Wayne_Kent_Seago next challenge: Shoring up the weak parts

These challenges have changed my life - I don't mean that in the cliche way, I mean it literally. When I found NerdFitness, I weighed 235 and my doctor wanted to put me on cholesterol-lowering medication. Today, I weight 195 and have lowered my cholesterol almost 20 points and I am no longer in the "danger zone"

My goal for the year is to run Disney's upcoming Tower of Terror 10-miler. I found someone who signed up for the race and now has a conflict - so I'm in!!!

I started training for this run during the last challenge using the Galloway training method suggested by Disney. This method involves running and walking, but I want to run the whole thing. I can consistently run 3+ miles now, so I am not a beginner, but I want to rock this thing so I need to focus.

Here are my goals for this challenge:

1. Stamina - Train using the Galloway training schedule for the Disney Tower of Terror 10-milers. It is 3 weekly runs with two runs at 30 mins each and then a long run day beginning at 2 miles and moving up a mile a week. (Total of 18 runs)

A= 17 - 18 runs, B= 15 - 16 runs, C= 13 - 14 run, anything less than 13 is an F

2. Strength - Complete a cross-training workout 2x per week. One of the things I noticed and mentioned in my follow up to the last challenge, is that my cross training workouts were not very dynamic. I limped through the BBW with no gusto. This time, I will vary up the cross-training to include kickboxing, T25 and other higher intensity workouts.

A= 11-12, B= 9-10, C=7 - 8, anything less than 7 is an F

3. Push-ups - Push-ups are the perfect multi-muscle exercise and a good indication of strength. Over the course of the challenge I will do 1,250 push-ups.

A= 1200-1250, B = 1150-1199, C = 1100-1149, less than 1100 is an F

4. Read 20 pages of a book that will help me level up in some area of my life - I know that the most successful people read a lot. I love to read, but sometimes I get so focused on other things I forget to take the time to do something that benefits me as much as reading a book that can help my develop personally and professionally. This challenge I will read at least 20 pages of a book that focuses on personal and/or professional development at least 6 days a week. That is 36 reading opportunities over the next 6 weeks.

A= 33-36, B=30-33, C= 26-29, anything less that 26 is an F

I will be also tracking number of posts to my battle log, as that accountability keeps me motivated and on target, but it will not be counted toward the challenge. I continue to track all of my calories, but that is more for my own education on what I am eating and how much fat and stuff is in my food. I will also continue working toward increasing my ability to do pull-ups. I can do 2 neutral-grip pull-ups and do those when I take my son to the playground in our development, but not sure how that relates to standard pull-ups or chin-ups. If I am going to be successful in a mud run, I have to increase upper body strength.

Thanks to everyone in this community for your encouragement and support! Let's do this...

• Like 1

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Great set of goals.  I think I am going to try to sign up for one of those disney runs one of these days :)  I want the Star Wars one, but it sells out fast.Yes they do. 

Yes they do. The Tower of Terror sold out in about a day. I actually missed it and thought I was screwed, but I joined a Facebook group called Team Run Disney and posted a request to anyone who registered but then found out they have a conflict if they would sell me their bib. I got a lot of grief from some people on there who told me that is against runDisney rules and that I shouldn't post that, but a few hours later I received a message from someone who signed up for the run and then found out it is the weekend of her friend's wedding and she didn't want to lose out on the money (Disney does not give refunds) so it worked out for me. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

A 10 miler and 1,250 push ups. That's a great challenge to see!

You have done splendid so far, and I'm going to see you rock this challenge.

• Like 1

A 10 miler and 1,250 push ups. That's a great challenge to see!

You have done splendid so far, and I'm going to see you rock this challenge.

Thank you! 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

I have not been keeping up with posts and that is something I am going to work on (maybe for my next challenge).  Ok, results time, let's look at how I did. First, a quick refresher on what I took on for this challenge:

1. Stamina - Train using the Galloway training schedule for the Disney Tower of Terror 10-milers. It is 3 weekly runs with two runs at 30 mins each and then a long run day beginning at 2 miles and moving up a mile a week. (Total of 18 runs)

A= 17 - 18 runs, B= 15 - 16 runs, C= 13 - 14 run, anything less than 13 is an F

2. Strength - Complete a cross-training workout 2x per week. One of the things I noticed and mentioned in my follow up to the last challenge, is that my cross training workouts were not very dynamic. I limped through the BBW with no gusto. This time, I will vary up the cross-training to include kickboxing, T25 and other higher intensity workouts.

A= 11-12, B= 9-10, C=7 - 8, anything less than 7 is an F

3. Push-ups - Push-ups are the perfect multi-muscle exercise and a good indication of strength. Over the course of the challenge I will do 1,250 push-ups.

A= 1200-1250, B = 1150-1199, C = 1100-1149, less than 1100 is an F

4. Read 20 pages of a book that will help me level up in some area of my life - I know that the most successful people read a lot. I love to read, but sometimes I get so focused on other things I forget to take the time to do something that benefits me as much as reading a book that can help my develop personally and professionally. This challenge I will read at least 20 pages of a book that focuses on personal and/or professional development at least 6 days a week. That is 36 reading opportunities over the next 6 weeks.

A= 33-36, B=30-33, C= 26-29, anything less that 26 is an F

Back to my results. 

1. Stamina - completed a total of 15 runs over the duration of the challenge = B

2. Strength - completed a total of 9 cross training workouts = B

3. Push-ups - completed a total of 1255 pushups = A+

4. Reading - 34 days of reading at least 20 pages of a book (finished 4 books during challenge) = A

I feel very good about these results. My major battle continues to be my diet. I still tend to grab whatever is closest to me or give in to my cravings for salty and/or sweet snacks. Having a real problem turning down carbs, sugar and salt. I live by the scale and get pissed off when I put on weight. In terms of fitness, I need to vary my running routine, adding in more tempo runs and intervals. Also need to continue to work on strength training. My wife and I are expecting our second child in November so this upcoming challenge will be the last full one for a little bit while I focus on our new baby. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Well done on the challenge.  I am very much a convenience person I think.  If I have food that is easy, that seems to be the direction I pick.  I am getting better at it though.

And congrats on the second child.  I am a November baby, so I think it is an awesome month :D

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines