The Swampling #8: En français - allons-y!

Alrighty, then!

The past weeks have shown me that when life gets busy, some things just don't work on auto-pilot yet. Like keeping the Sugar Monster in check. Or taking care of myself. Since things will still be quite busy for me in the immediate future, I'll keep the first two goals from the last challenge:

1. Keep the Sugar Monster at bay +2 CON +2 WIS
Again I'll aim for 21 out of 42 days without any added sugar / sweets / candy / cake / desserts... As before, fruit and reasonable amounts of honey or maple syrup are allowed.

2. Keep moving +2 STA +2 DEX
My KB class will continue until the end of August, so for the time being I aim for 4 exercise points / week: 2 KB classes + 1 yoga class + 1 x practice at home. If the Drill Master decides to really make me work, as he sometimes does, I'll count that too.

3. Get Rosie in better shape +2 WIS +2 CHA
And since I'll still be taking care of Rosie, I want to make sure that I spend some quality time with her and not just do her room service. I'd like us to have a little fun together, and maybe even up her current fitness level a little. She is overweight (not sure how much I can change that over the next six weeks), has not much stamina (why would she - before she came to stay with us she had pretty much a quite extended vacation...) and is used to bad posture.
So I'd like to work with her at least a bit on both posture and on elevating her fitness level a bit.

Depending on external factors (such as weather, horse fly season etc.) I'd like to work with her at least once a week on stamina (lunge line, walks) and once a week on mobility and posture (ground work / work in hand, stretches etc.). But since this is heavily influenced by factors I can't control, I won't grade this goal.

I aim for 6 fitness sessions plus 6 posture sessions, but I won't beat myself up if we don't reach that goal for reasons other than my laziness. :)

4. Keep that old brain working +2 WIS +1 CHA
For a while now I've been wanting to brush up my French - which I haven't really used since High School. Which is a looong time ago now, and also seems like a galaxy far, far away. :blink:
I'd like to make things as easy as possible for this, so I've decided on reading a book we read back then in school. Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Ash said she'd be so kind to keep me company with this project. :)
I hope we can fit those 27 short chapters somewhere in these 6 weeks. I'll be reading the German version side by side with the French, in the hope that I won't need to look up every other word and thus take forever reading it... :D

More on grades and stuff will follow later.

In the meantime:

ALLONS-Y!

And of course...

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM???!!!

• Like 6

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

WOOT WOOT my friend!!!  :triumphant::triumphant::triumphant::triumphant:

Sweet! Perfect way to keep moving in a positive direction despite what life throws at you.  ;)

Now, I hope you won't mind if I copy you a bit.  :P

Aaaaand, hopefully I will have that up by tomorrow. :nevreness:

Looking forward to our French expedition!

Qui diable pensez-vous que nous sommes????!!!

:D

Now let's Rock this!!!  :cheerful::love_heart:

• Like 1

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

I always interact with you in Ash's thread, this time I decided to be here too!!

Can I fallow you reading my portuguese version? lol This would be too easy!

If you don´t mind I ask, who is Rosie?

Good luck with the start tomorrow!!

• Like 2

Good morning! :cheerful:

Ash, copy all you like, and it might be fun if you actually commandeered one of the littles to play the part of the horsey... :D

Clarys - okay, maybe Portuguese alone may be too easy, as is probably English. :lol: But if you have another long forgotten foreign language you'd like to dust off...? (If you don't, you can still read along, although our pace may be a bit too slow, seeing how we'll stretch about 120 pages over 6 weeks... :redface-new:)

I love the book though, I think it's beautiful. Makes me both smile and cry. ;)

Rosie is my friend's horse. Since my friend is currently on a three-month offroading trip in Australia, I take care of Rosie for her. And since Rosie is of a more spherical persuasion at the moment (she could stand to lose 50 - 80 kg, at least), and she has never learned how to use her muscles to carry herself and a rider without harming herself in the long run, we have a lot of work ahead of us.

I know that I won't work wonders in those three months (more like 2 1/2 now), but it would be nice if we girls made a bit of progress until her owner gets back. :)

On the Sugar Monster front: Setting my foot in the office for the first day after a week long vacation, and what do I find? Open chocolate in the office kitchen. Yes, with whole hazelnuts.

But I won't go there. NOT on my first day of the challenge. Nope. Uh-uh.

• Like 2

Hobbit 

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Your darn right you won't my friend.  ;)

I have every confidence in you. That chocolate is just trying to test how tough you are. grrrrrrr! :livid:

And , lol, commandeering a little for the horsey would be easy since my three year old already pretends she is one..... her name is Angel.  ;)

You got this!

:cheerful:

Behold_A_Rainbow_Unicorn_Ninja_by_Jess49

• Like 4

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Maybe you can find something here:

http://www.pinterest.com/explore/homemade-horse-treats/

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :lol:

Yes, I'm going to bed!  :P

:cheerful:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Hi, Tea! *waves enthusiastically*

So. NOW there's not only chocolate (still with whole hazelnuts), but also brownies and cake in the office kitchen. Guys... this is going to be hard!

So far I got away with "thank you, but not right now, maybe later", and I hope I can keep that up until I'm leaving for KB class in two hours.

Gah.

• Like 2

Hobbit 

Subbed! :)

Yaiks, are you sure you're in your office and not in the Sugar Monster's lair? Don't let the Sugar Monster win. Imagine it smiling and nodding at you when you eat that delicious chocolate with whole hazelnuts. Whole hazelnuts... *Homer Simpson drool* I mean... DON'T LET IT WIN >:I

Aaaah, vous parlez francais? Je ne sais pais si j'ai de temps de lire Le Petit Prince avec vous, parce que je suis en train d'améliorer mon russe, mais je vous souhaite bonne chance et joyeux voyage! :)

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

Good morning! :cheerful:

Ash, copy all you like, and it might be fun if you actually commandeered one of the littles to play the part of the horsey... :D

Clarys - okay, maybe Portuguese alone may be too easy, as is probably English. :lol: But if you have another long forgotten foreign language you'd like to dust off...? (If you don't, you can still read along, although our pace may be a bit too slow, seeing how we'll stretch about 120 pages over 6 weeks... :redface-new:)

I love the book though, I think it's beautiful. Makes me both smile and cry. ;)

Rosie is my friend's horse. Since my friend is currently on a three-month offroading trip in Australia, I take care of Rosie for her. And since Rosie is of a more spherical persuasion at the moment (she could stand to lose 50 - 80 kg, at least), and she has never learned how to use her muscles to carry herself and a rider without harming herself in the long run, we have a lot of work ahead of us.

I know that I won't work wonders in those three months (more like 2 1/2 now), but it would be nice if we girls made a bit of progress until her owner gets back. :)

On the Sugar Monster front: Setting my foot in the office for the first day after a week long vacation, and what do I find? Open chocolate in the office kitchen. Yes, with whole hazelnuts.

But I won't go there. NOT on my first day of the challenge. Nope. Uh-uh.

Matter of fact, read fiction in english ins't too easy for me. It is like 3 or 4 times slower than in portuguese... I'm in the beginning of Inheritance that I just found in English, and I was thinking of abando it, so I will add this to my challenge, this way I can join you!! :)

Oh, she is beautiful! I hope you can help her!!

And keep strong and away of that sugar!!

• Like 1

Subbed! :)

Yaiks, are you sure you're in your office and not in the Sugar Monster's lair? Don't let the Sugar Monster win. Imagine it smiling and nodding at you when you eat that delicious chocolate with whole hazelnuts. Whole hazelnuts... *Homer Simpson drool* I mean... DON'T LET IT WIN >:I

Aaaah, vous parlez francais? Je ne sais pais si j'ai de temps de lire Le Petit Prince avec vous, parce que je suis en train d'améliorer mon russe, mais je vous souhaite bonne chance et joyeux voyage! :)

Sometimes it really feels like the Sugar Monster's lair! I believe it has brainwashed Mrs. Boss into doing its bidding. :(

I paraphrase her a bit, but once she said she was bringing all that stuff so she won't be the only one gaining weight. Said in jest, I know, but there might be some truth in that, though.

Malheureusement, non, ne plus. :( C'est pourquoi ce projet. :D

Merci! :)

(Tu pourrais lire le Petit Prince en russe? Non? :))

Hobbit 

Matter of fact, read fiction in english ins't too easy for me. It is like 3 or 4 times slower than in portuguese... I'm in the beginning of Inheritance that I just found in English, and I was thinking of abando it, so I will add this to my challenge, this way I can join you!! :)

Oh, she is beautiful! I hope you can help her!!

And keep strong and away of that sugar!!

Then by all means, the more the merrier! :)

Thank you! Today I was really strong - don't know if I can keep it up tomorrow if the stuff isn't gone by then. :nevreness:

• Like 3

Hobbit 

Thank you, Lullaby!

Where's your current thread? I've been looking for you, but I can't seem to find you? :(

Uhh...I don't have one..yet..still trying to figure out if I will complete a challenge this round. And if so, what will my goals be? [emoji28] Either way, I'll still be around. :)

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

Today I was really strong - don't know if I can keep it up tomorrow if the stuff isn't gone by then. :nevreness:

Tu es fort mon ami !  ;)

I have no doubt you can conquer that sugar monster! You are the one who decides when you will indulge!

Everytime you stare that sugar monster in the eye just say.......

There may be a time when the strength of swampling shall fail.....but that day is not today! :triumphant:  

And remember that you have an entire army right behind you!  Grrrrrrrrr! :livid:

Now, go make Tuesday awesome!  ;)

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Those are some pretty excellent goals Swampy! :-) 

And yeah, tell me about it, it can be really hard to keep certain things on auto-pilot, but I guarantee you'll discover a way one day :-)

Looking forward for what's ahead!

IntroductionBodyware: Fitness Journal

Challenge Belt: (1)(2)(3)(4), (5), (6), (7), [WOOT](8), [TEMP HIATUS], (9)

Bodyweight Info: Starting: 264.5lbs, Current: 167.8lbs (NEUTRAL)

IronGlider v2.10, Adventurer Rank: Level 8

Late to the party, but I'm here and following. Also, I'm reading all that french stuff in my head with a terrible accent of a hollywood stereotype WW2 French Resistance guy. That has a pencil moustache, for some reason.

Alternatively, there's the John Cleese high-pitched french accent.

What were we saying? Pffft, je m'en fous...

Howdy, guys! :cheerful:

Thank you all for checking in on me! Somehow I didn't manage to update here for a while, so here goes:

Week 1, Mon - Fri:

Sugar Monster vs. Swampling: 3 : 2 so far. 3 : 4 at the end of this week would be nice, but if I end up with 4 : 3, that'd be okay. 5 : 2 ? Nope. Won't happen.

Exercise: 3 points for this week so far: 2 x KB class, 1 x yoga class. Tomorrow hopefully KB practice at home. Although today I spent 45 minutes weeding the front yard. Does that count as a functional workout? :)

Project Rosie: We did more ground work today. Somehow I felt she didn't want to think too hard today. I tried to make it easier for her, but I'm not quite sure I succeeded. Well, we'll try again tomorrow or on Sunday. :)

En français: Read chapters 1 - 5 this week, but I'll need to look up some of the more complicated grammatical structures. I really struggled with chapters 3 and 4, while I felt that ch. 5 was easier again. And kids: Beware the baobabs! :blink:

So... off to bed for now, but I'll be back tomorrow and try to catch up with all youse guys! :)

:cheerful::livid::cheerful:

• Like 2

Hobbit 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines