.  "Two gods, Boreas, the Wind of the North, and Vulcan, god of metal and volcanoes both want it badly."

The captain examined the prize with a practiced eye.  "It'd be worth a pretty penny, that's for sure.  But what do gods need of gold?"

The wizard sighed. "It's worth more than the gold or the beauty of it.  Tales say it is enchanted, and whoever possesses it at the Winter Solstice will gain his ... or her ..... fondest desire.  Even the gods have desires, it would seem."

"Aye, that'd be true," ShadowLion mused.  "Magic and gold then, hum?"  She straightened and regarded her new crew member.  "So, which of them is on our side."

"Boreas.  He hired me before the Summer Solstice, and things have been ..... complicated ...... since.  Hook and the Jolly Roger were helping me, but Morgan Adams and the Northern Girl  .... and Vulcan's other allies ..... were proving too difficult to shake.  So we split up and agreed to rendezvous .... " Chris began to rummage around the Captain's desk, looking for the appropriate chart. "..... here."  She pointed to a city far up the river.  "I have the exact coordinates deciphered from a coded book.  It will be the location of another clue, I'm afraid.  But the booty at the end of the hunt should prove worth our while." 

Some sort of Jedi .....

I'm going teh take a little sail out o' port right now teh test the repairs on the Queen - I have a passenger that needs a breath o' fresh air.

Stay at the dock to collect the rest o' the lasses n' keep an ear out fer anything concerning our visitor or a likely prize. Once we have our crew, we'll get teh piratin' in earnest!

Aye aye cap'n!

Oh an' Chris, the name o' Morgan Adams' ship was the Morning Star if memory serves. ;) Dog's ship was the Reaper

Dunna' fear though, I'll get teh contacting Cap'n Sparrow on the Black Pearl straightaways an' good ol' Anne Bonney on the Revenge meself!

• Like 1

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Chris nods as Elinox recounts the ships and captains, "Aye, that I know, but Adams sails the Northern Girl under Vulcan's orders these last few months ..... although we put a few holes in that poor ol' ship a week or so ago.  If Adams knows what's good for her, she'll return to her own ship and crew and leave us be.  She never liked to go up against uneven odds ... and we've two ships with guns and able crew to send her to Davey Jones' Locker if she tries to follow us."

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

As soon as Jinn had rolled out the canvas, ShadowLion knew that what lay before them would involve far more than a fast run up that accursed river.

She worked hard to keep her emotions in check as she played the role of a clueless, avaricious pirate. Treasure be damned. She had waited all her long, long life for this chance. Yet she could not deny the memories stirring in her mind. She stared at the picture ChrisTien laid out before her and debated how much she should reveal to the mage.

Yes, they had known each other for some time, and she knew the other woman to be skilled and trustworthy. And still, she hesitated. There was a reason for the word "shadow" in her name and secrets in her past that she wished to keep buried.

"Jinn," the Captain paused as she saw Chris-Tien react to her tone. "We may be dealing with far more than Boreas and Vulcan, my friend. I know this artifact. And, it has a twin."

Chris-Tien started, ever so slightly. She hid it well, but it did not escape ShadowLion's notice. A long silence enveloped them. They could hear the muffled voices of the crew, the soft slap of the sails beyond the walls of the captain's quarters, which suddenly seemed cramped and stifling hot, despite the weather's chill.

So softly that she could barely hear herself, ShadowLion spoke. She no longer bothered to speak in the harsh, brazen pirate manner, to hide her accent or the lingering traces of the education she once enjoyed, "Kerubim. Sacred symbols to my people." 

Chris-Tien started to speak, but ShadowLion raised her hand, "I am sorry, I cannot speak any further of the relic now. You have been straightforward with me, and I wish to be with you, as well. But first, I must fast and pray."

ShadowLion watched the questions, and a few answers, play across Chris-Tien's face.

"No, not any of the warring desert tribes that you are thinking of...I am of a race far more ancient than that. Malakh. I am Malakh."

"Then you were not referring to 'Lady Luck' when you said you served a Lady..." Chris-Tien said.

"No." With that one word ShadowLion revealed the first of her many secrets. Jinn would now know there was more than one mage aboard the Queen o' Swords...

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Standing straight, Chris-Tien regarded ShadowLion carefully, as if seeing her friend and comrade for the first time before she emitted a low whistle.  "I had a sense that there was something Boreas wasn't telling me about this job," she murmured.  "Damn the gods and their games!" she snarled quietly, looking back at the canvas and the prize she'd been sent to find.   She desperately wanted to pepper the captain with questions, but refrained,  her mouth clamped into a thin line as she stiffled her curiosity.  "Think on it, then, and we'll talk when you're ready."  With a nod, she headed toward the door, her dark cloak stirring the shadows in the corners of the cabin. 

Some sort of Jedi .....

A loud rap at the door caused the ship's cat to start awake.

"Aye, Somebody, a captain gets no luxury o' quiet," ShadowLion said as she rose from her chair and plopped the big black cat onto her desk. She opened her cabin door to see Elinox, captain of the Laughing Mermaid, and Chris-Tien Jinn, standing there.

"Sorry teh disturb ye, but there be news from our "ears" in town," Elinox said. "There's a group o' the city guard headed our way at the quarter hour."

"Then let's get moving. Out into the main channel n' head upriver teh the Dark Islands. The Queen will lead. Standard signals. Time the new lasses got a taste o' open water!"

The three women took to the deck, with Elinox fetching her bosun and quickly going down the gangplank, back to the Laughing Mermaid. At the word from ShadowLion, the crew threw off lines and adjusted the sails with practiced speed. Chris-Tien leaned close as the captain scanned the ship, it's rigging, and the dock.

"You had little enough time to contemplate. You've made your decision, then?" Chris-Tien asked.

"Aye. If malakh can be said teh have freewill, then I have made it." ShadowLion replied. "We will follow your clues. An' I pray we can steer clear o' the shadows that seek us both. There are some adventures I would spare our newest crew members..."

The Queen o' Swords was moving now, the wind filling her sails. The ship pulled steadily out into the harbor, followed by the Laughing Mermaid, and turned to catch the winds that would take them up the river.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

The two ships made their way into the main channel each still flying the flag of the southern islands from which they had come before making their most recent harbor. Below the widely recognized kingdom flags, each ship flew it's own flag - a saucy mermaid in the case of Elinox's ship, a red banner with a simple black lioness on ShadowLion's.

Once she was satisfied that there was no pursuit, ShadowLion disappeared into her quarters for a few moments. When she returned, Somebody was once again draped across her shoulders, and she carried a flat, carved wooden box. She signalled three of the apprentices to come to her. Sending two aloft to haul down the existing colors, she signaled the third, Villikissa, the cait sidhe, to take the box. The captain lifted the lid and reverently removed a folded cloth of tightly woven, scarlet silk. She put the red cloth to her lips and kissed it before taking back the box and handing the bundle to Villikissa. The apprentice answered Shadowlion's lift of her chin with a nod, tucked the cloth securely into her shirt, and began her climb.

Soon, ShadowLion sensed Chris-Tien's presence near her and without a word, she reached into the black velvet pouch tied at her waist and handed the mage something concealed in her hand.

Chris-Tien took the object and moved closer by the captain, with a glance up at the mast. Villikissa was still some ways from the top. She turned the small piece of gold over.

gallery_17054_1285_26786.jpg

"Given me by my Master, as was the flag, before I was sent here," the captain said. The last word hung in the air, full of ambiguity, and intoned with bone-deep sadness.

ShadowLion watched Chris-Tien turn the piece again and gaze at the back before returning it. The captain tucked the piece back into her pouch without another word and both women looked up to the sky, where Villikissa had fastened the ship's new standard. In the brisk breeze, the red silk unfurled to reveal a new lioness, this one winged and rampant, black, and holding a white rose in one paw. Thin black lines, looking for all the worlds like a spider's web, laced across the field of red.

Tears filled ShadowLion's eyes and threatened to spill onto her cheeks. She did not bother to hide them from Jinn, only said,"I spoke of Lady Fortuna, but that is one of the names given her by folk who do not know her true nature. The hand of Fate is sure and strong, and it is the will of the Mother of Us All that brought you to my ship. She will test us, reward us, and call us back to her as she sees fit. Even Boreas or Vulcan cannot escape her net, how much less shall we?"

ShadowLion looked at Chris-Tien. The mage softly said, "I have never seen you like this, Shadow."

ShadowLion replied, "Aye. A black mood can come on me once and again, and I have teh say this took me back a bit." Straightening her shoulders, the captain continued and a wicked grin began to steal across her face, "But I am over it now. We be in fer grand times, Jinn! Ye haven't lived until ye've pirated with a malakh in the service o' her Lady!"

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Chris' matching grin spread slowly across her face, as she considered the adventure that lay ahead.  High above them, gulls heralded the two ships as their sails snapped and filled with a crisp, almost bitingly cold, wind.  The Queen's prow cut regally through the camel-colored water as she swung north and settled in against the languid current of the Ra Duin, followed close by the Mermaid.  This close to the Great Sea, the river was broad as a lake, and the far shore was barely visible as a smudge under a blue-grey sky. 

Smaller craft dotted the broad expanse of muddy water - some fishing, some hauling cargo, and some carrying nobles out for a relaxing day.  None of them seemed the least interested in a pair of gun ships, but Chris wanted to leave nothing to chance.  With a sharp whistle, she signaled for Ana, who came partway down the rigging in answer. 

"Spread the word around and all of you keep a sharp eye.  Ifn someone seems to be followin' us, speak a quiet word to me or the captain.  We don't want no tails on the way, savvy?"

Ana nodded crisply and scampered back up to her position on the spar of the main sail.  Shadow looked a question at Jinn who shrugged in response.  "Probably nothing ... just a feeling."

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

OOC: Keep in mind that anyone onboard the Laughing Mermaid will have no idea what is said or done on the Queen o' Swords. ;) Are any of the newbies sailing with me presently?

BIC: As they began to leave port, Elinox walked to the prow of her new ship and watched as the docks began to fall slowly behind them. This land with its oddly colored water and vast river were all new to her and she was slightly uncomfortable at being in unfamiliar waters.

As her eyes roved over the docks, she couldn't shake the feeling that they were being watched, as if someone were waiting for an opportune moment. Shaking herself at such thoughts of paranoia, she looked aloft as one of her sailors attached their colors. She smiled and twitched her ears in pleasure. With the winds picking up, they would be out to open sea soon and then it would be fine sailing and adventure!

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

You dare to board my ship and steal my booty? ( I got a lot of backside- take what you want) You seem a good lot and to share my wealth with such strong women is an honor.

What do I need to do?

Nothin', yer booty has already been distributed. Just keep bein' awesome and workin' hard at yer challenge. Yeh never know where The Cutlasses may strike next! Arrrr!!!

Current Challenge: 

You dare to board my ship and steal my booty? ( I got a lot of backside- take what you want) You seem a good lot and to share my wealth with such strong women is an honor.

What do I need to do?

We be doin' the heavy liftin' now o' all that treasure ye've so generously provided teh us. As Elinox said, keep on yer merrie way o' bein' awesome.

However, if ye see a youngling rebel who might need a bit o' encouragement or just a friendly halloo from the CutLasses n' their apprentices, ye can always drop one o' us bonny CutLasses a PM - me, Elinox, or Chris-Tien Jinn - with suggestions. We be haulin' so much booty at present, we can afford teh spread it around!

We thank ye very much, T2SarahConnor!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

OOC: Keep in mind that anyone onboard the Laughing Mermaid will have no idea what is said or done on the Queen o' Swords. ;) Are any of the newbies sailing with me presently?

BIC: As they began to leave port, Elinox walked to the prow of her new ship and watched as the docks began to fall slowly behind them. This land with its oddly colored water and vast river were all new to her and she was slightly uncomfortable at being in unfamiliar waters.

As her eyes roved over the docks, she couldn't shake the feeling that they were being watched, as if someone were waiting for an opportune moment. Shaking herself at such thoughts of paranoia, she looked aloft as one of her sailors attached their colors. She smiled and twitched her ears in pleasure. With the winds picking up, they would be out to open sea soon and then it would be fine sailing and adventure!

They still be all on me ship, as they still are under the training o' Chris-Tien. Once we have some that have proven ready teh move up teh full CutLass status, ye'll receive the new able seawomen and we will open up some slots fer new apprentices. Ye have yer tried n' true crew fer now, so I believe ye can go adventurin' as per yer earlier signals teh the Queen o' Swords. Happy hunting, cap'n!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines