Harihead builds Thighs of Steel: Challenge #2

I continue to be freaked out. Just lost another pound. 8 in one month. 

My Navy BMI has gone down to 42%. I'll do full stats this weekend. 

Wow. 

• Like 3

Level 9 Ranger

STR 13 | DEX 10 | STA 21 | CON 19 | WIS 20 | CHA 15

ChallengesCurrent 1 2 3 | 4 | 5 6 7 7.5 8 9 | 10 | 11 | 11.5 | 12  | 13 | 14  

Groups:  | Rangers Walk to Mordor

Nerd Fitness Academy level: 0 | Starting over

Eat clean, walk strong, age gracefully with joy. 

I continue to be freaked out. Just lost another pound. 8 in one month. 

My Navy BMI has gone down to 42%. I'll do full stats this weekend. 

Wow. 

Great job!!!  The long-term results probably won't keep up that pace, but it's a nice start.  How do you feel?  Is this a sustainable change in your life??

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Great job!!!  The long-term results probably won't keep up that pace, but it's a nice start.  How do you feel?  Is this a sustainable change in your life??

Thanks, Chris! This is mostly sustainable. I'd like to add in more fruits and veggies over time. I'm concentrating on very little fruit, little dairy, and low-sugar veggies. I really think that's the difference. I'll want to vary my diet more in the future, but otherwise this should be good for another month.

Trust me, I'm delighted over making such quick progress! I feel more like "myself". I enjoy regressing in time; the last time I weighed this was December 2012. As I lose weight, I'll go farther back in time. I'm not just losing pounds, I'm getting younger. :) It feels great. 

Week 5 wrap-up: Major bummer was my cold. Slowed me down all week. 

Main Quest: I lost 8 pounds this month. I think the secret was being rigorous about my sugar. I aim for <40 g/day, often total much less. 

Lunge: Back to my bodyweight routine, still assisted but getting easier. I missed 1 strength-training day due to the cold. 

Dairy: Yup, party last night snuck butter and cheese into almost everything. So that's 9 days of >2 servings of dairy so far this challenge.

Writing: I'm going to have to count the newsletter as my writing credit this week. Blame the cold again. 

Healing yoga: Still 100%. 21 out of 30. 

My official measurements showed I lost 3 inches off my waist in 2 months. My end-of-month picture really shows progress compared to end of June. I am only 2 pounds away from moving out of the Obese category (per BMI) and into merely Overweight category. I'm going to continue logging sugar and diary until I meet that goal.

Fear me, scale. I'm gonna get the better of you!

Cheers and good luck, all!

HH 

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Week 6 Fitness Summary:

I did a proper lunge! In fact, I did several proper lunges. My fitness challenge worked!!!

I really thought I was going to fail, because I did a practice proper lunge last week, and totally failed to do even 1. However, I might have been weak due to my cold. This week, I tried again, and did it! Whahoo! 

Final workout stats, Week 6 of challenge #2:

Squats: 8/9/9 full, remainder assisted (chair, 15/16/15 per set)

Pushups: 6/8/6 knee, remainder incline (11 per set, plus one "reverse" pushup at start of set)

Lunges: 5/4/3 proper, remainder assisted (10 per leg per set)

Dumbbell rows: 13x3 at 18 pounds

Plank: 35/35/30 seconds 

Below were my starting stats from my first Recruit workout, for comparison:

Squats: 10/7/5 full, remainder assisted

Pushups: 10 wall, 10 incline, 10 knee

Lunges: 20x3 assisted

Dumbbell rows: 10x3 18 pounds

Plank: 20/20/15 

I should add, I was working the entire time with a knee injury. It's been slowly and steadily healing, but I have to be careful and do super perfect form on the squats and lunges so I don't hurt myself. I expect my reps will increase once the knee is back to 100%. 

Main quest:

I dropped an awesome 11 pounds on this challenge, 1.5 inches off both my waist and my hips just in the last 6 weeks. I still don't trust my caliper measurements-- I hope someone at Camp Nerd Fitness will show me how to use them properly. However, according to the Navy's body fat calculator, body fat dropped from an initial reading of 47% (start of quest) down to 40% as of today. I have lost 20 pounds altogether since starting my quest in May. 

Tomorrow I'll do my Challenge #2 Wrap-up, but I won't have any more fitness entries because tomorrow is a rest day. I feel really great about this challenge and the progress I made despite working around injury and illness. It's the "slow and steady wins the race" adage in action.

I'd like to thank my fellow Rebels for your support along the way. You are awesome. Best wishes for your own challenge successes!

HH

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Great job!  Really cool that you are going to the NF camp too.

Thank you! I'm getting together my costumes this weekend for CNF. Busy couple of weeks ahead; I'm going to gather my materials bit by bit so I can be prepared. This will be fun!

Level 9 Ranger

TheCutLasses-treasure_zps93cc7a43.png

Ye be right impressive with yer attitude an' yer improvements this challenge! Ye be finishin' this challenge out strong, n' ye deserves a little treasure from the CutLasses, via the thread o' the Level 1 Support Squad of AWESOME!

WP_20140314_019-e1403527905569.jpg

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I continue to regress in time; I have now walked the clock back to March 2012. I'm feeling very jazzed.  

Week 6/Challenge wrap-up: Work slammed me! It does that. I hate staying up until 10:30 to finish something, and then go in to an 8:30 meeting. Yuck. But that's how it goes. My Fitness commitment kept me on track, but my writing side-quest suffered. 

Main Quest: Totally thrilled that I lost 11 pounds this challenge. Navy BMI has me at 40% body fat, and the calipers say 26mm which is 36%. Measurements this morning say I lost 3 inches off my waist and 3 off my hips since mid-July. I'm really enjoying my new look. :)

Lunge: I did it! I trained myself up to a proper lunge, despite an ongoing knee injury (slowly improving) and a cold (totally killed). It feels really great, and surprising, that I can accomplish something seemingly impossible in only 6 weeks. Next challenge, I'm going after the proper pushup!

Dairy:  I think my metrics were wrong. I aimed for <= 1 serving per day. When I couldn't control my diet, I'd get all sorts of double or triple hits on dairy, despite being nearly dairy free most of the time. I'm going to repeat this challenge next time, but this time track it as <= 6 servings per week. That will allow the dairy-free abundance to make up for the few days I can't control. I'm going after dairy because I think that's a good way to cut calories from my diet, and (ahem) I still need to lose. 

Writing: My hideous schedule squeezed this out, although at least having the challenge in place got me to do some writing. I'm looking forward to a writers retreat later this week, where I will in 3 days write more than in the last 6 weeks. Sad, but true. I need to work on life/work balance for this one.

Healing yoga: 100%. Today is day 30 out of 30. Whahoo! I'm sure the healing yoga helped with my plank scores and the lunges. 

This is my second challenge, but the first complete challenge since I only joined Nerd Fitness a couple of months ago. So I need to allocate the remaining 5 points to level up to Level 3. (I'm Level 8 at the Nerd Academy; not sure how to reconcile these, so I'm going to keep the forum challenges separate). 

Charisma +2 - C'mon, I look heaps better!

Strength +1 - for hanging in there and working out on a regular schedule

Stamina +1 - ditto; it will get a test in 3 days when I hike 7 miles up a mountain. :)

Wisdom +1 - for making healthy adjustments during setbacks that kept me on course

I want to thank my Accountabilibuddies for cheering me on, and for sharing your own stories about your successes and setbacks. It's all part of life, but the intention will get us to our goals. 

Happy End of Challenge, everyone!

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

TheCutLasses-treasure_zps93cc7a43.png

Ye be right impressive with yer attitude an' yer improvements this challenge! Ye be finishin' this challenge out strong, n' ye deserves a little treasure from the CutLasses, via the thread o' the Level 1 Support Squad of AWESOME!

WP_20140314_019-e1403527905569.jpg

Starsapart, you rocked my morning! Arr, thank'ee, matie! Only I'm not going to bury this treasure; I'm going to wear it proudly on my sleeve! That will build up some awesome biceps, too. :D

Cheers. I appreciate it. 

HH

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Starsapart, you rocked my morning! Arr, thank'ee, matie! Only I'm not going to bury this treasure; I'm going to wear it proudly on my sleeve! That will build up some awesome biceps, too. :D

Cheers. I appreciate it. 

HH

Yer welcome!  Mayhap we be sailin' again next challenge - always on the lookout fer new recruits, if ye be interested........ ;)

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Absolutely! You're a tough act to follow. Very inspiring. :)

Level 9 Ranger

Taking a leaf from Forkboy (he is my guide), I'm going to continue making notes in this thread until the next challenge begins. 

To start, I will post my weight regress/progress this year. See if you can guess when I joined Nerd Fitness.

gallery_30390_1390_4608.png

Happy challenge lull, everyone!

HH

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Ooh that is cool. :)  It is off MFP right?  I have a FitBit scale and FitBit and MFP 'talk' to each other so I get extra graphs from each, in addition to my own.  Can't get a enough!

Here is my MFP graph over the last year.  You can see I have a similar pattern as you, but with two 'starting points' associated with NF.

mfpgraph.PNG

edit--the first time I started NF was in late July of 2013, so that data is not there, but it was around 205 too...

• Like 2

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

It is off MFP right?  I have a FitBit scale and FitBit and MFP 'talk' to each other

Yes, MFP. I was looking at FitBit, but it looked like too much work to track. I'm strung out, over-extended, so I use MFP as a "general" way to track my progress. I'm not granular about my exact food/exercise; I aim for ballpark. That's the best I can do right now, but it's good enough. I really like the "Barrel off Niagara Falls" that starts in August. I love this diet!

In other exciting news, I can pull up (but they're tight) the pants I wore to interview at my job 4 years ago. That's a nice milestone, because I bought those pants new to land the job (it actually worked; the VP was impressed with how I dressed). So that's a nice way of correlating the "new me" with my old clothes, because the weight is not a good enough measure by itself. I'm rearranging myself. Yay!

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Okay, super-late adder to Challenge #2:

I have decided to Walk to Mordor for Challenge #3, because my pool will be closed (*sniffle, whimper*) and I need some other daily cardio. 

Because Challenge #3 has not officially begun, I wanted to record my 5.3 miles here. I have officially walked from Bag End to The Green Dragon in Bywater. I have distances for points all through the Shire. It should show lots of progress until I reach Wilderland. Then there will be a lot of "still walking to Bree... really, still walking." 

Level 9 Ranger

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines