Bregalad's Newest Adventures

bregalad5

Hopefully this will be my last challenge that has crazy changes happening during it :P But, this one’s the biggie, as my triathlon happens at the end of Week 3! Eeeeeep!

I’m going to add stats to my goals this time around :)

Alright, so, my goals this challenge are as follows:

--Run/Bike/Swim 4 days a week (+1 stamina)
--Indoor bodyweight training 5 days a week (+1 strength)
--Finish my triathlon on August 16. Time doesn’t matter one bit. What matters is finishing, and doing my best. (+1 stamina)
--Continue to drink 2-3 liters of water (+1 hydration – hahaha)

--Begin to do some beginner yoga stuff to limber myself up (+1 mobility)

Side challenge:
--Find a gym near my apartment in St Petersburg once I figure out where I’m living – this one may run into the next challenge.

The changes happening during this challenge are:

--Visiting my friend in Utah from the 14th-21st of August (she’s the one doing the tri with me)
--Moving back to Russia on September 2nd

My mantra during races:

run-when-you-can-dean-karnazes-quote.jpg

This is the quote on my RoadID dog tag:
The-Miracle-isnt-that-I-FINISHED-The-Mir

Rachel's Epic Deed List, aka my Bucket List   Bregalad? Sounds familiar...

Quest #1 Quest #2 Quest #3
"The sight of the huge world put mad ideas into me; as if I could wander away, wander forever, see strange and beautiful things, one after the other to the world's end." ~ CS Lewis

"Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going." ~Samwise Gamgee

Sounds like good goals, good luck with the move back to Russia!

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

RAIN RAIN (AND THUNDERSTORMS) GO  AWAY COME AGAIN AFTER MY TRIATHLON SO I CAN TRAIN!

Ugh, been stuck indoors all week due to it pouring (like, sounds like golf balls hitting the roof) and thundering every damn time I want to go out to run/ride (which also knocks out my internet, ughhh. hard to do my grad school assignments with no internet!)... Going to try to sneak in between bouts of rain in a few after my dinner settles, as long as it doesn't rain right as I'm going to step outside, haha. More rain forecast for this weekend, too.

Other than the storms, everything's going swell. Staying nicely hydrated, stretching/yoga, and doing some indoor stuff :)

"The sight of the huge world put mad ideas into me; as if I could wander away, wander forever, see strange and beautiful things, one after the other to the world's end." ~ CS Lewis

"Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going." ~Samwise Gamgee

Ended up getting in a run last night. Only got 1.7 miles before my new insoles decided to make my feet feel like I was stepping on razor blades. I actually stopped running and took them out of my shoes, haha. Guess I didn't break them in long enough! Resting my feet today and going to a rodeo tonight. Tomorrow will be busy with a birthday party all day (my niece and brother's birthdays today - were born exactly 20 years apart!), then the Magic Mile on Sunday :)

I have the lovely privilege of doing my runs and bike rides in a wildlife refuge, at least until I move again, as it's across the street from my parents' house. Took a picture for you guys where I turned around on my run. Unfortunately it's not the greatest picture, but oh well, I tried :P 

IMAG0502.jpg

Did it ever stop raining?

Heh, yes, but only when I'm not home, or can't get out :/ I'm getting really frustrated. Spent all day yesterday at my sister's in-laws' lake house (on Lake Ontario). It was a beautiful day, but as we neared home it began to completely pour and was pouring all into the night. Today I was home and it was only sprinkling, but I was watching my three year old niece, so couldn't go out, ha.

Ahhhh! The universe is against me!

Looks like I *may* get a couple days of dry coming up! http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/14103

Got up at 6:30, drove to the pool, did a 300 meter swim, drove home, hopped on the bike (in my wet clothes since there's no changing in triathlons!), rode 5.45 miles to the nature walk, ran that 1.3 miles, rode the 5.45 miles home. Triathlon in 12 days!

So proud of myself. I'm a night owl. Like, a serious night owl (I prefer to go to bed at 4am and get up at noon). It was tough to get out of bed to go but I DID IT!! :D :D I really don't have much of a choice since free swim is only from 6-8am ... Going to try to hit up the pool 4 days this week, when I have access to my dad's car (I don't have a car...)

Hoping by the end of the week to do three laps around the nature walk (or 2.5 and walk the last half) - but this was my first time really, truly doing everything back-to-back and I wanted to make sure I'd survive the ride back home!

Pictures from today's adventure on the wildlife refuge (by the way, THIS IS THE REAL NEW YORK! Haha... this is what 99% of the state looks like!):

Where I parked the bike:

IMAG0506.jpg

The start of the nature path:

20140804_083919.jpg

Probably should've stopped moving to take this one, ha:

20140804_084125.jpg

Wow!! You've been busy!! Great pictures.

Yeah, I'm home so rarely I like to spend as much time as I can with the family (and doing my grad school work, unfortunately - I'm so tired of it). I tend to put myself second.

Did another 11 miles on the bike yesterday with the same run around the nature trail. Taking today off to rest and I'll do more again tomorrow :) *fingers crossed it doesn't rain!*

Here are the stretches I've been working on, along with getting better about daily foam/back rolling: http://www.fitbodyhq.com/fitness/12-great-stretches-for-tight-hip-flexors/  It's been helping my back a lot, which has gotten extremely tight and painful during exercise.

11 mile ride followed by a 1.44 mile run. Didn't break it up today. Rode to the trail and turned around to ride back home then drank a ton of water and headed out by foot.

Also did 34 minutes of yoga and drank 2L of water today

The triathlon is on Saturday! A marathon is on my bucket list, but not yet ;)

Gotta go to the store, so going to ride there and back. I have three different options, using the 5.5-ish mile route there:

1 - short way, which will be just over 11 miles

2-  re-route option to extend it to just over 13 miles

3 - re-route option to extend it to just over 15 miles

We'll see what I decide ...

Hehe it's ok! I have a few people who keep asking me when my marathon is instead of my triathlon, so I'm used to it :) I chuckled...

I ended up going my long route today. SO PROUD OF MYSELF!! :D:D:D

811ride.jpg

• Like 2

And rightly so.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Well, I did it! 2:14:46 (this is overall, so includes transitions which, putting on knee braces when wet is a lengthy process...). It's slow, but I finished!! :D For some reason they chopped off part of the bike course, so it ended up only being 10 miles. I'm not sure on my official times (I'll update you when I can) but according to my RunKeeper, my bike was around 58 minutes and my run (which was walked because I had NOTHING left in my tank - I wanted to die) was 53. Yeaaaaaaaaah... I'm just so damn proud of myself that I broke down and cried.
This girl who is 240 pounds, has fibromyalgia, and whose kneecaps dislocate just finished a freaking triathlon! :D :D :D

• Like 1

I want to like it 1,000 times!! Congrats, Rachel!! You are an amazing beast!!

Thanks! :D:D I posted a few pics in the general thread :) Headed back to NY (from Utah) tomorrow so I'll be back on the exercise train on Friday :)

Forgot about our church picnic today, meaning I have been out and about ever since I got home on Friday afternoon. Phew. I did go kayaking today, though! So I'll count that as something :) Stretching tonight, and hopefully I'll get in a bike ride tomorrow :)

Hey Rachel! How are you? I’ve met a Level One who just completed her first Tri, just like you! For this week’s side challenge all you have to do is go say hi and make a new friend. Her name is Ryoko – the link is right here!

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51528-ryoko-ryokos-first-quest-in-honor-of-a-fallen-comrade/

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines