Little Puffs of Air (to re-inflate me? does that metaphor work at all?)

Lammis

Hellooooooo....

Well, for those of you that perchance glanced at my last challenge they will notice that I went from Shanghai > London > Canada.  So now I'm in Canada and by the end of this challenge I will go back to Shanghai (yay summer holidays!!!).  My last challenge focused on being centered, happy and as non-stressed out and healthy as possible during those weeks.  It went fairly well for the first part of it, but by the time I got back to Canada I had an epic, epic burnout and spent about a week being a piece of exhausted flesh.  That part is mostly OK now, but what I would like to gear up for is going back to Shanghai.  And the thought of that makes me want to grab the kid and hide in the woods. 

1.  I don't want to go back to Shanghai.

2.  I don't want to go back to Shanghai.

3.  Seriously?  We were not supposed to be in Shanghai this long.

I've been away from Canada for almost 12 years now, that part is fine.  But I was NOT supposed to get stuck in one place this long.  A few years ago we were supposed to go to Brazil, then it was India, then it was Vietnam.  Now...meh.  Shanghai for another few years.  

OK, the positive parts are I have a fairly good job (which was very, very frustrating last year but they've PROMISED me certain changes this year which should make it better), I have a fantastic place to live, great friends there, a good support network and a serious quantity of vacation time throughout the year.  Things could absolutely be worse.  

Also, right now I'm going to an AMAZING gym that is kicking my ass in all sorts of awesome ways and I'm totally loving.  Air is clean, kid is happy, food is good, I get to see my family and it's a good, long visit.

The goal:

Go back to Shanghai happy to go, knowing that I've set things up for myself so that it will be a good school year.  I'll have enough support, the kid will be getting everything he needs to keep thriving, and we have plans for some awesome holidays.  

Mini-goals:  1 tiny goal per week

Week 1: Work out 4 times (I'll be away from gym at my mom's place, so this is a little tricky), hand in papers (finishing up my masters credits) two days early

Week 2: Shop for food, don't buy any unnecessary crap.  

Week 3: Have fun with b/f while he's in town!  Poutine only twice.  Go out on at least two dates sans kid.

Week 4: Keep working out!

Week 5: Remain sane while packing, travelling on a plane with a toddler on lap.  Meditate at least 10 min per day.  

Week 6: Do not sink into depressed coma when returning to Shanghai, see friends, enjoy life, sign up for gym.

Daily Goals:

Keep refrigerator free from gross food

Do not go to bed with dishes in sink

Buy one of those swiffers (f you environment!) for the kitchen floor.  I have the reusable pads in Shanghai, but not here

Keep bathroom clean

Meditate daily using Omvana app if nothing else

Big Goals:

Retail Therapy:

Only purchase the following (these are MAXIMUM numbers, I don't shop in Shanghai, it's all over priced crap and I'm really trying to reduce my shopping foodprint).  It's soo easy to overshop when I'm here, but I want to buy fewer clothes overall, but more that are better quality that will last more than a season without turning to dust/unwearable professionally.  So I really save my yearly clothing budget for when I'm here, and overall I feel like I shop a lot less.  Also, I am personally trying to boycott any shop that does not meet minimum safety requirements in their manufacturing, which sadly cuts out quite a few (say good bye to H&M, Gap, Old Navy).  

-good quality shirts for work X4

-good quality skirts for work X2

-sandals for work, flats for work

-tshirts X4 (literally I have zero right now, I just threw out my last one)

-a good school bag

-a few new workout tops

Talk to the man: 

Make a specific list of what needs doing week to week and work out a schedule with b/f on how to do it.  This year I was 'housewife of the year' despite working a full time job.  This is not cool. 

Date night.  It's happening.  I mean, with my b/f.  This is more a him thing than me thing, but for our relationship it needs to be a 'we' thing or there isn't going to be much left.  

Kid:

OMG we have so much fun together, and I really hate going back to work but I know it's sooo necessary for both of us.  So, we're going to keep doing Music Together, and I would like to find him at least one more weekly thing we can do together.  I think soon he can start to help out more with food choices and planning, but he's just a toddler!

Me!  All me!!!

Keep working out!  I have a lot of resources I can use (I bought some very cool DVD sets before I came away for the summer I haven't touched, really), I want to keep on working out like I'm doing here (more weights than I've ever used before), get in some yoga where I can, and maybe even back to Muay Thai a little.  I have even suggested we go to Muay Thai on date night since that's where we met to begin with.  

Make a gratitude board for our apartment in Shanghai.  I'm not at all crafty, but I'm pretty sure I can handle this.  I think it involves glue and some cardboard.  

No grading, I just do it or I don't.   I could make a rubric and see where my 'areas of opportunity' are, but I don't know if that would help.  I'll think about it.  Dang, I need to get this paper finished, all I can think of is rubric and learning challenges.  

Tomorrow is very soon, I think I'm ready.  

The picture is my dad, lifting my kid.  

post-8660-0-10298300-1406509378_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Level 3 - Person who doesn't really understand what stats are.  I know, you've explained it...

Hi Lammis!  It sure looks like you have a ton of goals going for yourself.  Don't get too burned out or beat yourself up too much if you can't complete them all.

Best of luck to you as the new six week challenge begins!

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Best wishes on your challenge. I have to say, I am seriously jealous that you get to spend time there. I've been all over, but China, and being a practitioner of Taoism... well that would just rock!

Don't get too overwhelmed and remember that if you stumble, it's not the end of the world, pick yourself up, dust off and keep moving forward :)

• Like 1

People always say, "When the time is right..." or "I'm waiting for the perfect..." Guess what the right time never comes along, the perfect moment, guy, gal or opportunity will never drop into your lap. Don't wait, start now. Do what is necessary, then what's possible... and suddenly you're doing the impossible.

Wayward Son

Level 1 Barbarian Shaman

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

Wayward Son on Facebook | Wayward Son on Fitbit

Weight Loss : Current weight (240lbs) Goal weight (185lbs)

0%
0%

Current WIP: Amidst Broken Hearts Current Word Count (16,353) Goal Word Count (75,000)

22%
22%

Good luck, Lammis.  Your dedication to your son is amazing.  Keep up the great work!

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Welcome back Lammis!

You have it all figured out and I think that the  catch phrase is:

"The goal:

Go back to Shanghai happy to go, knowing that I've set things up for myself so that it will be a good school year.  I'll have enough support, the kid will be getting everything he needs to keep thriving, and we have plans for some awesome holidays. "

There are a lot of different parts in the writeup above and if I understand it correctly you will be in Canada for a while longer and then go back. Maybe (for yourself) make the separation between the different parts more clear.

Also, I can completely relate to the "no grading" statement but at least for me life isn't like that. Sometimes things don't work out as planned in spite of the greatest intentions. Think it over.

Let's have a great challenge!

• Like 1

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Oh man, I am not doing well with the writing part of this challenge.  I've never been a journaler, but I suppose this is pretty close.

Workouts:  Doing them.  Awesome.  Loving them.  Talk to Mogi at our very first NF meet up ever about them ad nauseum till he asked me if I got commission on this gym.  I do not!!!!  Also, Mogi is a fantastic human being and I enjoyed myself a ton.  And he called me adorable.  Adorable???  Really?  I'll take it!

Yesterday my workout was "express #2" which involved doing 20 kettle bell swings (I used 30 lbs since 35 is pushing it for that number of them for me) then 12 pushups, then 20 swings, 11 pushups etc.  My full pushups are awesome now.  I think I have pretty good form and I'm way proud of myself for that.  But my left trap felt kind of odd in warmup, I rolled it for a bit, it felt better, but today it's sore.  I have physio at 2:30 so I'm just going to rest until then.  A day off is OK!

Went to bed with dishes in the sink.  Only a few.  But still.

Eve, I am printing that one out.  Thanks!

The Man arrives tomorrow night...it's been a pretty rough 6 weeks.  Not sure how it's going to go, but here's hoping we can salvage things into a great holiday for the family.  

• Like 1

Level 3 - Person who doesn't really understand what stats are.  I know, you've explained it...

Thanks, I'm pretty nervous.  It seems dumb to be nervous about seeing someone I generally live with, and have for over four year, and have a child with...but there it is.

Kettle bells...if only they rang as some kind of positive affirmation as you use them.

Today I was told that I have to increase my weights that I'm using.  This is like...I don't even know.  What?  What???

I'm absurdly excited by this.  When I started I just figured it would be a fun thing to do for a month, but I might be truly addicted?  Is that OK?

Right now (just for the record)

Dead lift squats with 25 lbs DB/50 bar > next time will up to 30

kettle bell swings 16 kilos/35 lbs (up from 30lbs)

chest presses 15 lbs (that was hard, did not care for that)

um...?  I forget what else I did today.

I think I just have to add a little more and see what happens.

And my shoulder is working itself out with some help from physio, yay!  Handstands will come next, I mean...eventually.

Man arrives in an hour...nerves, nerves.

• Like 1

Great job!  :D

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

How are things going, Lammis?  :)

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

Tell me how the wardrobe thing is going. Any insights on this?

via smoke signals from my Fire

&,
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines