HBLyne's Mission to Level Up

Main Quest: Laying foundations to level up.

I need to improve quite a few areas of my life and right now I don't have a specific epic quest, it's a very general "make life better". So for my first challenge on NF I'm laying the foundations, getting used to forming new habits and touching on each of the three main areas that need improvement: diet, fitness and self-esteem.

Mission 1: Stay off the fizzy pop.

I'm going for total cold turkey. Grading as follows:

A - 7 days per week without fizz

B - 6 days per week without fizz

C - 5 days per week without fizz

D - 4 days per week without fizz

E - 3 days per week without fizz

F - 2 days per week without fizz

Mission 2: Keep going with the weight lifting, 3 times per week minimum.

A - Lifting 3x/week following the program plus additional exercise sessions (eg Running)

B - Lifting 3x/week following the program without additional exercise sessions

C - Lifting 3x/week but not completing the program

D - Lifting 2x/week regardless of program completion or otherwise

E - Lifting 1x/week regardless of program completion or otherwise

F - No lifting.

Mission 3: Tell myself one positive thing about myself every day.

A - 8+ positive affirmation per week

B - 7 positive affirmation per week

C - 5 positive affirmation per week

D - 3 positive affirmation per week

E - 1 positive affirmation per week

F - No affirmations in the week

Deep breath. Here goes.

• Like 2

Battle Log - Record from the Front Lines

http://hblyne.com

Welcome to the challenge :)

Love the goals.  Quitting soda can be a hard one to do.  Completely possible though!  For me, it took a good couple of weeks before I was use to not drinking it.  Of course, it was my only source of caffeine as well, so my withdraws were a little worse.  I'm just a water drinker now. :)

I am one of the Guild Ambassadors from the Adventurers Guild.  If you have any questions, feel free to hit up the Adventurers Tavern.  You can also send me a PM if you need anything, or just post here as well.  I am going to follow your thread and help keep tabs on you    :)  I've started up a Level 1 Rebels Support Squad of AWESOME! if you care to join.  I'm basically just tying to get people together to help motivate and keep each other on track.  If not mine, there are plenty of other accountabilibuddies groups to choose from.

Mini Quest 1: Time to get SMART is up for the Level 1 Rebels.  Be sure to check it out.

• Like 1

Checking in then: I worked out this morning, stuck to programme and even managed 10 reps on my last set of squats so I'll be adding weight again next session. I'm squatting and benching 27.5kg for 3x5, which I'm pretty thrilled with considering I've only been lifting for a few weeks and when I started I could barely unrack the empty bar.

I'm on day 3 with no soda and eating pretty well.

Positive affirmation for today: I'm stronger than I thought :)

Hooah! If you need help with the positive things, I'm sure we can pitch in at least a few! Feel free to add/ping me as you need if you ever feel in need of an anon pep talk. I can be pretty good with those supposedly. 

• Like 1

Race: Alive | Class: Ranger | Level: 7 | STATS: Whoops~ (Yes, that's totally a stat! I checked, I swear!... >.>)

Understand that everyone needs time. Understand that everyone deserves patience. Understand that healing, and change take countless seconds, minutes and hours before real health of body and mind can be obtained at all.

"Everything lost is meant to be found."

Becoming a part of the X-men: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | Current

Thanks guys :D

Food is still going well, still no fizzy drinks (4 days now). It was a rest day today but am lifting tomorrow.

Today's positive affirmation: I am free. There's epic background to that, life circumstances and many years of struggle for which I have been having therapy. Yesterday's hypnotherapy session focussed on inner child work, I had to take myself back to a time of pain and find my inner child, give her a big hug and tell her something important. This was it. I am free. Free to chart my own course through life.

• Like 1

Food is still going well, still no fizzy drinks (4 days now). It was a rest day today but am lifting tomorrow.

Today's positive affirmation: I am free. There's epic background to that, life circumstances and many years of struggle for which I have been having therapy. Yesterday's hypnotherapy session focussed on inner child work, I had to take myself back to a time of pain and find my inner child, give her a big hug and tell her something important. This was it. I am free. Free to chart my own course through life.

Huzzah! Freedom's a fucking awesome thing, and it can be such a system shocker sometimes to really sit down and realize what that means for you in your life. I know I hit a wall at one point after getting into my undergrad where I just... Couldn't believe what I had gotten out of. I'm happy for you, and while I'm sure therapy is probably hard, I'm glad to hear you're going.

• Like 1

Race: Alive | Class: Ranger | Level: 7 | STATS: Whoops~ (Yes, that's totally a stat! I checked, I swear!... >.>)

Understand that everyone needs time. Understand that everyone deserves patience. Understand that healing, and change take countless seconds, minutes and hours before real health of body and mind can be obtained at all.

"Everything lost is meant to be found."

Becoming a part of the X-men: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | Current

Love it :)

Mission 3: Tell myself one positive thing about myself every day.

A - 8+ positive affirmation per week

B - 7 positive affirmation per week

C - 5 positive affirmation per week

D - 3 positive affirmation per week

E - 1 positive affirmation per week

F - No affirmations in the week

I love this. I'm currently doing something similar and have for my past two challenges. It helps and is nice to look back on what you write. I hand write mine though. :)

Good luck with your challenge!

Lullaby

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

Just a super quick check in as I missed doing so yesterday. I'll be back later when I have more time but needed to high five myself on here as I went running first thing this morning and then lifted. Lifting went really well! Squatted 35kg for 1x5!!! In 2 weeks I've gone from 20 to 35kg! That's f***ing awesome progress and I'm thrilled :D

Heading out for the afternoon now but I'll be back later with affirmations and a full work out log :D

Huzzah! Freedom's a fucking awesome thing, and it can be such a system shocker sometimes to really sit down and realize what that means for you in your life. I know I hit a wall at one point after getting into my undergrad where I just... Couldn't believe what I had gotten out of. I'm happy for you, and while I'm sure therapy is probably hard, I'm glad to hear you're going.

I love this. I'm currently doing something similar and have for my past two challenges. It helps and is nice to look back on what you write. I hand write mine though. :)

Good luck with your challenge!

Lullaby

Thanks. I'm writing my affirmations out as well but logging them here :)

Great workout :)  Keep it up, you are doing great so far :)

Thank you.

Yesterday was not a great day, I had hardly any sleep and was not up to doing a work out and I didn't eat very well either (though miraculously didn't cave to the temptation of a cola!) so I decided to make up for it today with the run as well as lifting. I only ran for 15 minutes, in intervals as I'm a bit rusty, but it was fantastic and I got home feeling really energised and ready for the day.

Then I hit the garage to lift. I started with bench, as that was what was set up and repeated my reps from last time, which was 3x5 at 27.5kg. I struggled a bit with these though and so did some work on my form and then was able to do a few additional clean reps.

Squats next. I was planning to up the weight to 30kg after doing 10 reps at 27.5 last session but didn't want to leap straight up to that from my 20kg warm up, so I did 1x5 at 20, then 1x5 at 25 then loaded up 30kg and did 2x5 then 1x10! I was actually laughing through the last set and saying "I could do these all day!" (it was a sort of amazed, hysterical laughter, not arrogance!) so I added another 5kg and did 5 more reps. I am beyond amazed. A few weeks ago I couldn't even unrack the empty bar and now I'm doing these long sets. I'm loving it. I'm also throwing in odd bits of parkour practice around the garden.

So yesterday's affirmation was: I am creative.

Today's is: I am persistent ;)

• Like 1

Helloooooo!

So this is my end of week 1 report.

Mission 1: Keep off the fizz. ACHIEVED. Grade A :D

Mission 2: Lifting 3 x/week. ACHIEVED. Grade A as I also went for a run one day as well as lifting on programme (and above, with extra reps and upping weight beyond what was planned) 3 times.

Mission 3: Positive affirmation every day. I forgot to do one yesterday, so grade C this week. Next week will be better ;)

I was tempted by a bottle of coke today but resisted! Proud of me.

Today's affirmation is: I can resist temptation ;)

• Like 1

Dude, it's fully amazing how fast you can up the weight when you first start.  I've only done a few weeks of actual weight training (normally I'm a yoga kind of person) but once you start with the weights and BWW it's pretty awesome.  I'm super proud of you for your progress!  That's amazing, seriously.

Does soda water count?  I love me some soda water with a splash of lemon/lime.  The fun of fizz without the guilt.  

Also, welcome!

• Like 1

Level 3 - Person who doesn't really understand what stats are.  I know, you've explained it...

Thanks, Lammis :D The gains are really rewarding. I used to do yoga and running and was sure I would never get into weightlifting, I just really didn't see the appeal. But I found that I wasn't actually getting regular workouts done and wanted to find something I could fit into my life easily that I would be able to easily measure progress in and there was powerlifting. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I am doing ;)

I squatted 37.5 kg for 5x5 today and benched 30kg for 5x5. I don't have any 0.25kg weights to up my bench weight more gradually, so am increasing my sets for a bit before getting the weights I need to go up 0.5kg at a time.

I've had a hard few days diet wise, really tempted by Pepsi a couple of days ago (but didn't cave!) and my calorie intake has been quite high. I'm fighting to get back on track though.

Affirmations for the last two days:

I can achieve what I set out to do

I am creative

I'm going away for the weekend, so won't be able to lift as scheduled ;'( but am taking my running shoes and planning to get out at least once for a run in place of lifting. Not quite the same, but it'll have to do. Just not sure how to grade myself for the week in light of it. I've done 2 lifting sessions this week and won't have time to do another tomorrow before I go. Thoughts?

Lift yourself!  Do some BWW stuff (pushups, squats, side planks, etc) see if you can find a playground to do some upward rows?  I think as long as you do SOMETHING that counts as a win.  Because you're making time to make sure you get at least most of your goal achieved.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Level 3 - Person who doesn't really understand what stats are.  I know, you've explained it...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines