Day 27.  Started incorporating eating more nutty fats into my diet along with taking 1200mg of fish oil today.  I typically only get my fats from beef and eggs, so I'd like to start varying that a bit.  Still feeling beat to all hell; I'm hoping that the fish oil will reduce some inflammation I'm probably experiencing.  It may be time to take a nice deload week and lift lighter.

Food:

2 cucumbers

12 oz. chicken breast

300g mixed vegetables

8 oz. chuck tender steak

1/2 can of refried beans

51 grams of almonds

1 banana

Exercise

2 miles 35 lb. weighted walk

Overhead Press (warmup), 5x115, 3x125, 1x135, [10, 7, 6, 6, 6]x95

Bench Press [5, 5]x165, 3x185

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Yea it's kind of a rock and hard place deal. It's either risk losing lbm by deloading or risk injury. Definitely not diet breaking, I probably just need to watch my form real careful and make sure I get enough sleep. I've not been sleeping well, I'm sure that would help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

I can only recommend spacing out workouts a bit more or reducing volume to allow for more recovery. As Lyle recommends, up to 2/3rds of a reduction to both volume and training frequency can be applied as long as intensity is maintained. Combine this with the refeeds you're doing now and getting enough sleep and you should be okay.

• Like 1

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?

Day 28. Went to a family birthday party at Pizza Ranch (all you can eat pizza) but I avoided eating that stuff.  Then we had friends over for dinner w/ grilled chicken quarters.

Food:

1 bag of broccoli

8 oz. chicken breast

1 banana

32g natural peanut butter

2 grilled chicken quarters

200g mixed vegetables

sauteed bell peppers

Exercise

Rest day

Battle Log

Good job mate. Takes some balls to go to an all you can eat pizza place on a cut and not getting any.

Yea, it wasn't too hard because I've fought that battle so many times in the past. Now that I really only eat in the evenings it is definitely easier. I do love pizza though, and I do love eating all I can eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battle Log

That makes sense, even from a scientific standpoint. I recently read an article by Lyle where he reviewed a study about meal timing and ghrelin and it turned out that our body automatically increase ghrelin when it expects to be fed. Usually it only takes about a week or so to get used to a new time, but IF really profits from this I imagine. Still a good job, given that I can eat pizza hungry or not. :D

• Like 1

Day 29.  Food fantasies are really amping up.  Last night I was laying in bed trying to get to sleep and all I could think of was eating a big bowl of ice cream filled with crumbled Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  I'm starting to really look forward to my Thursday cheat meal.

Food:

2 cups baby spinach

8 oz. chicken breast

250g mixed vegetables

1/2 can of refried beans

1 lb. 93% lean beef

1 banana

10g raw almonds

Exercise

2 mile walk w/ dog

Deadlifts (warmup), 2x9x205, 5x255, 2x3x285

Barbell Squats 5x5x135

Barbell Rows 3x5x165

Body Fat
16.1%: 141.5 lbs (prior) - 142.9 lbs. (current) - +1.4 lbs.

Battle Log

Decided to re-brand myself as a Ranger and jump into the 6 week challenge that starts today.  Mostly just to give myself some goals of doing some miscellaneous exercise I'm not overly fond of (weighted backpack walking) and keeping track of things I'm not overly fond of tracking (calories & macros).  My daily stuff will all still go into my log, but I'll throw in a weekly summary of my goal results into the challenge since it will be more applicable there.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Day 30.   Monday/Wednesday are currently my super low calorie days now, basically doing a Protein-Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) so that I can still remain in a decent deficit including taking my cheat meal each week.  I just about hit 1g protein per lb. of lean mass on these days, but not quite, but the day before and after I make sure to eat increased protein so my average over the week is more than 1g protein per bodyweight.  These kind of days used to be hard, but the 40-hour fasts now make them seem much easier.

Food & Supplements:

1 bag of broccoli

24 oz. flounder filets

4 fish oil capsules & multivitamin

Exercise

1 mile treadmill walk, 35 lb. weight, 6% incline, 3mph

Body Fat
16.0%: 141.0 lbs (prior) - 142.8 lbs. (current) - +1.8 lbs.

Battle Log

Day 31.

Food:

2 cups baby spinach

4.5 oz. chicken breast

300g mixed vegetables

2 large eggs

19.5 oz. chuck tender steak

1 banana

55g raw almonds

Exercise

Barbell Bench Press (warmup), 2x8x145, 5x165, [3, 2]x185

Barbell Overhead Press 5x5x105

Dips 3 x bw x 8

Battle Log

Day 32.  Second very low-calorie day complete without any issues.  A+ Mongolian Grill (Chinese Buffet) is on the menu for tonight after squats, deadlifts, and a massive bowl of corn flakes.  I'm glad this day is here, I am completely ready to shovel food into my face.

Food:

16 oz. chicken breasts

1 bag of broccoli

Exercise

Body Fat
15.9%: 140.6 lbs (prior) - 142.0 lbs. (current) - +1.4 lbs.

Battle Log

I usually eat all of my calories in a 2-3 hour window.  Reading up on 5 hour refeeds (the shortest timeframe I see reference to), I see a lot of stuff saying that it HAS to be at least 5 hours.  That is going to be a pain in the butt for me, I think, but I could try eating half of my corn flakes post-workout, chinese about 2-3 hours later, then the other half of the corn flakes when I get home?  I can't see how it would possibly hurt to eat it in a shorter window (if anything I would think it would make the leptin spike higher) but it doesn't seem people agree with that.  Thoughts?

Battle Log

I've struggled a lot with this as well. I would eat the entirety of a 5 hour refeed in 1 hour and then sit there like "uhm..". The issue is that there's sort of a threshhold where more carbs doesn't mean more of a hormonal response, so it's simply more efficient to distribute a high enough amount of carbs over 5 hours than an amount 5 times as high over 1 hour.

Your plan sounds good though. Cornflakes -> Chinese -> cornflakes should work well.

I've struggled a lot with this as well. I would eat the entirety of a 5 hour refeed in 1 hour and then sit there like "uhm..". The issue is that there's sort of a threshhold where more carbs doesn't mean more of a hormonal response, so it's simply more efficient to distribute a high enough amount of carbs over 5 hours than an amount 5 times as high over 1 hour.

Your plan sounds good though. Cornflakes -> Chinese -> cornflakes should work well.

That's what I'll go with then, thanks for chiming in.  That's exactly how I would be after 1-2 hours sitting in a pile of plates and bowls... "So I'm supposed to keep eating?  Keep eating what?"

• Like 1

Battle Log

Day 33. I stretched out my eating window to roughly 3:15 PM to 8:45 PM (5.5 hours) to meet the minimum recommended refeed length.  Started with half of the corn flakes, 1.25 hours later the rest of the corn flakes, an hour later went to the buffet, and then came home and spread out my frozen yogurt.  Couldn't have been much better with my calories (I'd allocated 3,300 for it) but I do wish I could have managed to keep my fat under 50g.  I took my food scale and found the average of all three plates of rice and the average of all three plates of meat and created a custom recipe that I can use from now on while eyeballing it (all three plates ended up roughly the same anyway).

Food: MFP estimated 3,360 calories, 174p/462c/56f

5 cups of corn flakes w/ 2 cups skim milk

3 plates of Mongolian Grill each w/ 200g cooked white rice, 8 oz. chicken, and chili sauce/garlic

3 cups chocolate frozen yogurt

Exercise

Barbell Squats (warmup), 5x5x145

Deadlifts 5x6x205

Pullups (bodyweight, neutral grip) 8, 8, 6, 6

Battle Log

SeaBees are awesome and you'r battle log reflects that.  You are an inspiration.

Well thanks, I agree that Seabees are awesome.  I'm not an inspiration for much but I appreciate the kind words nonetheless.

Battle Log

Day 34.  It's hard doing a re-feed day and seeing everything basically stall for a few days.  I'm trying to keep it in mind that it's just temporary water throwing everything off, and it should be gone in a day or two, but it's hard to keep perspective.  Just have to keep pressing forward.

Food:

2 cups spinach

16 oz. 93% lean beef

1/2 can of refried beans

400g mixed vegetables

50g almonds

32g natural peanut butter

Exercise

Overhead Press (warmup), 5x5x105

Bench Press 5x5x155

Dips 5 x 8 x bodyweight

Handstand practice

Battle Log

Day 35.  Kept it lower calorie since it was a rest day.

Food:

463g yellow squash

16 oz. chicken breast tenderloins

220g mixed vegetables

10g raw almonds

1 banana

Exercise:

Rest Day

Body Fat
15.8%: 140.6 lbs (prior) - 142.2 lbs. (current) - +1.6 lbs.

Battle Log

Day 36.  Went to a restaurant for dinner for my sister-in-law's birthday but only had a salad.

Food:

4 cups normandy vegetables

5 oz. chicken breast tenderloins

chopped salad at Bravo!

1 lb. 93% lean beef

2 servings rice

1 can of enchilada sauce

1 banana w/ 3 servings (1.5 cups) of chocolate frozen yogurt

4 capsules of fish oil & multivitamin

Exercise:

Deadlifts (warmup), 2x9x205, 5x255, 3x285, 1x315

Barbell Squats 5x5x135

Barbell Rows 4x5x165

Battle Log