cline Taking a Knee (srsly) and Shooting the Shit

I don't disagree that there are stress addicts out there and that they like to talk about it. but I guess the article wasn't written very well for me. Like I said, my initial impression was that I was a stress addict. And while I do like challenges, I do take time off and don't obsess about not reaching a goal. Or whatever. 

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

I think we need to examine motivations and feelings of success. We also need to examine our ability, or lack there of, to just be content. We fill our lives with distractions so we don't have to be emotionally committed to the now. Have two jobs, do two workouts, run errands, watch tv, play video games, etc.

This was a lead "article" today (it's really more of a column). The comments are great.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/19/magazine/why-are-americans-so-fascinated-with-extreme-fitness.html?_r=1

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

This is what I'm trying to say:

Imagine you are invited to hike. It's not an epic hike. Nothing about it will or can be epic.

You are not hiking to something...there is no destination, no sight to behold, no payoff. Hike in, hike out.

You are not going to carry the heaviest load (or any load), you are not going to be the fastest, the strongest, or the most fearless. It's just a hike...no weight, no extra exercise, no racing against yourself or others, no risks. You are not doing it in the dark or in a storm. You are not fasted, weak, injured, or otherwise "overcoming" anything to be awesome.

You are not blogging, tweeting, or posting about your hike. Nobody knows.

You just hike in, hike out. That's it. It is not epic. It is not amazing. You are not better than anyone else or better than who you were yesterday.

Would you go?

And if you say "hell yes!", examine the motivation.

And if you went, would you feel compelled, in the end, to have an epic experience anyhow, somehow.....?

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Yes, I would go. Because I've always done things like that. I hardly post about such things because I don't believe in wasting time with such things and I focus on the now.

What I don't like these articles so much because they are critical about these activities without looking at a deeper root cause. 

Personally I think we're seeing these physical exertion things spike due to our lack of physical activity in real life. We don't hunt, we don't farm, we don't build things, we have little fear of death due to environment. So the physical need is there in the animal part of the brain but it has no outlet. Then you want to get in shape to find mates, and boom the animal part kicks in and starts figuring out ways to push you. 

Social media just throws a curveball into the whole mix though. 

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

I think the paleo idea - that we've lost touch - is interesting but paleo man hardly spent all his time swinging a hammer at a tire and then going to yoga and then going on a run and then whining how he can't bring himself to clean his apartment or eat vegetables.

Someone sent me this today: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/11/your-money/Envy-is-no-basis-for-financial-planning.html?_r=2

Still on theme.

Spousal unit said most people here would take my hiking challenge to say "F U I can do that! Watch me beat you at your game!" Which proves my point.....

I AM going the distance

I get envy and the path it can take you down. It makes sense. I get the trader that had to get out when he realized his 7 figure bonus wasn't big enough (I just left that industry after 17 years, and his descriptions are very accurate). But I'm not sure I buy competition necessarily leads to envy, or that even if you win you'll lose.

Testing what you're capable of is fun. Whether you win or lose. I spent many years playing on many losing sports teams. If I only did it because I wanted to beat someone else or have what they had, I would've quit long ago because it wouldn't have provided any enjoyment. I did it because I liked the sport. I did it because I wanted to have fun. Because I had fun, I won.

As far as the hike, I might go but I don't need to make it epic. Maybe I'm getting too old to go looking for epic around every corner. Sometimes a nice hike is just that...nice.

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Most hiking is over now, I believe. Hit a nice couple of hikes day before yesterday. Amazing. Also saw a full rainbow!!! When we slow down and appreciate, we see many things.

I did some serious hiking in my vibrams. I've not done this before. My innov8s have zero traction (worn down) and now have a hole from caving. And they were all wet bc well... hole and I went to stand on a river bank that was grassy but it was really grass in the water....damn. Anyhow, vibrams.

Hiked a really rocky trail. Interesting. At one point I exclaimed "well, the mud in my shoes makes my feet feel squishy but it's not a bad feeling. Actually, better than wet shoes". So there it is. I love the vibrams. I wear them everywhere.

Got a new windbreaker!!! SQUEEEEEEE. I prefer layers in winter to winter coats. I hate coats actually. I really hate the sleeping bags all the women seem to wear. They must be sold with yoga and Capri pants. Make no sense to me. One does not need to wear a sleeping bag. AND I firmly believe that unless you've been to the North Face, you shouldn't wear shit with it stitched on. You don't even know where it is (stop googling... You don't know). Ahem, I have in fact been to the North Face and no, I don't wear that pseudo sports gear. Now get off my lawn.

I'm tempted to rant about idiots and Ebola but that takes too much time and energy. I am going to train.

I AM going the distance

I'm a fan of the brand.  Not all of their stuff, but a bunch of it.  Because it is quality.

And, I'm looking forward to running in (at least one of) their Endurance Challenges next year.

And, because they do shit like this:

Also - under armor.  I avoided it like the plague because I didn't like what it represented (football culture, etc.)  But, damned if it isn't the best underwear ever... and, now I am venturing into some of their shirts.  

I love hiking.  I love beer.  I love wine.  I want your trip to be mine.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

Most hiking is over now, I believe. Hit a nice couple of hikes day before yesterday. Amazing. Also saw a full rainbow!!! When we slow down and appreciate, we see many things.

Mmmm, rainbows. I like me some rainbows. I just never find any of the damned unicorns folks are always talking about hanging around with rainbows.

I did some serious hiking in my vibrams. I've not done this before. My innov8s have zero traction (worn down) and now have a hole from caving. And they were all wet bc well... hole and I went to stand on a river bank that was grassy but it was really grass in the water....damn. Anyhow, vibrams.

Hiked a really rocky trail. Interesting. At one point I exclaimed "well, the mud in my shoes makes my feet feel squishy but it's not a bad feeling. Actually, better than wet shoes". So there it is. I love the vibrams. I wear them everywhere.

Mmmm, Vibrams. I love me some Vibrams. So I have 2 pair! Although, I've never had them full of mud. Wet and sandy, full of snow turning to ice, but never muddy. I bet it feels cool though.

Got a new windbreaker!!! SQUEEEEEEE. I prefer layers in winter to winter coats. I hate coats actually. I really hate the sleeping bags all the women seem to wear. They must be sold with yoga and Capri pants. Make no sense to me. One does not need to wear a sleeping bag. AND I firmly believe that unless you've been to the North Face, you shouldn't wear shit with it stitched on. You don't even know where it is (stop googling... You don't know). Ahem, I have in fact been to the North Face and no, I don't wear that pseudo sports gear. Now get off my lawn.

BWAHAHAHA! That right there is funny. It's kind of an Art of Clineliness quote.

I'm tempted to rant about idiots and Ebola but that takes too much time and energy. I am going to train.

Idiots and Ebola together, or in separate rants? Cuz, I could see the rant(s) both ways :D

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

I'm a fan of the brand.  Not all of their stuff, but a bunch of it.  Because it is quality.

And, I'm looking forward to running in (at least one of) their Endurance Challenges next year.

And, because they do shit like this:

Also - under armor.  I avoided it like the plague because I didn't like what it represented (football culture, etc.)  But, damned if it isn't the best underwear ever... and, now I am venturing into some of their shirts.  

I love hiking.  I love beer.  I love wine.  I want your trip to be mine.

I hear you on the Under Armor. It is pretty good stuff even though I don't want it to be. So, I own a lot of Champion knock offs of the Under Armor stuff or discontinued and factory defect items from the outlet mall. Not as good, but not bad and cheaper. And...well...see point below.

I don't own any North Face (and I've never been there, so I'm okay in cline's book, right? :P), so I can't speak to how good their stuff is or isn't. Why don't I own any? It's got nothing to do with the brand other than the price. I'm a cheap bastard. So, I'd be all over grabbing a coat from the ceiling. But, in truth, I probably wouldn't have gone in the store in the first place :(

Oh, I hear you on the prices.  I am a sale guy.

For instance, I was able to procure Brooks winter running gear - half-zip tech fleece, and a vest (windbreaker like) - for $40.  Total retail price on that stuff was easily $120+.

I search for sales and discounts all the time.  But, my experience has been the higher price is worth the higher quality product.  Because the higher quality product performs at a higher caliber for a longer period than the imitation gear.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

[emoji300]ï¸Always fun to stop by and read the rants.

Sent through a magic box.

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Spousal Unit: Oh! A North Face store!

Me: no! No. No. It's a fashion store. They have one I'm Philly.

Spousal Unit: Maybe I'll go in

Me: if you drag me in there, I'll quiz every sorry person in there about a) What is north face & B) if correctly identified, where is it? I'll ask every damn person.

Spousal Unit: Yeah I always forget there's one at home. No need to go.

Damn. I was looking forward to putting on a sleeping bag (aka coat) and asking my questions. Sigh. ...

I don't hate either brand per se. It's the dumbass cults around them. EVERY woman wears a north face sleeping bag. Why? It's 30 deg. You are Not sleeping in a tent. But a nice coat. Be unique. Nobody thinks you were backpacking in your stupid yoga pants and damned flip flops.

The mass marketing of "sporty" drives me bonkers.

Take your soy pumpkin frappe latte yoga capri nike shoe wearing north face jacket wearing butt home in your car where you can sit for hours watching tv and reading magazines.

If you spent time on a mountain, you'd quickly realize sporty ain't trendy.

Sorry sporty spice.

• Like 2

I AM going the distance

Oh and get off my lawn.

Mmmm I'm getting ready for a nerd date.

I AM going the distance

I think the paleo idea - that we've lost touch - is interesting but paleo man hardly spent all his time swinging a hammer at a tire and then going to yoga and then going on a run and then whining how he can't bring himself to clean his apartment or eat vegetables.

Someone sent me this today: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/11/your-money/Envy-is-no-basis-for-financial-planning.html?_r=2

Still on theme.

Spousal unit said most people here would take my hiking challenge to say "F U I can do that! Watch me beat you at your game!" Which proves my point.....

I laughed my butt off.  That's so beautifully accurate!

Oh and get off my lawn.

Mmmm I'm getting ready for a nerd date.

Nerd date?!?!?!

10600664_782026918515609_683368498793329

This is my favorite, ever. Now I know which Spice Girl I would have been...

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I buy gear that works. Doesn't matter to me who makes it. I buy UnderArmour because it works. I haven't gotten a piece that hasn't. I also buy at a discount. 

I do buy some cheaper version of things. Old Navy has a decent performance shirt, but it's no UA. But it's also half the price. Considering I drop sizes so quick, I can afford to go "cheaper" some times.

I buy Eddie Bauer shorts. They're the best I've found. I buy them on sale, and they're still $50 bucks. I don't care because they don't suck. They look good and work good too. 

I'm always about quality, I don't care about price until the cost/benefit breaks down.

I buy shoes that work. I spent 2 hours in a running shoe store to find the right pair of shoes. I spent over $100 bucks on a pair of running shoes. Totally worth it. They are ugly, but they work. 

Personally, people just have too much money apparently.

I only buy gear when I need it. I still have my UA Tech shirts that are XXL. They're like wearing a sheet but they're still useful for working out. 

I also find it hilarious you're ranting about this yet you have Vibrams (as do I).

Mmmm, rainbows. I like me some rainbows. I just never find any of the damned unicorns folks are always talking about hanging around with rainbows.

Mmmm, Vibrams. I love me some Vibrams. So I have 2 pair! Although, I've never had them full of mud. Wet and sandy, full of snow turning to ice, but never muddy. I bet it feels cool though.

BWAHAHAHA! That right there is funny. It's kind of an Art of Clineliness quote.

Idiots and Ebola together, or in separate rants? Cuz, I could see the rant(s) both ways :D

Oh man that rainbow was amazing.  I looked for both unicorns and leprechauns and felt mother nature is totally guilty of false advertising.  I do hold fast to the notion that there was a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  Some might call it a "barrel of microbrew" but gold nonetheless.

Who knew I'd enjoy vibrams so much?  Oh, yeah, I did.  I just had to buy some. I need winter ones...

Idiots and Ebola in the case of modern day USA go together.  They do not go together in West Africa UNLESS you want to criticize WHO and others for their idiotic handling of a clear outbreak AND unless you want to criticize all the global forces that believe consumer marketing of products we don't need is more important than global health.   AND.... *sigh*

I know of people not taking vacations, not flying b/c they are afraid of ebola.  Yet they will not get flu shots, they will stuff crap food in their faces (regularly, not once in a while treats), they will smoke, they will sit on their asses for hours on end doing nothing but watching "reality" television.... *sigh*

10600664_782026918515609_683368498793329

^^^^ THIS is amazing! 

I AM going the distance

I buy gear that works. Doesn't matter to me who makes it. I buy UnderArmour because it works. I haven't gotten a piece that hasn't. I also buy at a discount. 

I do buy some cheaper version of things. Old Navy has a decent performance shirt, but it's no UA. But it's also half the price. Considering I drop sizes so quick, I can afford to go "cheaper" some times.

I buy Eddie Bauer shorts. They're the best I've found. I buy them on sale, and they're still $50 bucks. I don't care because they don't suck. They look good and work good too. 

I'm always about quality, I don't care about price until the cost/benefit breaks down.

I buy shoes that work. I spent 2 hours in a running shoe store to find the right pair of shoes. I spent over $100 bucks on a pair of running shoes. Totally worth it. They are ugly, but they work. 

Personally, people just have too much money apparently.

I only buy gear when I need it. I still have my UA Tech shirts that are XXL. They're like wearing a sheet but they're still useful for working out. 

I don't have a problem with expensive gear.  I totally shell out the bucks.  I don't have a problem with name brand gear.  I don't care that UA has football associations.  I don't care that lululemon has yoga and running associations.  Meh.  I don't care that they have good advertising and marketing or slick stores.  I just went to mountain hardwear for a coat b/c I've had great luck with their coats AND bc spousal unit has one of their coats and they are repairing it for him. 

I do have a HUGE problem with 1) athletic clothes as "lifestyle" - e.g. wear yoga clothes everywhere.  People will see me as sporty.  2) Buying name brands to be trendy/included - that's why 99% of the people you see are wearing North Face fleece jackets or down jackets. 

If you want a really damned good jacket - check out LL Bean or Land's End.  Shit - they use their jackets on the weather channel.  Those are some damned good coats.  Amazing coats actually.  Oh but sorry, not trendy.  They are instead... functional.  And effing warm and water repellent and well made. 

I also find it hilarious you're ranting about this yet you have Vibrams (as do I).

Why?  I have oodles of name brand shit in my office right now - ipad, chucks, UA gym bag... stupid iphone for work, other name brand phone, I think my scarf today is from the gap, I think the shorts in my bag are nike or adidas or something, hp computer, ... oh and my new coat!  Ha.  Vibrams are just another name brand. 

BUT If I bought them just b/c they are Vibrams or just bc they are trendy or just bc I'm blindy brand loyal ... then that's a problem.

I bought them solely b/c I believe humans are meant to be barefoot and I feel the best when I'm barefoot.  I'm happiest barefoot.  I loathe shoes and socks.  It took me two primalcons before I finally decided I'd try them.  I'm actually not wearing shoes now.  The first thing I do in my office is take off my shoes. 

I AM going the distance

I bought them solely b/c I believe humans are meant to be barefoot and I feel the best when I'm barefoot.  I'm happiest barefoot.  I loathe shoes and socks.  It took me two primalcons before I finally decided I'd try them.  I'm actually not wearing shoes now.  The first thing I do in my office is take off my shoes. 

But it's a manner of perception. People seeing you don't know you use them as intended. They might look at you and assume that your one of those "hippie" people and don't use them functionally. It's just perception.

As for wearing sporty clothes but not being sporty, I don't care. As far as I can tell, women wear yoga pants because they're comfortable. Those Nikes are comfortable. I think it's just laziness. No northface jackets here. Mainly just Nike Pro shorts and different lululemon tops. I don't really care. I'm too worried about what I'm doing.

Like you said, real "sporty" people don't wear anything sporty while being sporty. See below.

Jim14.jpg

^^^ huh.  He's not wearing "I'm a badass" t shirt or a hoodie or anything with a skull and cross bones.  and oh look he's deadlifting in lifting shoes.  And I'll bet he pulled the weight up just fine. 

my heavens... hell must be freezing over... must get a north face jacket.

Okay kids, off to a meeting... the first person who brings up ebola (somebody has already mentioned it today) is getting elbowed.  I'm not kidding.

I've already invoked my inner Terry Crews once today. 

I AM going the distance

"Elbows for ebola." 

Sounds like some sort of fund raiser.

"I'm taking pledges to raise funds to wipe out ebola from our vocabulary. Would you be willing to sponsor me for each person I elbow after invoking ebola? My goal $2,500. Anything you can spare would be appreciated and will go a long way towards slowing down the lunacy that has taken grip of the population. Then maybe we can start talking about something that kills a lot more people, like influenza"

• Like 1

Jim14.jpg

Well, he clearly is not dressed properly. Grey fleece, plan black T, cut off pants? How can you actually lift something dressed like that? Even the white board in the background is mocking his attire. Yep, that weight didn't come off the ground.

The white board is even calling him names!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1