Elsfaire (Re)Discovers the Awesomeness of Nerds

elsfaire

hey! hope your weekend was just brilliant and wonderfulness!

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Great end to week 6. Love your bonus thought, how you are good at solving problems. sometimes with stuff we're good at we just take for granted but then focus on all the things we aren't good at.

How do you think your challenge went overall?

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hi all - I am still around, it has just been a busy week. Some of it was manufactured busy (I decided over the weekend to devote spare computer time to finishing my website instead of surfing the NF boards), and some was true busy. But here I am to catch up and do a challenge review. :)

decided to do the 7-day positivity challenge

What would be that?

I have heard of it before, but there is a video on Youtube in which the guy explains it (around 16:30 in this video). Essentially, it means that you decided not to engage an negative thoughts for 7 days. If you have a negative thought, you need to redirect it, think about how that thing could be neutral or positive, or distract yourself within about a minute. If you are stuck with teh negative thought for longer than that, then you start the 7 days over.

Hi Elsfaire - is that you as the green alien in those photos????!!!!! :)

Alien? There are aliens?  :tongue:  I have not had the opportunity to meet the tourists myself, but here is a butterfly stretch progress photo from the end of my second challenge:

14111014238_1c437d500d_s.jpg

hey! hope your weekend was just brilliant and wonderfulness!

Thanks!

Great end to week 6. Love your bonus thought, how you are good at solving problems. sometimes with stuff we're good at we just take for granted but then focus on all the things we aren't good at.

How do you think your challenge went overall?

That is coming up -maybe tomorrow, depending on how long the other update takes me, and what family stuff pops up. :)

• Like 2

Week 6 Days 5-7 Friday - Sunday

I wanted to finish the challenge strong, and in some ways I did. I also made some conscious decisions that effected it a lot, though.

Goal 1: Nerds are Awesome

I posted positivity once during these days.

Goal 2: Nerds like numbers and tracking

Did a decent (for me) bodyweight workout on both Friday (2 sets of each kind of exercise) and Sunday (3 sets of each type of exercise).

Handstands: I did at least 1 each day. The most was Sunday, when I did wall handstands 3 times.

Goal 3: Nerds like science (Fractal endurance training & flexibility)

I decided to abandon the driveway fractals. It was boring, I did not feel like it was ll that beneficial, and I was having trouble with my ankles every time I got to a certain number of loops per day.

Yoga - Yes on Friday and Saturday.

Mini-Challenge:

No. Never checked for a post.

Life Quest:
This is the main reason I was not on the boards over the weekend and on Monday. I decided to spend my "free" computer time getting my website (mostly) buttoned up. I am happy because I did it - the site is now completely converted to WordPress. There are a couple of things that need to be buttoned up (the testimonials are not quite working properly and I want to change the sidebars up), and I want to add a LOT more of the content that used to be on my old pregnancy site (as well as other content I have been planning for the last few years), but it is good enough to show the world now. :) For those of you who have been asking, here is the URL: http://pocketpregnancyplanner.com/

So, that is it! Full challenge summary (and maybe a graph) will follow.

• Like 1

********Challenge Summary*********

Goal 1: Nerds are Awesome! (+2 WIS, +2 CHA)

At least 5 days per week, post something awesome about myself or about nerds in general. This can be text, pictures, videos, whatever.

Average: 73%, assigned grade: B- :playful: +1 Wis and +1 Cha

Assessment:

Making a challenge goal that depends on me posting a certain number of times per week does not fit with my life/schedule, or at least my mindset. I have been thinking a lot more positively again, but not liking making such posts from my phone (and wanting to post more pics) made the practice of posting not a frequent as I had wanted. Still, I feel that the intention was accomplished - I feel better about who and what I am. Awarding only half of the stat points: 1 Wis and 1 Cha

Goal 2: Nerds like numbers and tracking (+3 STR)

Track (and show improvement) in 5 basic exercises, plus handstands. At least once a week, test myself and log the result in 5 basic exercises (pushups, overhand rows, split squats, V-ups and arm-leg raises) and handstands.

Average: 82  Assigned grade: B+, awarding +2 STR

Assessment:

V-ups (to failure)         8:                   Now 12                Change: +4

Arm/leg raise (to boredom pain) 15: Now 25                Change: +10

Split Squat 10 per leg:                      Now 21                Change: +11

Floor pushups 8:                              Now  9/10            Change: +1 or 2

Overhand rows 6:                             Now 11                 Change: +5

Handstands: less stable than challenge start

I actually did better in this than I thought I was doing, though I am disappointed in the progress in pushups. Going to give myself a B+ because I did track, and I did make progress, except in handstands. This goal was set intentionally to be easy to meet.

Goal 3: Nerds like science (Fractal endurance training & flexibility) (+3 STA, +2 DEX)
I will climb up and down our driveway on the following schedule, at least 5 days per week:

Weekly – begin with 1 time up and down the driveway, increasing one time each week until week 6 is 6 times up and down

Daily – Day 1 of each week, I climb the driveway once during the day. Each day, I add one time during the day that I go up and down the driveway that many times.

Average: 59%  Assigned grade: 70 (barely passing C), awarding +1 STA

Assessment:

I did great with this in the first half of the challenge, then it went downhill (pun intended). Apparently, I am not tricked into building stamina and I will need to think of something else next challenge. Still, I am able to walk up our hill more without getting winded like I used to, so I have improved my stamina slightly. Allowing myself a barely passing grade and 1/3 of my original points.

I will also do stretches or yoga at least 5 times a week.

Average: 85  Assigned grade: B, awarding +1 DEX

Assessment:

While my overall challenge grades were good for most weeks, I do not feel that the stretching and yoga sessions were significant enough to really make progress this challenge. They mostly helped me maintain current flexibility. I will be switching this up a bit next challenge.

Life Quest Goal: Nerds Rule the World by sharing knowledge they love with others (+2 CON, +1 CHA)

Spend a minimum of 5 hours a week on my website, marketing, and designing class content

Average: 80  Assigned grade: B, awarding +1 CON, +1 CHA

Assessment:

There were some weeks that I did not work much on this goal, but in other weeks I more than made up for it. If you were to take that into consideration, the average would be an A. :peaceful:  On the positive side, I have made some changes that mean spending at least 5 hours a week on my pregnancy health stuff should be easy. On the negative side, those 5 hours a week did not accomplish as much as I had hoped they would. :numbness: Giving myself a B, but a pretty contented one.

Overall challenge grade: B

Nothing was really stellar, but I did plod along and make at least some progress on all my goals.

Lessons:

- Loosely structured challenges like these are ok for maintenance, but they don't help me make a lot of progress. I need more structure for that so I do not spend so much time thinking about what to do.

- I can be more forgiving of myself now, and focus on intent instead of just the numbers. :)

I am sure there is more, but I am tired and need to get to bed. :)

• Like 7

I think you did good. A lot of work done, you've been active the whole time, and you've made big progress concerning your business life. I would consider an A for some of those Bs, but I get it, you are hard on yourself like I do ;)

What are you doing next?

• Like 1

I agree, this was a great challenge! and next one will be even BETTERER!

• Like 3

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Thanks everyone!

Here is the new challenge:

Elsfaire prepares for the Top Secret Mission

• Like 1

Congrats on a fab & productive challenge, elsfaire!

Am just browsing through your website now :)  Useful to read the 'what to do in a winter storm' article as baby is due in January... although as I live in a much milder city climate, am hoping that the weather won't get in the way too much!  I have generally being avoiding reading/watching anything to do with the labour process as the thought scares me :D

• Like 1

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Congrats on a fab & productive challenge, elsfaire!

Am just browsing through your website now :)  Useful to read the 'what to do in a winter storm' article as baby is due in January... although as I live in a much milder city climate, am hoping that the weather won't get in the way too much!  I have generally being avoiding reading/watching anything to do with the labour process as the thought scares me :D

I completely understand that feeling. Ironically, learning more about the labor process helps get rid of much of that fear. Our bodies are made for having babies (among many other awesome things), and our biggest job is really learning how to get out of the way, and have great support people around so we can trust the process. :) It really does work. :) I don't just teach this stuff, I had 2 kids without pain medication. Not everyone chooses that route, which is fine. Learning about birth helps a lot in any case.

I wrote that "winter Storm" post when they had predicted our ice storm last year. We all figured it would not be much because we rarely get any snow at all, but this was the one that shut down the entire city of Atlanta for 4 days (it was a COMPLETE standstill in traffic for about 16 hours). So, yeah, it is good to know. :tongue:

• Like 2

The easy address is www.pocketpregnancy.com

Glad you want to check it out. Feedback is always welcome. :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines