cline Taking a Knee (srsly) and Shooting the Shit

I know that if a couple of people talk about it, it's going to spread through NF so soon everyone will be all:  oh, i'm taking fighting classes.  Oh me too.  Oh me too.  I invented taking fighting classes.  No, I invented the thought of it long before you.  I can't wait to watch trendy wendy.

I'm not planning on taking any fighting classes anytime soon, but if you wanted to get the fire going I could start making shit up about how awesome my non-existent fight class is. Rumors and gossip don't have to be true, right? :P

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Just spent an hour on the phone w a guy who just went to work w the Chinese weightlifting team.

BAM! and it's only Thursday

Pardon typos, I'm eating jerky.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I'm not planning on taking any fighting classes anytime soon, but if you wanted to get the fire going I could start making shit up about how awesome my non-existent fight class is. Rumors and gossip don't have to be true, right? :P

Do it! Lol

Especially say you're doing it and then don't! Whoooo hoooo all the fighting

Everybody was kung fu fighting!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I know that if a couple of people talk about it, it's going to spread through NF so soon everyone will be all:  oh, i'm taking fighting classes.  Oh me too.  Oh me too.  I invented taking fighting classes.  No, I invented the thought of it long before you.  I can't wait to watch trendy wendy.

Uh...aren't you supposed to *not* talk about fight club? :P

Uh...aren't you supposed to *not* talk about fight club? :tongue:

It's funny but fight club is not like crossfit.  We don't talk about it that much outside of the gym.  I even have fb chats with people from the gym and we don't even talk about fights or fighting.  The vibe is so different.  And except for very few people (almost always women), nobody emphasizes what a badass he is or complains about the way equipment is put away or critiques other people.  Smeh.  If we see a guy doing warmups that suit him, we don't mock him or judge.  To be honest, the people there don't care.  They are just happy other people show up to fight.  It's such a great atmosphere. 

Although, last night we were teasing one of our amateur fighters about his "rockstar style".  LOL.  It was funny b/c coach started it and the guy is SO NOT a rockstar.  It was funny.  He got into it.  I love that guy.  At 21, from the hood, with barely a hs diploma, he has more class and style than most people I know.  He is a deeply good man.

MMA gym very much like the gay gym - so little judgement by the bros. 

You know.... I've been wanting to say this for a while:  People assume the lifting community is full of assholes who sit around and mock the guys on bosu balls and mock bad form and who are constantly reinforcing their bad-assitude.  They assume they all sit around shoveling ice cream in, comparing chucks, and taking ups space.  The thing is - it's not.  And Yeah... when you hang with Rip at the Arnold, you are qualified to comment. 

People who constantly gripe about how equipment is not racked properly, about broz doing curls, and about the bad form they want to correct at the gym are spending too much time stoking their own sad egos and not enough time focusing on their own business between sets. 

And for every person you want to mock, someone is mocking you.  Remember that.  It's true. 

What's nice about my gay gym and my mma gym is that people really don't judge.  Dude on leg press machine?  cool.  Bro curling on a bosu ball?  cool.  Dude using smith machine?  cool.  Dude doing some wonky ab thing? cool.  First class learning to punch?  cool.  20th class and you still can't figure out the hook footwork?  cool.  You want to work technique tonight instead of power?  cool.  I've never once felt judged there.

Now, the women in the locker room at the gay gym?  That's a different story.  The bros on the floor - not once. 

• Like 2

I AM going the distance

Last night:  more MUAY THAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chatted with coach a long time before class and BAM! got offered a chance to corner tonight but BOOOOOO I'm busy tonight.  Bummer.   But it's coming I know it!

Class was focused on counters and habituating counters.  We were looking to return same side punches or direct punches with counters such as 2, 3, clinch knee to post leg kick or 1, 2 (body), 3, cut kick.  It was a GOOD class. 

Unfortunately, I ended up with seriously newb partner and he tries so hard and enjoys it so much (he's so nice) but I don't get as much work as I need.  I can't hit hard enough and I can't really kick.  It's not a good match.  But he's the deaf guy (I know his name I'm just not sharing) and a lot of people don't get how to work with him and I'm comfortable with it, so....  he just has no endurance or strength and he's just too new to be a good partner for me. 

We finished with 3x3 mins rounds of sparring.  He didn't want to get hit in the face, so we had to do body sparring.  When we could switch partners, I worked with one of the newer women and she's got great potential if she sticks with it.  I enjoyed working with her very very much.  She's got a fight face!  I hope she stays.

This afternoon.... beach.

I AM going the distance

Guys...the roof on my pub collapsed yesterday. Everyone is fine. Owner is in shock, staff out of work. Streets were all closed until well after midnight bc they had to remove large parts of the building and stabilize it. We are just crushed for everyone. Talked to many of them last night. It's so sad.

The city is an amazing place. Immediate, awesome response. Contractor in right away (I gotta guy), VFW poured free drinks for the staff, one vet is on watch there bc he's a regular at the bar, cops guarded the site all night to keep losers away. Amazing place.

So sad though. I'm grieving for them all. So glad nobody was hurt.

This is the saddest thing I've read all morning.  And I've been reading the news this morning.

Glad everyone is okay, though.

I've wanted to take a martial art for a really long time. I didn't know that many people who took one though, so I was ok. Now, I feel it very acutely. Every time I pass a place, I stop and look longingly. I really need to see if I can find the time...

Yesss.... Come and be with the Monks.....

Do it.  Be a trendy wendy and do it.  It's the next thing on NF now that everyone is over goruck.  Do it..... 

Hey, some of us are rucking still! (Says the guy with no ruck whatsoever.)

Last night:  more MUAY THAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chatted with coach a long time before class and BAM! got offered a chance to corner tonight but BOOOOOO I'm busy tonight.  Bummer.   But it's coming I know it!

Class was focused on counters and habituating counters.  We were looking to return same side punches or direct punches with counters such as 2, 3, clinch knee to post leg kick or 1, 2 (body), 3, cut kick.  It was a GOOD class. 

Unfortunately, I ended up with seriously newb partner and he tries so hard and enjoys it so much (he's so nice) but I don't get as much work as I need.  I can't hit hard enough and I can't really kick.  It's not a good match.  But he's the deaf guy (I know his name I'm just not sharing) and a lot of people don't get how to work with him and I'm comfortable with it, so....  he just has no endurance or strength and he's just too new to be a good partner for me. 

We finished with 3x3 mins rounds of sparring.  He didn't want to get hit in the face, so we had to do body sparring.  When we could switch partners, I worked with one of the newer women and she's got great potential if she sticks with it.  I enjoyed working with her very very much.  She's got a fight face!  I hope she stays.

I hear about the not-hard-enough-workout thing when it comes being paired with newer guys.  One new guy at my dojo is super tall, so I get paired with him a lot.  Eager to learn, but my dojo time spent with him is definitely less intense than if I practice with something closer to my level.  Interesting to work on my teaching skills with him, but physical activity wise.... dammit, sometimes I just want to chuck people across the room.

Enjoy the beach!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Ahhhh...the beach. Enjoy! There is much soul-feeding to be had there.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

I'm actually eating jerky.

The beach. .. almost there. Sand in 60 mins max

I AM going the distance

Beaaaach! I am jealous. It's cold and cloudy here. 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Beaaaach! I am jealous. It's cold and cloudy here.

Stupid weather! Wish you were here!

Up nice and early. Already ate breakfast (we packed our own). Getting ready to go train! It's overcast so hoping the clouds lift a bit but I really don't care bc

Beach.

I AM going the distance

Yesterday trained, beach, dinner, friends. Bumped into other friends.

Today, soon we train, beach, massage, beach, dinner, friends.

• Like 2

I AM going the distance

And so... The magic of life proves karma is amazing shit

This man is now in my life

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YJm3WhA7Yko

(And proves yet again you ain't got to be fat to lift heavy stuff)

I AM going the distance

Yesterday trained, beach, dinner, friends. Bumped into other friends.

Today, soon we train, beach, massage, beach, dinner, friends.

straight up perfect weekend itinerary.

And in your life HOW? Tell me mooore. Fuckin' awesome.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Wow

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

um... yes.  wow.  da man.

straight up perfect weekend itinerary.

And in your life HOW? Tell me mooore. Fuckin' awesome.

I accidentally meet people.  It's cool.

Art-out-of-everyday-objects9__700.jpg

bwaa haa haa

I AM going the distance

Weekend training recap:

Saturday - heavy bench and oodles of assistance work at my out of town gym

Sunday - heavy bench, heavy deads, oodles of assistance work at out of town gym 

They had the jacob's ladder thing there and I wanted to get on but was too knackered after long sessions so I didn't do it.  Opted instead for beach walking.  Our beach has very little hard sand, it's almost all soft (even in the surf), so beach walking can be tough after a while.  But it's beach...so yea!

Monday I went to advance Muay Thai again! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Coach had us working feints to power combos based on a big winning combo in a fight this weekend.  I had a fantastic partner who worked me hard.  It was so great.

First combo focused on a jab, cross to the body (to set up the feint and power combo), 1, feint 2 to the body, and immediately power into a hook combo of left, right, left hooks, finish with a cut kick to the lead lead.  BAM! 

Second combo reversed this to a cross, jab to the body, cross, feint jab, and immediately into right, left, right hooks, finishing with a fade away inside leg kick.  BAM! 

We worked those combos and then finished with 3x3 min rounds of nonstop pad work.  I was exhausted.  Hot mess.

Then I got to chatting about lifting with one coach, books with two other coaches, and then I went home to a shower.  Finished the long weekend off with a trip to the other pub and watching baseball on the patio there.  Nice.  Beer!  Booo.... gotta stop the beers.

Got contractors at the house today working on my new bathroom floor!  Huzzah!  But it means gym showers some time this week.  Boooo.

Tonight... because my schedule is weird again... MUAY THAI!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cannot wait. 

I AM going the distance

again, last night MUAY THAI!  SQUEEEE great partner (Finnish dude!).  Exhausting class.  We knew we were in for a rough ride when we started doing a hip opener flexibility drill .... that usually means a ton of kicking.

In Muay Thai kicking, you have to get your leg turned over so foot is turned in 90 deg from where it would be if you just put your leg straight out in front.  On your back leg, if you are leg kicking, you are stepping out.  If you are body or head kicking, you are up on your toes. 

Here's a nice picture of a head kick - note the legs on the kicker - hip turned over and up on his back toes... his opponent clearly started to block for a body kick (that's why his leg is up) and then got the block for the head kick

shutterstock98137298.jpg

Last night we continued a series on power hooks and setting up power hook combos.  SQUEEEE I love me some power hooks. 

The first combo included a power hook to a head kick.  GAH!  All the head kicking.  At one point I caught the bottom of the pads - YEOWCH!  Foot is a little banged up.  Second combo included this amazing finish of an inside leg kick to a cut kick.  It was so much fun.  BUT we were exhausted because we each had 2x5 mins rounds of pad work with only a short break.  This is after some dutch sparring and other stuff.  GAH!  We finished with a horrid finisher of leg kicks.  My legs are a bit banged up today.  Oh yeah and we opened with a punch sprint ladder incorporating bw dips and gloved pushups.  GAH!  So much freaking fun.  That coach is a blast.  I love the guys there.

Tonight is back to the regular gym for training and then on to baseball!!!  SQUEEE!  and tonight, the Phillies are honoring the Taney Dragons - the first Philly little league team to make it to the big games.  They did so well and they are all so adorable.  They are getting a city parade today and the Phillies are honoring them tonight.  They are amazing kids.  They all get to throw out the first pitch tonight.  It will be too too cute. 

Other than that... bathroom renovations in full swing.  Big giant hole in the ceiling, no toilet, and tonight/tomorrow no shower! Boo.  Gym shower... blech.  But we should be back in business with the shower and toilet by Friday.  Kittehs are not feeling the love for the noise and mess. 

I AM going the distance

Bathroom remodeling can get frustrating with the showering elsewhere, but when its done it'll be worth it. Woot to remodeling!!

Bathroom remodeling can get frustrating with the showering elsewhere, but when its done it'll be worth it. Woot to remodeling!!

Bathrooms... gah!  The toilet is still not back in and there is still a huge hole in the ceiling.  All the electrical is done (including ceiling).  I think they put the fixture in today.  I suspect toilet will still be sitting in a different room.  Grout goes in today.  Tiles are amazing.  Contractor described them as "sexy".  They are imported from Italy.  So lovely.  Not sure what else gets done today.

I'm just so glad I'm not doing it. 

I AM going the distance

Let's see... I lifted on Weds, trained Muay Thai yesterday, lift today (get out of work early! SQUEEE means more time at gym!).

Yesterday in Muay Thai we worked the long rhythm from boxing and talked about how it's used in Muay Thai.  My partner was just returning to Muay Thai after a long absence (he's majoring in engineering in school and couldn't swing the time away from campus).  Luckily, he's super fit (running and swimming).  So, while his technique needs a brush up and his kicks are kind of crappy, he's a hard hitter and so we beat on eat other for an hour and then hung out chatting. 

I was asked to coach at the next smoker.  I think it's cause I'm not afraid of blood or spit.  LOL. 

I AM going the distance

I AM going the distance