Inferno's 2nd Alarm

Hey Y'all, I'm back for my 2nd Challenge. That means I can officially count myself in here right?

Introduction:  Hey, I am Inferno (Jeff). I am an about to be 32 yo Male. I am 5'8" and weigh 210 pounds (Down from 225ish already!!!!). I am moderately active, but overeat and have gotten too heavy. I work full time with an ever changing dynamic schedule. I have 2 young children, my boy is 4 and my little princess 2, I am married, and I'm a volunteer firefighter.

Main Quest:  Lose 60lbs by the end of the year

Quest 1: I spend time with my local chapter of Team RWB. I am not a Veteran, but come from a family of service members. My Wife and Team RWB got me Running for the first time in my life. I usually take part in at least one 5K race a month. Lately, my training and races have fallen by the wayside. For this quest, I will Run/Walk no shorter than 1 Mile, at least 3 Times a week. I currently use the Run/Walk Interval method. I will continue to work towards being able to fully Run a complete Mile. UPDATE: Just registered for a RunDisney Half Marathon AND! a 10K next February. Also known as the Glass Slipper Challenge. This means, We are doing the 10K on Saturday, followed by the Half Marathon on Sunday. I have done ZERO!! Running since I posted this quest for the last challenge, Which means I am an epic Failure. Here is to trying again.

Quest 2: I have made a massive change in my eating since I joined NF and the beginning of the last challenge. I have fallen off the past couple weeks. My weight loss goals have flat lined and died because of this. I need to get back on track. I was following with a Paleoish type diet when I first joined, but dont think that is sustainable for me. I want to read and become more educated on Macros and see if that's a good fit. Either way I need to reboot here.

Quest 3: I have abysmal body strength and get short of breath from minimal exertion (damned Asthma). I joined a new gym that is currently being built near my home. For the next few weeks, I will attempt to the Beginner Body Weight Circuit at least 3 x Week, with at least 2 Rounds each. This will be preparation for the gym opening and transitioning to a workout circuit there. ----- I posted all of the previous for the last challenge. Needless to say I have failed all around. I have not met any of my quests or goals and I Suck at Life. Sounding like the proverbial broken record, this is another quest I need to follow through on. The new gym opened July 17th, and to date I have not stepped a foot inside. I really want to start Lifting heavy things, but don't know how to start. I have myself scared to try.

Life Quest: We put our House on the market to sell. This is the 3rd time we have attempted to sell our house in the last year and a half. We have never received a single offer, and our realtors and us cannot understand why. House is in good shape and we've done a ton to it in preparation of selling. Our current house was a beginner home and we need to move on for our family. so Life Quest is to get this sucker sold and into our new long term family house.

Motivation:  Where to even begin? I have so many. My wife and my kids are my driving ambition. My wife has moved up to running half marathons and I am in awe of her. I want to have the energy and stamina to keep up with my kids, and not tire from playing. beyond that, I hate myself. I hate how I look, I hate how I feel, I hate never being good enough for anyone or anything.

• Like 3

I have no idea how to do the goals and rewards and what not. so if someone wants to show me how to do that, cool. otherwise I will just update how im doing and be accountable that way.

Doing better on Diet this week. Getting back on track with eating better and making those calories count.

Still have not made it to the new gym or done any exercise. Not really sure what my problem is. Pure procrastination I suppose

Making sure you are posting here is a great start. You are not a failure if you keep this up! You have already made great strides in weight loss. As far as keeping track and points for your goals, keep it simple.

Goal 1. Walk/run 3x a week for at least 1 mile.

3pts/ week and with 5 weeks left that would be 15pts per challenge.

15-13 pts =A, 10-12= B, 8-9 pts =C

Goal 2. Eating healthier. You need to quantify. What is your bad habits with eating? Do you eat out/fast food too much for lunch? Do you have a sweet tooth? Snacking at work or late at night? I can help and point you in the right direction with some info.

Goal 3. Exercise and go to gym. BBWW for 2 circuits is a great goal and then do points just like run/walk goal. You can also,challenge yourself this week to go and take the gym tour and see what programs you can take advantage of. They may even have a few personal traing sessions for free you can take advantage of?

Life goal. Sell your house. Not sure why but I would suggest if you have things to do to get house ready ( doesn't sound like you need to thought) is do one thing to get it ready each day 6 days a week. Maybe just as simple as calling realtor once a week. 6 pts a week, 30pts/challenge.

Just a thought. Keep pushing yourself.

• Like 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

I downloaded the Zombies, Run! C25K app. I was I little dubious doing this, because I'm not a fan of the zombies craze going on in pop culture. I was just looking for something interesting, different, and would keep me moving.

I just went for a walk and completed the Intro Mission. The quality and storyline are amazing so far, way better than I thought it was going to be. I look forward to following through this app and buying the original Zombies, Run! too.

yre9y9as.jpg

• Like 3

Life Quest update: We received an offer on our house this morning. We countered and came to an agreement, pending home inspection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

Outstanding news! Fingers crossed everything goes through okay.

Working midnights + Zero sleep for the day + Firefighters Day at the Erie County Fair = Poor Nutrition choices.

Key to this is to learn from it and be proactive next time. I feel you though. Just had my family here ( mom, dad, aunt, nephew, step daughter, her friend, and stepson) all staying at the house. We went to the State fair and I had to smell all the tempting food. Had a plan and treated myself to a corndog but other than that was good. Spent a lot of time in the kitchen cooking for everyone but it was good food. Normally I easily would have put on 10 lbs.

• Like 2

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Woke up and went straight to Drill at the fire hall this morning. Decided it would be a good time to go to the new gym for the first time right after. Walked in and got my little keychain card and scheduled the free assessment for tomorrow morning. And that was it. I realized I went in there without a plan. So as I stood there gazing at all the equipment I got full of anxiety. Didn't know where to start or what to do. I used the bathroom and left right away. Sat in my car and nearly broke down from the overwhelming feeling of dread and failure and anxiousness. This is not me! This is not who I am! So why am I here?

• Like 1

Going into a new place is scary. You made it inside! They should be able to give you a tour and show you around. That will help the anxiety. Go tomorrow to your appointment. Things will be better when you have someone helping you.

• Like 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Hi ya!

it's funny, I have read so many folks go into the gym, and get there...and expect to know what to do!

that assessment willhelp you out!

Check out my accountabilibuddies thread - storming the castle - I have put together a lot of links for first time anything...or beginning....http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51278-level-1s-storm-the-castle-with-christartist/

its in the week two battle plans!

I'm afraid of that zombie run thing...I think I'd have nightmares - but I'm glad you enjoy it!  Lot's of folks do!

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Another Update on Life Quest: things are moving fast now. Accepted their offer yesterday morning, and they are coming to do the home inspection this afternoon already! Holy smokes! It's put our looking for our new forever home into high overdrive

• Like 1

I have no idea how to do the goals and rewards and what not. so if someone wants to show me how to do that, cool. otherwise I will just update how im doing and be accountable that way.

Well the easiest way is to make sure you have SMART goals (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, trackable).  This helps make sure that what you'd trying to accomplish for the challenge isn't too hard that you fizzle out; or too easy and not really a challenge. Baby steps- gotta find your bearings to make sure you can chart some type of progress.

Once you have that all ironed out; in order to grade/reward is pretty simple. If the goal is specific/trackable, you can know if you pass, fail, or get a middle grade in between. ex: Working out 3 times a week. Did you do all 3 times? A for the week. 2 times? B.  1 time? C or D.  0 times? F for the week. Just grade yourself however you want to.

Lastly (this part is optional) if you want to have a bit of game/roleplaying in the mix, you can assign up to 15 stat points per challenge for these goals. What stat you get is based on what you did.  Was it cardio? (Dexterity/Stamina) Was it strength? (Strength) Was is diet related? (Constitution) Was is learning about something? (Wisdom) Was it getting out of your comfort zone or socializing in some way? (Charisma)

However you want to assign those stats is up to you; just remember that the max per challenge is 15.  Look at my sig underneath my post to see my stats after about 9 challenges here on NF to get you a rough idea.

Also, if you have any questions; feel free to private message me ( http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/50975-how-to-pm-and-follow/ ) or post at the Tavern ( http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/50989-tavern-ask-questionschat/ ).  We're a friendly bunch. Lastly, give a peek at the minis (which you can earn bonus +stat points from ( http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/50982-mini-challenges-please-follow/ ) Or the Library ( http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/50981-library-resources/ ) for more info in general.

Sat in my car and nearly broke down from the overwhelming feeling of dread and failure and anxiousness. This is not me! This is not who I am! So why am I here?

Completely understandable. You should probably check out this week's mini regarding that :tongue:

Gyms can be an intimidating place. Most of them are gigantic and if you're anything like me- I have social anxiety so when it's packed there, I just start to freak out.

The main reason that there's fear in this situation is because it's the unknown.  How do you break that feeling? Know more. I know it sounds kind of lame, but the only way to be ok with this is to get used to it. Even if you tell yourself in your head "I don't have to work out today, I'm just going to do a lap around the place and check things out."

Next time, try more.  Maybe do another round along the place and then see something you'd like to try that no one is near. Do it properly and then walk out.  You can summon up the courage for 20 seconds to be brave and test the waters a bit. And every time you do that, you'll be stronger than you were last time.

I realized I went in there without a plan.

So then treat this place like a warzone if need be. Have a game plan and try and take some baby steps like I mentioned above.  the anxiety is from the general 'idk wtf I'm doing' feeling and that only gets worse if you don't face it.

That was one of the many reasons I just went ahead and made my own home gym. Also, the $$$ situation, distance getting there, me making excuses, etc:

20140126_195754_zps2c9778d8.jpg

• Like 2

I've never really understood gyms either. I'm not quite sure what the specific nature of your anxiety though. Is it something you'd like to do and you're disappointed that you didn't click with it or was it more a feeling of alienation with the whole panorama or machines on display?

Glad to hear your house transaction is moving along. We've just finished something similar just over a week ago and it's so nice when it stops!

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Hey gyms can be intimidating, don't feel bad, it took me courage so even enter one for the first time and then I didn't shift from the cardio room for months, it took me ages to take a quick route to the changing room through the weight machine room, you should have been me pretty much our right run away the first time I was going to do barbell stuff!

You can do it, it is great you booked your assessment, you've had the panic the next time it will be easier! Hope it all goes well!

Good luck tomorrow and also, your goals are looking really good!

• Like 1

Be More Ninja

Current Challenge

Instagram

Nice goals :)  My last challenge I completed my first 5k ever.  Ran the whole thing.  I was using C25k training app.  I've been thinking of trying the Zombies one too, but I'm not all into the zombie craze either ;)

Woke up and went straight to Drill at the fire hall this morning. Decided it would be a good time to go to the new gym for the first time right after. Walked in and got my little keychain card and scheduled the free assessment for tomorrow morning. And that was it. I realized I went in there without a plan. So as I stood there gazing at all the equipment I got full of anxiety. Didn't know where to start or what to do. I used the bathroom and left right away. Sat in my car and nearly broke down from the overwhelming feeling of dread and failure and anxiousness. This is not me! This is not who I am! So why am I here?

Many, many times I have signed up for gyms and not used them.  I am currently a member of one again, but haven't gone in a few months.  I haven't been able to get myself to use the free weights.  My idea was to start off just getting me there.  So I was focusing on going to the gym 3 times a week even if it was just to go use the treadmill.  I am starting to get to the point where I really want to give it another go.  I want to gets some weights done.

Another Update on Life Quest: things are moving fast now. Accepted their offer yesterday morning, and they are coming to do the home inspection this afternoon already! Holy smokes! It's put our looking for our new forever home into high overdrive

Well, that is great news :)

• Like 1

Hey there!  

I'm just dropping by to let you know that we support your priorities.  You take car of what you need to, and we'll be here cheering you on.  When you have more time to communicate with the teams, we'll be happy to hear from you. 

Till then, be well.

• Like 2

"I don't guarantee my voice - why would I?  But I promise to tell my story."

-- Johanna Gleason

One thing that I would recommend for the gym is to hire a trainer if you can.  Some gyms have a free session or two avaliable when you first join so that the trainer can go over all the rules, how to use the machines, and other basic info to get you started.  Other gyms, have training packages that you can buy where your trainer will work with you to figure out what you want to focus on and set you up a plan.  I did this at my gym and it has been a huge help.  Without my trainer I would be so lost on how to do anything correctly and to scared of messing up to join any of the classes.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

You're all great friends to come here and cheer me on.

The anxiety came from lack of knowledge and a plan. I want to go into that gym and do the Big 4. Squats, Deads, Bench, and OHP. Problem is, I've never done those things. Don't know the proper forms and techniques or starting weights. I asked if a trainer was available but was told everyone was booked up. So that's what I'm hoping to tackle with the free assessment tomorrow. This isn't my first gym. I used to pay for a trainer but can no longer afford raft with my 2 little ones and life commitments.

Going to a new gym can be scary - even if you've gymmed before.  Different equipment, different set up, different people, culture.  You always have that period of getting acclamated and figuring out what YOU need to do.  I agree on trying for a trainer for at least a couple sessions.  It's key to be honest and sometimes a little pushy.  I've had trainers in the past and if they don't realize that you are having anxiety about it or don't know your comfort level they may just give you some workout that you won't be comfortable following through with.  As long as they know your goals and your comfort level and you are honest with them you are more likely to get something effective from it. 

Also - keep your goals simple so you don't freak yourself out.  You got there today.  That was great.  Go again tomorrow and get the assessment.  Then work up to what you want to accomplish.  You don't have to get to it all right away. 

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

For the big four start with the bar for each one.

Squats you may want to do some body weight ones first.

I saw in the red pill thread that you where overwhelmed with being an acountabillibuddy. Just check the threads maybe once a week. There will be some people you interact with more due to shared interests and stuff. But you shouldn't feel obligated to get on and support everyone.

As far as the whole gym thing is concerned just consider it a sight seeing trip to see what equipment they had. No one is going to say "Hey your the guy that didn't do anything yesterday". Don't feel obligated to do any certain plan or exercises in the gym right away either. Just find stuff you like.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] <--Current Challenge

When I go to a new gym (said as if I've done it more than twice), I sometimes find it helpful to just find a treadmill or stationary bike in a place that I can see stuff. That way I can kind of get a chance to look around at things on my own without obviously walking around looking lost. Then I kind of go to different water fountains, and get something to drink (even better when there is a line, so you have a good reason to look around). Oh, and finding a nice empty floor spot to stretch. That works too. You can look around all sorts of directions while "stretching your neck". :) People kind of expect you to warm up a little when you get there anyway, not that anyone other than you actually cares what you're doing (that's intellectually easy to say and understand, but can be a bit hard to really 'feel')

The tours and stuff are neat ideas too, if those won't make you even more anxious. I take better to settling at my own speed, even if I know the process could be made more efficient. I super recommend checking into the tour and seeing about a free training session, but I feel more comfortable going through my steps to get a bit of a feel for the territory before actually having to interact with a living breathing person and stuff. Maybe they'll help you, or maybe you can take the more direct & efficient approach.

This one time I did the whole brief trainer stuff was a nightmare anyway. Not for anyone other than the person in jpmy head mind you. This fit, young chick in spandex was trying to show me all these exercises and stretches. And I was trying to look at her out of the corner of my eye, cause if I looked at her straight, it felt like I was checking her out. I wasn't. I'm old and married and totally not interested (or interesting, depending upon who you ask :) ). It just felt wrong to really look at her directly, even though that's what I was supposed to do and the only way I was going to learn anything she was showing me. I was pretty sure I was blushing, although in real life I probably totally wasn't. I did leave with a nice written list of exercises to do, if I had ever went back. Well, I'm sure it won't go worse than at for you, but even if it did, you can do bodyweight exercises anywhere. Either way, I survived and got a funny (to me) story out of it.

Level 10 Vegetarian Vampire Warrior

STR: 16 DEX: 7 STA: 6 WIS: 46 CON: 27 CHA: 17

Intro | Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

The anxiety came from lack of knowledge and a plan. I want to go into that gym and do the Big 4. Squats, Deads, Bench, and OHP. Problem is, I've never done those things. Don't know the proper forms and techniques or starting weights. I asked if a trainer was available but was told everyone was booked up. So that's what I'm hoping to tackle with the free assessment tomorrow. This isn't my first gym. I used to pay for a trainer but can no longer afford raft with my 2 little ones and life commitments.

Ah, right. I'm starting out lifting myself at the moment. I've got 2 of those 4 down now and I'm trying not to destroy my back learning to deadlift. It can be intimidating, especially if there are more experienced peeps flouncing about lifting heavy weights and preening themselves in the mirrors. I found the thing that worked for me was using a small weight room at a sports club (rowing) where people are more interested in improvement than showing off. I found it was a bit more accessible than a full-on gym, but I guess that's not everyone's cup of tea. I hope the free assessment works out OK. I've heard they are more sales-pitch than a "free" service, but maybe it'll be a good start, and if you want more help, I would try YouTube videos or the NF Strength Training 101 series ( http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/01/14/strength-training-101-where-do-i-start/) or a good book. I'm using Starting Strength but... Eesh, there's a lot of science in there.

All this will help you be a better runner in the long run but I'd say - firstly, take it slow and secondly try and think about the short-term effects of fatigue and don't do any heavy lifts immediately before long runs if you want your legs to have any pop left.

Great to see you doing a half M by the way - it's such a great distance. Come over to Scouts Guild any time you want to swap war stories!

• Like 2

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I'm brand new to gyms myself, so I don't have much to offer by way of advice there, sorry. Please try not to beat yourself up - gyms can definitely be intimidating and to walk into unfamiliar territory like that takes a lot of courage. You are on the right path; be proud of yourself. ^.^

Head high.

• Like 1

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines