Wait...It's Almost August Already!? Chelkie Returns. Sort of.

Chelkie

Hello All, for those of you how know me, i'm back! ...sort of. 

In the past i've written pretty epic long winded intros and challenge criteria with charts and graphs and shiny pictures...exciting I know! Sadly I just don't have the time to get that all in this challenge.

The last challenge I ended up getting so busy I didn't have time to get on a properly dedicate myself to updates and staying ontop of this whole NF thing. Terrible I know. Then after that there was continuing health problems, new job position at work, friends leaving the state left and right, and a brand spankin new kitten to keep me off of NF. Sadly, pretty off of my fitness goals too. *shakes fist*

So i'm going to kind of ease back into this thing in a really basic easy sort of way as to not scare myself off. 

Main Goal: I'm going to be a bridesmaid in my friends wedding, and after trying on the dress I have to wear I was reminded why I used to workout all the time. Jiggly bits are so last fall. So i'm going to be trying to slim down a little before the wedding, which is September 20th. 

Goal 1: Workout 3 times a week. Doesn't matter doing what where why or how long, I just need to get back into the groove of getting my butt up off the couch after work. 

Goal 2: Eat less crap. I've gotten into the habit of grabbing easier less healthy items in my hectic new schedule and it needs to stop. Not quite ready to get back into calorie counting, it makes me a bit neurotic, but I want to focus more on eating less and of better substance.

Goal 3: Drink more water. It's always a struggle for me to drink enough water, but I've been feeling really parched lately, so this needs to be more of a focus.

Life Goal: Just DO all the things. Life is crazy right now, especially in regards to my new job, so I need to just put my head down and just do the the things I need to do. No time for extra projects outside of taking care of my new kitten, at least not for this challenge. 

Level 11 - World's Smallest Norn

Challenges: | Current |11 |10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

In other only semi related news, has anyone tried out the new NF Academy stuff? I like the idea of questing, but I feel like it's still too basic to pay $100 for, anyone having fun with it?

Haha well, the "here" bit is definitely up in the air. I started a new position at the company I work for and they have me working 12hr days again, which isn't conducive to extra update time on NF. Finally remembered to check in when I was near a computer, so here I go.

I've been working out but not as much as I'd like, more like two days a week instead of three. This is something i'm starting to crack down on, I really want to finish zombies run before even another season comes out and puts me further behind! :P 

I've started to track my calories on MFP again and that has been going really well, they've added some new features that is making it quicker and easier to keep a log. 

I've really went hard into the drinking more water thing. I bought a nice water bottle from REI and that has made a world of difference. Having a bottle sitting on my desk within reach is all it takes for me to remember to drink more. 

Doing all the things, i've definitely been doing that! Been working 60+ hour weeks, taking care of my kitten, trying to be active. Nose to the grindstone. 

Things have started to calm just a little bit though, so I should be able to sneak on here at least once a week from now on to do updates.

Monday morning update, yay!

I went to visit my sister at her new place in Seattle over the weekend and I got pretty much my whole 3 days of exercise. Being downtown they only use their car for really long trips so we walked everywhere. EVERYWHERE. It was fantastic! I forgot how much I enjoyed walking around in the sunshine. My sister wears a pedometer because her company health insurance is cheaper if she puts in a certain amount of activity every day, and on friday alone we walked over 10miles.

Drinking water I did pretty well, got at least a water bottle and half in every day. Less so on vacation, had a lot of beer. :P What can you do, shall have to up my water intake more this week to make up for the walking in the hot sun and the beer. 

Ate really well all week but I splurged on the weekend because it was my vacation. Mostly liquor calories, but again oh well and I shall get back to eating better this week.

Doing all the things has been very successful. This trip to Seattle was the last thing I needed to check off before my friends wedding in September, so now I can get back to focusing on working and working out. After my vacation though, I realized I really need to shift my work/life balance. Since the spring it's been workworkwork and I haven't done any of the things I like doing in my personal life. Its hard for me to get away from work on time because its so busy, but for my own sanity I really need to try harder. 

Anyways, feeling good for this upcoming week and my goal is to really focus on working out because i've been slacking in that area a bit this challenge. 

Haha sadly yes Quirky, they were sacrificed to the workplace gods. Too much work and not enough time to train for them. There is still the zombie 1/2 that I did last year that i might be able to do again though, so they aren't completely off the plate. 

This week has been excellent for working out though, I decided to try out the 5x5 weight lifting program and I like it so far, it's simple and has a handy app. I'm still skeptical on the amount of difference only 5 lifts will have on my body composition/strength but i'm in to see. My body has definitely been sore enough for me to believe something is happening. :P

I've been doing around 30min in the weights section and then 30min on the treadmill and that seems to be working out pretty well. Getting my lifts in and working through zombies run season 2 in the same gym session.

5x5 sounds pretty good and consensus everywhere I've read is that those are the only lifts you need. Of course, I'm assuming you're doing the big lifts like squat, deadlift, press, OHP and pull up. If you're doing finger curls and weighted toe raises, I share your skepticism.

If you're really cynical, you could try out PLP. A lot of people have seen good results with it (including yours truly) and because it's body weight exercises, it's pretty easy to squeeze into your day regardless of busy work schedules.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Ha! Weighted toe raises. Yeah i'm following the program which is squats/benchpress/row and then squats/ohp/deadlift and you alternate them. I think i'll probably stick to it for a couple months and see what kind of progress I make, if it's nothing to write home about i'll try something else. 

Monday (well Tuesday, but my work Monday) Update:

Rocked my workout goal, went 4 times last week. I'm slowly but surely gaining some of my running endurance back, and the recovery after my weight lifting doesn't feel so much like all of my muscles are immobile. Haven't made any PR progress or anything, but i'm getting back into the swing of things and loving the gym again. 

I've been tracking all my food using MFP, haven't lost any weight which is rather frustrating, but I always have to remind myself its less about the scale and more about the mirror. 

Drinking water has been pretty good too, dropped the ball a little bit over the weekend but i'm coming back strong this morning.

Life challenge of doing all the things has been roaring right along. Working 60hrs weeks, doing bridesmaid related tasks, finishing up my Japan trip planning and watching my kitten grow like a weed. Its been 5 weeks and he's already doubled in size!

This is the last week of the challenge and I definitely feel like i'm finishing strong. Started a bit late and have been bad about updating, but I actually really tried to keep up on my goals, so I feel like its a win. 

Alrighty, last check in of the challenge! 

Well I did okay working out last week, only went twice though. Water has been kind of a challenge away from work, but I drank a decent amount. I ate pretty well all week, though I had one cheat day on Saturday because it was my friends bachelorette party. The party was another thing to check off my list of things to do, so that was good. 

I think I did pretty well overall this challenge, I had a slow start but I think made up for it at the end. For working out I think I probably only managed a passing C, some weeks I worked out more and some I worked out less, but overall I think I passed. Eating less crap I think I probably managed a B. I've been doing pretty good tracking my food and keeping within my goals, and i've managed not to become to obsessed, which is a big thing for me. Drinking water I think I also got a B, i've been doing really well M-F as I have my water bottle at work with me, but I definitely need to work on how to drink more over the weekends. Doing all the things has definitely been successful. Checked off quite a few of my To Dos as well as have worked overtime every day at work in the attempt to get ready for my Japan trip. 

For my next challenge i'm going to start immediately, and go from the 8th-20th. I leave for Japan on the 10th and I know I won't be able to stick to my goals as well as i'd like. I have some hikes and plenty of walking planned but my running/lifting will go on hold, and I will stuffing my face with sushi, so my diet will go on hold. 

I think my next challenge I will also try to be more structured and better at updating, so stick with me people!

A sushi diet sounds great to me. Sign me up!

I have the same issue with water. I chug it all week at work and then have to struggle a lot to drink it at home. I usually end up realizing "Hey, I'm dehydrated!" and then gulping down a liter of water to make up for it. Or going through twice as much water at work on Monday.

Glad to see you back in action, Chelkie. Keep it up.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

If only we were like the Dune people who wore suits that you could drink water out of on all the time...except the fact that the water your drinking is your own recycled waste. Yeah, maybe i'll just stick to keeping a water bottle glued to my hand. 

I know! So excited for sushi! Though i've heard once you've had sushi in Japan that sushi in America will be forever ruined. Probably true, but i'll take the risk. :D 

Thanks Quirky, it feels good to be back!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines