Working up to pull ups

I've been digging through a few sites, looking for 'pull' exercises. I'm thinking of working my way up to pull ups.

The basic body weight routine mentions inverse rows but... well, I'm working on finding a stable something to pull from. (Maybe a woodworking horse?)

I know I could use resistance bands (I have my red one from physio, somewhere)

Or there's the one arm rows (need to think of something heavy to work with. I could load up a tool kit, maybe?)

In the meantime, are there other exercises that effectively work with pull muscles?

Right now I'm working with inverse rows, weighted rows with resistance bands, negatives (as described above by bigm), and assisted pull-ups. The negatives and assisted pull-ups I do in a nearby playground, and I've noticed a huge difference in just a couple of weeks. I can't yet do a full pull-up, but I have made gains in terms of how far I can pull myself up. It's very encouraging, I would definitely recommend giving them a try. Playgrounds are genius for improvised workout equipment.