• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

signalguy

Children Grappling Outrage

yh i saw it in the paper... it's been around for a while now i reckon, saw it a few years ago as well, even a few girls involved. funny how people get angry at this stuff yet love films like 'the karate kid' and get their 5 year olds into karate...

Essentially what it seemed to boil down to (and it almost felt like the reporter was going to say it after he mentioned that there was nothing illegal about it) was that it didn't look right. I imagine if you asked most of the people who objected to it why they objected to it you wouldn't get a straight or decent argument out of them. They all just see the cage in a darkened room and assume it's some kind of sinister form of child abuse simply because of the appearance and the fact that many of the fans/trainers/parents have shaved heads and are not particularly well spoken. They might claim that the kids are being goaded on by the crowd but I played enough football games as a kid with parents on the sideline shouting abuse to know that it is not exclusive to MMA. If those kids had been in a sports hall, dressed in gis and participating in a BJJ competition (which is essentially what that was) I'd struggle to believe that there would be any kind of uproar about it

They have to sell "news". Journalism is going down the drain as the economic model is cratering in the online transition. I thought the interweb would democratize information, but it seems that quantity has entirely replaced quality.

The whole stigma around "cage" fighting is so stupid. The cage is actually safer than fighting in a ring or in a open hall as anyone will tell you that's either been thrown out of a ring or into some chairs at their local school hall as opposed to being pushed into a padded wire mesh wall.The word cage i think just lexically triggers thoughts like "dangerous" and animalistic in peoples minds. I have seen five year olds fighting here in Thailand with muay thai. its hilarious. they are swinging and kicking at each other and missing by a mile. they do it for about 30 sec a round for 2 rounds. the one that almost tapped the other one the most times wins. no one even cried.lol it kinda looks like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3BsnFCUIk And also what centurion said. :)