For some reason I haven't looked at your log before. High five for fasting! :-)

Sent from my N9520 using Tapatalk

Heck yes, high five with full elbow follow-through.  I've only done one 40-hour fast (this last Saturday), but tomorrow is my second.  There is no better way to get a calorie deficit for me, because I have the propensity of eating like a complete asshole at any given moment.  I've done 16:8 for about 6 months until I transitioned to full Warrior Diet style 24 hour fasts for the last 4 months, and now I'm incorporating the 40s.

Wow, that before pic is something, especially since I've only seen you lean and mean until now. 

Yea I was a chunky monkey.  I wish I had taken a pic when I was at my peak of about 197 (I was about 174 in that picture).  Oh well, at the time I obviously didn't even know whether I would lose any weight or not.  I probably didn't want evidence that I ever had the intention if I failed.

• Like 1

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Day 17.  I'm just going to keep on going with what I have planned until I hit about 15% body fat trend again.  At that point I'll likely add in a weekly cheat day, most likely Thursday, since that is my squat day.  I can use all of the help I can get on squats, plus it will be a mental break and metabolism booster.  It's going to be a bum rush until 15% though.  I hate being above 15% body fat, bleh.  Started my 40-hour fast last night about 6 PM, so we're off to the races until 10 AM CST tomorrow.

Food:

Bowl of green beans

1 lb. beef enchilada bake w/ 2 servings of rice

2 servings of oatmeal w/ 1 large banana

Exercise

Bench Press (warmup), 5x175, 3x195, 1x215, 10x145, 8x145, " ", 5 x 145, " "

Overhead Press 5x115, 3x125, - x 135

Handstand and tuck planche practice

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Day 18 was another 40 hour fast day.  This one went a little bit rougher than the first, but I made it through and broke my fast just now with a massive bowl of green beans, massive bowl of broccoli, and 12 oz. of chicken breasts.  All after completing a heavy squat/deadlift workout at the 39 hour mark.  That locks in my deficit for this week and my next 40 hour fast will be on Saturday.

Food:

<40-hour Fast Day>

Exercise

<Rest Day>

• Like 1

Battle Log

Day 19.  The food dreams have kicked in.  Wednesday night (my fast day) I had a dream that I went to an all you can eat buffet right before close and was loading up as much as I possibly could.  Because of that, and the fact that my squats are my weak lift, I allowed myself to eat above maintenance (most likely) for a day and on some junk carbs.  Hopefully the minor refeed type day will boost up some leptin, satisfy some mental cravings, and help my squat out.  Probably not, but hey, it's how I'm justifying the two bowls of cereal to myself.

Food:

Big bowl of green beans *

Big bowl of broccoli *

12 oz. chicken breast

Big bowl of sausage spaghetti w/ wheat noodles *

1 bowl of Peanut Butter Captain Crunch w/ skim milk

1 bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios w/ skim milk

When I say big/large bowl in my food notes it means a tupperware storage bowl, roughly the size of two normal eating bowls probably

Exercise

Barbell Back Squats (warmup), 5x165, 2x185, 1x205, [7, 7, 6, 6, 6]x135

Deadlifts 5x255, 3x285, 1x315

Handstand and tuck planche practice

Body Fat
16.7%: 144.3 lbs (prior) - 145.6 lbs. (current) - +1.3 lbs.

Battle Log

I see your LBM is still hovering around the same band of an extra lb or so. Awesome. See, you did put on a little muscle. :P

Are you considering how you'll approach your next bulk yet? Maybe dropping the IF for a while? I know I would have a very difficult time gaining muscle if I was fasting 2/3 of the time.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

I see your LBM is still hovering around the same band of an extra lb or so. Awesome. See, you did put on a little muscle. :tongue:

Are you considering how you'll approach your next bulk yet? Maybe dropping the IF for a while? I know I would have a very difficult time gaining muscle if I was fasting 2/3 of the time.

We'll see how long that extra LBM stays around.  I'd like to remain optimistic, even an extra pound seems like it's SOMETHING from all of this at least, but who knows.

I'll probably never drop IF.  I'm a huge eater, and if I went back to three squares a day I'd just end up getting horribly fat.  Ideally I'm going to move away from the cutting/bulking cycle and just be able to slowly put on muscle over 2016.  I hate dieting and I'd rather remain at lower body fat percentages now (12-13% is fine for me) and struggle to put on muscle than have to go through another round of calorie deprivation.  Right now I have no intentions of trying a real "bulk" again.  I'd like to get down to about 13% and never be above 15% again.  It's just mentally depressing and crappy for me to be out of that band.

So basically the plan is to get down to 13%, eat real big on training days, eat real small on non-training days, and see what happens.  Hopefully I can strike a balance in there somewhere.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Day 20.  This was supposed to be an Overhead Press/Bench Press day but I swapped it with my Saturday fast day and did another fast.  There were several reasons for this, but the most important reason was that I found myself dreading the fast on Saturday.  I felt like I wanted to quit doing them and just go back to my stable and predictable Warrior Diet eating habits.  I wanted to make sure that I wasn't trying to get out of the fast just because it was hard, so I made a deal with myself that I could quit doing the scheduled 40-hour fasts if I did one more and still felt the same way after it's all said and done and I'd broken the fast.  I just finished my workout and my post-fast meal (eggs, bacon, toast and a banana).  Yep, I'm going to leave the 40-hour fasts for special occasions (earning cheat meals, etc.).  It's just too yo-yo for me to go back and forth between days of complete deprivation and days of eating normal, it's a little hard to get into a rhythm.  I did three of them in one week though, so it was a cool experiment to try.  I definitely see their benefit and will likely do them periodically when necessary.

My daily body fat dropped down to 15.9% this morning, which is awesome.  My trend is obviously still far behind and tomorrow my daily value could shoot back up in the 16s, but the fact that a 15 showed up on the scale motivates me.

Food:

<Fast day>

Exercise

<None>

Battle Log

Usually I do more of 21:3 and just eat a large dinner with a snack of oatmeal or something an hour or two later. I do have lunch sometimes, but only if I'm really in the mood, meeting a friend, or it's a work occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Battle Log

I hear that on the fasts. Your messing with them has been tempting me to try it also, though I think I'd just leave them for weekends, I can't not eat at work or during the days I work out.

What do you think of just doing 1-day fasts instead?

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

I hear that on the fasts. Your messing with them has been tempting me to try it also, though I think I'd just leave them for weekends, I can't not eat at work or during the days I work out.

What do you think of just doing 1-day fasts instead?

As in a 24-hour fast where you eat dinner, finish at say 6, and then fast until the next day's dinner?  Or a wake up and sleepy time without any food at all?  I personally (and probably most people) find going to bed hungry incredibly crappy.  That is my biggest hold up with regularly scheduled 40 hour fasts.  I simply dread the idea of going to bed hungry, though it's probably good for us first world folks that are spoiled enough to not have to worry about it.  Having done three of them, I can attest that I get far less sleep on those nights (but I do wake up perfectly rested, it's weird, but other people have the same experience).

If you are just beginning with fasting then I'd give the five stages of intermittent fasting a read.  It's basically the transitions I followed naturally.  I hadn't read that article until last week but I wish that I'd read it a year and half ago.  I'd say just start at the top.  Then if it seems easy or you start seeing benefits that you like, up the difficulty level.  His #2 16:8 fast is described differently than most people apply it though, I personally found it much easier to fast from 8 PM after my post-dinner snack until noon the next day (8-hour eating window from lunch -> post-dinner snack).  All of that being said, a 1 day fast of any type per week would definitely boost your insulin sensitivity and incur other fasting benefits, so if you want to jump in the deep end I say go for it.

It's funny how things change, too.  I actually read The Warrior Diet first before ever hearing of Leangains and tried to apply it.  It was incredibly hard for me and I couldn't stick with it.  Now it's easier for me than Leangains 16:8 fasting because my body just doesn't prefer to eat lunch anymore and when I do I'm less productive.

Battle Log

Day 21.  Broke my fast with delicious breakfast food.  Tried to stay at roughly maintenance calories for the day and pretty sure I was in the vicinity.

Food:

3 eggs, 6 slices of bacon, 2 pieces of toast, 1 small banana

2 servings of oatmeal w/ raisins

1 baked spaghetti squash

5 turkey brats w/ 4 slices of bread & condiments

2 servings of oatmeal

Exercise

Overhead Press (warmup), 5x115, 3x125, 1x135, [10, 6, 6, 6, 6]x95

Bench Press 5x165, 3x185, - x 205 (it sucks I've started missing these last heavy lifts each workout, but it's par for the course)

• Like 1

Battle Log

Day 22.  Picked up a used power cage for $500 from Craigslist.  It retails new for about $2000 so that seemed to be a good deal.  I hate spending so much on fitness equipment, but it's definitely an investment since up to this point I've been using a pretty cheap set of adjustable uprights for my weights that I picked up at Wal-Mart in February 2009.  It had a good 6.5 year run and was due for an upgrade.  This is Amazon's picture of the power cage (mine has a few scuffs from adjusting the safety bar catches, but that's it): 

power cage

Food:
1 spaghetti squash

8 oz. chicken breast

1 bowl of green beans

12 oz. smoked pulled pork

1 small banana

200g cherries

Exercise
~ 1 hour walk with the dog

• Like 1

Battle Log

Day 23.  The constant deficit is starting to seriously impair my recovery.  It's been quite a while since I've felt so beat-up.  I was really hoping to reach a 15% trend before adding in cheat meals or refeed days, but I'm going to implement them early.  This Thursday we are going out to celebrate my Dad's birthday anyway so it lines up pretty well.

Food:

Big bowl of green beans

5.75 oz. chicken breast

1 lb. 93% lean beef enchilada meat w/ 2 servings of rice & half a can of beans

1 medium banana

Exercise

Deadlifts (warmup), 5x255, 3x285, 1x315, [9, 9, 8, 8, 8]x205

Barbell Back Squats 5x165, 2x185, 1x205

Body Fat
16.5%: 144.4 lbs (prior) - 144.5 lbs. (current) - +0.1 lbs.

Battle Log

Day 24.

Food:

Big bowl of broccoli

6.5 oz. chicken breast

300g mixed vegetables

14 oz. chuck tender steak

80g oatmeal w/ 2 medium bananas

Exercise

.5 mile treadmill walk @3.0mph, 25 lb. weight

Bench Press (warmup), 5x175, 3x195, 1x215, [10,9,7,5,5]x145

Overhead Press 4x115, 2x125, 2x125

.5 mile treadmill run @6.0mph

.5 mile treadmill interval run (.1 mile @6.0mph / .1 mile @9.0mph)

Battle Log

I saw Paul's comment earlier, wanted to come in. I do 16-8 fasts most days, and do 40ish hour days the days a week right now and am seeing amazing results. Keep up the awesome work, chaos!

I saw Paul's comment earlier, wanted to come in. I do 16-8 fasts most days, and do 40ish hour days the days a week right now and am seeing amazing results. Keep up the awesome work, chaos!

Thanks, you too!  So you are regularly doing three whole day fasts each week?  That's pretty intense.  I did that last week but I have to admit that I was craving food pretty hard.  I'm debating on doing a whole day fast today (I finished eating last night about 6 PM, 17 hours ago) since I'm going out to eat to Spaghetti Works tomorrow (all you can eat pasta) for my Dad's birthday and I'm not really craving today.  If I do manage to fast all day, then I'm going to eat ridiculously awesome tomorrow at the restaurant.  We'll see how the delayed gratification part of my brain holds up.

Battle Log

Yes. Three total fasts per week, about 42-44 hours long each. That plus the daily IF schedule have kept me on a steady weight drop.

• Like 1

Day 25.  Stayed really low calorie today (~600) so that I can devote a ton of calories for my first refeed day/cheat meal.  I'm hesitant/anxious to overeat for a day, though I know in the long-term it doesn't make a difference.  It's going to be a great eating day in any case.

Food:

Big bowl of broccoli

2 large zucchini squashes

5.25 oz. chicken breast

Exercise

3.5 mile walk w/ my dog

Body Fat
16.3%: 142.1 lbs (prior) - 143.7 lbs. (current) - +1.6 lbs.

Battle Log

Day 26.  It took a lot of self-control to stop eating corn flakes when my calories were up.  Boy, I could have eaten the rest of the box in a blink.  It was quite nice to gorge on carbs, I'm already looking forward to next Thursday.

Food: MFP estimated 2,916 calories, 178p/456c/45f

Big bowl of broccoli

6 oz. chicken breast

3 servings of steamed white rice

Large salad w/ ham, onion, cheese, ranch, croutons, bacon bits

2 bowls of spaghetti (1 w/ spicy italian sausage marinara and 1 w/ beef marinara)

4 cups of corn flakes w/ 2 cups skim milk

Exercise

1 mile 45 lb. weighted walk w/ dog

Barbell Squats 5x165, 2x185, -x205 (going to have to lower squatting weight), [7,6,6,6,6]x135

Deadlifts 5x255, 3x285, 1x315

Body Fat
16.2%: 142.0 lbs (prior) - 143.1 lbs. (current) - +1.1 lbs.

Battle Log