Elsfaire (Re)Discovers the Awesomeness of Nerds

elsfaire

Great job on your Decision! I think it is so important to get out and have relationships with other people. Actually, my current life them is "To discover how rich life can be when filled with intense relationships." This theme helps to remind me to get out and schedule time with friends and family to nurture those relationships rather than just getting things/work done all day every day.

• Like 2
Gnome Assassin: [3]
[sTR: 6] [DEX: 1] [STA: 5] [CON: 4] [WIS: 0] [CHA: 1]

âWhat we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. Albert Pike

Everything under Goal 1 sounds so great. :) The plan for three meals a day sounds good as well, and is probably something I should consider too. Why is it so easy not to eat at times?

• Like 1

Level 4 Half-Elf Assassin

(that dabbles with the scouts)

Tumblr | Blog | Epic quest

"There is no such thing as perfection. The world itself is imperfect; that's what makes it so beautiful."

It is DragonCon time again...

It is DragonCon time again...

You and the hubs going? I'm going Saturday only - missing the parade sadly. 

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge :  TBD

Considering it, though we may end up going just for the parade. Might be in the parade (with a group). Might bring the kids, might leave them home. Too many decisions!

We went down last night to meet up with some people, though. I was surprised how many were already in costume.

My brother and his girlfriend are coming in tonight from SFO ... I asked if he wanted to do dinner and he said no as he'll be getting signatures tonight. I was quite confused. Guy at work has friends who've been checked in at Con hotels for DAYS now ... DCon isn't what it used to be.

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22

Week 5 Day 3 Wednesday

Yesterday was not entirely what I expected, but good overall.

Goal 1: Nerds are Awesome

Awesome things from Wednesday

-Body: My legs are less flabby than they used to be

Food: I ate 3 meals.

Decision: Deciding to go back to bed for awhile to help heal this stupid scratchy throat (Actually this morning, but whatever)

Goal 2: Nerds like numbers and tracking

V-ups: 10

arm/leg raises: 20 per side

Pushups: 9, 8

chinup/pullup negatives: 4 each, 3 each

Handstands: A few kick-ups. No significant holds

Goal 3: Nerds like science (Fractal endurance training & flexibility)

Driveway walks - 2 sets of 5 loops each

Yoga - yes

Mini-Challenge:

No

Life Quest:
Updated my business card with the new business name and contact info, and sent it to hubby's computer to be printed (I don't have a printer). He thought the cards needed some jazzing up, and ended up reworking the entire image of the business. It makes me laugh, but I am not sure I can live up to it, so I actually was pretty distraught for awhile after that. I think I am settled now, and that it is a good thing, but I am just not completely sure.

• Like 4

Hey, it's ok to not be completely sure. I read this post like: encountered a change in expectations, was concerned, decided I could probably do it, moved forward.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Everything under Goal 1 sounds so great. :) The plan for three meals a day sounds good as well, and is probably something I should consider too. Why is it so easy not to eat at times?

I have no idea, Leothil. Sometimes it is because I am caught up in something ("I will just finish this one more thing, then eat breakfast"), but sometimes I am just not hungry. I do think that eating more regularly helps my endurance, though, and I need help with that. :)

Week 5 Day 4-5 Thursday & Friday

Body: I look pretty good in a morph suit, as long as I wear a padded bra :highly_amused:

Food: Made berry flavored protein/snack bars today. I think they will work for tomorrow at DragonCon.

Decision: I decided to blow off working a bit to run around with hubby and plan our costumes for the parade. We had fun, and I am in a good mood. (I even cleaned all the piled-up dishes!)

(all on Friday)

V-ups: 11

arm/leg raises: 20 per side

Pushups: 10

Bodyweight rows (making legs straighter) 8

Handstands: A few kick-ups Thur, 2 wall holds on Fri

Driveway walks - 2 sets of 5 loops each on Thursday
                          2 sets of 5 loops each on Friday (unless I squeeze in another one tonight - Ha!)

Yoga - yes Thurs, not yet Fri

Mini-Challenge:

No

Life Quest:
No. Had hubby set me on another important project that his brain does not handle well. *sigh* I am glad I can do it and that he has faith in me, but this is part of what keeps happening to my project stuff and why I still have not made anything of my book series in 8 years. :hopelessness:

Off to Dragon-Con tomorrow - I may not update until later in the (long) weekend, but I will try to take lots of awesome pictures of the costumes, science, and so on! If you are at the parade, watch for the aliens....

• Like 2

Off to Dragon-Con tomorrow - I may not update until later in the (long) weekend, but I will try to take lots of awesome pictures of the costumes, science, and so on! If you are at the parade, watch for the aliens....

Have fun storming the castle!

• Like 2

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Can't wait for pictures!

Regarding your husband and life stuff - I have a HUGE problem carving out time to work on things that are important to me when there are so many other things that need to be done for and with other people. The only way I've been able to do it is schedule it out - so I'll have an exercise schedule, and knitting gets done at knitting night so I can say "knitting this week, of really like to go."

Can you plan out a time for your life stuff and say : yes, I will work on the problem but this afternoon is my scheduled life stuff and I need to take care of that first. Can it wait until after that's done?

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Have fun storming the castle!

We did have fun - but missed Cary Elwin.

Can't wait for pictures!

Regarding your husband and life stuff - I have a HUGE problem carving out time to work on things that are important to me when there are so many other things that need to be done for and with other people. The only way I've been able to do it is schedule it out - so I'll have an exercise schedule, and knitting gets done at knitting night so I can say "knitting this week, of really like to go."

Can you plan out a time for your life stuff and say : yes, I will work on the problem but this afternoon is my scheduled life stuff and I need to take care of that first. Can it wait until after that's done?

I need to do that. The main issue, I think, is that I really am not making "my stuff" a priority. It appears that everything else is more important or urgent than what I want to do. I have been better about carving out time for exercise, but not the healthy pregnancy work. My other issue is fear, but that is another topic...

Oh, have fun at Dragon-Con!!!

It was fun! I went out without my human mask on for the day. :highly_amused:

The majority of the pictures we took are in this album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.769203289809131.1073741828.769181819811278&type=3

We ended up not taking as many pictures of the costumes as we would have usually, but there were a ton of cool ones.

And 1 final nerd funny picture:

asteroids (Medium)

• Like 4

GREAT photos! :)

Half-Ork Scout Leader

Week 5 Day 6-7 Saturday & Sunday

DragonCon! Need I say more? :playful:

Nope. Saturday we went to the con, and Sunday was recovery

Handstands: A few kick-ups Sunday

Nope. But I did a TON of walking around and up and down stairs on Saturday. I think I ran the parade route 3 times by going back and forth across the road. :)

Yoga - Sunday did stretching

Mini-Challenge:

No

Life Quest:
No. Sunday was a bit of a spacey day. I just did a bunch of random stuff, but nothing physical.

************Week 5 summary***************

Goal 1: Nerds are Awesome W, Th, F
Posted 3 times about positivity or awesomeness. This needs some improvement  60%

V-ups (to failure)         8:           Now 11.               Change: +0

Arm/leg raise (to boredom pain) 15: Now 20       Change: +0

Split Squat 10 per leg:              Not tested           Change: ?

Floor pushups 8:                       Now 10 (sometimes)  Change: +2

Overhand rows 6:                      8 (legs out more)       Change: +2

Handstands: My handstand practice is really erratic. I did a bit on 3 days, and I can tell I am backsliding in my ability to hold one at all, ever.

I did 1 real bodyweight workout this week, and 1 other day of a few sets of core exercises and 1 set of pushups. I will call it 70%.

Driveway fractals: 53% (60% - see below)
Walked up and down the driveway 5 loops, 1/2/2/2/1 separate times during the day
      If I give myself a bit of benefit for the ton of walking I did at DragonCon, I can bring it up to 60 or 67%. Still failing)

Yoga: 60%

Did yoga 3 times: T, W, Sat though most of those were very short

Mini Challenge: Not at all. Just not motivated for it this challenge.

Life Quest:

1 hr Tuesday, 1 hr Wed. 40%

Week 5 was pretty much a flop. Driveway walks have gotten hard because each set now takes a LONG time (about 15 minutes), even if I jog up most of the hill during the middle sets. For some reason, my legs are nearly always sore by the time I make it to the top of the first loop. Also, it has gotten BORING to go up and down that hill. Sometimes I read the boards on my phone while I walk, bu then it takes longer... Also, I have been inconsistent with BW workouts the entire challenge, and that did not change this week. Some of the poor goal completion in week 5 was a conscious decision because of DragonCon, but mostly I just feel unmotivated. :numbness:

Week 5 Awesomeness to remember:

- Costuming up at Dragon Con and having a blast at the parade.

- Fun costume shopping/planning with hubby.

Tweaks:

- When I am choosing goals for my challenges, be sure to consider how much time they will take. A few minutes a number of times a day is do-able, 15+ minutes is very difficult.

- Get enough sleep!

- Choose goals that are motivating. Yes, I like to track things, but tracking just for the sake of tracking becomes tedious fairly quickly.

• Like 1

Week 6 Day 1-2 Monday & Tuesday

Aaaahhhhhh! It is week 6! I am not sure if I am happy this challenge is almost done, or disappointed that I do not have much time left to redeem myself.

Body: I am glad that I have a fairly good heat tolerance.

Food: Been much better about eating 3 meals each day.

Decision: Re-focusing on holding my kids accountable for their chores.

Recovery (well...)

Handstands: Monday. I have decided to consistently work on wall handstands. I want to be able to reliably hold a 10-second handstand.

1 set of 6 driveway loops on Tuesday, plus a long walk.

Yoga - Yoga Monday, some stretching Tuesday

Mini-Challenge:

No. Don't even know what it is yet.

Life Quest:
Tried a bit on Monday, but got distracted by other things instead.

This week is looking better so far, but not great. Yet.

• Like 1

Week 6 Day 3-4 Wednesday & Thursday

Going ok so far...

2478.jpg

Hahahahaha - I just need to remember to not explain the science to those around me unless they want to know. :)

Seriously - I realized today exactly how many things my "nerdy" brain lets me do. It can be frustrating and exhausting sometimes, because I feel like I am constantly switching gears, but I am able to solve just about any problem that gets in my way, even if I did not have any prior knowledge in that area. :pride:

Wednesday - did what counts as a BWW

V-ups: 9

arm/leg raise: 23

Pushups: 10, 7

Bodyweight rows: 12, 4 (the 2nd set was full bodyweight - no leg help)

Handstands: Wednesday - did 3 sets of wall handstands to try to work on strength and balance more. During the 3rd set, I somehow fell on my head (left arm kind of gave out and could not bail because I was falling towards the wall). I took the rest of Wednesday and Thursday off from handstands. I am feeling fine now, so i will try more wall handstands tomorrow. But I will pay closer attention to my arm strength level. :redface-new:

1 set of 6 driveway loops on Wednesday,

3 sets of 6 driveway loops on Thursday

Yoga - Wed - 15 minutes of a good combination routine.

Thursday - off to do yoga now, before bed. :)

Mini-Challenge:

No. Don't even know what it is yet. It has not been a priority for me this challenge.

Life Quest:
Tried to work on it on Wednesday, but my laptop was being flaky and I could not access the internet. Ended up spending the time (unsuccessfully) trying to fix the internet access problem instead. Spent about 30 minutes on Thursday getting some cleaning up done in WordPress (updates, comment filtering, etc.).

simon-pegg-being-a-geek-enjoy-honest-lib

• Like 2

Wordpress comments makes me shiver ... SO many spambots out there trolling wordpress sites

Half-Ork Scout Leader

Wordpress comments makes me shiver ... SO many spambots out there trolling wordpress sites

I might have missed something.. what's with wordpress?  I'm on wordpress.... :D

--- 

Anyway, Elsfaire - I'm back.  I took some time to myself, and now I'm re-focused and re-energized.  I started my last new thread, which I'll use from here on out, and you can find it Here.

I'm back to following your posts, too, and I'm really happy to see that you're still rocking the positivity :D

• Like 1

Aminarra, level 2 Ranger

Main Quest: Stay Focused!

No, YOU'RE awesome.

Battle Log | Current Challenge

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 4

I might have missed something.. what's with wordpress?  I'm on wordpress.... :D

I used to get TONS of spambot comments on my website (which is wordpress) - which reminds me I need to update/overhaul said site... ugh

Half-Ork Scout Leader

I might have missed something.. what's with wordpress? I'm on wordpress.... :D

---

Anyway, Elsfaire - I'm back. I took some time to myself, and now I'm re-focused and re-energized. I started my last new thread, which I'll use from here on out, and you can find it Here.

I'm back to following your posts, too, and I'm really happy to see that you're still rocking the positivity :D

Hooray! I am glad that you are back, Aminarra. :)

The Wordpress discussion is concerning my pregnancy & childbirth class website. I am switching it from Expression Web to Wordpress and undergoing a learning curve. :)

Quick positivity post:

Body- I am fairly flexible

Food- I ate a fruit snack today

Decision- talked myself out of a bad mood and decided to do the 7-day positivity challenge.

Bonus: I am *really* good at solving problems. A benefit of my nerd brain is that I can learn and use whatever is needed for the current situation. :)

• Like 3

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines