Teirin spends some time in the engine room

Teirin

About the only thing I'm doing at 5 am is staggering out to the kitchen for something to eat so I can get back to sleep.

Morning:

100 Jumping Jacks

2x10 Pushups

2x20 Lunges

2x 2x1 Pullups

2x10 Rolling Pistol Squats

2x5 Hanging Leg Raises

Stretching

Judo class - happened but it was rather light.  We worked on a few things, discussed kata gradings with Sensei briefly when he was by, and got some club stuff sorted.  I am counting it but it wasn't one of our good hard workouts.

Now, off to sort a few things out before tomorrow.  Meditation before bed :-)

• Like 4

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Judo class - happened but it was rather light.  We worked on a few things, discussed kata gradings with Sensei briefly when he was by, and got some club stuff sorted.  I am counting it but it wasn't one of our good hard workouts.

Light still counts.  Once in a while we need the lighter stuff.  It helps us to really appreciate the heavy stuff more.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Light still counts.  Once in a while we need the lighter stuff.  It helps us to really appreciate the heavy stuff more.  

I would have liked a harder workout but my training partner (only other one to show up for class) had strained his shoulder and we didn't want to make it any worse.  Some club issues needed to be sorted anyway before classes formally restart.  We're handling a few things differently this year. 

Still, got to re-introduce him to O Soto Guruma which will be a fantastic throw for him :-) 

In rather exciting news, someone new has taken over as head of our provincial Judo organization and is making some neat changes.  One of them is introducing kata competitions to our area.  I see this as a really positive step into bringing some of the more Martial Art side back and balancing the sport side more.  Yes, it will still be competition but it will hopefully make kata something that is more widely practiced around here.  My training partner and I are gleefully plotting working on other kata and potentially competing. 

Sensei would love it if we would compete in regular tournaments as well but until they introduce the Masters' division around here (AKA too damned old to go to the Olympics), we're disinclined to get between the late teen/twenty-somethings and their shot at making it big.  We've both got jobs/responsibilities/family (him) and can't afford to get broken.

Additional side note, I found a quiet spot at work where I could go to meditate for a few min if/when things get crazy.  I likely won't need it much but it does sometimes get crazy around here and some distance and calm would help.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Dropping in to say hi, sounds like you're doing awesome as always...and thank you Twilight for the link (my girl wants a hoop but refuses to buy one! lol)

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Ooooh, Master's division. Sounds great. And great work finding a meditation spot. :) There's several around here, but they're mostly outside, so it's challenging in the colder months to find a quiet spot.

Minimum age is 30 for the assorted Masters divisions.  We find this hilarious.  I do hope they introduce it around here.  I've only heard of it being used in Ontario and Quebec though it's probably elsewhere as well.

Yep, it's just an unused office but it's quiet and I'd get left alone there. 

Great news about your judo organization! You will have some new things to work on. :)

It sounds like meditation is working for you. Hmmm. I have some ideas on how I might implement that...

There's a lot of excitement over the change.  I'm thinking it'll be very good for us.

It's really nice.  I hope you try it and it helps you :-)

This morning:  2 sets again.

100 Jumping Jacks

2x10 Pushups

2x20 Lunges

1x2/2x1 Pullups

2x10 Rolling Pistol Squats

2x5 Hanging Leg Raises

Stretching

Today's walking (Mini-challenge for today):  ~45 min and Google maps says it was about 2.2 km each way so 4.4 km total.  A fair chunk of it is a hill.

This evening:

100 Jumping Jacks

3x20 burpees (Mini-challenge for Monday)

3x1 min wall sit  (Mini-challenge for Tuesday)

Yoga:  Happy Feet video for stability and leg strength.  It was a good class.  There were some hard poses (for me).  I love some of the things yoga instructors say during class.  They're ridiculous in general but make sense in context.

Meditation:  did not actually happen last night.  It did tonight.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

That's awesome!

Also, don't discount the power of moving meditations as well.

Moving meditation is not something I'm really familiar with. 

being able to destress at work is the nicest thing - even if its jsut a simple walk in the sunshine. you're very own private mediation spot sounds heavenly :)

Yep, not sure how often it will be used but it's good to have available.

Dropping in to say hi, sounds like you're doing awesome as always...and thank you Twilight for the link (my girl wants a hoop but refuses to buy one! lol)

Hi!  Thank you.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Glad you found a zen-place at work.  And even more glad you have good news on the judo front!  That sounds exciting!

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Wahoo for changes in your judo organization!

Nice walk too. Can't wait for it to be nicer here so I can get out walking again

• Like 1

Race: Dwarf. Class: Warrior. Level: 4 STR: 9 DEX: 4 STA: 5 CON: 7 WIS: 8 CHA: 2

Daily Quest Battle Log

Challenge 1: BBWW will be my bitch Browncoat

Challenge 2: Calling in the Cavalry Knights of the GSPC

Challenge 3: K.I.S.S. Knights of the GSPC

Challenge 4: Back in Black  C25K & Zombies, Run! Champions

Challenge 5: It's my Strong Hand

"So that's everything huh. no weapons, no friends, no hope. take all that away and what's left?

Me"

This.

Nice hill walk! ;)

Every work day.  I like it.

This morning: 3 sets this time.

100 Jumping Jacks

3x10 Pushups

3x20 Lunges

1x2/2x1/2x1 Pullups

3x10 Rolling Pistol Squats

3x5 Hanging Leg Raises

Stretching

This evening:

100 Jumping Jacks (warmup)

Striking: 5 sets

25ea punches

25ea front snap kick

Really need to get Chris to teach me more stuff to practice.

Judo:

25ea generic turn-ins

3x 25ea Hane Goshi turn ins (worst throw, mini-challenge)

Stretching

Meditation will happen before bed.

My vacation time appears to actually be happening.  This time tomorrow, I will be off work for ten days (weekend, week off, weekend, stat holiday). Awesome.

Relevant to theme, was distracted before workout reading Jewel Staite's AMA on Reddit.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Ten days! Yay!

What will you be doing for ten days?? :)

Enjoying the quiet life, mostly.   Lots of reading, sleeping, time with friends, some study time.  My Grandmother's Birthday is on Sunday so I'll be heading to that.  Temperance is going to be very appropriate as the mini-challenge for that day :-D

Actually, if he was teaching you karate, there might not be much more to teach. :tongue:

Also, moving meditation is moving in time with your breath and letting your body just flow. Like dancing to music when you know nobody can see you. :D

Well, there are other kicks and blocks.  So there's that.

Heh, I already do the dancing part but it only ever results in me looking like an idiot.  Will try doing it in a more meditative way.

I love NB news sometimes:  We get articles about Moose sex corridors.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

NB?  Really?  Whereabouts?  I was just there last year, hit NB, NS, and PEI

Fredericton, and I usually end up in Ottawa at least once per year.  Have to see how many Nerds are there next time I'm in town.  Would be cool to meet more.

A week off sounds lovely. I hope you get to do fun things that you have been putting off.

Yep!  Knitting and maille and reading (lots of that) and video games.  It'll be great.  I'm counting down the hours at work :redface-new:

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

10 days off. That sounds wonderful. Knitting and video games sound great together somehow. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines