Deadlift

I'm teaching myself from books. Daughter took a form check of my first deadlift today. Not much weight, just working on the movement. Dammit, I wish I'd asked her to film my OHP and squat too now. Ah well. Another time maybe. Does anyone have any comment on this? I had an idea it was meant to be in two stages - straighten the knees then straighten at the waist but I couldn't seem to separate one from t'other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If5qvq5aDKE

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

First thought, your back is good and straight. Nice.

The bar should follow up your shins as you straighten your legs (which you did well). Then it will stay close as you if you thrust your hips towards the bar and lift with your back (which, like you said, you didn't do - perhaps when you do this, you'll feel the lift change from legs to back easier). Also, make sure your shoulders are back and down at the end (you are not fully extending your spine). You had good control coming down.

So, keep at it!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

You really need more weight on the bar to even do a form check on the pull. The setup requires anough weight for you to get tight before the bar breaks the floor. From what I can see here however, you are setting up a bit too far from the bar, and you aren't pushing your hips through at lockout. Notice you are still flexed at the hips at the top, which means when you have 315 in your hands it will all be resting on your lower back instead of driving down to your feet in a straight line. Here is the best deadlift setup video I've seen:

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

You really need more weight on the bar to even do a form check on the pull. The setup requires anough weight for you to get tight before the bar breaks the floor. From what I can see here however, you are setting up a bit too far from the bar, and you aren't pushing your hips through at lockout. Notice you are still flexed at the hips at the top, which means when you have 315 in your hands it will all be resting on your lower back instead of driving down to your feet in a straight line. Here is the best deadlift setup video I've seen:

http://youtu.be/Syt7A23YnpA

Riptoe is great. Good vid, thanks, El Exorcisto.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Ok let's try this again. Here are some videos my *ahem* personal trainer took of me doing deadlift number 2

http://youtu.be/Z3jJT6HAQV4

Followed by a Squat.

http://youtu.be/hu2_XeBZqns

Actually this isn't a very typical Squat for me. Someone had left a bar out with a towel wrapped around it and big rubber plates on it and I just used that, which made it awkward to do a low bar Squat with thumbs on top so I'm not doing my normal here, but I think my legs are doing what they normally do.

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Your deadlift looks fine, although you should lose the shoes.

You're squatting a mile high. Lose the shoes and focus on hitting depth. Depth is defined by the crease of your hip dropping to or below the level of your knee. In the video it looks about 3" or so high.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Your deadlift looks fine, although you should lose the shoes.

You're squatting a mile high. Lose the shoes and focus on hitting depth. Depth is defined by the crease of your hip dropping to or below the level of your knee. In the video it looks about 3" or so high.

Thanks, EE. I'm reassured that I'm only doing a couple of things wrong and those are easy changes to make.

Your deadlift looks decent enough. Nothing seems out of the range of acceptance. I can't tell too much, but if you can control the speed of the downward section, that would help keep your muscles active.

Your squat isn't too bad. Like El Exorcisto said, you're not going low enough. I'm not sure of your flexibility, but your toes should eventually be pointed much more forward - like your big toe is facing front and then the other toes veer off to the side. Also, are you screwing your feet into the ground, outwards, to stabilize your body? If your feet are screwed into the ground, your butt tight, and your back neutral, you should have the makings of a really nice squat.

Looking good. Keep pumping!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way