Strong Lifts for us laydeez

p2tog

Hi all,

I started doing NF's Barbell Battalion back at the end of December and loved it right up until a month or two ago when I hit a serious plateau. I know I haven't been eating as well and my work schedule is fucking nuts, but seriously... I've been struggling just to maintain my working weights. :(

I decided to find a new routine, change things up a little. I suspect part of my problem may be psychological, boredom...

So I checked out Strong Lifts and figured I'd give it a shot. He mentions that women might want to add 2.5# per workout to the bench press and overhead press instead of the generally prescribed 5# due to the fact that many of us naturally will have trouble adding that much each time. I'm pretty sure this applies to me.

Who's got experience with this? Did you make adjustments to the program as written? I've done the first two days of it -- one A day and one B day -- and they've gone quickly because the weights are much lower than what I have been lifting on, say, my squats and deadlift. I'm super excited at the prospect of being able to add that much weight over the course of the program!

Barbells are a girl's best friend.

I've not done stronglifts, but have run similar programs in the past. You can either do 5# jumps until you stall and then move to 2.5# jumps, or just go with 2.5# jumps from the beginning. I'd prefer the second option, myself.

And yes, it goes easy at the start. Don't worry, it'll be quite challenging soon enough. :)

• Like 1

I've just started the strong lifts program and really like it!! I hope it goes well for you! I'm just beginning and can't finish my overhead press sets but I get a lil better each time! I do more deadlifts than I'm supposed to because they are kind of addictive lol

Level: 3 Race: Human-Wood Elf Hybrid Class: Rebel

[STR - 1] [DEX - 1] [STA - 8] [CON - 7] [WIS - 13] [CHA - 3]

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Yeah a newbie on SL too, OHP, I'm going up by 2.5 kg, same as Bench and Squats, but Deadlifts I'm doing the 5 kg jump and doing 5 sets as well, although when the weight gets challenging on the DL's I'll go back to one set.

OHP is challenging now and I will be looking for accessory lifts to help with that, now I'm just doing push ups, seated rows and lat pull downs, but will need to look at a few other things I think.

Wait! What............?

I'm doing Starting Strength's 3x5 programming (with pull-ups alternating with rows) and I actually like it much better than Starting Strength. Adding weight that fast, I've heard, makes it easy to plateau. While I'm a beginner, I'd rather add weight at my own pace...because I know I won't be able to add weight on some workouts (because of physical preparedness, stress levels, etc) and the strict add 5lb or add 2.5lbs every workout would get discouraging if I couldn't do it for one workout.

That's my take on it, having never actually tried it for real. All of these things are specifically aimed at men, so I had to find something that was more flexible and adaptable.

Fetchling Warrior, Level 2

str-9 dex-2 sta-3 con-4 wis-3 cha-3

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?â€

“For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.â€

― The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hearing that some of you struggle to complete all the reps for some stronglifts exercises (esp. OHP) has really helped encourage me to go forward with scheduling a "free weight orientation" at my gym to see if SL will be possible for me to implement there (if they have the right equipment). 

Not only am I unsure of whether I'll be able to do the exercises starting with a 45lb. bar, but it's intimidating to me since my gym is a university one and the free weight area definitely seems oversaturated with guys at all times (and I'm staff so def. older than the general undergrad types you see there.)

I'm a naturally shy/anxious person which I think makes it even worse! Mostly, I just have to remind myself that I have every right to be there as anyone else and I can deal with criticism/looks/whatever happens without giving up. I keep telling myself it's probably not worth the $1,000 investment to buy all the equipment to do the program at home but saving that cash is starting to sound better every day I go to the gym and walk by the weight room. 

I'm too old to be this embarrassed to go in there and work out.  :livid:

On my way to becoming a (wizardly) Warrior Princess!

Level 0

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 |

Hearing that some of you struggle to complete all the reps for some stronglifts exercises (esp. OHP) has really helped encourage me to go forward with scheduling a "free weight orientation" at my gym to see if SL will be possible for me to implement there (if they have the right equipment). 

Not only am I unsure of whether I'll be able to do the exercises starting with a 45lb. bar, but it's intimidating to me since my gym is a university one and the free weight area definitely seems oversaturated with guys at all times (and I'm staff so def. older than the general undergrad types you see there.)

I'm a naturally shy/anxious person which I think makes it even worse! Mostly, I just have to remind myself that I have every right to be there as anyone else and I can deal with criticism/looks/whatever happens without giving up. I keep telling myself it's probably not worth the $1,000 investment to buy all the equipment to do the program at home but saving that cash is starting to sound better every day I go to the gym and walk by the weight room. 

I'm too old to be this embarrassed to go in there and work out.  :livid:

I struggle with being anxious about the gym too... and I totally would be so freaked out about a university gym... gah I totally avoided mine when I was in school...  I think you're on the right track though to get an orientation.  When you feel like you know what you are doing you will have more confidence to go in there with your music in your ears, not look at anyone or care if they look at you, set up your workout and go to town.  Also possibly try early morning (4-5 am bracket) because regardless of what they think that time of morning is generally more introverted and people keep to themselves.  That time of day is for the focused.  None of the bro-training and gym-selfie BS for the most part lol.  

I really hope the SL5x5 is right for you.  I have been at it for a month or two and am really enjoying the simplicity and the progression.  OHP is still the hardest one for me.  Sometimes i can do the full 5x5 with the empty bar... other times I can't.  But my squats and deadlifts are getting pretty deadly.  I'm up to 110 lbs for deadlift and 80 lb squats :) so I'm happy that I'm getting stronger!  You can do it too!  Get in there!

• Like 1

Level: 3 Race: Human-Wood Elf Hybrid Class: Rebel

[STR - 1] [DEX - 1] [STA - 8] [CON - 7] [WIS - 13] [CHA - 3]

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

As a short female, I've had a lot of other women at the gym ask me about being in the free weight section (which is where I spend over half my time). The way I see it is, anyone who wants to use the free weights has a right to be there. I've been using gyms (university and regular) for over a decade and I've rarely had any guys bother me. Most people are there to do their workout and that's it; they're not paying attention to anyone else. Once you're a regular, other regulars will likely step in to help you out if someone is giving you a problem. On a side note...if you watch some of the "gym bros," you'll notice that they aren't using proper form. Then you can chuckle to yourself and it won't bother you when one of them tries to give you "advice." ;)

Aeshnidae, The Girl with the Dragonfly Tattoo

Human Ranger

Level 4 | STR 9 | DEX 8 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 8 | CHA 3

Aeshnidae Flips the Bird at Being Sick | Battle Log | Skull Crushers III

Intro Post | MFP | 2nd Challenge

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

"Nothing but the rain..."

I just started Starting Strength.  I've decided to increase the weight every other time instead of every time, especially on the squats, mostly because I've had a quite painful hip flexor issue that is messing with my squats.  My max deadlift is 185 lb and I'm really looking forward to hitting 200!  I obviously want to increase on everything else too but there is just something about the deadlifts I like.

In terms of the free weight area, I haven't had the problem but I go to a private gym with a capped membership. A lot of times I'm the only one there, and if there are any guys they've left me alone so far, other than asking if I want a spot once or twice. My biggest issue is that its a small gym, only one of everything (2 bars, but one rack, bench, etc) and sharing sucks lol

I've done Stronglift since October. Sadly the gym I go to is small and there aren't much weights, so when I for example managed Squats at 30 kg 5x5 I can't add weight to do 32,5 kg and the only weight I can add will bring it up to a total of 40 kg, which is way too much for me. So I have to increase my reps instead. 

Ent - Level 3

Strength (STR) - 6     Dexterity (DEX) - 0.5     Stamina (STA) - 2.5     Constitution (CON) - 2     Wisdom (WIS) - 2.75     Charisma (CHA) - 0

Squat 50 kg Current weight: 42,5

85%
85%

Short term goal to finish a 30 day squat challenge.

100%
100%

I've had to made adjustments to SL for this same reason..... fortunately, my gym has ordered some fractional plates which should be in soon, which will help me to progress!!!

I agree, in some cases (OHP and bench for me) 5lbs extra just feels insurmountable.

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I've had to made adjustments to SL for this same reason..... fortunately, my gym has ordered some fractional plates which should be in soon, which will help me to progress!!!

I agree, in some cases (OHP and bench for me) 5lbs extra just feels insurmountable.

I think just about everyone stalls on OHP first

Hwrdfrnd - Goblin Adventurer

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge

I don't do SL but I do Greyskull LP for upper body (hope it's okay for me to post in this thread.) It uses 2.5# increases for everybody on bench and OHP, which I really like. You can use 5# if your last set is 10+ reps, which it has been for OHP, but I'm sticking with 2.5# so far because of how that lift is prone to stalling first. I feel like the additional reps are worth it for the practice.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Hey everyone, just found this forum and thought I'd comment on my progress. 

Been doing SL since December (so a little over 5 weeks). My gym doesn't have weights under 2.5lb so it sucks on OHP, BR, and BP, but DL and Squat is pretty good. 

I'm up to (in lbs) 110 squat, 110 deadlift, 75 bench, 60 overhead press, 90 barbell row

I find myself hitting a plateau right now with these weights. I went in yesterday at lunch, and it was real shitty, mainly because I didn't allow myself enough time, but something wasn't right. I'm hoping that being less stressed will help me make these sets. 

• Like 1

kristing
Race: Rock Gnome | Class: Adventurer | Level: 1

[sTR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 0]

Current challenge: here

Challenge1: here (started late, but went somewhat strong)

Master Quest: <135 lbs

16.6%
16.6%
Starting: 165 lbs | Current: 160 lbs