Maxx's 1st Challenge - No Excuses

Hello – My name is Jack and I’m ready to begin my first six week challenge with the awesome people from Nerd Fitness.  Here is why.  I’ve been reading Nerd Fitness for about six months now and have been inspired by so many of your stories.  I need to join in. 

Here is my story. I’m 44 years old and I’m from Stow Ohio. (a little north of Akron, a little south of Cleveland)  It is a great place to live with my wife and four kids ages 9, 7, 5, & 2 ½.  Because of having kids (no time & no sleep) and working for a major US food company (there was always free food around) I had gotten up to 235 pounds and was in the worst shape of my life. I switched jobs and decided I needed to make a lifestyle change as well. About a year and a half ago, I decided to train for a 5K and see if I could get into running.  I half-heartedly trained for 6 weeks, and finished the 5K in 34:40.  But, fortunately the running “bug†took hold.  I ran 10 races last year (9 5Ks and 1 4-mile race) and got down to a low time of 28:33.  I was up to running 4 times a week and completing a 10K run every Sunday.  Fast forward to this past May.  Out on a regular run I torn a muscle in my right calf.  It was a minor tear, but I knew this was something that was going to shut down my running for a while.  I decided to not run at all until we returned from a family vacation at the end of June.  I’m working back into shape now, but realize that I need to incorporate other exercises into my routine to avoid “over use†injuries that come from pounding the pavement.  I want to get stronger, and more fit so I can run farther and faster.  Also, I’ve gotten to the plateau in weight loss that running alone will give me.  I need to add other exercise and get serious about changing my eating to drop some weight to be healthier and help my running goals as well.

Enough long back-story, here’s what I came here to do.

Stats:

Height: 5’11â€

Weight: 205

Current running distance: 3.1 miles

Current running pace: approx. 10:20 per mile.

Quest – Gain Strength and Endurance to help my running. (I’m signed up to run a 5.5 mile leg in the Akron Marathon at the end of September, and signed up for a two-man relay (6.55 miles each) for the Buckeye Half Marathon at the end of October)

Plan – Add the Beginner Bodyweight Workout and Biking to my weekly plan.  (This will diversify my training as well as make me stronger to enhance my running long term.)

(Just a note – with 4 kids and a full time job, I workout/run at 5 am in the morning while everyone else is asleep. (6 am on weekends)  I have my plan set up for 7 days a week because if I let myself sleep in for one day it is way too easy to sleep in the next day.  I need that consistency to avoid bad habits)

Monday – BBWW – 3 sets

Tuesday – Run – 3-4 miles

Wednesday – BBWW – 3 sets

Thursday – Run – 3-4 miles

Friday – BBWW – 3 sets

Saturday – Bike Ride – 10+ miles (1 hour ride)

Sunday – Run – 5-7 miles

Grading – This is my basic plan.

BBWW – A-3 days of 3 set / week,  B-3 days of less than 3 sets / week,  C-2 days / week,  D 1-day / week,  F-0 days / week

Run – A-3days / week,  C-2days / week,  D-1day / week,  F-0 days / week

Bike – A-1 ride / week,  F-0 rides / week

Side Quest - Get better habits around how I eat and how much I eat.

Eating Plan – This quest will be a little harder to grade but I know I can make improvements.  I don’t really eat that badly, and I enjoy all of the foods that I know are good and healthy for me. (fruits, veggies, etc.)  I also am not a big-time snacker generally. (I’ll explain more in a minute)  So here is the problem, when I sit down for a meal “all bets are offâ€.  I’m one of those people who will eat as long as I am at the table.  2nds, 3rds, … no problem.  I also have small kids who tend to leave a lot of food on their plates.  Raised in a house where waist was not permitted, “somebody has to eat that!!† Usually it’s me.  Consequently one turkey burger and ear of corn, turns into 3 or 4 of each after 2nds and cleaning kid’s plates.  This is the behavior I need to change.  Also I love to cook, doing probably 60% or so of the general cooking in my house.  But, I’ve noticed lately that I graze the entire time I’m in the kitchen cooking!  I’ve almost consumed a meal by the time I have the meal ready for my family … then see above. The plan is to recognize the behaviors above and keep you guys up to date on how I am doing at correcting them.  I will possibly give some arbitrary grades to this if I can, but I’m not sure at this point.

Life Quest – To take better hold of my job

Life Plan – Again this is a little different.  I have been given a new role at my company to drive a global change.  It is a newly created position, and thus never existed within the company before.  That being said, there are a lot of people who feel they know what the position should be, and what it should look like.  I need to establish the fact that I was given this opportunity because I am seen as the expert in this area.  I need to make some of my colleagues realize that it is my role to make this job in my image.  It will be difficult and political, and I hope some of you understand what I mean?  I will keep you up on the progress.

Whew!  Sorry this was so long, but honestly I feel better just writing it out.  I’m ready to get started and will do my best to give you timely updates on progress on all of the above.

Thanks for reading!! Here we go!!

|| Jack ||

Adventurer / Scout || Level 0

STR: 0 || DEX: 0 || STA: 0 || CON: 0 || WIS: 0 || CHA: 0

maxxs-1st-challenge-no-excuses

goals look good :)

I come to be cheerleader 

tumblr_mb6854JyP01rt6jm2.gif

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Hey Maxx, I'm KingLeeroy an Adventurer Ambassador, welcome to your first challenge!

Congratulations on all your running success and it's cool that you want to add in new things!

I see you noted yourself down as possibly an adventurer, obviously you'll know yourself by the end of your challenge but if you’re interested in finding more tips, stories, and motivation from Adventurers that have similar goals to yours head on over to the Adventurer’s Tavern where you’ll find people always willing to chat. If you’d like to talk to me you can either check out my current challenge or pm me on the board.  If you have any questions on how to use the forums, check out this tutorial. I’ll be following your topic here as well so you’ll probably see me again anyway.

Good luck with your challenge!

Be More Ninja

Current Challenge

Instagram

Hey Maxx!! Welcome to the Nerd Fitness forums! I’m Lullaby, one of the ambassadors for the Assassins’ Guild. It looks like you're doing the beginner body weight workout this challenge. You're in luck because so are some of my fellow Assassins!!   :triumphant:  

Here’s a link to more information about the Assassin’s Guild. We also have a phonebook where Assassins are sorted by exercises/skills, so you can check in on other people who are working on the same stuff as you are! It's still in process of being made but check it out once it's been completed. It's really helpful.

There's also a chat thread called the Assassins’ Den where we hang out and chat. Despite the name, you’re free to come chat even if you’re not an Assassin. If you have any questions, I as well as other Assassins are happy to help you out. You can reach me by using the private messenger system (click the envelope at the top right of the screen) or you can post on my thread.

​Also, do you have time to rest with your plan? Doing some kind of exercise 7 days a week might make you burn out by the end of the 6 weeks and doesn't give your muscles the time they need to recover. Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck! 

Lullaby

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

I'm sorry that your injury has put a dent in your running, but I know a ton of Scouts who will be able to offer you advice on how to get back in peak performance (and better).

You might notice that someone has added tags to your thread.  This isn't to pigeonhole a guild already, but rather to bring you to the attention of one of their ambassadors in because you have goals and/or a lifestyle that is in line with things that they focus on.  They should be able to support, encourage and advise you during your challenge.  You are also welcome to pop into the Scouts Tavern, introduce yourself and ask any questions that you might have. You are also welcome to pop me a DM at any time.

Good luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

how's it going??

8zqv60.jpg

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines