Elsfaire (Re)Discovers the Awesomeness of Nerds

elsfaire

Ok, trying to catch up again some more. :)

Week 4, Day 1 -Monday

Nothing. Zip, zilch, nada. Felt icky in the morning, so did not even do a driveway walk (went back to bed for a bit instead). Spent all day messing with the router because hubby's business phone VOIP had garbage for call quality and was dropping sound and sometimes calls completely. Had a great Geek Game night, though. Had some of my nerdiness appreciated, and earned a new (positive) nickname. :)

Week 4 Day 2 - Tuesday

Most of the day was spent getting email folders ready to move to the new computer (I thought a pst file of over 2.5 GB was a bit large...)

Goal 1: Nerds are Awesome

Body: Since starting NF, I have progressed from chinup and pullup negatives that were basically falling, to being able to do 3 slow, controlled negatives (of each)

Food: Ate a fruit-only dinner to try to fight off the scratchy-throat monster that has been threatening me for a few days

Decision: Making time to fit in 3-4 sets of all my exercises while waiting for things to load on the computer.

Goal 2: Nerds like numbers and tracking

(done as independent sets throughout the day)

Pushups: 8,7,7,7

Bodyweight Rows:             8,8                         Chinup & Pullup negatives: 3 each, 3 each

Tuck-ups: 15, 15, 15

Arm/leg lifts: 18, 18, 18

Handstands: a couple kick-ups (I think I bend my back a lot)

Goal 3: Nerds like science (Fractal endurance training & flexibility)

Driveway walks - walked up and down 4 times, once

Some yoga

Mini-Challenge:

not revealed yet

Life Quest:
Not really, but got my first real class inquiry email. :)

• Like 3

Wow, you did really great on week 3! And week 4 also seems to be going great for you :). I also like the parkour rolls, although I'm not good at not hitting my shoulder yet. I alternately hit my shoulder and not hit my shoulder, depending on what I'm working on that moment. If I do slow, low rolls, my technique is fine, but when I try rolls from standing I often hit my shoulder or hip.

Good luck on week 4!

• Like 1

Hi Elsfaire

I like your challenge! :)

I would be interested to read your website, and as a techie I was also wondering if you are using a responsive Wordpress template?

p.s. as a musical vegan I liked reading about your history, too! :)

• Like 1

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Hi Elsfaire

I like your challenge! :)

I would be interested to read your website, and as a techie I was also wondering if you are using a responsive Wordpress template?

p.s. as a musical vegan I liked reading about your history, too! :)

Welcome, Eirlys! I need to find your challenge again. I think I lost track of you when the new one started. I need to keep up with all of the pregnant NF mamas. :pride: I will post a link to my site when the update is done, but I need to review the NF rules on that first so I do not offend anyone.

Yes, I am using a responsive template. :) Considering that most of my audience is Millenials (most pregnant women are 20-40 years old), I would be pretty silly not to. :) My husband's website is NOT responsive, but we know that most of his searches come from desktops, so we are ok there for a bit longer. I will probably get to update his site this winter, though, and then I get my way. Muahahaha!

A musical vegan - awesome! I have tips for eating enough protein during a vegan pregnancy, if you need them. though I am no longer vegan (went paleo - the almost opposite extreme), I still have a space in my heart reserved for vegans and vegetarians. And hubby is still ovo-veg. :orange:

• Like 3

I will post a link to my site when the update is done, but I need to review the NF rules on that first so I do not offend anyone.

As often as people spam links to El Diablo's and Waldo's sites without fuss, I'm sure you can post a link to your site too.

• Like 2

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Ok, trying to catch up again some more. :)

Week 4, Day 1 -Monday

Nothing. Zip, zilch, nada. Felt icky in the morning, so did not even do a driveway walk (went back to bed for a bit instead). Spent all day messing with the router because hubby's business phone VOIP had garbage for call quality and was dropping sound and sometimes calls completely. Had a great Geek Game night, though. Had some of my nerdiness appreciated, and earned a new (positive) nickname. :)

Week 4 Day 2 - Tuesday

Most of the day was spent getting email folders ready to move to the new computer (I thought a pst file of over 2.5 GB was a bit large...)

Body: Since starting NF, I have progressed from chinup and pullup negatives that were basically falling, to being able to do 3 slow, controlled negatives (of each)

Food: Ate a fruit-only dinner to try to fight off the scratchy-throat monster that has been threatening me for a few days

Decision: Making time to fit in 3-4 sets of all my exercises while waiting for things to load on the computer.

Hope you feel better soon.

Be careful with negatives. If you don't have enough strength, you can hurt your arms, esp. elbow.

Warm up with bent over row with milk jug or laundry detergent, and make sure you don't overstretch arms.

Take care.

• Like 1

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava

As often as people spam links to El Diablo's and Waldo's sites without fuss, I'm sure you can post a link to your site too.

Agreed!

• Like 1
Gnome Assassin: [3]
[sTR: 6] [DEX: 1] [STA: 5] [CON: 4] [WIS: 0] [CHA: 1]

âWhat we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. Albert Pike

Hope you feel better soon.

Be careful with negatives. If you don't have enough strength, you can hurt your arms, esp. elbow.

Warm up with bent over row with milk jug or laundry detergent, and make sure you don't overstretch arms.

Take care.

Thanks - When I first started doing negatives, I only did partial ones. I have only recently (a week or so ago) started doing full-extension ones, and seem to be ok so far. The DOMS after that first day of doing full range-of-motion was intense, though!

:lol:  This actually made me laugh out loud in my quiet, quiet office.  To boredom.. ha!

:) That is how I decided to stop. I think I am using better form now, though, because I can really only get to about 18 before getting sore and fatigued, and that was NOT the case the "boredom" day. I Think my next challenge might involve mixing up my workouts. I do get bored rather easily... Glad to entertain you! ;)

It must remain a mystery a bit longer.... But I feel better about posting it eventually.

Brain is on overdrive right now - I went to a party with a number of other childbirth professionals last night so I have ideas galore. Wahoo!

• Like 3

I'm envious of your self-confidence. I don't like shaving my legs (hair removal, in general), but I feel these social pressure upon me and I end up doing it. Apart from that, I like when somebody corrects me - one always learns something new.

I love the current trend of maxi dresses... wearing dresses in public + not shaving + not getting socially ridiculed ;) It's a 3-way tie of winning!

I love this one :).

I have a T-shirt with the text "Baking is science for hungry people", which is awesome, because I love baking and I love looking at the science behind baking. It's much easier debugging your recipes if you know what's going on ;).

Also, my boyfriend gave me this T-shirt years ago:
useless.jpg

If you're into nerdy webcomics, xkcd is a good start (you might need xkcd explained from time to time ;) ).

You are doing great, keep it up :D.

I have that same shirt and I luffs it.  I'm not a math nerd (very far from it) but I love love and I realize that love is irrational and that's part of the joke :P At least, I hope I'm on the right track, otherwise I've liked this shirt for all the wrong reasons. 

Elsfaire - good job on your progress and your steady updates!! Keep up the great work. 

• Like 1

Aminarra, level 2 Ranger

Main Quest: Stay Focused!

No, YOU'RE awesome.

Battle Log | Current Challenge

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 4

Quick positivity post:

Body: I like that I now tan more often than burning.

Food: Chose to eat a quick bowl of chili for breakfast instead of skipping or eating a bar.

Decision: going out to do 4 of my 5 driveway walks anyway, though I did not want to do ANY because it has been so hot (and my legs hurt).

• Like 1

Welcome, Eirlys! I need to find your challenge again. I think I lost track of you when the new one started. I need to keep up with all of the pregnant NF mamas. :pride: I will post a link to my site when the update is done, but I need to review the NF rules on that first so I do not offend anyone.

Yes, I am using a responsive template. :) Considering that most of my audience is Millenials (most pregnant women are 20-40 years old), I would be pretty silly not to. :) My husband's website is NOT responsive, but we know that most of his searches come from desktops, so we are ok there for a bit longer. I will probably get to update his site this winter, though, and then I get my way. Muahahaha!

A musical vegan - awesome! I have tips for eating enough protein during a vegan pregnancy, if you need them. though I am no longer vegan (went paleo - the almost opposite extreme), I still have a space in my heart reserved for vegans and vegetarians. And hubby is still ovo-veg. :orange:

I look forward to seeing the site :)  I search for most pregnancy info while on my mobile phone (usually searches like "19 weeks pregnant" and any random symptoms that I am having) and it's very frustrating to get slow-loading sites!

If your protein tips are to hand, I'd be interested (don't want to put you to any trouble)!  I try to eat beans, nuts, soya milk, soya yoghurts, lots of tofu products and have some vegan creatine powder every few days.  

I figure that if I was a meat-eater, I'd try paleo diet, although less of the bacon than most of the Rangers seem to approve of as apparently it's quite processed !

My husband is also ovo-veg, I think! (the kind of vegetarian that doesn't eat eggs?)

Hope you've had a fab weekend!!

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Week 4 Day 3 - 6 - Wednesday - Saturday

Got the new desktop completely set up, and did some other work stuff. Keep having the bit of a scratchy throat come back, then I make it go away, then it comes back... :nonchalance: I am in a pretty good mood, considering that and my ankles hurting.

Awesome things from these few days:

-Feeling generally happier

-It is easier to look at positive things

-I feel better about how my mind works, and it is easier to find examples of my style of thinking working well and appreciating it.

-Birth Network party on Friday night - hanging around and talking with other childbirth professionals. Yay!

Did some on Thursday - independent sets as follows:

Pushups: 8,9,9,7

Chinup & Pullup negatives: 3 each, 5 each, 3 each

Tuck-ups: N/A

Arm/leg lifts: N/A

Handstands: A bit here and there, but not much lately

Driveway walks - walked up and down 4 times:

Wednesday: twice (8 total loops)

Thursday: 3 times (one set was only up and down 3 times instead of 4 - got a business call I had to take) (11 total loops)

Friday: 3 times (12 total loops)

Saturday: 4 times (16 total loops)

I made the decision on Friday and Saturday to not walk as many times because my ankles hurt. A lot. Considering they were still sore today (Sunday), even after a bunch of stretching and foam rolling, I think it was the right decision)

Some yoga on Th, F, & Sat.

Mini-Challenge:

Nope. Completely forgot.

Life Quest:
Messed around some with trying to get the site organized and fully ready, mostly on Saturday.

Time for a funny awesomeness pic:

il_340x270.504085183_7s7i.jpg

I will catch up on replies and other threads (and the week 4 summary) on Tuesday, unless I end up sick and not attending game night tomorrow. I need to go to bed early to shake this illness before it gets established.

• Like 3

Good choice on taking care of the ankles.

Great report. You are owning this challenge.

via smoke signals from my Fire

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

I made the decision on Friday and Saturday to not walk as many times because my ankles hurt. A lot. Considering they were still sore today (Sunday), even after a bunch of stretching and foam rolling, I think it was the right decision)

ICE ICE ICE! I find it helps a lot 

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge :  TBD

I love the current trend of maxi dresses... wearing dresses in public + not shaving + not getting socially ridiculed ;) It's a 3-way tie of winning!

I haven't had a single person say one negative thing to my face about my hairy legs and underarms. Maybe it's because I'm fair, or maybe it's because I have an expression that says "don't mess with me or I'll punch you". ;)

-Birth Network party on Friday night - hanging around and talking with other childbirth professionals. Yay!

Woo! Fun! :D

• Like 1

Week 4 Day 7 Sunday

I really need to stay more on top of my updates. when it gets this long ago I tend to forget what I did....

Awesome things from Sunday

-Ordered take-out, so I did not have to cook

-Played a new game with the family

Not this day

Handstands: Don't think so

Driveway walks - recovery

Some yoga, I think...

Mini-Challenge:

Nope. Completely forgot.

Life Quest:
More website work. Figured out the problem with the sidebar being in the wrong place, so it looks much better now.

************Week 4 summary***************

Posted 3 times on 3 separate days about positivity or awesomeness. This needs some improvement, though I am doing MUCH better in RL in respect to appreciating myself. Still only 60%, though

V-ups (to failure)         8:           Now 11.               Change: +0

Arm/leg raise (to boredom pain) 15: Now 20       Change: +0

Split Squat 10 per leg:              Not tested           Change: ?

Floor pushups 8:                       Now 9                 Change: +1

Overhand rows 6:                      Not tested          Change: ?

Handstands: My handstand practice is really erratic. I keep forgetting because it is not as fun right now for some reason.

I did 1 real bodyweight workout this week, and 1 other day of good sets on the upper push/pull exercises. If I have to give a grade, I will call it 80%.

Driveway fractals: 85%
Walked up and down the driveway 4 loops, 1/2/2.75/3/4 separate times during the day

Yoga: 75%

Did yoga 4 times: T, Th, F, S, though most of those were very short

Mini Challenge: Nope. Forgot, unless gripping the bar during chinup and pullup negatives counts

Life Quest:

Pretty sure I spent enough time on this. Worked on my website a few hours each on Saturday & Sunday  100%

Week 4 did not go as well as week 3, though I did finally make some progress in pushups. :)

Week 3 Awesomeness to remember:

-Doing a set of *5* chinup negatives

-Going to the birth network party

Tweaks:

-Do pushups on at least 2 days like I had done for the PVP last challenge: 5-7 sets (or more) spread out over the course of the day. (Still on the list - want to continue in week 5)

-Strive to do an awesomeness post daily from my phone, regardless of whether or not I have time to do a daily summary. (Still on the list- needs to happen)

- Eat 3 meals every day, even if one of those meals is a heavy snack. I feel physically sore and it is hard to get myself moving. I think this has a lot to do with eating breakfast late, then not being hungry again until almost dinner time. As a result, I am eating 2 meals and a light snack (at most) on most days. That is not enough protein, carbs or anything (though I am not losing weight, either). Eating a bit smaller portions will help as well, I think.

• Like 4

Week 5 Day 1 & 2 – Monday & Tuesday

Still playing tag with the scratchy throat. Thought I finally had it beat on Monday after sleeping in a bunch, but then had some sugar (and grains) on Monday night and it came back.

Awesome things from these two days:

-Hubby asked me to help him research and figure something out because he “needed my brain.â€

-Ate 3 meals on both days (sometimes lunch is more of a heavy snack, but it counts!) Food

-My skin is clear Body

-Spent time with a friend while younger son was at practice instead of just doing more housework. Decision

Not yet this week

Handstands: Nope (really)

Driveway walks - walked up and down 5 loops:

Monday: none

Tuesday: once (5 total loops)

Yoga: a tiny bit on Tuesday. Does not really even count

Mini-Challenge:

Not yet

(Did do a few pk safety vaults while waiting for a friend at the park)

Life Quest:
Maybe a total of an hour trying to find a good class text/workbook to order.

• Like 3

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines