the Joys of pain

So I am joining this Challenge. I know a few people who will be happy. I really struggle with keeping up to date on things on line and that is going to be the biggest part of the challenge for me. However I shall try.

Here is my goal for this challenge.

I want to work out at least twice a week (with or without a trainer) for at least 30 minutes of weights and 15 min of cardio. will try to do more then that but its my starting point.

I want to read my bible more regularly and for me that is a great goal and so i will during this 6 weeks challenge, try to read the bible at least 15 minutes a day 6 days a week.

Also I am trying to kick the habit of drinking pop/soda/soda pop/coke, whatever you call it. I have been weaning myself off it for years.. i started drinking 4-5 2 liters a day.. and i am down to 20 oz every 3-4 days. I would like to try to make it a 20 oz every 4-5 days during this 6 weeks challenge. It gives me migraines to cold turkey cut it out and after 2 1/2 weeks of the migraine not leaving I had to give in and so I am going to try to keep weaning myself so the migraines done take hold.

I also am trying to do better with my diet so I am going to try to actually cook at least 2 meals a week that is healthy and good for me and my husband and family. This is my goal.

Sorry they are not fancy or awesome like running a 5k or something but baby steps right?!. I want to do this and succeed and I want to make sure its not easy either.

I have a caffeine headache right now and I am about to get ready to go to the gym to meet my trainer Cody, and i have done almost everything to get rid of this stupid thing> i may have to stop and get a soda.. i really don't want to but its day 4 right now without and I don't want this turning into a migraine.

Dinner tonight is already being made.. egg salad sandwiches. I am excited cause i made it for the first time yesterday and my kids are begging for it again.So i did something right.

• Like 2

Joyness

Race: Human

Level 1

Class: Adventurer

Strength: 2 | Dexterity: 1 | Stamina: 2 | Constitution: 5 | Wisdom: 4 | Charisma: 1

Yay your first challenge :D

When I quit soda, it was my only source of caffeine.  I wasn't a coffee or tea drinker either, so there was zero caffeine.  So I had really bad withdraws.  I only remember it last a couple of weeks before it started getting better.  Sounds like it's been even worse for you so far.  

No need to worry about getting fancy.  I didn't start doing 5k stuff on my first challenge.  Don't feel pressure that you have too.  It was a year befor eI ran a 5K.  I had to start off slow.  My first challenge I was struggling to run 90 seconds.

• Like 1

Today I went to the gym and worked out. I did planks, mountains climbers and I did mountain climbers by pushing 45 pounds down what I call the ally of shame cause it's the long alley between the treadmill machines and everyone can watch. I did leg presses with 80pounds And holding it for 4 seconds every 3rd push. I did lunges while holding 5 pounds in front of my arms length out Down that alley of shame. I hurt. It's a good pain cause I know it will help me to lose the weight. I just know the doms are coming.... Le sigh. But I am so glad I am doing this.

This is actually my second challenge but it's been a long time since I did the first one. Sure blamed cat is happy at this. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Using Tapatalk

I remember being pretty addicted to coke when I first started college. It was like a meal wouldn't be complete without it and tge first thing that came to my mind when I felt thristy. And it had to be coca-cola, nothing else would do. I drank 2 to 4 liters a day (I don't know ounces, but 4 liters is a little more than a gallon, I believe).

I don't really remember giving up coke, so it mustn't have been that hard. But then again I had to give up alcohol hahah... And, boy, was that hard!

I guess what I mean is hang in there, all these dependencies we have that seem hnsurmountable, part of ourselves, really, they're all alien and conquerable.

Good work with th gym! I haven't got ANY work done yet cuz I'm racing to meet a work deadline and can't spare the hour... :(

One thing I've been meaning to ask: how many children do you and BC have? At first I thougght it was just one girl, but now they sound like a lot... :)

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

Yay, Joy! 

My husband was ridiculously addicted to pop and got killer headaches every time he'd try to not drink it - he switched to zero pop and an unsweetened tea to stave off the horrible headaches - and it worked well. He hasn't had Mtn. Dew in months and months. 

• Like 2

Level 83 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

So glad you're here, Joy!

Your challenge sounds like a good balance between doable, yet pushing your boundaries - you don't have anything to apologize for. And if it makes you feel better, I'm on my 11th challenge, and I couldn't run a 5k if I tried!

Good luck with the pop situation... I know it will be hard, but so worth it in the end. DF's suggestion was the first one that came to my mind too, to switch to black tea to stave off the migraines. Maybe sweeten with stevia to get used to it? Just a thought.

Workout sounds awesome, and you are super brave for tackling the "Alley of Shame". Keep it up!

• Like 2

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Good work with th gym! I haven't got ANY work done yet cuz I'm racing to meet a work deadline and can't spare the hour... :(

One thing I've been meaning to ask: how many children do you and BC have? At first I thougght it was just one girl, but now they sound like a lot... :)

Work can sometimes be an excuse not to work out . I work 12 hour shifts and often tend to make an excuse not to work out after that but blamed cat is encouraging me in that area. We have a daughter that is 6 1/2 and a son that is 2 1/2. Not an a lot but we had a few miscarriages so after my son was born I got fixed so there won't be anymore monkeys in my house. Besides I can barely keep up with my two adding another to out number me and blamedcat would be unwise.

The addiction is hard to get over but I am doing it, however slowly I need but I am making progress so I am always glad about that.

• Like 2

Using Tapatalk

Yay, Joy!

My husband was ridiculously addicted to pop and got killer headaches every time he'd try to not drink it - he switched to zero pop and an unsweetened tea to stave off the horrible headaches - and it worked well. He hasn't had Mtn. Dew in months and months.

What is zero pop? I shall look into this. I have tries green teas and such that us suppose to help but it didn't work for me.

Using Tapatalk

Zero pop as in no pop - not a product. He drinks "regular" unsweet tea - black tea, not green. Black has more caffeine and he's not into green. He also, at least until this summer, was sweetening his with 1 packet of Truvia. He also does iced coffee but with zero sweeteners (just a little almond, coconut or soy milk). 

When I quit drinking pop (I used to almost exclusively drink Diet Coke and absolutely refused to drink water), I switched to seltzer as a stopgap replacement for the bubbles, unsweet (black) tea for taste, and "spa" water (water with stuff in it - like cucumber + basil) to get me drinking water. My addiction was more to the aspartame in DC; not the caffeine. I liken that addiction to cigarettes - probably mostly because for me, they were tied closely together. 

• Like 2

Level 83 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Zero pop as in no pop - not a product. He drinks "regular" unsweet tea - black tea, not green. Black has more caffeine and he's not into green. He also, at least until this summer, was sweetening his with 1 packet of Truvia. He also does iced coffee but with zero sweeteners (just a little almond, coconut or soy milk). 

When I quit drinking pop (I used to almost exclusively drink Diet Coke and absolutely refused to drink water), I switched to seltzer as a stopgap replacement for the bubbles, unsweet (black) tea for taste, and "spa" water (water with stuff in it - like cucumber + basil) to get me drinking water. My addiction was more to the aspartame in DC; not the caffeine. I liken that addiction to cigarettes - probably mostly because for me, they were tied closely together. 

i drink water just fine. I bring at least 4 bottles of water to work and drink them while working, but i have found that every 3-4 days I start getting my migraine from not drinking pop. I have tried taking caffeine pills (a coworkers has these for her addictions) but they don't really help much. I think that i am going to try to get them and take them whenever i start to get the headache instead of when its full blown. Maybe this will help me get away from pop for good. I need to do some more research on the subject though because i don't want to become addicted to pills.

I am so glad that you guys found something to help! I know how hard it is cause I'm doing it right now.

• Like 1

Joyness

Level 1

Strength: 2 | Dexterity: 1 | Stamina: 2 | Constitution: 5 | Wisdom: 4 | Charisma: 1

Work can sometimes be an excuse not to work out . I work 12 hour shifts and often tend to make an excuse not to work out after that but blamed cat is encouraging me in that area. We have a daughter that is 6 1/2 and a son that is 2 1/2. Not an a lot but we had a few miscarriages so after my son was born I got fixed so there won't be anymore monkeys in my house. Besides I can barely keep up with my two adding another to out number me and blamedcat would be unwise.

The addiction is hard to get over but I am doing it, however slowly I need but I am making progress so I am always glad about that.

I think a 6/12 and a 2 1/2 might add up to about twelve people, especially when they're hungry :D

Yeah... It's an excuse... you know that, I know that... I'll face that tomorrow (it's quarter to 11pm now... I managed to procratinate for yet another whole day....)

I'm just so... tired and lazy, lol... But I'll change that, gonna change that...

• Like 1

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

I think a 6/12 and a 2 1/2 might add up to about twelve people, especially when they're hungry :D

Yeah... It's an excuse... you know that, I know that... I'll face that tomorrow (it's quarter to 11pm now... I managed to procratinate for yet another whole day....)

I'm just so... tired and lazy, lol... But I'll change that, gonna change that...

You can do it!!! One choice at a time is all it takes to change your life forever!!! Stop procrastinating and do it cause your worth it!

• Like 2

Using Tapatalk

Started this wonderfully rainy day with eggs for breakfast and some yummy energy bar Kt got me when she went grocery shopping. About to find something for lunch and I think I'll do pizza tonight for dinner.

Why are we doing pizza for dinner?  We have a workout tonight :P

• Like 2

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

Also I am trying to kick the habit of drinking pop/soda/soda pop/coke, whatever you call it. I have been weaning myself off it for years.. i started drinking 4-5 2 liters a day.. and i am down to 20 oz every 3-4 days. I would like to try to make it a 20 oz every 4-5 days during this 6 weeks challenge. It gives me migraines to cold turkey cut it out and after 2 1/2 weeks of the migraine not leaving I had to give in and so I am going to try to keep weaning myself so the migraines done take hold.

Were you having other forms of mild caffeine during that time?(even chocolate counts here)  Usually that type of thing goes away after 3ish days of going cold turkey.

Sorry they are not fancy or awesome like running a 5k or something but baby steps right?!. I want to do this and succeed and I want to make sure its not easy either.

We're all on different roads but the destination is the same- to be the best version of ourselves.

If you have questions, feel free to send me a message (How to PM and follow/ ) or post at the Tavern (Tavern ) . Don't forget to check out the minis if you want ( Minis).

Good luck and have fun this challenge :)

Well so far I have gone to the gym twice a week with my trainer Cody. He is a great trainer and he doesn't let me slack, not that I want to but he won't allow it even if I did. I am usually very sore after the work outs and also very excited about keeping up the work out. I work late and on the weekends they close early so I have been doing some excersises at work on the weekends. I have lost 4 pounds so far and I know it's not a lot but I think it's great! I am excited that I may be losing inches and I tend to looks more at that then anything else. I have only one more session with Cody and then I have to buy more which I can't afford but I learned a lot from him already so I can keep this up.

I need to really evaluate my food choices and do better on that. I think I'll do that tomorrow on my day off and really try to lock this into high gear.

• Like 1

Using Tapatalk

Looking at inches is definitely a great way to go, but congrats on the 4 lbs nevertheless, that is awesome, and not at all minor!

I think you'll find as you go on that you don't want to "undo" the hard work you do at the gym with poor food choices - you want to be using that time to progress, not to just dig yourself out of the hole. Keep it up, and those results are going to start compounding! :D

• Like 2

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

I went Friday to have a session with Cody. My sister went with me using a free 30 day trial pass and Cody was so kewl that he let her train with me. We did lunges with weighted balls.. i had a 15 pound ball and She had a 10 pound ball. We went down the aisle of shame and switched balls and came back down. Then she started on the other side and we did lunges towards eachother, me carrying a 15 pound ball and her without weights, then halfway she got the ball and I finished without. we did the same thing coming back. After that, he had us doing planks push up style.She held it for 15 sec and I did it for 20. We did three sets of that. Then he had us doing mountain climbers  and planks off the bench. We did that and then we did bicycle and v-ups. We did 3 sets of that 20 secs each.After that we went for a last round of Lunges with the 15 pound ball and called it a day.

I really enjoyed working out with my sister and having her there for support and made me feel like i knew what i was doing.

Yesterday I went and had a session with Cody alone. I did some arm and core work outs.  We started with the Ropes and I had to pound them into the ground and lift them and slap them again on the ground, this was for about 20 seconds, we did three sets of this in between me doing bench planks. So ropes, planks, ropes, plank,ropes and then plank and ended with ropes. My arms were starting to get sore. I then was instructed to put a 10 pound weight on some resistant bands and then stand on the weight and do curls with the bands. Boy my arms got really sore doing that.

Next he had me doing step up with 2 5pound weights on my hands. I had to step up on the step on one foot, lift the other foot up bringing my knee up, and while doing that i had to curl and press the weights on the way up. so when my knees were up, so was the weights up above my head and then i could bring the weights down and then step down and switch legs. I did this for 12 reps, then went and did the resistant band again, and he had me holding the weight while it was tight so i had to tire my muscles out. We did the steps again and then the bands again and then the steps and then the bands. We went to the lat machine and I did 60 pounds and did three sets of front/back on the machine. The last set I did 65 pounds and I barely could finish. My arms were burning as was my shoulder muscles.  We ended with bicycle and v-ups. but the v-ups he wanted me to just hold the position without my hands helping to hold myself up. I did this three times and then he said to do the v-up as long as I could. So i did and i finally crashed around  33 seconds and i was tired. Then we changed out and My husband had his session while i took my kiddos to get my sister from work.

So today my shoulders are very sore and my core is little tender and it hurts to lift anything up. My sister took my car today and I am without a vehicle which I really didn't think through the whole letting my sister have the car on my day off thing. I regret it very much right now, as I have a migraine headache and its only getting worse. I have not had caffeine since a small sip on Sunday and my body is giving me a painful reminder that i need something caffeine. Nothing is helping it and I'm here with my screaming 2 year old that just doesn't want to play quietly and my daughter who decided that today was a perfect day to throw tantrums my way. I want a pop so bad, if for nothing else than to get rid of this headache.. and the funny thing is, that the pop itself holds no desire for me.. i just want this headache gone.. its not like i want to have a soda. but I cant let this headache get worse.. i know what worse is and I wont be able to get rid of it if it gets much worse.. will take longer to get rid of and I'll probably have it when i got work tomorrow. :( Don't want to work with a migraine. I deal with stupid all day and i don't need pain with stupid.(Not everyone that comes to my work is stupid but I have my fair share of it daily). Good news though is that my micro manager got fired last Monday so i have one less thing adding to my daily stress.. it was a large weight of stress off my shoulders.

I did go up on Sunday and worked out with my sister on some arm machines and weights with her. I have my next session tomorrow, so today I am gong to get rid of this headache and be prepared for awesome work outs.

So on an awesome note. When i went on Aug 8th for my session, he weighed me and measured me. I lost 3 inches total, 1 inch in my waist, 1 inch in my hips and 1 inch combined with neck and arm. my chest, thigh and calf all stayed the same but he said that it was normal cause I'm losing where i need it most and where i have the most to lose... and he said the more weights i do that it will start to tone up and lose in those other areas too. He was excited to see i lost inches.. cause the scale only said i lost 4 pounds.. but he did say that i have been gaining a lot more muscle which could counter the weight loss and so he will try me again in a month to see where i am. I am excited about the inches. He was encouraging saying that the inches tells more then the scale. I need to keep losing and keep this up. I am exited! I actually like working out.. most days.NEVER EVER though i would like it.

• Like 1

Joyness

Level 1

Sounds like some great stuff (except the headaches :( )  Keep up the good work :D

Thanks!!  And yes the headache is not good.. but thanks for the encouragement! I feel so much better knowing that there are people on here that are wanting me to suceed and also are not going to beat me up over my mistakes and sometimes poor choices. I already beat myself up over that as is.

Joyness

Level 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines