Climbing Right to the Top

This is my second challenge, first one with the Assassins.

One of those unique story things everyone else is adding:

The sun is setting on the horizon, casting luminous shadows on the rocks. The town below in a soundless rest, recovering from the previous battle. Climber_girl (I need a new username) smoothly unfolds her map and looks on to the next land, eager for new challenges and obstacles to conquer.

Main Goal: To build core and upper body strength and be able to do a pull up by the end of this challenge.

A-pullup-challenge-are-you-in.jpg

I just did the Mud Ninja this past weekend and discovered I really really really need to work on upper body strength. I did some strength training the last challenge but definitely not enough, I need to step it up so I'm going to actually break it down this time. Also, rock climbing is my life so it's hard to find time to fit in running.

I am into races, especially mud and obstacle ones. So far I have completed 3 mud OCR's this year and have another one in mind for September and one in October.

August 7-15 I'll be going to Quebec with some ladies from my hiking group for a week of hiking, whale watching, kayaking, possibly climbing, and whatever else we get into. I'll definitely be doing enough exercise that week even if I stray from that listed below so as long as I continue to be active that week, I won't have a penalty.

Side Quest 1: Strength (4pts)

-Do at least 50 squats 4 days a week (1pt)

-Do 20 push ups (no matter how bad) 4 days a week (1pt)

-Dumbbell lifts 3 times a week (1pt)

-Sit ups 4 times a week (1pt)

-These can all be throughout the day, doesn't have to be all at once

Side Quest 2: Walking (5pts)

- Walk on breaks/lunch at work (5pts, one for each day, as long as I get at least one walk in at work)

Side Quest 3: Climbing (3)

-Since climbing is my life and I do it 2-5 times a week anyways, I just want to improve strength, endurance and technique.

-With the strength training from side quest 1, I want to be able to get stronger and improve my core and be able to climb some overhanging routes

-A minimum of once a week will be spent working on Lead sport climbs.

Life Quest: Clean! (1pt)

-I am never home so my room has gotten quite... messy. I do a decent enough job at keeping up with dishes and sometimes (sometimes) laundry but the table in the dining/living room has turned into something that I just throw everything on and don't even get me started on my bedroom. By the end of this challenge I should hopefully not have to repeat this quest.

Total: 13pts

Week 1:

Strength: 4pts as I succeeded in doing squats, push ups, etc and working on trying to do pulls up every time I'm at my climbing gym

Walking: 5pts I've walked on breaks and or lunch every day at work and have even finally gotten a coworker or two or so (depending on when) to go out with me for once! It only took all summer to do but they're finally deciding that being outside on your break is better than sitting at your desk (which we already do for 8+ hours a day anyways)

Climbing: 3pts I did mostly climbs on the Lead wall this week and even went for two harder routes which I took some falls on, but hey, I'm improving

Level 2

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge: 1

I have yet to figure out how to make a much better signature

Every Mountain Top Is Within Reach If You Just Keep Climbing

~Barry Finlay

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Yup it went well, except for a friend that jumped into a mud pit and broke her leg :(

It also made me realize I really need to work on more upper body strength.

There was an obstacle where we had to hang upside down on a rope and go over a body of mud and water (so awesome!) There were also a couple obstacles with slacklines which were awesome but impossible for anyone to walk across with bottom of shoes caked in mud and everyone already so shaky lol I used to be pretty good with balance. I have no idea how many mud pits we had to climb in and out of. This was my third mud race and I must say that at every one there have always been awesome people pausing in their race to help complete strangers on difficult obstacles. I'm going to try and see if I can do another one in October. Oh, and after the Mud Ninja, I got home just in time to take a really quick shower and head to a wedding!

Yeah that was a lot of squats, I was just a little eager lol I lowered it though. I figured I could always do more when I wanted :)

4pts for strength (1 for squats, 1 for push ups, etc) 7 for running/walking, 3 for climbing, and 1 for the life quest to round it up. I may alter it later.

Level 2

Current Challenge

~Barry Finlay

Awesome. Another assassin seeking a pull-up!

Welcome to the guild and good luck on your challenge. I am super jealous of the whale watching and kayaking you will be doing. That sounds just delightful.

• Like 1

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

Woohoo!  The guild is being flooded with a bunch of climbers!  

Where are you on your pull-up progression?  Can you do slow negatives?  I've found that pull ups on a pull up bar don't really translate that well into climbing strength, since you're not effectively training your grip, too.  Do you ever just do pull-ups/negatives at the climbing gym using some moderately juggy holds?  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Awesome. Another assassin seeking a pull-up!

Welcome to the guild and good luck on your challenge. I am super jealous of the whale watching and kayaking you will be doing. That sounds just delightful.

Woohoo!  The guild is being flooded with a bunch of climbers!  

Where are you on your pull-up progression?  Can you do slow negatives?  I've found that pull ups on a pull up bar don't really translate that well into climbing strength, since you're not effectively training your grip, too.  Do you ever just do pull-ups/negatives at the climbing gym using some moderately juggy holds?  

Tuesday night I started on my pull up mission. There's hang boards at the gym and on one side I'm able to use the door in front of me (or the holds on the climbing wall next to me) to push off of and get up and do pull ups (or slow negatives) that way. At first I was using the wood board that they're attached to because it's easier, but I'm going to start using the different hang boards to help with my grip, too. I plan on doing that again when I'm there tonight. I'm on my way :)

I'm also editing this challenge, it's too much for the time I have plus with only being the second one. I'm going to focus on running in a future challenge instead. I want to focus mainly on climbing since the best climber I know of here is moving and it's up to a couple of us to step up and be able to set the routes when we go outdoors.

So far this week I've been successful, getting out more squats than I intended, getting started on pull ups, and twice so far this week getting a coworker to go on a walk on break with me instead of sitting around on breaks yet again (we already do enough sitting since we have desk jobs, although I'm always getting up and making excuses to walk to the farthest bathroom or just walk around and back)

• Like 1

Level 2

Current Challenge

~Barry Finlay

I had a successful first week. I made all my goals and tried a couple harder routes on Lead at my climbing gym. I took a couple falls but eventually made it. One step at a time. Looking forward this next week!

Thursday morning I start the 15 hours car ride (9hours Thursday and 6 ish hours Friday) to Quebec! I'll be back the following Saturday so that week will be a little different challenge-wise but I should be even more active than I normally am so I'll see how it goes. Can't wait to spend a week in the woods with about 10 other women going kayaking, hiking, possibly climbing and zip lining, and whatever else we can get into!

Level 2

Current Challenge

~Barry Finlay

Getting ready to leave soon for my trip to Quebec! As for the next week of the challenge I'll be hiking, kayaking, climbing, and more so I'll already be getting all my fitness/activity and more in. Can't wait!

Level 2

Current Challenge

~Barry Finlay

can't wait to hear how the trip went!!!

Sounds like an amazing trip! Have fun.

Yay, have a nice trip :)

Enjoy your trip!  Climbing, hiking, and kayaking sound so awesome!

It was an amazing trip! First off, EVERYONE in Quebec speaks French. No one in my group does. Language barrier made communication interesting.

Sharing a 6 bedroom, 8 bed, 2 bathroom (1 shower) cabin with 10 other women surprisingly wasn't as bad as I would have thought. Of course it wasn't perfect though.

There was one other lady who was as into adventure as I am so we went off on our own most of the time for climbing and such. I did 3 via Ferrata climbs: one in the mountains (absolutely amazing view!!!) and we went across a monkey bridge which is a wire and hung upside down, the second was in a canyon and crossing rapids and waterfalls on multiple monkey bridges, the third we zip lined to the rock and then climbed up next to a waterfall. Via Ferrata is, instead of actually being on a rope, there's two caribiners hooked to your harness and you use those to move along a cable and unclip and clip into different bolts to get across the wall.

We also went kayaing which started out as a beautiful day then turned into a big storm but we kept going since the lightning looked far enough away.

Went hiking, and spent some time in the city.

Went in search of a waterfall and got lost in the woods for awhile but we found it!

Just an amazing trip that I wish I could do again.

Now I'm back and working on getting back on track with my goals here. I'll give myself a pass for last week since I was more active than normal (and on an adventure vacation) so far doing good but not much progress with the pull ups.

• Like 1

Level 2

Current Challenge

~Barry Finlay

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines