nightlight: Focus, damnit.

nightlight

Did you say "too much" rambling? I love rambling! Is that what rangers do, cause if so they are cooler than I thought. Or is it just you? Either way, after reading all that, I am now invested in your story. Looking forward to reading future updates!

I so feel you on pills. I've learned the hard way that I'm mostly functional on them and not without, so I just swallow my daily dosage and get on with my life. Even with pills, it's good you recognize the value of support and having an outlet.

• Like 1

Level 10 Vegetarian Vampire Warrior

STR: 16 DEX: 7 STA: 6 WIS: 46 CON: 27 CHA: 17

Intro | Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Yesterday:

fix the food:

i didn't update MFP yet. when i WFH my eating goes to pot. 

Lunch: 1 cup of leftover chicken/pineapple fried rice

snack: 1 packed chocolate hazlenut butter

Dinner: 1.5 roasted chicken breast, salad with ranch dressing (i NEVER have ranch, so when i want it, i get it) 1 small piece of cornbread with butter. 

Snack because i was mindlessly eating: frozen blueberries with local honey

so...meh on eating today. too much sugar. nothing awful, but all together not great. 

fix the back:

did some light stretching, but nothing that would aggravate it further. I see the MD tomorrow. 

fix the mind: 

tried to do some positive visualization... tried being the operative word.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

fix the mind: i did a lot of positive visualization. whenever i felt myself going to a dark place, i forced myself to take breaths and picture myself completely healed and lifting lots of weight, safely.

The Zen of Fitness.  I feel like NF could compile a book on that subject.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Tries to be Normal

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

So I go away for a year and things go all to hell. Waiting it hear how it went with the doc, but whatever he said, TAKE IT EASY UNTIL YOU HEAL!!!! Rush things and you'll just make em worse, but as much as I hate sitting out injuries too, I know that's a lot easier said than done. Getting late here (I'm back in Asscrackistan) but will be checking back in on ya.

• Like 1

The Zen of Fitness.  I feel like NF could compile a book on that subject.

yes! or the Zen of Nightlight.

So I go away for a year and things go all to hell. Waiting it hear how it went with the doc, but whatever he said, TAKE IT EASY UNTIL YOU HEAL!!!! Rush things and you'll just make em worse, but as much as I hate sitting out injuries too, I know that's a lot easier said than done. Getting late here (I'm back in Asscrackistan) but will be checking back in on ya.

YES! I've missed you. Hope you are staying safe.

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Yesterday:

Fix the food: 

(not logged, i'm an asshole) 

lunch: tuna (2 cans) w/ 1 tbsp mayo, 2 corn tortillas. 

dinner: out with mom, green papaya salad, pad kee mao with calamari. 

Fix the back:

light stretching, as i was seeing the doc today. 

Fix the mind: 

eh. not so good on this one. but more because i was tired, and crashed after dinner. these pillz knock me out.

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Yesterday:

Fix the food: 

(not logged, i'm an asshole) 

lunch: tuna (2 cans) w/ 1 tbsp mayo, 2 corn tortillas. 

dinner: out with mom, green papaya salad, pad kee mao with calamari. 

Fix the back:

light stretching, as i was seeing the doc today. 

Fix the mind: 

eh. not so good on this one. but more because i was tired, and crashed after dinner. these pillz knock me out.

Not an asshole. You just didn't log it.

:)

Current Challenge: Wufkar Stops Making Excuses

------------------------------------------------------

yesterday:

fix the food:

lunch:

1/2lb ground turkey with 3 cups of spinach wilted in. (used trader joes taco seasoning on the meat. love that stuff.)

dinner:

mulder called and asked me over for dinner, as she just got back from her parent's house where she was recovering from hip surgery for the past two weeks. they were ordering chinese. so i got steamed chicken with veggies with sauce on the side. i ate one crab rangoon, about a cup of rice and the rest chicken and veggies with a little bit of sauce. 

then i hit a low spell on will power and ate ice cream. but whatever. 

fix the back:

light stretching. my back hurts today, so i'm taking it light. 

fix the mind:

nada. i need to get on this. been thinking positively lately, and really asking myself some hard questions. i went grocery shopping to pick up some odds and ends today at the health food store. i should post pictures of the fun things i found, but i'll do that later. i picked up some MCT oil which was recommended to me by a friend who has been helping me with my nutrition. i know about MCT oil and all it's benefits, and have been meaning to try it for a while. so i'm glad i finally took someone's advice and picked some up. 

i'm going to a birthday party at a bar tonight. i can't drink. (i CAN, but i don't want to.) so i'm saying it here. i will only have seltzer water with lime. no beer. no cider. no food at the party. i'll grab chipotle on my way home, as i only intend to stay for an hour or so. i have to get up early and have a full day of coaching ahead of me. 

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

u9yqahy7.jpg

Said interesting things found. I did not buy the Annie's cookies, and I ran away from the donuts.

Damn you, Tapatalk!

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Saturday

Fix the food: epic fail. but that's ok. it was wonderful and awful all at once. 

Fix the back: i did ~15min stretching and re-stretching, because i was having some pain, which i wasn't having on friday. (part of the reason my eating went off track, because i was scared and wallowing) 

Fix the mind: didn't do much, but talked myself into going shopping and getting good for me things. I also committed last night to getting food on the right track for today and the week ahead. 

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Progress on some goals beats progress on none, right? I hope the birthday party you went to was fun (I care less about whether you stuck to your goals than if you had fun, but if you were able to both; even better!)

My knee has been hurting me, so I've barely got up from my chair today except to go back to bed for a bit and fix dinner. BTW, even if it was obviously unplanned on your part (unless your psychic!?!), thanks so much for your post reminding me I haven't stretched today! My schedule is off 'cause of the weekend. Might help this ache a bit.

Level 10 Vegetarian Vampire Warrior

STR: 16 DEX: 7 STA: 6 WIS: 46 CON: 27 CHA: 17

Intro | Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

I feel like an energy stir stick is really just an excuse for dirty jokes. And also, WEEEEEEEEE!

panda-ROLL.gif

• Like 1

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Progress on some goals beats progress on none, right? I hope the birthday party you went to was fun (I care less about whether you stuck to your goals than if you had fun, but if you were able to both; even better!)

My knee has been hurting me, so I've barely got up from my chair today except to go back to bed for a bit and fix dinner. BTW, even if it was obviously unplanned on your part (unless your psychic!?!), thanks so much for your post reminding me I haven't stretched today! My schedule is off 'cause of the weekend. Might help this ache a bit.

right. i agree. 

i didn't end up going to the bday party, because my back felt weird. but it was for the best. 

glad i prompted you to get your knee work done!

I feel like an energy stir stick is really just an excuse for dirty jokes. And also, WEEEEEEEEE!

panda-ROLL.gif

LOL. yes. totally. love the panda roll. totally my style.

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Sunday:

Fix the food:

Sunday started ok. well. not really. but whatever. i'll explain later.

while coaching: chobani yogurt, 1 caveman blueberry crunch bar. 

at home after: 1 100cal perfect bar

dinner: annie's gluten free mac and cheese

snack: 1/2c frozen blueberries. 

this isn't horrible. but not great either. 

Fix the back:

i did ~30 minutes of stretching and mobilizing while watching american ninja warrior

Fix the mind: I didn't sleep well last night. at all. i think because i fell asleep for 15 min after i got home while watching tv. oops. i was also really nervous about how my back would feel today at work. (spoiler alert, i ended up staying home and working from home because i didn't sleep) so a ton of monkey mind that wouldn't shut up. boooo. 

i'm reading 'the goldfinch' love it. so that's nice to read before going to bed but i don't want to stop reading, which is tough when i need to put myself to bed. 

my apartment is also again reaching a not great state of messiness. i've been really good about doing my dishes, so that's great. but i need to pick up after myself better. AND i have a bunch of stuff that needs to get sold on ebay, so i need to take pictures and stuff. i also wonder if it's even worth it for some of the stuff i have up on half.com to hold on to and wait till it sells, or just toss (donate it) so i have the space back in my apartment. hmm. thoughts.

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

If you aren't super worried about money, I'd just donate the stuff so you have space.

Re: back stretches - what are you usually doing for these? I'm trying to add stretches/other things for back/hips into my morning mobility routine and I'm having a case of "too much information, don't know what to pick".

[Pixie | Warrior] Carjack: Muscles don't get confused. They only get angry. | Catspaw: I'm always willing to help dig holes for your bodies. | Twitter | Instagram | chammy has a log | chammy competes at the end

There IS a nightlight thread! I knew it! So sorry to have heard about your back issues and I hope your stretches and PT help nurture you back to that healed happy place sooner rather than later. 

I was thinking about picking up the Goldfinch the other day, and now I think I will for sure. I had an AP english teacher in high school who was obsessed with the Secret History and it's kind of stuck with me as a result. I was surprised it took Donna Tart so long to write another novel, though apparently that was a good call on her part with this whole pulitzer-winning effort.

I was only in the city from 11pm Friday to 10 am Saturday morning this past weekend. I wish it had turned out differently so I could have seeen youuu. I think Mike + I will be aiming to spend some time there in October if you'll be around? 

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

If you aren't super worried about money, I'd just donate the stuff so you have space.

Re: back stretches - what are you usually doing for these? I'm trying to add stretches/other things for back/hips into my morning mobility routine and I'm having a case of "too much information, don't know what to pick".

yeah, i'd really like to make some money back. but i'll have to decide what can really be donated versus what can actually make money

as for my back stretches, these are SUPER light. but here's what i do. 

3x30 sec, both knees to chest (laying on the floor) 

3x30 sec each leg, one knee to chest, other knee bent on the floor

3x30 sec each leg, one knee to chest, other leg flat on the floor

3x30 sec each leg piriformis stretch. i do the one where you pull the knees in : 

3x30 sec each leg stretching hamstring with a yoga strap

then ~ 10 cat camels

There IS a nightlight thread! I knew it! So sorry to have heard about your back issues and I hope your stretches and PT help nurture you back to that healed happy place sooner rather than later. 

I was thinking about picking up the Goldfinch the other day, and now I think I will for sure. I had an AP english teacher in high school who was obsessed with the Secret History and it's kind of stuck with me as a result. I was surprised it took Donna Tart so long to write another novel, though apparently that was a good call on her part with this whole pulitzer-winning effort.

I was only in the city from 11pm Friday to 10 am Saturday morning this past weekend. I wish it had turned out differently so I could have seeen youuu. I think Mike + I will be aiming to spend some time there in October if you'll be around? 

yeah, i am in love with the book so far! i don't want it to end and i'm not even 300 pages in yet. 

i will be around in october - just not the first weekend. 

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Don't know what the doc told you or if you've seen a PT, but do make sure you're stretching everything upstream and downstream that links into the part of your back that's giving you issues. Speaking from the experience of the Revolt of the Kingdom of Middle Butt (don't know me, osteoarthritis in my left hip that needed a surgical hip resurfacing - much better after but still stiffens up if I'm not careful), gotta make sure the neighboring lands are also stretched. But, sounds like you're handling. Easier said than done, but be patient and don't stress. It's gonna get better the same you get stronger - incrementally and with consistent work.

• Like 1
as for my back stretches, these are SUPER light. but here's what i do. 

3x30 sec, both knees to chest (laying on the floor) 

3x30 sec each leg, one knee to chest, other knee bent on the floor

3x30 sec each leg, one knee to chest, other leg flat on the floor

3x30 sec each leg piriformis stretch. i do the one where you pull the knees in : 

3x30 sec each leg stretching hamstring with a yoga strap

then ~ 10 cat camels

I'm just gonna blatantly steal this.  KTHXBAI.

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Don't know what the doc told you or if you've seen a PT, but do make sure you're stretching everything upstream and downstream that links into the part of your back that's giving you issues. Speaking from the experience of the Revolt of the Kingdom of Middle Butt (don't know me, osteoarthritis in my left hip that needed a surgical hip resurfacing - much better after but still stiffens up if I'm not careful), gotta make sure the neighboring lands are also stretched. But, sounds like you're handling. Easier said than done, but be patient and don't stress. It's gonna get better the same you get stronger - incrementally and with consistent work.

yup for sure. definitely doing lots of upstream/downstream work.

I'm just gonna blatantly steal this.  KTHXBAI.

haha nice.

Monday:

Fix the food:

Breakfast/lunch: 2 eggs w/ spinach. ham. 

dinner: 1.5 roasted chix breast. salad. 1/4 baked potato. 2 inch piece of corn bread with butter. 

snack: frozen blueberries

Fix the back:

15 min stretching/mobility

Fix the mind:

eh. work.

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Thank you for sharing the stretches :D Tried them out a little while ago.

you are welcome!

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

yesterday was an epic fail across all of the things.

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

yesterday was an epic fail across all of the things.

Well conviently yesterday was yesterday, and today can be not an epic fail!  Easy!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines