TWburn - Chasing down a dream

So, after going back and forth about a million times, I finally decided to jump into my first challenge.  20 seconds of courage, right?

I'm an almost 31 year old, stay-at-home mom to 3 year old twins.  I used to be a healthy weight, but after I separated from the military in 2007, playing WoW and living about 2 blocks from a Sonic Drive-in helped me pack on about 70lbs.  Over the last 4 years I have lost some weight here and there, and pregnancy gave me a little help along the way, but dedication hasn't been my strongest asset.  At my heaviest I was 219lbs (not pregnant). 

After some soul searching, exactly 13 days ago,  I decided to jump head first and finally change my life.  It feels completely different this time.  I have lost about 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks, and I feel more confident and dedicated than I ever have.  I feel like I am finally ready to commit to this journey to health and strength.  

Main Quest:

There are two parts to my main quest.  

Part 1: To be happy with what I see in the mirror, and feel healthy and strong. 

Part 2: To push my daughter (she has Cerebral Palsy) in a half marathon by the end of 2015!

3 Smart Quests

1- To complete 3 bodyweight workouts per week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)

A - 18 workouts | B - 17 | C - 16 | D - 15 | F - Less than 12 

Reward: A - 2 STR/2 STA | B - 1.5 STR/1.5STA | C - .75 STR/.75STA

2- To run 3 days a week, adding distance as I go

A - Complete 95% with a 5K | B - 90% with a 5K | C - 85% | D - 80% | F - Less than 75%

Reward: A - 3 STA, 2 DEX | B - 2 STA, 1 DEX| C - 1 STA

3- To track everything I eat, good or bad, and be honest about it

Pass/Fail - Track every day, Honestly!

Reward: 2 CON

Life Quest

To not dig into our savings account at all in the next 6 weeks, and throw a little bit extra in there too. 

Reward: 1 WIS

Motivation

This may sound selfish, but after the last three years of this roller coaster that is my life, I am doing this for myself, for MY happiness, so I can be a better Mother, Wife, Daughter, Sister, etc.

I want to be a better ME!

I'm very interested in joining the Scouts at the end of this challenge.  I think they are the perfect group of people to help guide me and support me to my goal of completing a half marathon with my daughter.  

• Like 5

Level 2 Half-Elf Ranger

STR - 2 | DEX - 3 | STA - 4 | CON - 7 | WIS - 5.5 | CHA - 0

Current Challenge

#1, #2TWburn (MFP), FitForMyTwins

Weight Loss Meter : Starting 184.7 lbs, Goal: 140

13.65%
13.65%

"Imagine with all your mind.  Believe with all your heart.  Achieve with all your might."

Wow! Five pounds is a great way to start off this challenge! And are you kidding me? Like lizzig said — working on these goals is probably the least selfish thing you could do since it's ultimately for your family. Do you have a certain distance in mind for your second goal? Since a half-marathon is 13 miles maybe you could work up to running 3 miles to build that stamina! 

Do you have a certain distance in mind for your second goal? Since a half-marathon is 13 miles maybe you could work up to running 3 miles to build that stamina! 

Right now, I'm working towards 3 miles.  I set my first 3 mile run for August 30th.  I am currently running 1.5 miles 3 times a week and keeping a 10:20 pace on average.  Which is significantly faster that anything I've ran since I separated from the military in 2007.  This Thursday is my first 2 mile run, then I will alternate 1.5 and 2 mile runs for a week, then increase to 2 mile runs until the end of august.  On August 30th (we will be visiting my brother out of town so my husband will run my first 3 miler with me) I will run my first 3 miler and evaluate where I'm at.  I may turn my running days into a 10K training plan at that point, or choose to focus more on endurance for a while.  

I have calendars for August/September on my fridge with all of my workouts/runs planned out and the length of each run planned as well.  At the end of September, I have every intention of signing up for a 10k.  I've been looking, and there are a few in the area.  Hopefully one falls nicely into my schedule. 

• Like 1

Level 2 Half-Elf Ranger

Current Challenge

13.65%
13.65%

"Imagine with all your mind.  Believe with all your heart.  Achieve with all your might."

Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?

- Yes, it is achievable over both short and long periods of time.  Both parts are reasonable, and completely attainable. 

Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?

- All 3 of my quests build towards my main quest.  Working out to gain strength, running to gain endurance (weight loss = bonus), so when I look in the mirror 6 weeks from now, I will be well on my way to a happier, healthier, stronger Me.  Tracking my food allows me to be more aware of what I'm eating, and help to me make better decisions. 

Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?

- My main goals may seem a bit broad to other people, but to me they are incredibly simple. 

Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?

- Absolutely.  I have 2 separate calendars to track my workouts and runs.  One on my fridge, and the other in a binder that I can take with me wherever I go, if need be.  I will be using MFP (TWburn) to track my food. 

How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?

- I re-evaluated my goals and set up a grading system for each of them.  I did have them all as pass/fail but after thinking about it, I think pass/fail for the first two would just set me up for failure.  If I were to get injured or need a day off because I'm sick, that doesn't mean that I didn't put in the effort for every other piece of the puzzle.

What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured? I will do whatever I can to replace anything I can't do.  Adjust what I'm eating to compensate for not being able to workout or run.  

Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?

- We are going out of town for Labor day, and I intend on taking my binder with me so I have my printed workouts and my calendar to track.  You don't need anything for BBWW or running except you and your workout clothes!  As far as food goes, I will be conscious of my choices and make the best choices concerning food, but I won't beat myself up if I decide to indulge.  

Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?

- Not at all.

Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?

- Despite having 3 year old twins, I have more time in my schedule than I know what to do with.  It's amazing the time you find when you break away from facebook.  Although, NF seems to be taking over!  I have started getting up earlier, and utilizing nap time for workouts.

Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?

- I'm trying to build habits.  I want strength training and running to become a huge part of my life.  I love the way I feel and after 2 weeks, I'm already seeing a huge difference in my attitude before and after my workouts.  

Level 2 Half-Elf Ranger

Current Challenge

13.65%
13.65%

You have done very well in these smart goals!

I'm going to invite you to join my accountabilibuddies team... storming the castle based around the princess bride movie. There are a few of us level 1s working together to make sure we support each other, and learn how to get the most out of the rebellion.
You are very well thought out. .. you have to be with a set of twins!

The link is in my sig line. .. you will be ready for the scouts or rangers in no time! @18ck will probably drop by from the scouts!

forget the sig line, here it is!

I have created an accountabilibuddies group for Level1s  to support each other for the next 6 weeks.  If you are interested in Storming the Castle - please come join me!

If you’d like to talk to me,  you can either check out my current challenge  Prep for Camp NF, or pm me on the board.  

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

So, 3 days a week I do a BWW.  Currently, I am on level 1, and intend to be for 2 more weeks.  Before every workout I hop on the elliptical for 20 minutes.  

So today was 20 minutes on the elliptical on weight loss mode at a 15% incline.  Completed my workout.  I upped my dumbbell rows to 30lbs from 25lbs and did all 3 sets at 30!  Step ups were EASY!  Muscle exhaustion was just about non-existent, so it may be time to step it up a notch on a few of the exercises.  Overall, was a great workout.  

Gallon of water just about gone (I drink an entire gallon every day).  Food choices were good today, and everything has been logged in MFP up to this point.  I can't say I'm not looking forward the the Paleo Shepherds pie that's currently baking in my oven!  Yum!  

Level 2 Half-Elf Ranger

Current Challenge

13.65%
13.65%

Hello,

It's shockingly and ridiculously late here in my little island so I won't go on but just to say this challenge is um... What is that phrase young people use? Oh yes: Da Bomb.

• Like 3

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Hello,

It's shockingly and ridiculously late here in my little island so I won't go on but just to say this challenge is um... What is that phrase young people use? Oh yes: Da Bomb.

This is the one I told you about, my dear....he will help you to reach your goals!

• Like 1

Adventurer by choice

Hey TWBurn, 

It looks like we are in the Storming the Castle group together!  I'm doing the body weight workout too so it will be great to hear about your progress.

• Like 1

Scarlet Legend  lvl: 1

Psalms 18:32-36

Race: Hobbit /// Class: Assassin

| STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA  1 | CON  6 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

Battle Log  ~~~  Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4

Main Quest:  Lose 30 Lbs.

10%
10%

Start: 172  Current: 169

Challenge #4

50%
50%

This is the one I told you about, my dear....he will help you to reach your goals!

Help? Well, I'm sure TWBurn will reach her own goals using her own grit and determination, but I will certainly stand by and cheer wildly while she does it.

And look I'm not in bed and I have to be up in 4 hours. Not clever. I hear you're interested in Scouts guild, is that right @TWBurn? Excellent! If you're up for a half marathon we are definitely going to be besties because we love all things runny (and swimmy, cycley....). A lot of us have worked our way up from zero to marathon and it would be cool to have you along in the journey. And the fact that your daughter is involved is brilliant too - how old is she btw?

Anyway, probably best brush my teeth now but when you have a minute, come and say hi at

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/46582-scouts-tavern-general-chat-and-questions/

*waves cheerily*

• Like 1

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Welcome aboard!

We're in the same group for accountability, right? If so, let's check in with each other on Saturdays to talk about that beginning body workout and running. I know it is hard to do these things when you are busy, and I cannot imagine how difficult it must be as a mother, but I am confident you can do it!

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

Level 3, Cylon (Humanoid IntelliScout/Ranger)

STR 6 | DEX  7 | STA 7 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 4

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (Checking in most days, weekly updates)

"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." â€• Ludwig Wittgenstein

*flails wildly*. I has a cheerleader! Woot!

@18ck, she is 3. I have two threenagers. Her brother is a typical kid, so I get to chase him around screaming at him not to stick playdoh in the dogs' ears, while she rolls around on the floor yelling, "yay yay yay"! Ha ha!

I am VERY interested in the scouts guild. I have always liked running up until recently (I'm talking last week when I hit a pace PR of 10:20). That's when I fell absolutely head over heels in love! I haven't ever run more than 2 miles without stopping, but I'm working on it! Those 3 days a week are my favorite!

I know more about running than any noob with my lack of experience should. My husband trained for a marathon, I wear newtons, and LOVE them because they encourage my natural running form. I haven't gotten shin splints once since I started running in them. I read runners world, and drool over some of the rave runs I see.

I hope you find some sleep tonight! 4 hours isn't even close to enough for me. I will check in tomorrow!

Thanks for checking in!

• Like 2

Level 2 Half-Elf Ranger

Current Challenge

13.65%
13.65%

1.75 mile run! It was HUMID this morning and I was a but slow but it still felt good!

• Like 1

Level 2 Half-Elf Ranger

Current Challenge

13.65%
13.65%

Hi TWburn! My name is Kailer and I am an Ambassador. That means I am here to help you make the most of your first Six Week Challenge! Welcome to NerdFitness – great new users like you are what keeps this place going strong :)

If you have any questions at all I am here to help you. One question you’ll ponder during your first six weeks is which guild to choose next time. Myself, I’m a proud Scout! That’s part of why I stopped by your thread – you’re interested in endurance sports, just like us. If you ever need help, answers, or high-fives from other people interested in running, come by our Tavern! The link is in my signature.  Of course, no matter which guild to which you are drawn I’ll be here to help you!

Let me know if I can do anything to help. If you feel discouraged or confused at any point during this Challenge I suggest you get in touch with myself or another Ambassador (regardless of guild!) before throwing in the towel. You have made a great choice coming to NF and we are here to help you succeed!

Honesty about even bad food is a huge challenge for me, so big it isn't even one of my goals this time. I really encourage you to work hard on that - it's a total willpower goal and I have faith in you to do it!

• Like 1

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

@Kailer, Thanks!  I'm sure you've seen me bouncing around in the Tavern the last few days!  I'm all sorts of excited!  

Yesterday afternoon, I officially started my walk to Mordor!  There are these crazy people that keep telling me...

tumblr_lvo6slcLmq1qicghzo1_r3_500.gif

Silly humans!  

Today was date day!  *gasp*  Which means I got to eat/drink whatever I want (within reason).  I did awesome!  I have a horrible problem with gorging myself when I have an "eat whatever I want" day, but I ate slow, paid attention and stopped when I was satisfied.  Which allowed me to have half of a giant apple crumble muffin that I've been craving for days!  Woo!  Score for still meeting a 1600-1800 calorie goal!  

We probably walked a total of 3 miles today, so I counted that as my conditioning, in place of my normal 20 minutes on the elliptical and then after seeing LUCY (ugh...why must they put all of the good parts in the previews?!?) we came home and I busted out my workout!  Felt AmAzInG!!!!  I feel great, AND I feel StRoNgEr!!!

Day 3 = Toast!  Burnt toast!  I like mine well done!

Level 2 Half-Elf Ranger

Current Challenge

13.65%
13.65%

I hear Mordor is lovely this time of year. Send us a postcard.

If you see someone out there in a pretty dress, that will be our mate @Shortstuff

• Like 1

Just wanted to drop by and say, I love your main quest. Keeping that wide lens perspective on not just what the scale or measurements say but how we feel about ourselves is so critical.

Looks like you're kicking butt at this challenge thus far, keep it up!

• Like 1

Lvl 1 Rebel

“When we love, we always strive to become better than we are.

When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.† 

- Paulo Coelho

Thanks to each of you! I am absolutely amazed and in awe of you all. Never in a million years did I expect all of the awesome support and kind words.

This morning I did my first 2 mile run if my self-made program. Pace was 10.09 per mile and it felt pretty incredible. I was going to wait until this evening to go, but decided that if I did wait, my chances of actually going were slim. So, I laced up and off I went.

Today marked the the downhill to my 30 days straight. I joined the challenge 13 days into my plan and the challenge has just given me that much more drive! You are all awesome and i don't want to let any of you down. It's the least I can do for you all cheering for me.

If all goes as planned I hope to have you all cheering me on, this time next year or sooner, as I train for a half marathon!

Level 2 Half-Elf Ranger

Current Challenge

13.65%
13.65%

So, the tiny humans and I packed up camp and walked another 3 miles towards Mordor this afternoon. My legs were not happy since I ran 2 miles this morning.

We are now camped out at The Prancing Pony. Seems like an okay place. It's no holiday inn, but it'll do! Hoping to get some more walking in soon.

• Like 1

Level 2 Half-Elf Ranger

Current Challenge

13.65%
13.65%

I wasn't sure if you saw the Nerd Fitness blog about Walking to Mordor.

And, here is this one for you, always need a good map:

And a warning - there is an Albino in the woods that is taking captives - be very careful!

And, I"d like you to look over your successes and misses this week, and we'll reevaluate, if needed!

You are doing amazing!

Week one is almost done!  Let's take on Week Two!

Great-Job-500x300.gif

• Like 1

Adventurer by choice

Did elliptical and BBW workout today. I skipped it yesterday because I started painting my daughters room! Horrible excuse but I rocked it out today amidst the painting and tomorrow I've got a 2 mile run!

3erudy8a.jpg

This is what I spent yesterday afternoon and all of today doing so I got some extra arm work in! Ha ha! Glad to be done with one more life quest that has been waiting to be done.

• Like 1

Level 2 Half-Elf Ranger

Current Challenge

13.65%
13.65%

2.3 mile run with my husband and both kids in the double jogger this morning! Felt awesome! Now off to find some new running gear

• Like 1

Level 2 Half-Elf Ranger

Current Challenge

13.65%
13.65%

@ChristArtist, I was looking back over this last week and as far as my goals go, I have been doing great! I have done all of my workouts and all of my runs, and then some. I added in some walking (thanks for the links!).

I think my biggest miss over this last week was some of my food choices. I tracked every single thing I are but I couldn't have made a few choices better. I was sure to watch my portions when eating thinks like pizza and wings!

• Like 1

Level 2 Half-Elf Ranger

Current Challenge

13.65%
13.65%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines