How a Hero comes in late.

Spark

*grins* Be sure and throw me a review on Amazon.

Anyway! The dragging continues, folks. I'm gonna be glad to get half credit for this challenge, I swear. Between starting late and then missing a week and a half for vacation, this one's just been dead on arrival. But SLOG I WILL.

1. No games today!

2. I did half my Monday workout, but the gym was freakin' packed when I went in. No big; I can do my leg stuff at the gym tomorrow at the end of my arms workout. Fortunately I don't do a LOT of leg stuff at the gym.

3. I nailed down how I'm gonna add enough to the story to make it seem like more than a pamphlet! It turns out I had the answer staring right at me all along. Now to the writing-cave! Pen-monkey away!

• Like 5

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

Keep slogging, we're almost there!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Just a quick note to let you know I finished The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle and LOVED IT! Already got 2 of my friends hooked and hyped to order and read it (cause support the writer and I'm not lending books or music anyway :P ). Will drop by amazon to write a critic as soon as I'm able. Seriously, you need to write m0@r!

• Like 1

Lvl 45 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

Oh, I totally am. Next up is probably the Vampire/Cyborg Shitstorm, which I'm calling Suck in my head. After that...who knows? But I'm planning more of the story of Ward and Virgil and Fraser. The Mercenary's Guide to Sunken St. Louis, anyone?

Okay, to the matter at hand!

I've been slogging like a sloggy thing. The fact is that I struggle with the video game thing, so I'm still at about fifty percent on that. I've been working the workouts, if only in a halfhearted manner, but I've been doing it. I've been low on motivation to come and post here because I feel like I've really let this challenge get away from me.

Also I've been distracted by this one girl. >.> That part has been awesome, unexpected, and largely unprecedented.

I promise that Thursday is going to be partially spent catching up on everyone's challenges. You guys are a huge factor in me sticking with any workouts at all, and I love you for it. Please don't interpret my silence as lack of interest.

Cheers!

• Like 6

But I'm planning more of the story of Ward and Virgil and Fraser. The Mercenary's Guide to Sunken St. Louis, anyone?

Preorders available yet?

Good to hear about this one girl (No Lilly jokes, promise). That should be all the motivation you need for dealing with videogames and workouts. And no, we don't interpret your silence as having given up, we're just worried about you and whether everything is ok. I am, at least.

• Like 1

Lvl 45 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

Right then.

Blerch came, and Blerch kicked some ass, but Blerch did not triumph entirely. Now that the challenge is over, things have settled down enough around here that I can post more. Ain't that always the way?

1. I maintained a solid "less than fifty percent" success rate on the no-games challenge. This is a fail in any class I've ever taken. So, for the purposes of this challenge? FAIL. As with many things around here, though, it was more of a stepping stone than an abject failure. I learned things about myself. Namely, I learned that I turn to games because I get bored thanks to life here in Lower Nowhere. When I have other things to distract me (like that girl) then I tend to move away from games. The issue isn't so much an addiction to gaming as it is that I need to learn how to manage my time better. This is valuable knowledge. +1 Wis

2. Work the workout: I did okay! I felt like a bum because of the starting point of the challenge, when I didn't hit a gym for a couple weeks, but I managed to keep healthy and active (for me) in spite of that. There were several times that I skipped leg day, though, and some core days. I call this one a shaky win, mostly 'cause during this time I DID up my resistances on several things, so there's still progress going on.. +1 Str. +1 Con.

3. Edit my NaNoWriMo book. I got about halfway through this process, which was a good start. I managed to make what I have readable, and I found out that I need about 20k more words to really make it better. I also figured out how the ending would actually work, which is good. So, if it was a pass-fail thing, I failed. Since it's more artistic, I say that the score is "Q to 12." I feel like I made good progress on it, and that was really my goal here. +1 Wis.

So there we have it! Challenge four, the Challenge Of The Blerch. It was plagued, in my case, by a wide variety of errands, life changes, vacations, and general bleh. It has been the least successful of my challenges, but for one thing: It's motivated me to kick some ass in challenge five.

Cheers!

• Like 2

I learned things about myself. Namely, I learned that I turn to games because I get bored thanks to life here in Lower Nowhere. When I have other things to distract me (like that girl) then I tend to move away from games. The issue isn't so much an addiction to gaming as it is that I need to learn how to manage my time better.

There's always stuff you can do in your free time, namely reading: can be done anywhere, never gets boring and I'd expect you to like it since you're into writing. If nothing else, at least be social about your games and hook up with some fellow nerds for multiplayer ;) Or, you can always drop by this place where we're trying to set something up, we could use your writing. Speaking of writing, fanboy waiting for Mercenary's Guide to Sunken St. Louis here.

Congratulations on making it through. Here's to one more challenge above the roses

• Like 1

Lvl 45 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

Well, you know how those groups are, bunch of people getting together, encouraging each other, posting successes and usually following weekly mini-challenges along a (basic or more extensive, according to taste) storyline. The RPG Fanatics are always a good blueprint, but I was thinking more of something like the Rangers' mini challenges, set in the wonderful world you've created. Perhaps the members are an adventuring band exploring around, or members of a stronghold setting out to explore, gather supplies and secure the surrounding area, bit of zombie/nuclear apocalypse style. Could be anything really, just thinking along the lines of the Rangers' challenges because they also involved setting a beachhead, exploring around, mapping the place, doing battles etc.

I think the setting is interesting and it would be a good chance to expand on that world's info, maybe try out a few new ideas as well (Did you know that the core Dragonlance novel trilogy is more or less an adaptation of a tabletop campaign the writers played with some friends?). It's been going around my head for a while, mainly because, like I've told you, I'd like to run a tabletop RPG game set in the Broken World, but since you mentioned you need other things to distract you from videogames, I thought you could run a group like that since 1) You're the creator of that setting 2) You could try out new ideas before putting them in a sequel 3) It could be the distraction you need from playing videogames and 4) We friggin' love your writing.

• Like 1

Lvl 45 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines