Elsfaire (Re)Discovers the Awesomeness of Nerds

elsfaire

I shave in the summer (well, my calves, anyway. Thigh hair is thin enough to escape notice), but when I start wearing pants regularly in the middle of fall, I stop. That lets me not feel self-conscious, but not waste time with something I really don't believe in for a good part of the year. I believe in being more 'natural' in how I treat my body when possible, but I have to balance that with modern conveniences and social conventions.

I was actually a music major in college (go figure!). My chosen nerddom now is healthy pregnancy and birth, and a bit of parenting. I am trying to re-teach American women to have healthy lifestyles. :)

Me too! I tend to shave when I have special occacions in winter, feels like pampering me because I take the time to do that, but doing it on a regular basis is just time consuming!

I love collecting knowledge about pregnancy and child birth. How did you transition from your major to your nerddom for making a living? :)

• Like 1

Katastrophenkatzchen - Progress, not Perfection!

Race: Troll | Class : one ambitious  Druid-kitty

Level: 2 | STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: 0,5, 1, 2 , Babysteps

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

No alcohol (12/42) 26/9/14

28%
28%

Start: 194 lbs, Final Goal: 154 lbs, Next Goal: 190 lbs / Current: 194.9 lbs (15. Sept. 2014)

-1%
-1%

Are you blond?

I don't know if I should change the place where I live, or if the key is on the color of our hair. Here (Spain) if I stop to remove my hair (black), every woman would point a finger at me. If I go to the gym in shorts with hair on my legs I think it could be the doomsday, hahaha.

• Like 2

Level 4

10 WIS | 2 STR | 2 STA | 2 CON | 5 CHA | 1 DEX

battle logepic quest

The Stoic Path of Virtue: #1 | #2 | #3

Current challenge: Don't break the challenge

Notice my sig? Apple and its influence is all over my life.

I wrote software for Mac a few times too.

BTW, where is "your website"?

Ah - "my website" will have to remain a mystery for a bit longer. It is in dire need of an overhaul because the template is old and looks like garbage. I also need to update the content. I just lost my other domain that had a lot of content on it due to a trademark "infringement" concern (but I sold the domain, so it is not all bad). I also want to migrate some of that content onto what is now my only website. A bit longer, and all will be revealed. ;)

I love collecting knowledge about pregnancy and child birth. How did you transition from your major to your nerddom for making a living? :)

Well.... I am not doing that full time at the moment. My day job is helping my husband run his team building business. I do a lot of customer care, website management, online marketing, accounting, etc. I was doing a lot more years ago (I taught childbirth classes 3-4 times a week and went to 1-2 births a month at one point), but it got to be too much with other personal things going on, especially raising my kids. So I took a break for awhile to focus on the family and on helping hubby get his business going. I was *supposed* to also work on publishing the booklets I had written for my students during this break, but that has not worked out very well. I only have 1 ebook out so far

How to transition depends a lot on what role you would like to have in the pregnancy/birth world. It is very easy to start being a doula or childbirth educator part-time. The training for both is very low-cost (compared to getting a degree), and childbirth classes are almost exclusively taught in the evening or on weekends when most people are not working. Doula work requires having a job that you can stop and leave at a moment's notice for an indeterminate amount of time, so is harder for people to start that part time, but it is still easier than a completely new career. Midwifery training or labor and delivery nurse are more like regular career shifts. You have to go through a long and more costly training program, but those professions really need that level of training. :)

As for how *I* actually made the transition - here is the "short" version (under the spoiler because it got to be a bit long). :redface-new:

realized partway through my undergraduate degree (French horn performance) that I was not cut out to be a music performer, and thought that teaching music history would be better suited to me. I applied for and obtained a graduate assistantship for Musicology (the study of music history and theory), and moved to pursue a Master's degree at that university with my (now, but not yet at that point) hubby. Partway through my first year of the Master's, I realized that music history was not my style either. I had been exposed to natural health and nutrition through my husband (He was vegan at the time and had given me some research that convinced me to also go vegan. I know a LOT more about critical reading of research now....), and I had already experienced some success with reducing my seasonal allergies through natural/alternative therapies. So, I decided to become a naturopath. I audited a nutrition class and took some chemistry and biology to begin getting prerequisites out of the way, but never made it very far - naturopathy school was expensive, we were broke, and I got pregnant with our first son. Through the pregnancy, I learned a lot about how natural health applied to pregnancy, and was able to avoid most of the discomforts experienced by many women (I was also only 24, which helps). I also took a natural childbirth class. I decided a few months after our first was born to certify to teach the same childbirth method we had taken because it was so helpful to us.

Over the years, I never stopped researching nutrition, other lifestyle factors, their effect on pregnancy and birth, and natural ways to alleviate or prevent pregnancy discomforts and complications. Even after stopping teaching, I did not stop researching. :) I compiled all my research into booklets that I gave my students, and have been trying to update and edit them for publication (self-publishing). I would love to create an online class system or app to help women implement the healthy lifestyle steps they are lacking, but there is only so much one person can do... At that point, I will truly be making a living off of my nerddom. :)

• Like 4

Are you blond?

I don't know if I should change the place where I live, or if the key is on the color of our hair. Here (Spain) if I stop to remove my hair (black), every woman would point a finger at me. If I go to the gym in shorts with hair on my legs I think it could be the doomsday, hahaha.

Nope - my hair is actually rather dark brown. I make a number of concessions to public opinion - I do shave my calves and knees in the summer or if I am wearing a dress in the winter (which hardly ever happens because I hate stockings). I also don't get out much - I work from home, I do workouts at home, etc. So there is not really that much opportunity for anyone to see my legs except in the summer.

Week 1, Day 4 (Thursday)

Goal 1: Nerds are Awesome

I was able to fix our VOIP to have better sound quality instead of cutting out - again. (IT would be nice if I knew WHY the problem keeps happening to begin with, though).

Goal 2: Nerds like numbers and tracking

Legs - did some mini-challenge stuff to learn the moves/test: box jumps, a few burpees (those are weird!), lunges

Push: did sets of pushups during the day: 7, 8, 7

Pull: chinup negatives 4,4 & pullup negatives 3, 4

It does not seem like a lot, but I have DOMS now...

Goal 3: Nerds like science (Fractal endurance training & flexibility)

Walked up and down the driveway once, three separate times today, then it started raining. I later also walked up and down a similar hill when I was picking my son up from camp, so I am counting it as 4 :playful:

Did yoga (though I did not do any on Wednesday. Ooops)

Life Quest:

Made the final transfer request for my original website domain, and tried to do some more updating on my current site.

Week 1, Day 5 (Friday)

My body is awesome because I was able to hold a handstand for 5 seconds, and I am able to bail more consistently instead of flopping onto my back most of the time

My food is awesome because I actually ate something resembling 3 meals today. :)

An awesome decision today was to let hubby go pick up our younger son from camp tomorrow so I can get work done and be able to go out with friends tomorrow night.

Legs - did some mini-challenge stuff - lunges

Core: V-ups 8,7,8, Tuck-ups: 3,8 and arm/leg lifts (back exercise): 12, 15, 15

Walked up and down the driveway once, five separate times today

AND walked a bunch at the river

Did yoga

Life Quest:

Had to focus on other work.

It is not really a nerd gif, but it is minions, and they are kind of nerds. I mean, they build lots of stuff... :)

132.gif

• Like 5

Are you blond?

I think the "hair removing" standars are higher in hot countries, as we spend a lot more time in shorts, bikinis and so (think about the "ingles brasileñas o caribeñas"). Besides, in Spain we tend to be rather hairy and dark haired, so the trouble is served. If you look on northern countries, women don't usually wax or shave, dark or light hair.

And yes, every woman would point a finger on you (and many men too), why are we so mean?

Sorry for hijacking your thread, elsfaire smiley-love029.gif

• Like 4

At that point, I will truly be making a living off of my nerddom. :)

Ooooh. You are a great nerd.

Non-nerds don't see the joy of digging deep. Life is so much stuff we don't know.

Google made our life easier but before that, we had book stores and libraries. 

I've learned food and exercise in a year. You can apply it to help others. I admire that.

• Like 1

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava

Wow and hi. I'm late to check in with you, my positivity buddy, and my apologies. But thank you for such a great quest!

I'm focusing on smiles and fun, and on making walking an ingrained habit also - you are doing great with the fractals and upper body work. Can't wait to see what you dish out next week!

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Quick awesomeness post:

Body: My legs are getting stronger, just with the driveway fractals. :)

Food: I stayed out of the popcorn at the movies yesterday and did NOT eat any. :)

Decision: I decided to be persistent about going kayaking this morning and hubby and I went and had a good time. :)

Full update on Sat & Sunday, and the week 1 summary tomorrow. Got to go to bed and get some sleep!

• Like 5

*knock knock*

Anyone home?

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Sorry all - had a busy few days (in a good way) and decided to wait on NF posting until I felt more caught up. The good news: except 2 very small pieces, the second part of my Top Secret Mission is completely arranged - WOOOOT! I am taking a few weeks off, then will start making arrangements for the first part of my TSM. And you will just have to wait and see, muahahahaha!

So, here are the summaries:

Week 1, Day 6 (Saturday)

Figured out some changes to make to the Google Adwords for hubby's business which should help get more relevant leads for less money.

Recovery

Recovery - I finished 5 for the week already

Did yoga & handstands :)

Life Quest:

Did some TSM work instead

Week 1, Day 7 (Sunday)

embrace_your_inner_nerd_poster-r212d4b06

Wait - maybe hubby would not like me posting that one. Uhhhh, it is directed at him! Yeah! ;)

Legs - split squats - 15 per leg (right leg is SUPER wobbly)

Core: V-ups 9,  and arm/leg lifts (back exercise): 15

Pushups: 8

Overhand rows: 7

Arms: Kayaking :)

Driveway recovery

Did yoga

Life Quest:

Off

• Like 3

Week 1 summary:

Success! Posted at least 5 times about the awesomeness of nerds or myself. :)

V-ups (to failure)         8:           Now 9.               Change: +1

Arm/leg raise (to boredom) 15: Now 15, but with better focus and form Change: +0

Split Squat 10 per leg:              Now 15               Change: +5

Floor pushups 8:                       Now 8                Change: +0

Overhand rows 6:                      Now 7.               Change: +1

Handstands: feel more stable. I never fall on my back anymore, just bail. Managed about 5 seconds twice during the week.

I did some exercises during the week, and am showing some improvement already. I would like to do more in certain areas, of course. :)If I have to give a grade, I will call it 75%.

Driveway fractals: 100%
Walked up and down the driveway, 1/2/3/4/5 separate times during the day

Yoga: 100%

Did yoga 5 times: T, Th, F, S, Sun

Mini Challenge: Participated!

Life Quest:

Success! I spent at least 5 hours in week 1 focused on pregnancy and birth stuff.

A pretty fantastic week, all in all. Sorry I was gone for parts of it.

• Like 2

Wow and hi. I'm late to check in with you, my positivity buddy, and my apologies. But thank you for such a great quest!

I'm focusing on smiles and fun, and on making walking an ingrained habit also - you are doing great with the fractals and upper body work. Can't wait to see what you dish out next week!

Thanks for checking in, and sorry I disappeared for a bit. That happens a lot in the summer (hubby's busy season). I will try to pop on a bit more consistently. :) So glad to see you here!

*waves*

hi, so much nerdy goodness over here, so I'll be hanging around! Week one looks like it was a good start!

Welcome! I think it was a good first week.

My relationship with body hair: http://sarahcandersen.com/post/91550090073

Birth nerds FTW!

That is an awesome comic! Glad the other NF birth nerd I know is still hanging around. :)

Ok - to get finally all caught up, here is my Monday recap:

Week 2, Day 1 (Monday)

Did not feel very awesome on Monday because my gut was bothering me. BUT, my body is awesome because even though I was not feeling well for much of the day, I was still able to keep working and functioning with relatively little disruption.

My food was awesome because I ate some clementines as a snack when I was not feeling well.

An awesome decision I made was to finish the arrangements for my TSM instead of waiting any longer.

Recovery

Walked up and down the driveway twice.

Did some handstands :)

Life Quest:

Did some TSM work instead

When it comes to awesome nerd shirts, this website is great! I keep laughing reading all the pics you can put on a shirt.

http://www.cafepress.com/+nerd+posters

• Like 1

It seems you've been pretty busy. Excellent!

The more I see it the more I like the nerdy thing in your challenge.

You know, I have this t-shirt, red with false suspenders drawn in black, and with the sentence "talk nerdy to me". Most people won't understand the sentence here, but last month I was wearing it while giving some lessons (yeah, I am lucky I can wear whatever I want to work) and I remember this boy, spanish but of scottish origin, looking at me like "oh, so she's even proud of it".

comics-shoeboxblog-nerd-geek-897380.jpeg

• Like 5

embrace_your_inner_nerd_poster-r212d4b06

I love this one :).

I have a T-shirt with the text "Baking is science for hungry people", which is awesome, because I love baking and I love looking at the science behind baking. It's much easier debugging your recipes if you know what's going on ;).

Also, my boyfriend gave me this T-shirt years ago:
useless.jpg

If you're into nerdy webcomics, xkcd is a good start (you might need xkcd explained from time to time ;) ).

You are doing great, keep it up :D.
  • Like 3

What a great week you had! :) It's really inspirational to see the progress of other people, and with the extra nerdiness in this thread the inspiration gets a little extra boost. ^^

Seconding Waanie's comment about xkcd; it's probably the best nerdy webcomic I know. And judging from the "baking is science"-shirt Questionable Content is to recommend as well. ;) I've actually got that same "normal approach"-shirt, plus this awesome one:

ymu9uha7.jpg

Text in the front and graph on the back. Bonus points if you recognize the graph. ;)

Tapatalk has no idea what I'm doing.

• Like 3

Level 4 Half-Elf Assassin

(that dabbles with the scouts)

Tumblr | Blog | Epic quest

"There is no such thing as perfection. The world itself is imperfect; that's what makes it so beautiful."

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines