One quest at a time...

Well, I am happy to say, Day 1 is already in the books!  

Body weight circuit x 2 reps plus an impromptu short jog when Hubby and I realized we had no doggy bags part way through our walk and I had to jog back home to get some.  

Breakfast was all paleo, with chicken breast and 2 eggs (little weird, huh?) and a cup of strawberries.  I know fruit tends to be a "yellow" paleo food, but I am trying to manage my sweet tooth.  

With my work schedule being a little different (combination of day and evening shifts) I am typically struggling to get into a routine, so here is hoping I can pull it off this time. 

Onto the rest of the day of work and finding 2 more healthy meals! 

Level 5 Half-Orc Adventurer

STR 13 | DEX 4 | STA  2 | CON  13 | WIS 11 | CHA 8

Try Not. Do, or do not. There is no try. 

Challenges 1 2 3 4 Daily Battle Log    PVP: YAYOG

Day 2: Jogging complete.  I was able to do my 4 required sprints and still jog a total of 2.17 miles.  "Sprints" feel a little more like increasing my pace for a bit and then back to slower jogging, but I figure I will get comfortable just outright running again and they will feel more "sprinty" as I move along.   And then, just for good measure, I walked the dog a mile and then mowed the lawn. And now I go to work. Eek!

Planning on a paleo lunch of chicken and veggies when I get to work (probably with a fruit chaser), so then day two will be done! 

• Like 1

Day 2: Jogging complete.  I was able to do my 4 required sprints and still jog a total of 2.17 miles.  "Sprints" feel a little more like increasing my pace for a bit and then back to slower jogging, but I figure I will get comfortable just outright running again and they will feel more "sprinty" as I move along.   And then, just for good measure, I walked the dog a mile and then mowed the lawn. And now I go to work. Eek!

Planning on a paleo lunch of chicken and veggies when I get to work (probably with a fruit chaser), so then day two will be done! 

Keep it up! I had chicken and veggies for lunch today (lemon/pepper chicken and baked asparagus, specifically)!

• Like 1

Level: 2  Race: Wood Elf  Profession: Adventurer

| STR 3 | DEX 0 | STA 3 | CON 3.3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3 |

Twitter | YouFood: RaskolRebel

Day 3:  Strength circuit done x 2 and holy cow, my thighs were (and are) killin' me! Will have to ice most likely later... Also I have learned that I suck at push ups!  I can only manage 3 real ones per circuit and the other 7 become knee push-ups. So I will work really hard on that. Maybe that will be a future goal if I still can't do the full 10 by the end of 6 weeks.  Also did a 2 mile walk with the dog this morning. 

Lunch was paleo today - 2 eggs (scrambled) with salsa and avocado and 4 strips of bacon.  It felt like a very weird lunch, but I figure I only know so many paleo combinations thus far, so just go with it and get more creative as I go.  Plus shopping would be a good idea...  It looks like dinner might lean toward the paleo side too - chicken and veggies, but maybe a partial mashed-potato dish, which I know sweet potatoes are preferred. 

I managed to keep breakfast to 1/2 a bagel instead of a whole one - which is big because bagels are soooo yummy in my book. 

On the fun side, tomatoes are finally starting to ripen in our potted tomato plants. Some peppers too. And in preparation for more paleo meals, I have 12 baked eggs at the ready and I made a tray of baked rosemary/thyme sweet potatoes. (Day off today, so might as well make something!)  

Managing the sweet tooth was a little better today.  After most meals, my brain says "A little something sweet would be nice..." and I used to almost always give in.  If I need something sweet, I'm going to try and incorporate more good, dark chocolate.  

• Like 1

Yay on managing the sweet tooth! I'm doing pretty good on mine today too! 

:panda:  ::highfive::  :panda:

Nice work!  Unlike you, I am not cutting out sugar all together, so your days must be so much harder than mine!  But I am trying to be better about my sugar choices and amounts.  Keep on going! You can do it! 

• Like 1

Keep it up! I had chicken and veggies for lunch today (lemon/pepper chicken and baked asparagus, specifically)!

Do you ever grill your asparagus?  Mmmm I love it that way. We use a grill basket, little bit of oil, and spices, and it's always delicious!

• Like 1

Day 4:

Ok so far.  I have realized today that I am much more sore than I anticipated (especially thighs!) after 2 days of circuits and a day of jogging. So much so that I am afraid jogging today will put me behind in circuit training tomorrow, which I feel is a slightly higher priority for me than jogging. So I am modify this my workouts a little.  I am going to take it easy today and instead of jogging I did a 3.41 mile bike ride (mostly easy, between 10-11 mph) and I will walk a total of 2 miles by the end of it (1 mile done, 1 mile to go when Hubby gets home from work.) Also today I will do lots of stretching.  I will move jogging to Saturday morning, as I have the day off anyway and I prefer to jog in the morning when it's still relatively cool out, and I will do my bodyweight circuit tomorrow as planned, hopefully with recovered legs. :)  I will still meet my weekly goals this way of 2x jogging and 3x bodyweight circuit. 

Today's Paleo meal was grilled chicken with green beans and carrots... And I realize that green beans are technically a legume, but most paleo diets seem forgiving of them and include them.  So I figure, the more veggie choices available the better!  

Onto Day 5! Going fast! Can you believe tomorrow is AUGUST?!

Day 5:

Paleo meal for lunch again. It seems easiest to eat Paleo at work.  Our cafeteria always as 2 options for veggie sides, so I just buy those and bring along my own meat dish. :) Chicken and veggies again, but luckily my husband seasoned different chicken breasts with different seasonings, so it's not getting boring yet.  And the veggies change every day, so that's good. 

Strength training today.  Was able to do 2.5 circuits of the BBWW (I just cut all the exercise numbers in half for the 3rd round, except I did all the jumping jacks). I feel like I can do 2 circuits with a pretty good sweat and then the third round is to try and fatigue the muscles, make sure I hit everything well.  Really glad I adjusted yesterday, as today my legs were feeling a lot better and I was able to complete the exercises with what I felt was pretty good form (except push ups - working on it!)

Now let's crank it to 88 MPH and move into day 6! Week one is almost a wrap!

• Like 1

Day 6:

Jogging this morning: total distance 3.0 miles.  Sprinting (4x) throughout the jog complete.  Also took a mile walk afterwards with hubby and the pooch. 

Paleo meal (breakfast): 2 eggs, 1/2 an avocado, 1/2 sliced yellow pepper (raw).  And lots of water after the jog.

Seeing a SLIGHT movement on the scale, but not going to get over excited.  One week down, 5 to go!  Tomorrow is an intentional rest day, but maybe I will bike or something low intensity.  

Was also a little naughty today at the movie theater and split some Raisinets with my husband. But overall ate well today, and didn't overeat, so that was good.  

Grilled chicken prepped for the week and grilled veggies on deck.  Happy Day 6 everyone! 

Day 7:

Paleo meal for breakfast! And surprisingly I am not sick of eggs yet.  3 scrambled eggs (with onion, garlic and tomato), 1/2 a chicken breast and 1/2 avocado. I really wanted a bagel.  It's totally hard to cut down the carbs, but I feel pretty satisfied after eating, so there's gotta be something to it!

No specific workout planned for today.  Already took at 1 mile walk with Zoe (dog), and will likely do a short bike ride or another mile with Zoe... Or maybe even some yoga.  I have the whole day to figure it out. :)

I also plan to prep a bunch of grilled veggies to go with the chicken I helped prep yesterday (props to my hubby for grilling me a bunch of chicken).  

As for my weekly summary, all goals went as planned!  Since I forgot to weigh myself this morning prior to walking and eating, I will wait to weigh-in until tomorrow.  (most likely... I'm used to weighing in on Wednesdays, so I might stick with that plan).  And for exercise, I am up to 2.5 circuits of the BBWW and I have been able to jog 2-3 miles each time I jog (as opposed to my original goal of at least 1-2 miles).  I hope to keep this up.  

Onto week 2!

Edit: Total of 2 miles walked with the dog and 3.14 miles biked (leisurely 9-10 mph). Veggies prepped. Ready for the next mission!

• Like 2

Day 8 - 

Paleo meal: lunch - big salad with lime chicken and olive oil/vinegar for dressing. 

Workout:  Stength training day - BBWW x 3 sets.  Muscles were pretty tired at the end. 

Also did a mile walk with the dog (it started raining pretty hard so we cut it short)

Dinner ended up being 98% paleo too since that's most of what I have prepped right now - chicken, mixed grilled veggies and colcannon (potato dish - non-paleo parts are some milk and butter - we also substitute 1/2 the potatoes for boiled cauliflower, so it cuts on the carbs, and easy on the milk/butter because some recipes call for a lot!).  I just consider this meal a bonus.  Indulged in some dark chocolate after dinner, but I'm ok with it and it was a very reasonable amount. :)

Ignored the cookies at work! Whoo hoo!

• Like 1

Day 9- 

Paleo meal: lunch was a salad with grilled chicken and oil/vinegar for dressing. No cheese or croutons (which I don't like anyway)

Jogging was only ok today.  Jogged 2.60 miles, all 4 sprints complete. My legs felt super heavy most of the time and it was like crampapalooza - thighs, calves, lower back, hips all felt super tight and unhappy, but didn't hurt so I pushed through and made sure I did 30 minutes at least.  And per usual, the dog needed walking, so I did a mile with her before my jog and a mile afterwards for a cool down.  Then a major stretching session, which helped.  

I've also realized I might not have time to jog Thursday due to a concert we're going to, so I might be switching that to Saturday again.  It's just as well, since it seemed to leave my legs in good shape to do both Wednesday and Friday strength sessions. Added a few new songs to my playlist, so that was fun. :) 

Day 10:

Paleo meal: lunch - roasted turkey with steamed broccoli and blueberries

Strength - 3 circuits of the BBWW + stretching.

And a 2 mile walk with Zoe. :)

Oh man, roasted turkey sounds sooo good. I'll need to get on that! Sounds like a solid day.

Level: 2  Race: Wood Elf  Profession: Adventurer

| STR 3 | DEX 0 | STA 3 | CON 3.3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3 |

Twitter | YouFood: RaskolRebel

Day 11 & 12:

No jog as originally planned due to State Fair concert tickets. :) But I did get my paleo meal of salmon and mixed veggies for lunch.  That being said, going to state fair wasn't a success for eating well.  I don't feel TOO bad about my choices, but they certainly were not healthy.  Dinner was a single hamburger and split a fry with my hubby.  Prior to that the 4 of us split some nachos while having a drink.  Overall had 3.5 drinks.  Not really good. At the very end of the night, we ordered Toppersticks on the way home, but I held myself to 4 of them, which I equate to a smaller slice of pizza.   On the upside, I jumped, danced, sang and rocked out pretty hard at the concert, so hopefully that balances out some of the indulgences, but probably not all of it.  Woke up a little hungover (oops!) so filled up my liter bottle, took 2 ibuprofen and walked the dog for 2 miles, rehydrating as we went.  Not a bad way to kill a hangover, in case you're curious.  Just walk it off. :) 

Also we brought home cream puffs.  That was my lunch so far today (Day 12).  Boo! But I had a small breakfast (piece of toast w/ PB and a medium banana) and now I am off to work, so I can burn some extra calories with working/stairs.  I also have my paleo dinner packed (chicken and veggies).  And I got in my 3 circuits of BBWW this morning, so that's on track still. 

With all this said, back on track.  Jogging tomorrow morning to make up for yesterday is on the schedule. 

• Like 1

So, now that the first 6 week challenge is done, I can move back over here for random thoughts/posts!  Working on YAYOG 10 week challenge, which I am finding the daily exercise session pretty satisfying and I've only done a couple.  Still have to figure out what I am going to do in between for stretching/etc.  Probably back to yoga, which I do miss doing on a regular basis since I moved away from my gym. :( Not as much fun to do it at home, so I should really find another studio... 

Friends, I have returned!  I did not forget about Nerd Fitness or everything I have learned so far, but I found myself in the middle of some very time consuming life stuff that needed to be my priority.  And then I found myself doing some really fun life things and that took some time as well. So I am respawning! Luckily, I haven't gained much in the way of weight, but I can tell I have lost some of the strength I gained.  I've still been running, but not as much as I would like, and that will be changing!  However, I do have some goals first... 

I finally put together my new weight bench and I have my barbell and weights, so I will be focusing on learning how to strength train with barbells!  I have my strength training book and some basic workouts (compliments of NF) and I plan to start weight lifting tomorrow.  I am re-reading my goals I made when I joined the academy and will be picking up where I left off on leveling.  Lots of re-reading to be done and some meal planning to get back too, but it feels good to be back! 

Can't wait to get started again!  

• Like 1

So I have chosen to start with the barbell battalion workouts within the academy.  I have my setup and I have my workouts planned for the next 4 weeks.  Working on sticking to my schedule, getting over the soreness and walking lots on my off days.  I also started using MFP again for tracking food, so hopefully that will help with some of the diet! 

Two workouts so far this week and they have gone well! I was extra sore on Wednesday, but it's getting better. Watching a lot of videos and finally getting to my Starting Strength book that I purchased a long time ago. 

Personally, May is crazy busy!  I took a certification exam (hence the months of studying/time away from NF), went to the Kentucky Derby, threw my hubby a surprise 30th birthday party and will round out the month with a 2 day wedding celebration.

Whoo hoo! 

• Like 1