RMKWilson takes on Silent Hill

RoxyFreefall

silenthill_zps12ed6ce6.jpg

WOW I FOUND IT...SILENT HILL!  It is all real...the falling ash, the sirens wailing, the mutant animals, and the demonic creatures. What a great place to train, and now that my ride left I am on my own. It will be tough, dangerous, and even a tad bit scary at times. But nothing a trained ranger can't handle...Wait I forgot I am not yet a ranger! I am still only in training, a rookie even. :nightmare:  Well now I have no choice but to survive the next 6 weeks. This forum will be my only means of human contact. There are no other living souls in Silent Hill. I have to fend for myself.

In order to survive:

1) Since I am here I might as well explore this "lovely" town. Use the C2-5K program to see as many of the sights as possible before time runs out. (3x/week) Dex +1, Stamina +2

20090720230411Silent_Hill_Complete_Map_z

2) Since I am here lets use every cult member, creature, and obstacle to build strength. And since this is Silent Hill there will be plenty opportunities (2x/week) Strength +3

silent_hill_wallpaper_02_by_bloodaxe666-

3) I will need to stay hydrated and keep nutrition high in order to keep my wits about me. So I will search for and choose only the best foods available to fuel my body. Wisdom +2, Constitution +2

Ultimate Goal:

Of course is to stay alive but losing some pounds along the way (or lower % body fat) would be a win.

Starting Measurements:

arms: both 12.5"

true waist: 40.5"

below bellybutton: 43.5"

hips: 45.5"

thighs: left 26.75", right 26.25"

% body fat: 33.2%

weight: 185.9 (@7:30am, dressed no shoes)

Final Thoughts:

I will update with my progress through Silent Hill (at least weekly). You know... I have always wanted to take on a Nurse and see how many Robbie the Rabbits are in this place. This might be fun after all!

Rabbit_1_story_zpsedae7023.jpg

• Like 1

MFP: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/rkonie Name: RKonie

Journal Day 1 and 2:

I decided to camp at the LakeView Hotel for a couple of days. My travel to reach the hotel was fairly quiet. No creatures or attacks today, but I feel I am in reality at the moment rather than the alternate world I arrived in. Since things were quiet I took the opportunity to do some gathering of extra supplies. I found a room key, a flashlight, and some first aid supplies. I also found the kitchen. After I got settled I completed some intervals (c25k) for 2.3miles around the hotel yesterday. Today I completed some strength training, upper body and light lower body all with resistance bands. I am rationing out my food stocks and am doing okay for now. (One slip per day at bedtime, but intake is going well). Tomorrow I think I will head further into town and search out some edible food to supplement my stocks. That means more opportunity for interval (c25k) training.

Journal Day 3 and 4:

I awoke Wednesday with an urge to move on. I have pretty much explored the Hotel and it's grounds. I made plans to head into Old Silent Hill just north on Bachman Rd. I packed up and headed on my way. I used this travel time to run some intervals (c25k week 3 day 1 completed). I arrived at the school and found 2 Groaners waiting for me. Turns out they are easy to avoid. As I explored I find that the building was inhabited by what looks like Demon Children. These things like to ambush you. As I explored the school I rid it of the Demon Children. I found a courtyard by a clock tower and decided it looked safe to rest and get a bit to eat. I was also tired and it was a nice night so I camped out for the night. I wake to the wail of sirens. Everything had changed. I started a new sweep of the school. Not only were there more Demon Children but now there were Giant Roaches...have I mentioned I really really do not like bugs. :nightmare: I used all my strength to keep fighting (strength training completed 7/31). My exploration took me to the basement where I ended up in the boiler room. When all of a sudden everything returned to normal as quickly as it had gone.

Hopefully my journey will take me to a place with some healthy food to replenish my stocks with soon. (My intake has not been good, but I will get this fixed,)

Now to find a place to rest. Maybe I can fortify one of the classrooms for the night. Will check back in soon.

Journal Day 5, 6, and 7

Friday I decided to head out of the school and explore more of Old Silent Hill. I headed north on Midwich St. Took my time and explored the abandoned homes and businesses but nothing much to note about my days adventure. (No exercise done and ate poorly).

Saturday I headed south on Levin St. where the day was pretty much a repeat of Friday (again no exercise and lots more bad eating). Both days presented with a dog here and there to get rid of, but nothing to be able to realy count as a work out.

Sunday I found myself on Bachman Rd. My first stop of note was Balkan Church.This stop proved potentially useful as I found what appears to be a key to the drawbridge. I want to head to Central Silent Hill and if the draawbridge is up then I will need the key...but first I wanted to scout the rest of Old Silent Hill. I used this time to run intervals up Bachman to Finney then south on Ellroy to the bridge (1.95miles on Week 3 day 2 of C25K). This allowed me to scout out the remaining area. Nothing much found besides a few supplies in a Convenience Store 8 and Shell Gas Station.

Week Wrap Up:

1) Since I am here I might as well explore this "lovely" town. Use the C2-5K program to see as many of the sights as possible before time runs out. (3x/week) Dex +1, Stamina +2   

3/3

2) Since I am here lets use every cult member, creature, and obstacle to build strength. And since this is Silent Hill there will be plenty opportunities (2x/week) Strength +3

2/2 - dogs, and demon children, and giants roaches OH MY!  (resistance band work with a Turbo Jam DVD)

3) I will need to stay hydrated and keep nutrition high in order to keep my wits about me. So I will search for and choose only the best foods available to fuel my body. Wisdom +2, Constitution +2

I will give myself 2/7 for this one.  I did not use my best judgement this week and eat sensibly. While on the go I gave in too many times. I did not eat for fuel but for taste.

Measurements:

starting weight 7/28: 185.9 (@7:30am, dressed no shoes)

end of wk1 weight 8/4: 187.1 (@6:45, dressed no shoes)

Week 2 Forecast:

I plan to explore the north portion of Central Silent Hill. Places I have targeted on my map are the police station, Silent Hill Town Center, and Dargento Cemetary.

(Continue my great progress on C25K, continue to work with Turbo Jam with resistance bands).

(I also plan to stick with my meal plan. I just need to get it done. Protein is a main focus. Just Say No to everything else.)

• Like 1

Journal Days 8 and 9:

I took yesterday and today to cross the drawbridge and make my way to the north end of Central Silent Hill.  I fell I have been hiding in the quiet parts of town and subconsciously avoiding all the interesting action packed parts of town. It is time to get out of the boring slump and seek out the action. Tomorrow and Thursday I will head to the police station, town center, and cemetery.

A moment to talk in reality :)

No exercise in the last 2 days (Mon or Tues) and eating has been on plan until after dinner then things fall apart. I need to keep it under control. I still have time to get everythin in if I get myself dedicated to the tasks at hand.

I have been so tired that I am actually falling asleep at my desk at work. I sleep 8-9 hours but for some reason never feel rested. I can only think that my weight and poor diet are to blame. I know I feel anxious and stressed a lot of the time also. I thought running would be a good stress reliever and help me sleep, but I feel like I need it every day which I can't do. I am not yet strong enough. Weight training lets me definitely feel a burn in the target muscle groups, but not much in the way of stress relief.

I have fallen apart badly in my last couple challenges and hoped this time creating an adventure/story would help me stay with in. The idea for me being...The story is only exciting if I get my work outs in. A work out equals a battle or trip into the alternate reality. So please bare with me while I try to pick up the pace and find the excitement.

Back to Silent Hill:

My hopes are the the cemetery will bring me to great opportunities. I love to walk in an old cemetery. Grave stones can tell you so much. But in Silent Hills case I suspect there will be a few monsters about. Town Center is a shopping mall from what I understand, but you never know what will be lurking about. Same with the police station...maybe some old prisoners or maybe a gym or track to use.

• Like 1

You're doing great and this is a fun challenge to follow along. I always liked playing silent hill on my own at night, really got the adrenaline pumping.

Just an opinion about you feeling tired. I work with a girl who has to take iron supplements everyday or she gets really tired and falls asleep. Do you think you get enough?

Race: Undead Gnoll | Class: Ranger

[Level: 3 | STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 4 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 4 ]

Intro: And Breath.. Challenges: #1,#2,#3(FAIL),#4

You don't drown by falling in the water, you drown by staying there.

-Edwin Louis Cole

I agree with Chris on checking out your nutritional intake.  I have had moment where I am getting enough sleep, but feeling wiped out at work because I had cut my calorie intake back, and ended up cutting back the nutrients I needed as well.  I also had ramped up my exercise which required more rest for me.  Looking forward to your battles.

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

I never thought of iron. I am on a vitamin D supplement, and I take a multivitamin but I will have to research good sources of iron. I bet I am not getting enough. My diet consists of the following:

Breakfast (a combination of two of the below)

boiled eggs

protein bar or granola bar

McDonalds sandwich

Lunch (typically 3 of the following)

frozen entree

greek yogurt with whey

cheese sticks

frozen veggies with light cheese sauce

Dinner

last night was a sirloin steak and chocolate dipped pretzels (100calories pack)

typically dinner is a protein with either rice or steamed veggies or a frozen entree

*This is the meal that falls off plan...Dairy Queen, Pizza, and McDonalds were a regular thing for a while. We have cut back greatly. But we have substituted with frozen dinners. Not sure if that is really an improvement :(

I have cut out most day time snacking and got meal sizes under control and increased my exercise from maybe 1 day a week to 5. If I were eating to plan I think my intake would be ~1400calories. I am leaning toward a lack of nutrient packed food being the issue. I will try to make sure I am getting a fruit with breakfast, a veggie with lunch AND dinner. and maybe a fruit as an evening snack/dessert.

• Like 1

I think that substitution probably is an improvement alright and when your ready start moving to home cooked and cheap and eventually to the whole organic and grass fed foods. The only way I can keep it up long term is cooking big batches in one go and freezing it. Big problem there is it's a bit boring eating the same thing every day.  If you eat a lot of steak you might have enough iron leafy greens too I think.

-Edwin Louis Cole

I was cooking a couple of main dishes on Sundays for weeknight dinners for a while and it worked out pretty good. I just got tired of being in the kitchen every Sunday. I would rather go play or shop, but it is worth it when you don't have to eat processed foods and only need to make a side dish or two each night. Maybe I will put a large batch of something in the crockpot this Sunday. Maybe a pot of chili or bbq beef or pork. BBQ in the crockpot can be turned into a lot of quick meals.

I eat beef or chicken mostly. (Pork as sausage or bacon). I know I am lacking on fruits and veggies. That will be my focus for the remaining of this week.

• Like 1

Spinach is a good quick source and I have developed a taste for it in just about any form.  I also found a list that you can refer to for other veggies. http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

Journal Days 10 and 11 (Wed and Thurs):

Wednesday I headed to Dargento Cemetery. Turned out to be a great place for a run.  Lots of Dogs, Smogs, and Lurkers to deal to deal with. It was a tough work out but what a great place. It seems the graves here are quite dated. Some are even to weathered to read.

cemetary_zps75524ac2.jpg

*Actually went to our village park which is also our cemetery all in one location, and there were more dogs (and their owners) there than usual. Kind of fitting. Completed Week 3 day 3 but with some extra walking rests, only 1.85miles. PS: I know there are not actually dogs in Dargento cemetery they are found in Rose heights cemetery but I took some liberties :)

TownCenter_zps53fe7fae.jpg

Thursday I headed Silent Hill Town Center with the intent of snooping around and maybe find something to use as weights for some lifting. I was extremely tired after my run in the cemetery so just shopped instead. But Town Center was not without excitement. As I entered the building the sirens began to wale and everything changed. As I walked through the dark quiet mall I noticed a set of tvs on in a store window. Briefly an image of a girl appeared, but then all went dark. The only things that seem to inhabit this mall is oversized moth larva with purple-colored blood, Twinfeelers. I took caution and avoided them, I was not up for doing battle today. They can have the mall.

Friday I hope to find another great running location. Maybe I will just run the surronding blocks as I head toward the police station.

Journal Days 12 and 13 (Friday and Saturday):

Friday I headed in the direction of the police station. The closer I get the more rompers (ape like monsters) I see. I spend the day dodging these monsters in search of a way into the station. I need a place to stay for the night. (no actual exercise completed, rain and high humidity kept me indoors and I failed to pick up any weights or bands). I find a way in and barricade the doors for the night. Saturday I woke feeling refreshed. After getting some necessary things done and looking around the station for any secrets of Silent Hill I take down the barricades and look outside. The rompers are no where in site. I take the opportunity to go for a brisk walk. (did not work on my c25k, but walked at the same pace completed the same distance, and burned the same number of calories. I am counting this toward my week.) After my walk I head back in the station and redo my barricades for the night. Tomorrow will be left for something spontaneous...I will just see what sounds good tomorrow.

Today's experiment:

I walked today as an experiment. I knew my running interval pace was slow and was probably close to my walking pace. I had always assumed that running would burn more calories then walking. Here is what I have found

• Walk for 29mins....1.92miles, burn 260 calories, avg 15.01min/mile
  • C25K intervals on my last two attempts:
  1. 29mins...1.95miles, burn 265 calories, avg 14.55min/mile
  2. 28.5mins...1.85miles, burn 244 calories, and avg 15.22min/mile

Conclusion:

I might as well walk. LOL I am not going to give up interval 5K training, but I am definitely going to walk on the really humid days like today. Only 76 degrees but 86% humidity. YUK! On strength training days I may through in a walk here and there. I conclude that it must be the distance that really counts for burning calories. I can walk and not run as long as I am willing to put in extra time to walk. If you can run at 8-9mins/mile and run for 30 mins you can complete 3.3-3.75miles. I can burn the same calories with the same distance walking as long as I have time 50mins to walk.

What are your thoughts...

1. do you run because you enjoy it more than walking, for the time savings, for the extra challenge?
  2. do you agree that walking can be just as beneficial?

I enjoy the challenge, but get super duper winded and quickly. Because of this my walking intervals are slower than I normally walk. I end up using the time to catch my breath so I am ready for the next running interval.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure how it works but I definitely burn a noticeable amount of extra calories when I run 5k than if I walk it, but say it takes half an hour to run the 5k if I do half an hour of intervals I won't get anywhere near 5k and calorie burn is a little lower but it's a better work out for power.

Ugh, sorry I think I'm saying there all different, but if you want to run 5k you need to practice running. You probably won't get there otherwise.

• Like 1

-Edwin Louis Cole

I do want to run a 5K. I want to do a warrior dash. But I am definitely going to walk more.

New goal:

C25K 3x/week + walk 3-4x/wk

Resistance Band work for upper and lower body 2x/week, + some stability ball work for core and back

1 off day per week

Reaching high with this but the exercise will help with stress and maybe help jump start some weight loss. The more you exercise the more good for you food is desirable. At least it does with me. :)

• Like 1

Journal Entry, Week 2 Day 7:

Today I have laid low. Staying close to the police station. This town must have been quite pleasant in its day. But like so many towns from history it is now only filled with ghosts. I have eaten well today, calories may have been a bit high but I think nutrition was better. While resting today I wrote out a plan for my strength training. As long as I can find quite places along my journey I will continue with 2x per week. Testing my progress on the monsters I come across. I will try out my routine after dinner is settled. I think I have hit all the major muscle groups. Please tell me if there is something I should add. Tomorrow my tour of Silent Hill takes me a little further south. According to the map there is plenty to explore.

My new routine looks like this: (3 sets of 10-15 each)

lower body-

squats w/band
donkey kicks w/band
standing leg kicks (back, side, and cross over front) w/band
calf raises w/band
upper body-
bicep curls w/band
tricep extension w/band
shoulder press w/band
flys w/band
rows w/band
core-
ab twist w/band
back extensions on ball
bridges
planks
stability ball knee to chest

This Weeks Totals:

Cardio- 2/3

Strength- 1/2

Nutrition- 1/7

Measurements:

starting weight 7/28: 185.9 (@7:30am, dressed no shoes)

end of wk1 weight 8/4: 187.1 (@6:45, dressed no shoes)

end of wk2 weight 8/10: 186.4 (@7:45am, dressed no shoes)

My nutrition goals are simple...but maybe that is the problem. Cut back on sweets, fried foods, and unhealthy snacks. Protein is a focus. When I was tracking I make it a goal to eat 1300-1400 calories with an even split between fat, carbs, and protein, ~30% each. I know how to get it done with out tracking due to doing this off and on for so long. My problem with food is will power. I have none what so ever. I also am not a big fan of cooking, although I have learned that I am a fair cook. My will power is so weak that I feel I need a magic pill to help me...which of course does not exist. Not to go on and on but one other difficulty is my diabetes. So many food raise my bloodsugar and exercise makes it drop too low. So there is always a struggle going on with that too. I just need to learn how to say no...food has always been a time filler for me and used to treat every emotion I have. These are hard habits to break.

This week has been tough for exercise...It rained for 2 days in a row , then humidity has been killer. I do not have a treadmill or a gym membership. Lack of strength training was pure laziness. I feel really good about getting it done today. My new program takes about 40mins + time to stretch afterwards. The last bit is always having errands to run during the week. I need to try harder to get them all done on the weekend when I am off. But there is always something :)

So many excuses. I just need to get it done. The only problem here is me. I just need to find my mental strength. Everyone here is so great. I find so much motivation in everyones threads and posts. I am following some really great ones this time. You all are awesome.

• Like 1

That nutrition goal is loftier than I could manage, so I have no advice for you. I'm thinking that I should pay better attention to what I eat, but I'll have to do it one small piece at a time (perhaps no sweets) and build up. Good luck with your goals.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines