jstanlick: Picking Myself Back Up

jstanlick

Stupid stomachs.  Who needs 'em?

But you still did a bit of running! Whoo hoo!

But black stuff in your water?  Yeah!  That's winning!!!

I did run some, but the stomach, yeah, no fun.

You would think with stomach issues the diet part of things would be easy. However, while I'm trying to concentrate on keeping carbs low, I've noticed that fats have skyrocketed. That can't be a good thing. We'll see what the scale says, but just wasn't in the mood for lean proteins yesterday. And Monday was too much of everything.

But today, no black stuff in my water. Cuz I'm not drinking that water! :D

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Someone shared this with me on Facebook today. I'm gonna put it here for any of you wishing to read it.

https://medium.com/bad-words/how-not-to-suck-ed74f92541d9

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

That was from the first movie, right? Man, its been so long since I've watched Mulder and Scully, I'm drawing a blank on what happened when. :(

I never watched X Files.  It was on when I was in grad school and stuff and well... I had other things to do.  I missed out I suspect. 

I wonder what the black stuff in your water was.... eewwwwww.

As for the blog read, I'm pretty sure all I have to do to be great and wonderous is post that I am, in fact, great and wonderous.  BAM!

tony_stark___i__m_this_awesome_by_storkr

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Yeah, I'm seriously debating bringing in my own water. For now, I've been sticking to the molten lava temperature coffee as I'd be surprised anything can live in that. If it does, that's one tough organism and it would probably get me one way or another anyway. But, I'm also all kinds of jittery as a result.

The part if the blog that I liked was where he said the path to be great and wondrous was to help others become great and wondrous. Well, that and the people suck because they choose to suck. Its kind of the corollary to happiness is a choice.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm seriously debating bringing in my own water. For now, I've been sticking to the molten lava temperature coffee as I'd be surprised anything can live in that. If it does, that's one tough organism and it would probably get me one way or another anyway. But, I'm also all kinds of jittery as a result.

Pretty sure creepy micro organisms don't present as black gunk in your water.  That's probably industrial waste.... still suggest staying away.

Although, I'll drink pretty much any water.  LOL. 

The part if the blog that I liked was where he said the path to be great and wondrous was to help others become great and wondrous. Well, that and the people suck because they choose to suck. Its kind of the corollary to happiness is a choice.

YES!  In all my leadership training, the one consistency is helping others become better by letting them become better - not by managing them into the ground or squashing them, etc.  I just read a great book on great leadership and it really focuses on finding people's strengths and working with those to maximize THEM (not you). 

Actually, just had that conversation with ye olde intern - told him what a joy it was to put his work in front of the COO and have the COO pleased.  His work!  And he presented yesterday to a VP and a director and the director applauded his work!  I just sat there and smiled at him.  My idea, my direction, his project.  His growth.  His credit.  He's wonderful

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

The blog reminded me of a book I recently The Compassionate Samurai.  One of the key points of the book is that EVERYTHING in life (good and bad) results from YOUR OWN choices.  Your boss undervalues you?  You chose to stay in that job and not fight for yourself.  You just set a PR for your 5K time? YOU Chose to get up every morning and train!  If you submit to that mentality than in naturally follows that life's problems are not to be "woe is me" or "it's not fair."  Your choices got you here but they can also get you to greatness!  AND more importantly, on the way to greatness a Compassionate Samurai will allow others to achieve greatness with them, instead of stepping on them to "get ahead".  Anyway that's my rant and now I need to go re-read that book.

• Like 1

Half/Ogre, Ranger Level 0

STR: 0, Dex: 0, STA: 0, Con: 0, WIS: 0, CHA: 0

My idea, my direction, his project. His growth. His credit. He's wonderful

Then by the blog's logic (& my personal opinion) you're wonderful too.

The blog reminded me of a book I recently The Compassionate Samurai. One of the key points of the book is that EVERYTHING in life (good and bad) results from YOUR OWN choices. Your boss undervalues you? You chose to stay in that job and not fight for yourself. You just set a PR for your 5K time? YOU Chose to get up every morning and train! If you submit to that mentality than in naturally follows that life's problems are not to be "woe is me" or "it's not fair." Your choices got you here but they can also get you to greatness! AND more importantly, on the way to greatness a Compassionate Samurai will allow others to achieve greatness with them, instead of stepping on them to "get ahead". Anyway that's my rant and now I need to go re-read that book.

Interesting. I think I found a book to get from the library for vacation. Thanks, man!

Looks like the author has written a few books in the last couple if years I might be interested in.

The worst part about a vacation -- other than the 4 year old asking me if we're there yet...5,000,000,000 times -- is all of the work you have to put in before going on vacation to make sure things go smoothly while you're gone. So, my updates have been short things I could type in Tapatalk on my phone between meetings or while waiting for testing processes to finish. However, since I busted my ass the last 4 days I find myself with some slow time at work. 

So, yesterday was a good not great 5K run. Why not great? It felt great, I felt strong and I had fun, so why not great? Turns out I was not going as fast as I thought I was. It was faster than anything I've run in the last 3 weeks, but not as fast as I thought. That first mile was much slower than I thought it was, so my overall time suffered. However, I once again continued to get faster the longer I ran. When mile 3 is starting to get faster than mile 2, something must be going right with the rest of your training. So, it was a good run.

On the diet front, it's not been good. Those stupid carbs are found in a lot of places I wouldn't expect. On the plus side, My Fitness Pal thinks I'm doing an excellent job on total calories consumed. But, if I'm going to make this work and follow the doc's orders of lowering my carb intake, the protein needs to go higher, because my fat intake has indeed increased while the protein intake is remaining rather constant. So far, 3 days this week my carb intake has been around where I want it to be (average 113g/day). The 2 other days however, I averaged 206g/day. that's waaaaaayyyy too high. While protein is hovering around 100g/day and fats, well they're too high too. (94g/day) What's worse is that my highest fat intake days coincide with my highest carb intake days. No wonder the doc wants my carb intake to go down. High carbs, spike the insuloin and fat gets stored. Yay me. But, it's not a total loss. Some days I've done well. I just need to get rid of those high spiked days. Which will be interesting with vacation starting Saturday and spending a week with extended family -- at least its the part of the family I enjoy spending time with. There's just usually a bit too much food and beer after a day of skiing and fishing. Repeat 6x.

Speaking of vacation. We leave tomorrow. And for the first time in a decade, I won't be on call! HOW FREAKIN' COOL IS THAT?!?!? A decade. A damn decade. I never once was allowed on vacation without being reachable. Even when my kids were born. Now that I'm at the new job I keep asking myself why didn't leave the old job sooner. My answer is simply that it wasn't painful enough to spark me to action. And, it was easier to complain about what was wrong rather than doing something about it. Plus, they kept giving me raises. Lesson learned. No bitching, just identify it and do something about it and don't let the money fool you.

Anyway, where was I? SQUIRREL!! Oh yeah, I just need to get in a burpee run in the morning before we leave and my PLP reps. That might be tough to keep up during vacation. I'm not sure where I'll be able to do my pull-ups. But, I'm gonna try. My back feels stronger and I think I'm seeing better shape in my arms and shoulders. Yep, shoulders. I think the pull-ups are helping my posture. I don't seem to sit and stand so rounded over now. So, I definitely want to keep that going. Plus, I haven't missed a day yet. I don't want the streak broken :D

Happy thoughts have been challenged by outsiders this week. Tuesday night especially. Nothing like going to a meeting of volunteers at our church and getting verbally attacked by someone because I sit on the Finance committee. Apparently, they take it personally that the Finance committee has to approve expenditures. I kinda thought that was a major duty of a finance committee, but I was told I was wrong. Yet, I sat back, listened to what this individual had to say, calmly (which took a lot of effort) explaining to them the mission of finance and the fact that we are responsible for all spending, not just her committee's spending and one needs to take in the entire picture, especially since we're in debt and donations are down. Despite being called names, the information she provided will be most useful in the future. Based on her feedback, I think I've come up with a way to increase donations, decrease the debt, and make the folks in her area feel heard at the same time. Granted, I'm not really giving them what they want, but making it look like they're tantrums are getting them want they want, but I don't think any of them are smart enough to see that. If I can get us closer to the black, then I honestly don't care what they think. Is that negative? I don't think so. I counting this as 5 days straight so far.

so much.

Let's work up:

1.  community organization people are CRAZY.  Learned my lessons over the years.  My in-laws have too.  FIL is big time overseer of the $ at his church.  *sigh*  I hear ya.  I learned to just go into every meeting saying "they all crazy!" and spend time in every meeting sitting calmly reminding myself "they all crazy!".  In retrospect, it made me a calmer person AND has lead to my not serving on community groups for a long time.  I'm sorry you are going through this.  Boo.  Remember... they all crazy!

2.  The run.... seems like you need a warm up run to hit your pace.  Can you just warm up .25 mi and then start the pace?  Do runners do that?  Like a warm up set?

3.  ugh... carbs. Where are you finding your carbs?  Green veg aren't as carb-a-rific as starchy veg.  etc.  I know a lot about the carbs...

4.  Vacation.  Vacation. vacation.  I ask "are we there yet?" 10 bazillion times.  I hate riding in any moving vehicle.  Drives me batty. So, I love your kid.

And as for not being on call and really spending this time down with the family, there is only one thing I could think of that perfectly suits this moment for you:

snoopy-and-the-easter-bunnies-o.gif

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

I did run about .5 mile before my last race. It did seem to help. I'm just usually dragging my ass out of bed and it takes me too long to wake up. So, adding the extra time is something I tend to skip. I just go through some dynamic warm-ups and then start running.

With carbs, most of the  time, I'm pretty sure they're about to bite me in the ass. But, I'm stupid enough to eat things anyway. Well, not stupid, lazy. I need to do a better job of preparing my food and sticking to just that food. Then I'd be much better.

And with that, I'm outta. Updates will be sporadic for the next week or so.

Cline is right about crazy people. I had an insane experience when I was on a committee to pick who would get the "volunteer appreciation award." Who would think that would lead to crazy arguments??! Keep giving what energy you can to your church committee. It sounds very worthwhile.

It can be really hard to feel out your pace, and as I'm sure you know, warming up into it is WAY better than overshooting and crashing out. I think this is a very good sign for big improvements later in the season.

Have a great vacation!

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Cline is right about crazy people. I had an insane experience when I was on a committee to pick who would get the "volunteer appreciation award." Who would think that would lead to crazy arguments??! Keep giving what energy you can to your church committee. It sounds very worthwhile.

It can be really hard to feel out your pace, and as I'm sure you know, warming up into it is WAY better than overshooting and crashing out. I think this is a very good sign for big improvements later in the season.

Have a great vacation!

Lots of unhealthy people out there, physically and mentally. Personally I think getting healthy mentally is a harder task.

Enjoy the R&R!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I will!

Burpees run in the books. Hard time breathing today. Allergies or a cold? Don't know. Not bad but the 10:00/mile burpees run still eludes me.

Burpee run!!!!

I AM going the distance

Burpee run!!!!

I tell ya what, that's a tough half hour.

Hope you're enjoying the vacation!

Minus an injury that's gonna get in the way of my pull ups, everything is awesome!

Great job on the burpees vacation run!

Technically, it was pre-vacation. I got up and ran, then packed the car and started driving.
  • Like 1

Its raining today, so I take some pictures of my "outdoor gym" tomorrow. Sprints on the beach, decline pushups from the picnic bench, inverted rows (haven't found a pull ups location yet), swimming laps across the cove and water skiing. That was yesterday. As long as its raining and my forearm is sore (long story, but got my arm caught between the boat and the dock whilst moving kidlet out of the way), its a rest day. Hope everyone's week is starting off great!!

Yikes on the injury, but better the arm than the kidlet. Way to stick with your program - that can be a booger on vacation.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines