Moved my Tuesday fast day to Sunday.  At 11 A.M. I started thinking about how I wasn't looking forward to doing it on Tuesday.  So I figured instead of dreading it on Sunday, all of Monday, and then still having to go through it on Tuesday I'd just leverage the fact that I had already fasted 17 hours by that point and do another 24 to knock it out for the week.  So, I did.  I have to say that makes it a lot easier to deal with when you're "surprised" that you have to fast.

It made me think of doing a mind game with myself.  Since I usually don't eat until dinner anyway, I could do a calorie lottery.  6 pieces of paper with 2,000 calories written on it, and 1 with fast day.  Each day right before my wife is about to prepare dinner I draw my piece of paper.  If it's a fast day, cool, I'm already about 24 hours fasted at that point, no big deal to wait until morning.  If I draw 2,000 calories, cool, let's eat.  I'm a big fan of "last second decisions" so unnecessary stress is avoided.  I used to get all worked up and anxious over things in the future (still do) and half of the time the event doesn't even happen.

Anyway, just a thought I'll probably never try.  It would be an interesting experiment, though...

I'm not going to count those fasting calories for Sunday though since they are designed for Mondays' week.  I'll just have to backfill my Monday calories to this entry (should be about 2000).

Food: 

Fast Day

Exercise:

Rest Day

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -3,859

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Just could not stop eating last night; I was craving chips and salsa, waffles, all kinds of stuff.  I managed to stick with 2000 calories until later in the night, but I felt a serious case of binge eating just over the horizon. Usually I try to grit my way through with the plan by sheer effort, which has about an 85% success rate but during those 15% failures I tend to do a lot of damage (as can be seen both from previous entries in this log and from my blog post Be Like Water).

I decided to try a new approach.  So, I chose to eat my own dog food (not literally, this is a software engineering phrase meaning to follow your own advice) and be like water.  I made a massive bowl of broccoli late in the evening and poured Frank's Red Hot all over it.  It was glorious.  I felt more full, it tasted good, and I feel great this morning.  Sure, I went 133 calories over my plan for the day, but who cares?  That's way better than struggling until I snap and inhale an entire cheesecake in one sitting (that's on the low end for me).  I'm happy with how it went and I'll definitely be using that solution more often.  If I'm craving crap, but I'm willing to eat a massive bowl of vegetables, then I'm going to have some damn vegetables.

Food: 

2,133 calories / 212g protein / 40g fat / 256g carbs

Eating window ~11:15 AM - 8:35 PM

Exercise:

Deadlifts 4x305, 5x290

Weighted Chinups 6x195, 7x175

Overhead Press 5x120, 7x110

Barbell Curl 6x85, 2x5x85

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -2,240 (transposed from Sunday's fast-day)

• Like 1

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Dreading squats today since my ITB is still on the suck.  I'm just going to try to do as little moving around as possible before I work out, and save my ITB stretches until afterward.  Hopefully that will have it fresh enough to get in some heavy squats before my range of motion is limited.

Food: 

1,843 calories / 179g protein / 51g fat / 168g carbs

Eating window ~4:30 - 6:15 PM

Exercise:

Rest Day

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -2,677

Battle Log

I felt it afterward, but squats went great during the workout itself.  I was surprised.

Food: 

1,981 calories / 199g protein / 41g fat / 216g carbs

Eating window ~4:30 - 7:15 PM

Exercise:

Barbell Squats 6x165, 7x150

Weighted Pullups 7x185, 8x167.5

Overhead Press 6x120, 8x110

Handstands 2, 2, 2

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -2,976

• Like 1

Battle Log

My wife went for a job interview yesterday and was ill in the stomach because of it, so I did a 40-hour fast for the day with her.  So Friday is going to be a "cheat" day in that I'm going to eat all of those extra calories in the form of pizza and other crap.

Food: 

40 calories / 0g protein / 4g fat / 0g carbs

Exercise:

Rest Day

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -5,216

Battle Log

Awesome day of eating.  Deep dish pizza, frozen yogurt, cereal.  Good stuff.

Food: 

3,509 calories / 237g protein / 78g fat / 505g carbs

Eating window ~11:30 AM - 6:30 PM

Exercise:

Bench Press 5x185, 6x175

Weighted Dips 5x210, 6x190

Barbell Rows 3x5x170

Tricep Extensions 3x5x115

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -3,987

• Like 1

Battle Log

Food: 

2,334 calories / 209g protein / 97g fat / 177g carbs

Exercise:

Rest Day

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -3,933

Battle Log

My will broke to some cravings last night.  I was wanting cereal bad and ended up splurging on two bowls of cereal.  It's the combination of still not being able to walk or go up/down stairs without pain from my ITB, stress from my wife looking for a new job, and generally just sick of tracking everything.  My right rotator cuff is also acting up, so I'm kind of a mess.  I'm going to choose not to overreact to it this time though, I'll just pretend the splurge didn't happen and stick with the plan.

I did order some crutches from Amazon yesterday so I can take the weight off of my ITB.  Everything I read says that it helps it to recover faster.  I'll still do my squats/deadlifts but when I have to leave the house I'll probably use the crutches for a while.  It definitely can't hurt.

Food: 

3,065 calories / 234g protein / 93g fat / 342g carbs

Exercise:

Rest Day

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -3,148

Battle Log

Looking at your weekly deficit, you're still doing absolutely fine. Much more important to get your injury taken care of. Maybe you should simply go back to maintenance/a slight surplus until that's resolved? Crutches are a good idea too.

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?

Looking at your weekly deficit, you're still doing absolutely fine. Much more important to get your injury taken care of. Maybe you should simply go back to maintenance/a slight surplus until that's resolved? Crutches are a good idea too.

Yea, I'm still burning fat and today is my regularly scheduled fast day, so it's really not that big of a deal.  It's just disappointing when I don't "stick with the plan".  A minor slip-up like this is good practice for when I make a bigger one though, so hey, good to go.  Especially because I almost grabbed a third bowl of cereal last night after the first two, the Lucky Charms were calling my name.  It could definitely have been much worse.

I thought about stopping fat loss but because ITBS is an overuse/inflammation issue I don't think it would help much.  Looking at my spreadsheet from the last time I struggled with this, I gained ~4.5 lbs. over the course of 5 months (since I wasn't running) and being in that calorie surplus didn't seem to help me recover.  So I'm just going to be patient and do my exercises and stretches.  It just takes a long ass time to heal which sucks.  It's amazing how 2 hours of running pain-free can cause months of issues afterward.

Battle Log

Fast day went down without issue, though I must admit I'm quite hungry.  About to get my workout in and eat lunch... vegetables never sounded so good.

Food: 

Exercise:

Rest Day

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -2,240

Battle Log

New PR with deadlifts even with my gimp leg; I'm pretty excited about that.  It hurt like hell grinding out that 5th rep but I got through it.  My ITB doesn't hurt any worse than usual today so I think it's okay to push through that pain temporarily as long as I ice it afterward, take NSAIDs, and do my stretches.  I found an excellent set of ITB stretches on YouTube (it's a yoga pose progression, I believe).  Here is the video for my own future reference and for others:

Food: 
1,931 calories / 193g protein / 45g fat / 216g carbs
Eating window ~12:15 PM - 7:30 PM

Exercise:
Deadlifts 5x305, 6x285
Weighted Chinups 4x200, 6x180
Overhead Press 6x120, 7x110
Barbell Curl 3x5x85

Supplements:
4 fish oil capsules
Daily multivitamin
Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -2,589
  • Like 1

Battle Log

Food: 

1,975 calories / 166g protein / 91g fat / 143g carbs

Exercise:

Rest Day

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -2,894

Battle Log

Food: 

2,005 calories / 181g protein / 29g fat / 263g carbs

Eating window ~4:30 - 8:00 PM

Exercise:

Barbell Squats 6x165, 7x150

Weighted Pullups 6x190, 8x170

Handstands 2, 2, 2

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -3,169

Battle Log

My wife's family is in town for my daughter's birthday on Saturday.  Stressful, particularly even more so than usual because her sister is staying with us, but still managed to keep food under control.  All of the candy, cupcakes, ice cream, etc. at the birthday party is going to be a challenge.  Staying mentally strong and focused is the name of the game.

Food: 

2,002 calories / 246g protein / 50g fat / 163g carbs

Exercise:

Rest Day

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -3,447

Battle Log

Made it through the birthday party without cracking.

I've been finding the 5-minute journaling really helpful, I've been much more productive than usual with writing, spending time with my kids, and helping my wife out with random things.  I hope the trend keeps up because I'm enjoying getting things done.

Food: 

1,985 calories / 229g protein / 79g fat / 81g carbs

Exercise:

Rest Day

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -3,742

• Like 1

Battle Log

Food: 

2,078 calories / 223g protein / 39g fat / 220g carbs

Eating window ~1:30 PM - 7:45 PM

Exercise:

Bench Press 6x185, 7x175

Weighted Dips 5x210, 7x190

Barbell Rows 3x5x175

Tricep Extensions 3x3x120

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -3,944

Battle Log

I felt like pure ass Monday, likely for several reasons.  My ITB is still all aggravated and preventing me from even walking, left-over stress from the weekend, and I switched to half caffeine coffee which is causing some caffeine withdrawal symptoms.  So, I took the day off from dieting and ate whatever I wanted, keeping in mind that I would have to live with the choices.  So the calorie count is relatively high, but not nearly as bad as it's gone in the past.  I stuck with my eating schedule of not eating until dinner and then I made myself have a ton of vegetables before I started in on snacks.  This was what I ate, because the next time I need a day off, I think this is a pretty good template.  Focusing on minimizing damage was the name of the game:

• 500g of mixed vegetables
  • 500g of butternut squash
  • 300g of green beans
  • 200g of various peppers
  • 1 lb. of steak
  • 1.5 cups of spaghetti
  • 1.5 cups fat-free chocolate frozen yogurt with a banana and ~20g almonds
  • 3 macadamia nut cookies w/ 1 cup skim milk
  • 1 cup fat-free chocolate frozen yogurt with 2 snack size Reese's Peanut Butter cups (this was awesome)

Food: 

3,188 calories / 162g protein / 73g fat / 459g carbs

Eating window ~5:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Exercise:

Rest Day

Supplements:

4 fish oil capsules

Daily multivitamin

Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: +908

• Like 1

Battle Log

Felt pretty full during the morning so I went ahead and did my workout and then the fast day that should have been on Monday.  That puts me back into a weekly deficit at least.  I'm planning on just having about 24 oz. of flounder that we have sitting around needing to be eaten for dinner with a bag of broccoli, which should put me right back on track due to being so low calorie.  Even if I don't stick to that the week is easily recoverable at this point, so I'm not too worried about it.  Worse comes to worse I can spread the rest of my deficit over the remaining days of the week.

Food: 

Exercise:
Deadlifts 4x310, 5x280
Weighted Chinups 6x200, 7x180
Barbell Curl 3x5x85

Supplements:
4 fish oil capsules
Daily multivitamin
Creatine

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -1,332

Battle Log

Welp... guess I'm going to just call this quits again and jump to maintenance.  I went to the doctor this morning to see about my leg, took x-rays (which were clean) and got a referral to get an MRI.  I was prescribed MethylPREDNISolone, which is a Glucocorticosteroid, to bring down the massive inflammation in my leg.  It works by raising cortisol and the major side-effects are muscle loss, fat gain, increased hunger, and insomnia.  Awesome.

The best thing seems to be to just try not to get worse from this spot and do what I can to get my leg to recover.  This is the suck, but what can you do...

Battle Log

It was nice to eat up to maintenance, though it's bittersweet because I'm still around 13.5% body fat.  I'm going to stick it out at maintenance for the next week and a half to work through the steroids and hopefully help my leg heal up, then I'll probably introduce a very minor surplus and see how things go.  14.5% is my drop dead point where I have to drop fat back to 13%.

Food: 
2,362 calories / 245g protein / 72g fat / 149g carbs

Exercise:

Rest Day

Supplements:
4 fish oil capsules
Daily multivitamin
Creatine

MethylPREDNISolone

Nortriptyline

Weekly Deficit/Surplus To-Date: -1,250

Battle Log

I feel ya. On the bright side, the reason you're sitting there with an injured leg is because you're in such good shape that you were able to run a ridiculous distance with no prep or traning. The overwhelming majority of the population is unable to run like a quarter as far as you did. Sure it was dumb, but also a lesson. Getting through this with the right meds (check) and no longer on a deficit (check) should happen fairly quickly, so just stick it out until then. Bodyfat is like the last thing to worry about right now.

• Like 1

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?