cline Taking a Knee (srsly) and Shooting the Shit

The thing is this...I'm not wrong.

No matter what I post, people tell me I'm wrong.

[i've now written and deleted 3 posts about this]

It's a cracked rib. I'm dealing with it.

I suppose I could lay around, play video games all day, and use this as an excuse for pretty much everything. Nobody would say I was wrong. I could shovel pity food in my face and everyone would say "yea you". I'm not doing that.

If this injury was in anyone else's thread, the general response would be "BOOYAH!". But on my thread, it's "you're wrong".

Here's the thing...it's not an overuse injury because I don't take care in my training and I push too hard. It's not because I won't follow my coach or insist on proving something. It happened. This happens in real Muay Thai training. My friend got a massive bloody nose and a black eye last week. It's a tough sport and things sometimes happen.

If I can't hack it through a cracked rib, then I really need to rethink a lot of things.

Yeah, it hurts. It really hurts. But it heals. I lifted through a torn meniscus and knee surgery last summer. I'm pretty sure I understand how to heal my body. I'm terribly good at it.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Oh, I remember those days ..... the bruises, the aches, and the sense of accomplishment.  I have my eye on a dojo back home .....  For a brief instance this afternoon, I considered taking a job as an emergency hire (another lecturer quit ... 3 weeks before term starts); then I remembered that there is NO convenient martial arts school here and said "Nope" .... I'm a going home. 

Keep kickin', Cline!

Hey! Good for you!! Don't be tempted to go back to something you don't want to do!!!

Yea back to martial arts!!!

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

If I can't hack it through a cracked rib, then I really need to rethink a lot of things.

Yeah, it hurts. It really hurts. But it heals. I lifted through a torn meniscus and knee surgery last summer. I'm pretty sure I understand how to heal my body. I'm terribly good at it. 

Compared to last summer, the current set of injuries is something you could laugh off. ;)

You're wrong: it was an amazing book! Totally worth it! Thanks! :)

BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM going the distance

Tues - Fri I come into work, into one of our main lobbies, and greet one of our volunteers.  Each day she sits on the bench in the lobby chatting with passersby and the security guard until her volunteer shift starts.  Every day.  In the snow, in the rain, etc.  She rides a bus to get here (not too far). 

She's 83 tomorrow.  And she volunteers here every day.  I sit with her every morning now.  It's my new routine.  I started it a few months ago when I started coming in the lobby on this part of campus.  I sit with her, I greet people coming in to work, we chat. 

Tomorrow, she's 83 and still volunteering her time 4 days a week.  Giving back.  Every day. 

I plan to be her and learn everything I can from her. 

She lives life joyously.  And her life has not always been easy.

• Like 3

I AM going the distance

Trained last night at my regular gym.  All the pressing!  Sometimes it's hard for me to do back to back days of pressing but not yesterday!  I'm quite pleased with how the bench has been feeling and the ease of OHP last night.  Heavy benching two days and a row can be inconsistent for me.  Not yesterday.  This is really good and very exciting. 

Assistance work was tougher yesterday as I have to be careful. 

I did multiple sets of one arm rows and would normally have done at least one set at 95 or 100#.  Yesterday I kept all the sets at 80# which is fine because I had higher reps.  So, in the end, I did the most sets and the most reps I've done at 80#.  But boo would have still rather gone for at least one long set at 90# .

But one assistance exercise went very poorly - ow ow ow.  I had to stop.  Coach said he wasn't sure I'd be able to do it with my ribs all jacked up.  I did muscle through it but did have to stop. 

Finished strong though finishing the rest of my program. 

Walked home 2 mi.  It's strange, but walking hurts and benching does not.  It's because of the pounding and the position, etc.  Actually, getting up after lying down hurts even more.  Sitting up is just fine.

Wore my vibrams to train last night.  Never done that before.  Oh the love I have for them!  BUT they have already developed a hole!!! I'm so bummed.  I think it's an assembly defect... but still.  Makes me so sad.  Going to have to look into returning them.  I've only had them 1.5 mos. 

Ate well - salmon with a rocket and beet salad.  Mmmmm. 

Watched American Ninja Warrior (damn you show for making me watch you and stay up late and then stay up later reading). 

I just found out a professional group of trainers/nutritionists, etc. has been hired by my work to come in and offer a health program - nutrition, training, etc.  They offer body comp as a part of it.  I am seriously tempted.  It's quasi reasonable.  I could get nutrition assistance.  I consulted with some paleo nutrition experts I know and they charge a lot more than these folks.  My current bf puts me in the athletic or lean (if you use bodpod terms) category for women but it could be lower. 

oh and coconut almond butter?  sounds better than it tastes.  blech. At least I can guzzle coffee in my training.

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

01ea68c2b75e0b4573a2ad169976c812.jpg

See, I have to follow your thread, because I am not sure where else I could put these little gems.

It'd be interesting to see what the nutritionists suggest.  You've done a lot of research and planning - but it's always helpful to get another perspective and maybe pick up a tip or two. 

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Thanks to msuroo and being tired of being homeless, I'll be here for a while.

I don't need challenges.  I have goals, I work on them.  I do well.  I do like shooting the shit however. 

Still training 7x week. 

Sunday was a double b/c one of the MMA coaches had an open spot.  So I did heavy lifting in the a.m., took about 3 hours to rest, and then went to a one on one Muay Thai session with coach. 

Wherein during round 2 of 3 rounds, I took a hard knee to the chest, knocking the wind out of me and stopping the round (coach stopped it - good call).  And, after a brief brief chat, we ended sparring for the day. 

Lifted Monday.  Muay Thai Tues.  Ribs still hurting but luckily it was clinching tuesday so some of the regular work was replaced by clinch sparring.  

Saw chiro yesterday who says cracked ribs (I say badly bruised).  I failed the diagnostic test, so he's probably right but whatever. 

Lifted hard and heavy last night. 

Rocked at a concert which required standing most of the night. 

Walking hurts my ribs.  *sigh*  So I'm not going to Muay Thai tonight. 

Knees smees...hope you're feeling better...

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

as for training, yesterday was another good day.

The big three lifts with squats at a nice heavy working weight, seriously heavy deads in a set/rep scheme I've not pulled before - fantastic speed on those, and a nice set/rep scheme on bench. 

Bench has been super solid lately.  So have deads.  I'm fairly certain coach will have me putting weight on the bench soon.  I'm really happy with the bench.  It just feels so good lately. 

Today's program is a mix of heavy work and assistance work.  Really looking forward to it. 

It's a beautiful day here in Philly, I have an interesting day here at work including a big C-suite meeting (and a meeting with a passive aggressive whiner at the end of the day in a passive aggressive attempt to unsettle me - ha ha ha), and a big cup of crappy cafeteria coffee!  It's another amazing day!

Would like to be a fly on the wall for that last one...

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

This makes me cry a little bit. I don't want to believe you.

I know.  Me too.  BUT I would not let spousal unit by the maple syrup almond butter or the chocolate almond butter b/c added sugars.  The one he did buy - said coconut butter, has some sugar and freaking palm oil in it.  Luckily I'm not keen on it so I don't care too much that I found that out and can't eat it now.

Knees smees...hope you're feeling better...

Trying, my friend.  Tylenol is a wonder drug.

I AM going the distance

01ea68c2b75e0b4573a2ad169976c812.jpg

See, I have to follow your thread, because I am not sure where else I could put these little gems.

It'd be interesting to see what the nutritionists suggest.  You've done a lot of research and planning - but it's always helpful to get another perspective and maybe pick up a tip or two. 

Actually, I admit to saying "we could take them" earlier today in a training meeting.  ha ha ha suckers.

So the company is an amazing company and they've worked with top athletes. 

The problem is that it's a 12 week program and you have to commit to nutritional counseling and workout planning.  You can workout there.  It's a 2x week workout.  It's a part of our new wellness packages.  It costs money but it's not bad. 

So the thing is... I cannot imagine I'll be able to train the way I want to train.  I don't need help with training or programming.  Pretty sure they won't let me kick them for training.  I know for a fact there is no barbell there.  So maybe I could skip that part?

BUT I'm also 90% sure that they can't tell me anything about nutrition that I don't know.  They have worked with top top athletes and teams, but so have the people I know. 

I was just chatting with someone in my training session here at work about this and low and behold... he's a competitive body builder.  We agreed that between us, we probably know more. 

But I'm still really curious.  But is it worth the cash for the body comp.  Will they really get it?  Bodybuilder guy and I talked about body comp and how we are both "over weight" here according to wellness program but what our actual bf % are on any given day.  He walks around close to competition weight and knows bulking and cutting is really tough - he doesn't advise his clients to go that route. 

I AM going the distance

Would like to be a fly on the wall for that last one...

Interestingly, she opted to not go that route.  She tried something but my boss stayed for the meeting and basically shot her down.  She's a pushy woman - loud, brash, over decorated with jewelry, wears animal prints, has these vera bradley bags... loud loud - and verbally loud.  She is not a good fix.

Anyhow, she basically wanted her name on the program slides that go to all the senior leaders regularly and was mad my name was there.  But it's... um.... yeah... my job.  *sigh*..... she's attention seeking. 

Now I have to meet with a doctor....

I AM going the distance

Subbed. Love that you train your ass off :)

Thanks.  I love what I do.

Watched Into Darkness last night.  Was not disappointed.

No, no you weren't!!! YES!!!

Damnit, Jim, I'm a doctor! <- one of my favorite lines and I say it all the time bc damnit, I am a doctor. 

Yes, yes I am. 

Oh and "what are you doing with that tribble?"  <- said to spousal unit when I caught him petting the cat (not a euphemism btw)

I AM going the distance

Muay Thai!!!  Here's one of my favorit coaches doing a cool set of combos. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Zdw9vcI6ljY

I'm sitting here at my desk in a Bro-hio t-shirt, listening to RHCP and stickin it to the man whilst drinking coffee and answering emails. 

I need to put on suitable work attire... LOL.

I AM going the distance

MUAY THAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I love MUAY THAI!!!

I thought long and hard about training last night and decided I should try Muay Thai.  Promised myself acute pain would lead to stopping and that if I really felt poorly, I would stop.  I would tell partners or coaches I was fighting an injury as needed (like if we were doing belly kicks).

Luckily, coach planned a class on lead (left) hooks!!!!!!!!!!!  SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  I keep working so hard on my hook.  This is GREAT for me.  Plus I love this coach.  SQUEE

But I got a lousy partner - he's too new and didn't want to work with a girl.  LOL.  He paid for that.  BAM BAM BAM power hooks.  Ha ha ha. 

And, my young friend, I get you are young and a boy/man but here's the thing - your punches totally suck bc you are new and you are not practicing outside of the gym.  Plus you look like "meh.... I'm working with a girl, how hard do I have to try?".  Figure it out my friend.

Anyhoooo.. brilliant combos.  Cross, lead hook, into leg kick or body kick or head kick.  Follow that with a lead hook, cross, into a lead lead kick, switch kick or head kick.  We finished with power hook sprints, combo with sprints, and KB push press kinda thingy.  The kid I was working with had to pick out the KB - I made him - b/c I would have picked out something he couldn't lift. 

What I figured out in class - during warmup - situps are no bueno.  Had to stop doing those.  Very bad.  Very very bad.  Most other stuff okay.  The twisting of the hooks was also a bit of a problem - but only the right hook b/c that's engaging more of the left stabilizers (where my injury is).  Since class was mostly left hooks, I was fine.  Fininshing with the sprints, we did a round of power right hooks and that kind of did me in.  Had to sit and rest after class b/c of ribs.  BUT am feeling okay this a.m. 

It's a banner day b/c it didn't hurt to get out of bed!! BUT walking is still a bit of a bother but improving.  Slowly. 

it's almost time to buy new gloves!  Mine are getting worn out.  SQUEEEE

I AM going the distance

Ha, I love buying new stuff because the old stuff is worn out.  That's when you know you've earned it.

Glad you're feeling better!

Mmmmm.... new gear! I actually have to make sure I don't buy all the stuff!  LOL.  I'm a little sad my gloves are wearing out b/c I love them so much. 

Thanks!  Def less pain today.  Less wincing and grabbing of the ribs.

I AM going the distance

Thanks!  Def less pain today.  Less wincing and grabbing of the ribs.

This is great news!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

This is great news!

It is.  Ribs heal soooo slowly.  Stupid ribs.  I should just get them removed. 

Things that still hurt:

walking far or walking and carrying something (like a gym bag)

bending over

anything ab related (situps, etc.)

and this:  laying in bed on my back cuddling the cat who is happily sitting on my chest and then sneezing.  That hurt.  (and scared the cat)

Believe it or not - loading weight plates on the bar hurts

some rows hurt (I'm finding this out)

the rush of blood after heavy lifting.  Yowza.  It doesn't really hurt to do the actual ilft - kind of aches  - but after I'm done - boooo. 

I AM going the distance

I've been on a crazy training cycle with both volume and weight.  Wow.  Guess that's what I get when coach says something and I reply with "push me".  Ha ha ha - would be easier to just crank out sets of 10 on stuff. 

Yesterday was what I like to refer to as "day of a thousand squats" - working both volume and weight.  Whoosh!  So hard.  BUT wow.... normally, when we hit drop sets after lifting for weight, lifting for volume in the drop sets can be really, really hard.  You know - the struggle to move lighter weight (say 70%) for volume?  The struggle that makes you think about cutting off the last two reps?  Ha ha NO!  My drop sets were CRAZY easy last night.  I zipped through them.  So excited about that. 

Then I went on to a fairly light dead day.  BAM!  Did some rowing.  Meh - not as good for ribs.  Other rows are better I'm finding.  Which is good cause now I'll adjust.  And did some curls for the girls. 

Saddest part of the night:  realizing I lost my lifting straps.  I can't find them anywhere.  Boo.  But... choose happy right?  I GET TO BUY NEW GEAR!!!  heh heh heh - new straps ordered over breakfast (of eggs and roasted beets!).

Best part of the night: my new lifting buddy was there with his roomie!  SQUEE!  I love this guy.  AND some dude wanted to do his heavy squats (really half squats but whatev) and so I let him work in.  BAM!  New buddy!  He was so nice and so much fun to work in with AND BAM! I moved through those heavy squat sets like it was nobody's business.  BAM! 

Dante, my man, we'll squat together again soon!  He made a promise to work in with me again.  And then told me I'm an animal. 

Wij2L-1.gif

• Like 2

I AM going the distance

YEEEE. HEAVY SQUAT BUDDIES ARE THE BEST BUDDIES.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1